Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Toaster from Agros

Options
  • 24-05-2017 9:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭

I bought a toaster from Argos 8 days ago. The toaster works perfectly except that the bread is too big for the toaster. A standard slice of bread.
    Does anyone know if I can return toaster, it's been used because we experimented with the bread (cutting it in half / toasting the top and turning it and toasting the bottom). It's now back in it's box and the old toaster back on the countertop :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭sidcon

I bought a toaster from Argos 8 days ago. The toaster works perfectly except that the bread is too big for the toaster. A standard slice of bread.
    Does anyone know if I can return toaster, it's been used because we experimented with the bread (cutting it in half / toasting the top and turning it and toasting the bottom). It's now back in it's box and the old toaster back on the countertop :(
    What type of bread are you putting in it
    Can you put a photo up or measure the width of the section to put in the toast

• Registered Users Posts: 81,581 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Check the receipt, some items are excluded from the 30 day exchange, it will list the exclusion on it. It's really up to them but if the receipt says you can they will refund you.

As a rule of thumb it's a good idea to read the reviews of each toaster first, lots of them now only fit tiny bread sizes.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭smiley girl

sidcon wrote: »
    What type of bread are you putting in it
    Can you put a photo up or measure the width of the section to put in the toast

The bread is Irish Pride square cut, the bread is 10cm wide, put into the toaster sideways and the toaster depth is 8cm. So there is a good bit of bread not toasted! We put the bread in sideways cos more of it fit that way but the 'regular' slice pan bread doesn't fit.

Check the receipt, some items are excluded from the 30 day exchange, it will list the exclusion on it. It's really up to them but if the receipt says you can they will refund you.

As a rule of thumb it's a good idea to read the reviews of each toaster first, lots of them now only fit tiny bread sizes.

The toaster works though, it's not faulty. The size of the bread slot is the only issue. Now that isn't used I wondered if they would think I was a chancer!!
    I will definitely be checking the reviews in future, I never for a minute thought the bread would be too big :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭LeakingLava

I work in a retailer and sadly, for any retailer, if they wanted to really follow policy, you can't return unsealed products because legally speaking, a retailer(similar to Argos or my workplace) can't sell 'second hand' products. But, this is not really followed very strictly. Best bet is to go in and try to return the item, if they're in a good mood, they'll take it, but if they're under supervision or whatever else that pushes them to follow policy, then sadly, they have to say no to you, hoping that you don't become upset by them just following rules.

TL;DR, Only way to find out is to go into Argos and try. They're usually lenient. :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Argos's returns policy is probably the most vague and customer beneficial out there. I would consider a toaster that can't toast normal bread to not be fit for purpose but there's a good chance they'd take it back even without mentioning that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

L1011 wrote: »
    Argos's returns policy is probably the most vague and customer beneficial out there. I would consider a toaster that can't toast normal bread to not be fit for purpose but there's a good chance they'd take it back even without mentioning that.

What's "normal bread", thin cut or thick, long or short? It's like saying a kettle that won't fill a certain sized teapot.

M

The toaster works though, it's not faulty. The size of the bread slot is the only issue. Now that isn't used I wondered if they would think I was a chancer!!
    I will definitely be checking the reviews in future, I never for a minute thought the bread would be too big :eek:

Doesn't matter if it works or not if it's not excluded as part of the 30 day exchange policy. Selling a toaster in Ireland with little or no supported bread to buy is asking for trouble, their problem for being so idiotic.

M

davo10 wrote: »
    What's "normal bread", thin cut or thick, long or short? It's like saying a kettle that won't fill a certain sized teapot.

If it doesn't fit a slice of Oul Mr Brennans it's not fit for purpose :pac:

Saying it's not "fit for purpose" because it doesn't toast a certain size of bread is like saying my jeans are not "fit for purpose" because they don't fit my waist, it's stupid. Shorter bread can be toasted, the op just didn't check if the size he/she likes fits.

• Advertisement

Ah here, are you saying you can't buy different size bread? Have you ever gone shopping, thereare lots of different batch sizes.

Jeez, if you want to toast all sizes of bread, buy a bigger toaster. This thread takes the biscuit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

You need a "long slot toaster" to fully take a regular sliced pan.

A standard toaster toast standard "toasting" bread.

Plenty of long slot options from budget price to top end.

M

Saying it's not "fit for purpose" because it doesn't toast a certain size of bread is like saying my jeans are not "fit for purpose" because they don't fit my waist, it's stupid. Shorter bread can be toasted, the op just didn't check if the size he/she likes fits.
    Ah here, are you saying you can't buy different size bread? Have you ever gone shopping, thereare lots of different batch sizes.

Jeez, if you want to toast all sizes of bread, buy a bigger toaster. This thread takes the biscuit.

It's like buying a car and then when you take it home you find out it's only designed to drive on motorways, completely unfit for purpose. I would estimate that the market for normal sized bread is at least 80% or more of what is sold in Ireland, if the toaster doesn't support this than it shouldn't be sold here, perhaps it's more suitable to the continental market where loaves of bread are tiny.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Go to a shop, look at sliced pans. There's a pretty standard size, and "Irish Pride square cut" would be said size.

Go to a shop, look at sliced pans. There's a pretty standard size, and "Irish Pride square cut" would be said size.

