Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marathon Improvers Thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,034 ✭✭✭✭event

I dont do many LSRs at PMP but I do speedwork during the week quicker than PMP. Been working so far for me anyway.

I wont get an LSR in this weekend as have a funeral to attend. One of those things, I'm not going to really stress out over it.

Looking at my LSRs, so far I have done

15m @ 08:16. Elevation gain 1093ft

17m @ 08:38. Elevation gain 1572ft

20m @ 08:28. Elevation gain 1161ft

18m @ 08:37. Elevation gain 1024ft

Ratoath half marathon 13.1m @ 07:01.

What I would like to do now is

Weekend of 24/25 Sept - 22m @ 08:45

Weekend of 01/02 Oct - 18m. 6m @ 08:45, 6m @ 08:30, 3m @ 08:15, 3m @ 08:00

Weekend of 08/09 Oct - 22m @ 08:45

For any of the more experienced folks, what does that look like? Should I get some PMP in to the 2 x 22m runs?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,448 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

I don't think there's any particular rule of thumb about PMP volume, varies from plan to plan. Definitely good to be getting some idea of what it feels like though.

For me, this week, four weeks out from Chicago, the midweek medium long run (14 total) had 4 at MP and 4 a good bit faster than MP (closer to half marathon pace). Other schedules I've done, Hanson for example, would have 10 at MP at this stage. Pfitzinger would have had 14 @ MP a couple of weeks back. All depends on the mix!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

4x4km with 1km float in the middle of my long run; Long run is 34km altogether

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Bgiraffe

Similar situation with Covid in the final week before Manchester marathon back in April. Tested positive on Monday, mild dose, tested clear on the Thursday afternoon. Did the race in the end with no ill effects. All a bit bizarre but true. Not in any way a recommendation for any course of action, just my experience. Good luck with whatever you do.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Unthought Known

So, Dublin HM this morning and a chance to see how Hansons advanced plan is working. Previous PB was 1:34:59 and today I came in with 1:31:25, but more importantly I felt strong and in control for the whole race . Also passed the 10m marker at 69:40, 2 minutes faster than FD10 4 weeks ago (but I'd say the better conditions today played a part).

More confident now of hitting <3:20 at DCM.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭Wottle

Smashing job, tempted at all to adjust to sub 3'15?

I'd a much better run yesterday, confidence in a far better place. I'm happy to put Ratoath behind me as a blip. Yesterday was a 22 miler with 4x3 miles at roughly 7'15 to 7'20 mile pace average. Hilly enough course and heart rate back into normal ranges.

I'll see how next 2 weeks go but looking at sub 3'10 as the target.

Only issue now is the bottom of my heel (pf from overuse, I think). Sore after but not during, ongoing for about 6 months but yesterday was especially sore after.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,416 ✭✭✭Lazare

Excellent. Had a similar experience.

10k predicted 1:36:45 and I came in 1:33:44 with a 15 sec negative split.

Other than a spell at around 6m I felt really strong throughout and in control. Picked the last km up to almost 5k pace with a really strong kick down the finishing straight. Massive confidence boost.

Target for DCM has been 3:22. Yesterday suggests 3:17 so may reconsider.

Just a couple of other things, I bought a new pair of Vaporflies. The current pair have 300 miles (500k) on them and still feel fine but do have a couple of years on the heel.

And secondly, I think I've dissed Maurten on here a few times. I picked up the 320 packet rather than 160 and found them really good on yesterday's run.

I'm aiming to take 80g of carbs every hour and yesterday went:

100g pasta night before

Mile 2.5 - 40g beta fuel gel

Mile 7 - 40g Maurten

Mile 10.5 - 40g beta fuel gel

Mile 14 - 40g Maurten

Mile 17.5 - 40g beta fuel gel

I mixed the Maurten with 500ml water and divided it into 2x250ml soft flasks. I did bring a 3rd soft flask with water but will replace that with more Maurten and one more gel on the day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,448 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Do you sip the water with Maurten as you go or do you drink the whole 250ml in one go at each of those points?

My week went well though quite fatigued early in in the week. Yesterday’s long run went very well considering though. The humidity was way down which made a huge difference. I ran near 22 miles and that was 7Km WU, 4x4km at 8:20 (slightly faster than MP) with 1km floats and 1km LT before 6Km CD. I tried out the alphaflies for the first time. I’m going to copy a paragraph I wrote in my log as it might not get seen there and I’m wondering if anybody has any thoughts?

