Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

For the EU lovers

Options
  • 19-05-2017 9:41am
    #1
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭


    This is the EU at their dictatorial games again - thought control

    The EU has just passed a law where it can, essentially, censor anything on the internet that it disagrees with.
    Imagine if you were to post a video criticising the EU.....how long before they take it down?
    State control of your thoughts, because you won't see anything other than the approved version of "the facts". George Orwell was right...

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3oH5AfpCiY&t=3s


«1

Comments

  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,863 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha


    Mod: Please add some info on what the video is about and an opinion of your own instead of just dumping links.

    We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

    H. H. Asquith



  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭excollier


    Mod: Please add some info on what the video is about and an opinion of your own instead of just dumping links.
    Well...if you could be bothered to watch the video then it is self explanatory, but here we go: The EU has just passed a law where it can, essentially, censor anything on the internet that it disagrees with.
    Imagine if you were to post a video criticising the EU.....how long before they take it down?
    State control of your thoughts, because you won't see anything other than the approved version of "the facts". George Orwell was right...

    Your rights are being eroded a little at a time until one day you wake up and you have none at all...Hitler used the same tactics in the 1930s.
    The EU is doing just that - eroding your rights, totalitarianism, dictatorship. Member states still believe they have national sovereignty...wrong. EU law supercedes any national law.
    Have a referendum, fine, but if the EU don't like the result....well take it again or we will ignore it or punish you, so much for respecting democracy


  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,863 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha


    excollier wrote: »
    Well...if you could be bothered to watch the video then it is self explanatory, but here we go: The EU has just passed a law where it can, essentially, censor anything on the internet that it disagrees with.
    Imagine if you were to post a video criticising the EU.....how long before they take it down?
    State control of your thoughts, because you won't see anything other than the approved version of "the facts". George Orwell was right...

    Mod: It's against the charter of this forum to just dump links here and expect them to make your argument for you so you can ditch the "If you could be bothered..." spiel for a start.

    Any more questions about moderation, please use the PM function.

    We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

    H. H. Asquith



  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,863 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha


    You can use the PM function to discuss this further. Leave the thread for the thread topic please.

    We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

    H. H. Asquith



  • Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭Tayschren


    excollier wrote: »
    This is the EU at their dictatorial games again - thought control

    The EU has just passed a law where it can, essentially, censor anything on the internet that it disagrees with.
    Imagine if you were to post a video criticising the EU.....how long before they take it down?
    State control of your thoughts, because you won't see anything other than the approved version of "the facts". George Orwell was right...

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3oH5AfpCiY&t=3s

    What law is this? Can you post a link to legislation?

    I did watch the link by the way, didn't hear anything about the actual law


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭Cordell


    The EU has just passed a law where it can, essentially, censor anything on the internet that it disagrees with.

    Can you post a link? I will be interested to have a look at this passed law myself.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭excollier


    ok then, a directive regulating the provision of Audio Visual Media Services - a law in all but title, media control. It passed the vote, it will become law


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭excollier


    is no-one shocked or angered by this? If not, why not?


  • Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭ [Deleted User]




  • Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭Tayschren


    excollier wrote: »
    is no-one shocked or angered by this? If not, why not?

    Sorry but can you post a link to the LAW you said was enacted by the EU? Otherwise some people might think you were spoofing


  • Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭excollier


    Because they decide what "hate speech or crimes are" if they don't like it, even if it's the truth, they will be able block it in the EU. It will, be very subjectively applied, and if you don't believe that then I'm sorry for you, you'll never get to see the whole picture, or any sort of argument against their position. You'll only ever see their bland censored version of the world.
    It's called a dictatorship when the Russians or the Chinese or Iranian governments do it....but because the EU decide that they want that position, then that's ok then?


  • Registered Users Posts: 22,316 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia


    You need better sources than hysterical youtubers who 'take great pleasure' in interviewing noted Irish Nazi Justin Barratt

    http://www.irishtimes.com/news/neo-nazis-affirm-links-with-youth-defence-1.1098966


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭excollier


    Tayschren wrote: »
    Sorry but can you post a link to the LAW you said was enacted by the EU? Otherwise some people might think you were spoofing

    http://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/ALL/?uri=CELEX:32010L0013

    now rewatch the video, he has picked out what matters about this and why it matters


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭Tayschren


    excollier wrote: »
    Because they decide what "hate speech or crimes are" if they don't like it, even if it's the truth, they will be able block it in the EU. It will, be very subjectively applied, and if you don't believe that then I'm sorry for you, you'll never get to see the whole picture, or any sort of argument against their position. You'll only ever see their bland censored version of the world.
    It's called a dictatorship when the Russians or the Chinese or Iranian governments do it....but because the EU decide that they want that position, then that's ok then?

    Your not doing yourself any favors here, can you provide a smidgen of proof for these allegations?

    I did like the matrix first time I saw it,


  • Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Not_A_Racist


    I suspect that the OP is talking about censorship and unfair censorship.

