Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Protein Bar / Drink

Options
  • 21-05-2017 6:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭

Hi folks,
    What is the best protein Bar / Drink you can get?
    As in what's the best for little as possible sugar content towards and highest in Protein?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭bladespin

They're cheats really but carb killa is lovely esp the mint ones, taste like mint aeros.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭gizmo81

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭marialouise

I think CarbKilla and Fulfil are pretty good. I like all these reviews:
    https://www.thebeltsander.org/protein-bar-reviews/reviews/

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Todd Gack

Quest are decent as bars go. Some flavours are hit and miss but cookies and cream and cookie dough are nice. They are on the chewy side.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Pterosaur

I love the fulfil bars but I've been reading that soy can increase your estrogren levels which is not good for the male of the species. Soy seems to be a big ingredient in a lot of these bars. Then again if you were to listen to every expert then you wouldn't be eating any food at all because it would all be banned.

They are delicious though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

Pterosaur wrote: »
    I love the fulfil bars but I've been reading that soy can increase your estrogren levels which is not good for the male of the species. Soy seems to be a big ingredient in a lot of these bars. Then again if you were to listen to every expert then you wouldn't be eating any food at all because it would all be banned.

The soy thing is a myth. I've tried a good few protein bars and they all taste chewy and bad, I'd rather just eat an actual normal bar

• Registered Users Posts: 24,554 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

jive wrote: »
    The soy thing is a myth. I've tried a good few protein bars and they all taste chewy and bad, I'd rather just eat an actual normal bar

Couple of hob nobs + coffee >>>> protein bar + coffee

Pterosaur wrote: »

It's not good for anyone really (if it's true), but I think a small amount in the occasional bar won't have too much of an effect.

Is it a myth? I don't want to drag the thread off topic, but I've yet to hear from any source that soy products have absolutely no effects on the endocrine system...
    https://authoritynutrition.com/is-soy-bad-for-you-or-good/ is just one article that says it's sort of vague and until disproven, best avoided. What do you think?

Is it a myth? I don't want to drag the thread off topic, but I've yet to hear from any source that soy products have absolutely no effects on the endocrine system...
    https://authoritynutrition.com/is-soy-bad-for-you-or-good/ is just one article that says it's sort of vague and until disproven, best avoided. What do you think?

Here's a fairly comprehensive run down: http://www.veganhealth.org/articles/soy_wth

TL;DR - Shown to be beneficial in preventing various types of cancer, >12 servings a day can produce enlarged breast tissue to men sensitive to soy.

So basically unless you are going absolutely insane on the tofu, tempeh, soy milk, soy protein bars, etc. you will be absolutely fine!

Here's a fairly comprehensive run down: http://www.veganhealth.org/articles/soy_wth

TL;DR - Shown to be beneficial in preventing various types of cancer, >12 servings a day can produce enlarged breast tissue to men sensitive to soy.

So basically unless you are going absolutely insane on the tofu, tempeh, soy milk, soy protein bars, etc. you will be absolutely fine!

Thanks for that, a lot of very interesting stuff.

"Women at risk for endometrial cancer might use caution in eating more than one serving per day of soy." PCOS has played (and continues to play) a central role in my health 'journey' or whatever you want to call it, so if even this article is outlining that women should eat soy in moderation, I think I'll avoid it where possible. Like I said in my first post, I think a small amount in the occasional bar wouldn't affect me too much, and I do eat it, but I still wouldn't go so far as to say the "whole soy thing is a myth."

Craving a Fulfil bar now :P

By the way OP, is there a reason it has to be a bar or a drink? 100g of chicken would get you more good quality protein than any bar, for about 30% of the price of a bar, with no sugar to worry about...

• Advertisement

Thanks for that, a lot of very interesting stuff.

"Women at risk for endometrial cancer might use caution in eating more than one serving per day of soy." PCOS has played (and continues to play) a central role in my health 'journey' or whatever you want to call it, so if even this article is outlining that women should eat soy in moderation, I think I'll avoid it where possible. Like I said in my first post, I think a small amount in the occasional bar wouldn't affect me too much, and I do eat it, but I still wouldn't go so far as to say the "whole soy thing is a myth."

Fair point, being a male I glossed over that piece! Like with any nutritional studies, there seems to be conflicting evidence. The usual rule of thumb 'everything in moderation' seems to be the way to go

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭laurie88

Hi folks,
    As in what's the best for little as possible sugar content towards and highest in Protein?

I use isagenix pro shakes
    36gm of undenatured protein

laurie88 wrote: »
    I use isagenix pro shakes
    36gm of undenatured protein

They're fairly high in sugar at 9g per serving and 52% protein.

They're fairly high in sugar at 9g per serving and 52% protein.

Have you out do you use them?
    What types of sugars are they?
    I am no nutritionist expert, but I trusted friends who are. One of whom is a family friend and someone all of Ireland's rugby world will remember too, Rico Gear.
    If you know nothing about supplements, like in this thread; one asks about it. Being a semi pro player back in the day, I made a few contacts, pro coaches, Olympic coaches, elite women lifters and fitness competitor. All 5 use the system and said the same thing. I started on their recommendation and am glad I did. I used bulk powders,
    My protein and they don't come close, taste is superb, quality product that I enjoy.

All 5 use the system and said the same thing. I started on their recommendation and am glad I did. I used bulk powders,
    My protein and they don't come close, taste is superb, quality product that I enjoy.

In what sense did they not come close?

Both have much lower sugar content and much higher protein content, which is what the OP is looking for.

Have you out do you use them?
    What types of sugars are they?
    I am no nutritionist expert, but I trusted friends who are. One of whom is a family friend and someone all of Ireland's rugby world will remember too, Rico Gear.
    If you know nothing about supplements, like in this thread; one asks about it. Being a semi pro player back in the day, I made a few contacts, pro coaches, Olympic coaches, elite women lifters and fitness competitor. All 5 use the system and said the same thing. I started on their recommendation and am glad I did. I used bulk powders,

Isagenix shake: 1 serving
    Kcal 280
    Protein 36g
    Fat 6g
    Carbs 21g
    of which sugars 9g

MyProtein whey isolate - comparing the serving size to get 36g protein:
    Kcal 150
    Sugar 1g
    I also don't think most people need 36g protein in a shake, the normal serving would be 25g scoop giving 23g protein and 0.6g sugar.

That's great you have friends in high sporty places, but the OP asked about lowest sugar and highest protein, in which case Isagenix would not be the superior product.
    Fructose was very high on its ingredient list, (which was very long might I add, about 50 ingredients), along with honey powder and fruit powders. MyProtein Unflavoured whey isolate has two ingredients, and the flavoured products have just four.

Nothing against long ingredient lists; a Fulfil bar has about 40 and I eat those occasionally. But for 20g protein (sufficient as a supplement), it's 190-205kcal and about 2g of sugar. CarbKilla is possibly even less, I'm not going to go into every single bar, but Isagenix is absolutely nothing special so don't go trying to promote it to the OP who may be vulnerable to misinformation.

OP: try and get most of your protein from your diet. If you must supplement, stick to isolate powders or whey powder from the sites already recommended here (MyProtein, BulkPowders etc) and try not to rely too much on bars and supplements. Meat, fish, eggs, cottage cheese, greek yoghurt, etc...
    If you're not sure, read the nutritional label!

Owned!

Love your posts marialouise, great info as always.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,042 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

FWIW Isagenix is a pyramid scheme type product. Rico Gear sells/promotes the stuff.
    http://anz.isafyi.com/isanews-insights-shifting-gear-in-new-zealand/

It's an absolute con, as is that marketing spiel posted above. Chances are they're selling the stuff.

bladespin wrote: »
    Owned!

Love your posts marialouise, great info as always.

Thanks, I wasn't doing it for 'owning', but it's not fair for OP to be confronted with rubbish products like that which are of no help to them. It was just information I found after a quick google, nothing special, but glad you found it helpful!
    Mellor wrote: »
    FWIW Isagenix is a pyramid scheme type product. Rico Gear sells/promotes the stuff.

It's an absolute con, as is that marketing spiel posted above. Chances are they're selling the stuff.

Wait so you mean the 30 Day Cleansing and Fat Burning System or the Shake and Cleanse Pak™ aren't the secret to weight loss???? :rolleyes:

Mellor wrote: »

would be great if you had first hand experience instead of getting your resources from the web only. If you had been introduced to Isagenix and had turned it down instead of reading it from the web.
    I do not sell the "stuff"
    I use the product only.

Most of you here who use any product would have, no question had it recommended it to you by a friend. Unless you have a degree in Nutrition and know everything there is about the formulation of any product, I sure as heck don't. I don't know about the levels of potassium or magnesium or any of the other listed ingredients. And neither would most that go into the shop or online. So I trusted and still do, the people that have used it and have got mega results from using it.

Rico Gear does not sell the product. You can't be endorsed by this company, unlike many other Jamie Heaslip, Sexton, (Maxinutrition)
    Kilkenny players using Herbalife for example.

The quesion asked was " What is the best protein Bar / Drink you can get? "

My answer was my opinion
    Have a stress free day:cool:

• Advertisement

would be great if you had first hand experience instead of getting your resources from the web only. If you had been introduced to Isagenix and had turned it down instead of reading it from the web.

You don't need a degree in nutrition to understand ingredients.

When you are new to the scene, which the original thread starter seems to be, it would seem daunting. When you are new to anything.
    This is not my thread but someone else's where we are here to give positive opinion instead of sub arguments about anything but the subject at hand

Yup, pretty basic really, broken down by percentage etc, if that's too much the nutritional break is easy to follow.

Carb killa (just got a fresh delivery :p), I know they're still cheats but yummy!

BTW, fulfil which are also quite good are on a great price in Mrprice right now, works out about 1.66 per bar.

I do not sell the "stuff"
    I use the product only.

Most of you here who use any product would have, no question had it recommended it to you by a friend. Unless you have a degree in Nutrition and know everything there is about the formulation of any product, I sure as heck don't. I don't know about the levels of potassium or magnesium or any of the other listed ingredients. And neither would most that go into the shop or online. So I trusted and still do, the people that have used it and have got mega results from using it.

The quesion asked was " What is the best protein Bar / Drink you can get? "

My answer was my opinion
    Have a stress free day:cool:

The question asked was:
    Hi folks,

and your answer was unfortuately ill-informed.

You have admitted you don't know much about nutrition, so while you are entitled to your opinion, it still wasn't the best answer to the OP's question. There are several people on this forum with a very deep understanding of nutrition whose advice would be more trustworthy than your opinion.

Anything that was recommended to me, I also researched, recommendations aren't the only way to discover about nutrition!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 emelegibs

Loving My protein my bar zeros atm! The macros are incredible, fav is caramel peanut! Also love carb killas but I got through them too quick ahaha

• Registered Users Posts: 39,042 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Most of you here who use any product would have, no question had it recommended it to you by a friend. Unless you have a degree in Nutrition and know everything there is about the formulation of any product, I sure as heck don't. I don't know about the levels of potassium or magnesium or any of the other listed ingredients. And neither would most that go into the shop or online.
    Actually if I was recommended it by a friend I'll still have a look at the basic nutrition and do research. Blindly believing a recommendation because it's from a friend is exactly why pyramid schemes/herbalife and crap like gets a foothold.

Case in point, you are here recommending it to the OP, as that's your opinion. But by your own admission you don't know anything about nutrition/contents. So not particularly valid.

I do understand nutrition labels, ingredients , etc. As do most of the posters above. The product you recommended is not good quality. It's main ingredient is basic whey/milk protein concentrate. The same is availible cheaply from any bulk supplier (myprotein, bulk powders).
    After that, the next ingredient is sugar. The same processed sugar used in coca-cola. Then it's minute amounts of MCT, olive oil, and vitamins. Which easy to be getting from your diet, not your protein shake.
    Rico Gear does not sell the product. You can't be endorsed by this company, unlike many other Jamie Heaslip, Sexton, (Maxinutrition)
    Kilkenny players using Herbalife for example.
    Well the link above confirms he runs a business selling it with his wife, it took 2 seconds to find out. He also appears in their promotional magazine sent to affiliates. So yes it's an endorsement.

Herbalife/MaxiMuscle are both crap also. Same pattern as the above.

Advertisement