Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting Started

Options
  • 24-05-2017 2:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Alright boys and girls!

Looking to make a change in my life, more so for my own mental health/anxiety/self-esteem than a vanity point of view.

I would not class myself as overweight or anything like that, just not in 'good shape'. Its been something that I've always wanted to approach but I have always found it intimidating and frustrating due to my lack of knowledge on nutrition and exercise outside of the basics of running and swimming!

Would like to tone up and have a better physique as I think it will help my confidence and the low opinion I have of myself currently.

I just don't know where to start, a lot of conflicting information on the internet!

Would be very grateful for any replies or a PM.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

Hi Lillie- I'm guessing from your username that you are female. Forgive me if I'm wrong.
    To "tone" you need to lose fat and gain muscle. The way to do this is eat healthily and lift weights. I won't go into technicalities of diet here. A good weight lifting programme is "New rules of lifting for women". It comes as a book (and
    maybe other formats). If you are not familiar with how to do weight lifting get a trainer in a gym etc to show you the correct form.
    An alternative is to try kettlebells. Get a few lessons (or join a group class for a few weeks) to learn technique. Good luck with it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭LincolnHawk

Join a gym that has regular free classes. Spinning, boot camp, boxercise...all that stuff.
    Easiest way to get started is just turning up. Once you get fitter and stronger and more knowledgeable you can decide for yourself how you want to train.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭SarahMollie

Join a gym that has regular free classes. Spinning, boot camp, boxercise...all that stuff.
    Easiest way to get started is just turning up. Once you get fitter and stronger and more knowledgeable you can decide for yourself how you want to train.

I have to say that having done this in the past, it doesnt always work. Free classes in gyms tend to be very transient and don't really offer progression as people are only ever dropping in, so they're at basically the same level all the time. Also, theres no accountability on you to turn up, if you're not there, you won't be missed.

Whats worked for me is small group training with a PT. Set times, and he progresses me every week. I'm seeing much better results and in terms of building muscle (I've zero body building aspirations by the way!) I'm definitely doing more. I'm squatting around 55kg and deadlifting 65kg, which you just wouldnt get to do in a free gym class. I can feel my shape changing now from lifting the heavy weights, and my trainer says (with diet) that its the best way to shed body fat.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭LincolnHawk

The amount of lurking PTs in these threads is unreal. Don't waste your money OP

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭freemenfitness

Hi Op,

Read through the stickies on here for changing your physique the top thing is diet after that lifting some weights will really help to shape your body. Don't be worried about getting bulky etc done right it's incredibly hard to do it which is why people spend years working on it. Tone up = muscle tone which = lose fat + build muscle.

Set yourself some small achievable goals to work towards. I wish you all the best with it if you have any specific questions feel free to ask.

• Advertisement
Advertisement