Very pleased with the run but not sure what to do about marathon shoes now. The Alphafly is without a doubt my fastest shoe but I’m not sure how good they are for me. My ankles are very sore after them and I think it’s because I possibly need a firmer shoe as they are a bit squishy for me. I don’t think it’s a good idea to do any more training runs in them but maybe do the marathon in them? The Vaporfly is a definite no for anything longer than a 10k/10 mile I’d say for me. Hard to know about the Saucony Endorphin Speed 2’s as my ankles were sore last week too but I think that was caused by the Vaporflies the week before. It;s not an issue I remember ever having before so I’m fairly sure it’s the runners. Next weeks long run is 28km easy with the last 4km fast so will wear the Gliderides and I think try the Speed 2’s for the following week which has 3x6k @8:20 in it and about 20 miles in total I think. Any opinions? I do wonder is it a case that my ankles just need to get used to a squishier shoe but maybe not the time to test that theory 6 weeks out when I’m in good shape and could wreck it!

I take one out of belt and sip it over the next 2 to 3 miles. The 250ml flasks are small and comfortable, no impact on arm swing or stride

Sounds like a great idea. I have a number of those soft flasks in different sizes and been using them over the last couple of years.

I've tried using the 500 ml soft flask and they just feel too bulky.

I’ve cycling style shorts with a side pocket that will take up to 500mls bottle in the pocket so I used to use that on warm days during the summer if doing a long run. You wouldn’t want to be holding the bottle though. I stick it back in my pocket each time I’ve had a sip. One day I wore the wrong shorts and had to hold the bottle and very annoying. I like the idea of your belt though. I’m wearing a Salomon hydration pack for DCM with 2x500mls soft bottles on my front and prob a 300ml bottle in my side pocket. I toyed with having a couple of spare bottles just with tailwind and could fill them if needed at water stations but I think I’ll have enough with a couple of gels in another pocket just to be safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,034 ✭✭✭✭event

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭py

My approach with the maurten drink mix is to drink the 250ml relatively quickly in order to get back to my running rhythm. Also to avoid forgetting to finish the 250ml or carrying anything in my hand longer than I have to. I take same approach with their gels.

• Advertisement

For my 22 miler yesterday, I had 3x250ml soft flasks, 1 on each side and 1 in the back.

I also had my mobile phone, won't have that on race day though and I had 3x40g beta fuel gels. Definitely room for a couple of more gels.

I've a pair of shorts similar to your cycling shorts, part of the Adidas range, they offer elasticated hip pockets. The bounce is awful with them.

The decathlon belt is very impressive and no bounce.

I don't mind sipping on the drink for 2 or 3 miles, plus it collapses. I certainly wouldn't carry 500ml, just 250ml flasks.

The guy from "the run testers" on YouTube does it too.

Same belt but newer version.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Sandwell

I can vouch for that Decathlon belt. Picked it up a few weeks ago and find it brilliant. Nothing moves around, no chaffing. You forget it's there, which is the best compliment you can pay it.

I have two dodgy ankles and when I started using super shoes they would be tender towards the end of runs and sometimes sore throughout the rest of the day. It alarmed me at first but I seemed to gradually get used to the perception of instability caused by the squishy foam to the point where I can now do 20 milers with no issue. It took about a month in my case, one longish run per week in the Endorphin Pros I was using at the time.

Any idea what the sizes are about? They are numbered 1-5 to the size guide is no help. Just looking to purchase online.

Editing to say I found a size guide in the pics. Reviews say it runs small though?

I've done 9 mini-marathons now. Where do I sign up to be a Boards.ie pacer at DCM?

@Kellygirl I'm a 32 inch waist and the size 3 fits very snugly, which is how it should be I'd say.

I'm 86cm around the belly button, also a size 3

• Registered Users Posts: 4,416 ✭✭✭Lazare

I was planning on getting a pair of Endorphin Pros for DCM. Have never ran in super shoes before. Was going to get them three weeks out, wondering now though if I've left it too late reading your post.

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭MisterJinx

I just bought one of these today. Hoping it works out. I looked at the size on the labels. I'm 34 inch waste and tried a size 2 and couldn't get it on. There was only size 4 left which is supposed to be 38 to 40 but it fitted perfectly, I hope! I would defo size up

• Advertisement

I ordered the size 3 online so hopefully that will do the job. Mind you, if it’s not in stock they could just refund me. They’ve done that before for an entire order I did last year.

Advertisement