Go way outta that, is this AH? This wins the prize. You should just buy a toaster that toasts Irish Pride square cut.

It's like buying a car and then when you take it home you find out it's only designed to drive on motorways, completely unfit for purpose. I would estimate that the market for normal sized bread is at least 80% or more of what is sold in Ireland, if the toaster doesn't support this than it shouldn't be sold here, perhaps it's more suitable to the continental market where loaves of bread are tiny.

Its like buying a 1.1L car and then saying because it doesn't go as fast as a 2L car it's not fit for purpose. Both are cars, both can be driven, they just have different sized engines. The mind boggles.

Go way outta that, is this AH? This wins the prize. You should just buy a toaster that toasts Irish Pride square cut.

I understand what you are saying but it find it very strange for a standard size slice of bread to be too big for any toaster! Standard in this case because if you look at the bread shelves in any store you will see that most sliced pans are the same size.

Anyway, apart from all that I was only wondering if I could return the toaster because of that.
    However I have decided not to return the toaster. First of all the toaster toasts bread and second of all it's used now, not broken and not fit for resale. It's my fault for not checking measurements...a new one on me but every day's a school day :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

Wait till the bread is half toasted and turn the slice upside down.

You end up with evenly toasted slices then and no untoasted bits at the top.

Its not difficult.

prinzeugen wrote: »
    Wait till the bread is half toasted and turn the slice upside down.

You end up with evenly toasted slices then and no untoasted bits at the top.

Its not difficult.

The problem with that is the middle gets burnt!!
    It's not a massive issue, the toaster is what it is. I wondered if I could return it and now I am facing the fact that it's my problem not Argos's :D

Its not possible to tell what size will fit in a toaster you can't see before purchasing

I'd imagine you'd have trouble finding any bread to fit in the one described here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭rock22

I understand what you are saying but it find it very strange for a standard size slice of bread to be too big for any toaster! Standard in this case because if you look at the bread shelves in any store you will see that most sliced pans are the same size.

Anyway, apart from all that I was only wondering if I could return the toaster because of that.
    However I have decided not to return the toaster. First of all the toaster toasts bread and second of all it's used now, not broken and not fit for resale. It's my fault for not checking measurements...a new one on me but every day's a school day :D

If it is an Argos own brand, then i too purchased one. And clearly it is not fit for purpose.

I had considered returning it but thankfully the quality was on a par with the design and it failed after about 3 months. ( used about twice a week).

Perhaps you might be as lucky. Like me, you can ask for a refund when it fails.

Its not possible to tell what size will fit in a toaster you can't see before purchasing

I'd imagine you'd have trouble finding any bread to fit in the one described here

Maybe, but is that your criteria for designating something "not fit for purpose"? The bread I like won't fit in it. I suspect it's equally difficult for Argos to tell what type of bread you want to use.

The toaster still toasts bread, just not the type the op likes, does that make it not fit for purpose in your view? Or, does the op just need to buy a bigger toaster? I just looked at Argos site, some toasters have "wide slots" and "variable widths"

I thought you were taking the Mick, but you are serious.

Maybe, but is that your criteria for designating something "not fit for purpose"? The bread I like won't fit in it.

The toaster still toasts bread, just not the type the op likes, does that make it not fit for purpose in your view? Or, does the op just need to buy a bigger toaster? I just looked at Argos site, some toasters have "wide slots" and "variable widths"

Do you ever buy bread?

Is it not extremely clear that there is effectively a standard size?

Width is not the issue here - wide slot toasters are for toasting bagels and similar.

Do you ever buy bread?

Is it not extremely clear that there is effectively a standard size?

Width is not the issue here - wide slot toasters are for toasting bagels and similar.

I buy lots of things, but I don't consider them "not fit for purpose" just because they won't do what I specifically want them to do. This toaster is not broken.

The op is asking about Argos returns, anything they do will be a gesture of goodwill, you said it wasn't fit for purpose implying that the op has an entitlement to one of the 3Rs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Maybe, but is that your criteria for designating something "not fit for purpose"? The bread I like won't fit in it. I suspect it's equally difficult for Argos to tell what type of bread you want to use.

You do know that most sliced loaves are standard and this toaster won't take them, don't you? Therefore, it doesn't meet the needs or purpose of most consumers of toast.

You do know that most sliced loaves are standard and this toaster won't take them, don't you? Therefore, it doesn't meet the needs or purpose of most consumers of toast.

You do know that on the Argos website it gives details about toasters.

You do know that on the Argos website it gives details about toasters.

Not the depth of bread it'll take.

Personally I consider a toaster that can't toast normal bread to not actually be a toaster. If it was sold as a toy toaster or a micro-toaster, maybe.

Personally I consider a toaster that can't toast normal bread to not actually be a toaster. If it was sold as a toy toaster or a micro-toaster, maybe.

Dear God, it's like saying the average height is 5:8in and than saying a small car is not fit for purpose because you can't sit in it.

The toaster just won't fully toast the bread the op likes, it will toast other sized bread, it works, it toasts, the op should have bought a bigger one.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,247 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I can't be the only one who immediately thought of this, surely?

• Advertisement

So if you bought a normal toaster and the bread you like wouldn't fit in that, is the bread "not fit for purpose" because it won't fit in a standard toaster?

Honestly, I think you are trolling.

Advertisement