Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

lower back pain

Options
  • 22-05-2017 12:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭

I am mid 30s. I’ve always had some lower back pain from time to time, since my early 20s.  It’s by no means constant or ever bad enough to require painkillers/trips to doctor. I might get it if I’m standing in the one position for long periods.  E.g. I’d get it a lot if I went to a gig or a festival, or on a night out wearing heels.  It’s an ache really.
    If I do weights etc at the gym, (which I’d hardly ever do), there are some days when I would feel lower back pain afterwards. It’s right down the bottom practically on my upper bum, in the area where you have those little dimples.
    Last week I did a yoga session, nothing too strenuous. I really enjoyed it, and felt good immediately afterwards, until about 1 hour later while at home, I started to feel pain in my lower back in the area where those dimples are.  It’s really annoying to do something that you’d expect would help your back and to get an ache afterwards!!  It went the next day.  Also, at the weekend I started Crossfit.  I only did the intro sessions where I was taught technique etc. I was really paying close attention because I’m aware there is something going on with my lower back, so want to make sure I do any lifting/kettlebells correctly to prevent an acute injury.  After the last session on Saturday, I have had that lower back pain back since!!  Annoying.. especially seeing I was really careful to follow instructions.

I also do pilates weekly, and the one exercise that causes me a little bit of bother is the bridge. I find it the most challenging of all the moves.
    What I’m wondering is,  based on my description does it sound like my lower back is weak (and requires strengthening?), or is it too tight?  Would both weakness and tightness cause aches?  

Thanks for reading.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,585 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

If you haven't gone to a physio, make an appointment.

There are lots of things it could be and better to get someone qualified to assess it rather than a bunch of people on Internet with no qualifications making a raft of suggestions, some of which may actually valid...just not in your case

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭nelly17

A lot of physios are guessing too - you will only really know whats going on with your back if you get an MRI

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭mcgiggles

Could be a million and 1 things OP. In my case, I get lower back pain in my dimples and it is my SI joints giving me jip! (Sacroilliac joints, flat joints kinda inside your hips!)

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Sin1981

Fair enough. I might go to a physio. However, having been to various quacks/physios over the years, I don't think half of them will know what's going on. 
    How does one go about getting an MRI in this country?  Is it through your GP? and can I just walk in and tell the GP that I want an MRI, end of.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,585 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Where are you based and you might get a recommendation for a competent physio

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Sin1981

I'm in Cork city. 
    thanks all.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭freemenfitness

As was said above it is impossible and irresponsible to offer advice direct advice for this online. An MRI would be good for piece of mind you will have to sadly get a referral from your GP so it won't be cheap but if it is anything major you will find out. If it does not require medical attention then you can go down the physio/stretching / strengthening route to resolve the issue.

Best of luck with it all

• Registered Users Posts: 1,955 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

Sin1981 wrote: »
    I am mid 30s. I’ve always had some lower back pain from time to time, since my early 20s.  It’s by no means constant or ever bad enough to require painkillers/trips to doctor. I might get it if I’m standing in the one position for long periods.  E.g. I’d get it a lot if I went to a gig or a festival, or on a night out wearing heels.  It’s an ache really.
    If I do weights etc at the gym, (which I’d hardly ever do), there are some days when I would feel lower back pain afterwards. It’s right down the bottom practically on my upper bum, in the area where you have those little dimples.
    Last week I did a yoga session, nothing too strenuous. I really enjoyed it, and felt good immediately afterwards, until about 1 hour later while at home, I started to feel pain in my lower back in the area where those dimples are.  It’s really annoying to do something that you’d expect would help your back and to get an ache afterwards!!  It went the next day.  Also, at the weekend I started Crossfit.  I only did the intro sessions where I was taught technique etc. I was really paying close attention because I’m aware there is something going on with my lower back, so want to make sure I do any lifting/kettlebells correctly to prevent an acute injury.  After the last session on Saturday, I have had that lower back pain back since!!  Annoying.. especially seeing I was really careful to follow instructions.

I also do pilates weekly, and the one exercise that causes me a little bit of bother is the bridge. I find it the most challenging of all the moves.
    What I’m wondering is,  based on my description does it sound like my lower back is weak (and requires strengthening?), or is it too tight?  Would both weakness and tightness cause aches?  

Thanks for reading.

You have my sympathies as it is something I suffer from myself although I am a lot older than you. Pilates / stretching works for me but like most people, when the pain goes the stretching usually goes too! The big thing is the worry that what you might be exacerbating the problem which is why you need to get it checked. An MRI at your age sounds ridiculous to me unless you can recall a pretty serious injury you had when you were younger. An enormous amount of people get lower back pain from just sitting at work or slouching on the sofa at home.

Go to a physio first, it is amazing the relief you can get from just one session of manipulation (if that is the problem). A decent Chartered Physio will locate your pinch points in seconds and, if he or she, can't sort the problem, they will escalate it up the line to a GP, then MRI, then consultant if necessary. For the sake of €40-€50 it will be the best money you will spend this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 IronSteve

Back pain is usually the result of repeated bad movements over extended periods. How you stand, how you sit, bending to unload the dishwasher, bending to pick up stuff, how you carry the kids etc. A good physio will fix your back and teach you about posture and movement. But it's something you'll need to be aware of all the time and continue to correct your bad positions until you engrain good movement.

Good resource here if I'm able to post links
    http://www.drbookspan.com/BackPainArticle.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

MRI = waste of time.

Numerous studies to show that MRI does not have much correlation to lbp. All it does is give credence to your pain by giving you something to look at and say, yes that is obviously the cause of my pain!! And then what, surgery?

For acute pain, MRI is useful For sure. For chronic pain, its a waste of time

• Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

thehamo wrote: »
    MRI = waste of time.

Numerous studies to show that MRI does not have much correlation to lbp. All it does is give credence to your pain by giving you something to look at and say, yes that is obviously the cause of my pain!! And then what, surgery?

For acute pain, MRI is useful For sure. For chronic pain, its a waste of time
    agreed ^^ wont change the outcome

in my experience most back pain has two main causes 1) weak core 2) super tight hips

This will give you a primer on both, ill see if i can do a vid on this today and post it if you want - https://www.dominicmunnelly.ie/articles-1/2016/11/13/improve-your-mobility?rq=mobility

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Game Face MCGee

I suffered from a sore lower back for years and was treated by a physio who diagnosed it incorrectly, was doing the wrong exercises for years, finally went to another one and she got to the root, it was disc related ( degeneration of disc, not bulging but hairline crack around the edges) not muscular as diagnosed before, the solution is core core core, take the pressure off, just my experience

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭livedadream

Donncha Long is one of the best physios i have come across in Cork.
    I have ongoing TFL and IT Band issues due to a fall, this causes tightness in my knee hip and lower back, and im a runner so it needs maintenance. 
    went to my GP after the fall, got an MRI to diagnose.
     i went to two other physios who the first one told me he didnt need to see the MRI so i didnt go back, the second one basically tortured me for a few weeks, didnt give me any exercises to do and used dry needling on cold muscles, I passed out it was so painful once.
    Donncha ive had a good few sessions with now and I cannot recommend him enough. Firm but not torturous, good rehab exercises and really explains why he's doing things and what effect it has. Back on the roads and while its still niggly its definitely better.
    (and i am doing my foam rolling and strengthening exercises so that does help)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

Transform wrote: »
    agreed ^^ wont change the outcome

in my experience most back pain has two main causes 1) weak core 2) super tight hips

This will give you a primer on both, ill see if i can do a vid on this today and post it if you want - https://www.dominicmunnelly.ie/articles-1/2016/11/13/improve-your-mobility?rq=mobility

Further to my response.

This video might help you identify where your weak link is - core or tight hips or both. See how you get on with the tests in the video

https://youtu.be/_mAjbv4FDzE

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Deer

I've had terrible back pain for years. Physio didn't help, chiro, osteo, nothing. Had mris and doc kept giving me painkillers. I changed doc and they sent me to a sports physician who did another mri and showed me what other mri missed - wasted muscles. Very common and under diagnosed. He sent me to a trainer where I train and lift heavy weights with other people with my issue. And most importantly learn how to move properly. My back misery is over. I have had to work hard at it but I'm so much better. Wasn't even allowed cardio for a year because I wasn't moving properly and causing huge problems to my back. Anyway consultant is based in cork so PMing you details. He is very good for back problems..who knows you may end up in my training group :)

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭d15ude

Similar lower back issues.
    Would like to work with a physio or experience trainer on core strength.

Any recommendations for D15 / West Dublin area, please.

Advertisement