    A feature of the modern world is the apparent inability of people to accept the world as it is.


    For example, Twitter has banned users for 'hateful conduct' for merely telling the truth. People post pictures of refugee boats and state correctly and truthfully that there are very few women and children aboard.
    Twitter then bans the user for 'hateful conduct'.


    Telling the truth should never be considered hateful conduct. Twitter's behaviour there is fairly ludicrous and bizarre but it is accepted as normal by many people and many people defend Twitter.


    The EU and Twitter seem similar in that both are quite happy to be delusional. They will both ignore reality and criticise people for merely telling the truth.

    People should be concerned at this.


    Victor Orban is not a monster. Angela Merkel is very divisive.

    The refusal of politicans to accept the world as it is is destroying politics and public faith, (if there was ever much), in politicans.

    Doubling down on failed policies does not work. Honesty is required now, not more lies.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭excollier


    Tayschren wrote: »
    Your not doing yourself any favors here, can you provide a smidgen of proof for these allegations?

    I did like the matrix first time I saw it,

    none so blind as those who will not see


  • Registered Users Posts: 22,316 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia


    excollier wrote: »
    http://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/ALL/?uri=CELEX:32010L0013

    now rewatch the video, he has picked out what matters about this and why it matters
    The link you gave refers to something that was enacted in march 2010


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭Tayschren


    excollier wrote: »
    none so blind as those who will not see

    “These illustrations suggest four general maxims

    The first is: remember that your motives are not always as altruistic as they seem to yourself.

    The second is: don't over-estimate your own merits.

    The third is: don't expect others to take as much interest in you as you do yourself.

    And the fourth is: don't imagine that most people give enough thought to you to have any special desire to persecute you.”

    ― Bertrand Russell,


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,559 ✭✭✭dubrov


    5 minutes of my life reading this thread that I will never get back


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭excollier


    Tayschren wrote: »
    “These illustrations suggest four general maxims

    The first is: remember that your motives are not always as altruistic as they seem to yourself.

    The second is: don't over-estimate your own merits.

    The third is: don't expect others to take as much interest in you as you do yourself.

    And the fourth is: don't imagine that most people give enough thought to you to have any special desire to persecute you.”

    ― Bertrand Russell,

    Just plug back into the Matrix..sorry EU and accept everything they say, you'll be fine


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali


    excollier wrote: »
    is no-one shocked or angered by this? If not, why not?

    Because it is the same tired old anti-EU spoofery.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭excollier


    Think free or just let bureaucrats think for you then


  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,863 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha


    excollier wrote: »
    none so blind as those who will not see

    Nonsense comments like this are not acceptable on this forum. You were asked to back up your allegations. Pithy aphorisms like the above do not constitute evidence.

    We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

    H. H. Asquith



  • Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Bushmanpm


    Anyone with an EU pension is stipulated NOT to criticise the EU.
    And talking of their pensions, have a gander at the projection of the EU Pensions cost over the coming years, it made my eyes water!


  • Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali


    Bushmanpm wrote: »
    Anyone with an EU pension is stipulated NOT to criticise the EU.

    Do you have a link to the Brexit campaign website for that?


  • Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭whatstherush


    Do you have a link to the Brexit campaign website for that?

    And look who have actually written it in to their manifesto
    http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/news/theresa-may-internet-conservatives-government-a7744176.html

    But big bad EU, the nativists victim hood must be satted.


  • Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph


    Ah yeah it's terrible. I hear they're forcing free roaming on us plebs from next month too. Will they ever let up?

    https://ec.europa.eu/digital-single-market/en/content/frequently-asked-questions-roam-home


  • Registered Users Posts: 18,139 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980


    excollier wrote: »
    This is the EU at their dictatorial games again - thought control

    The EU has just passed a law where it can, essentially, censor anything on the internet that it disagrees with.
    Imagine if you were to post a video criticising the EU.....how long before they take it down?
    State control of your thoughts, because you won't see anything other than the approved version of "the facts". George Orwell was right...

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3oH5AfpCiY&t=3s

    Do you not see the irony of your post? You claim the EU has a law allowing it to shutdown anyone who criticizes it on the internet - by posting a YouTube link to a video of someone criticizing the EU. :)


  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,084 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007


    excollier wrote: »
    Think free or just let bureaucrats think for you then

    But 'think free' would mean you'd have to consider the facts, like for instance the date of the EU directive - 2010 is not remotely close to recent! And then of course that would lead you to ask why would someone make such a claim if they were reporting something factual that you intend to rely on...

    And of course you'd have to ask who it is being administered and what case law has built up in the last 7 years and so on.

    Free thinking actually requires work, not just watching random YouTube videos. All a bit too much for you it would seem....


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Bushmanpm


    Do you have a link to the Brexit campaign website for that?

    That has nothing to do with the Brexit campaign, its been a stipulation before Brexit even got going.


This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement