Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yoga + kettlebells: questions about weights and routines

Options
  • 16-05-2017 8:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭

Hi all,

I am a man that does Yoga twice a week, which I really like. I am close to my ideal weight

I would like to tone my muscles a bit and increase my muscle mass a bit, but I really don't like gyms or weight lifting...

My girlfriend has bought kettlebells. I learned to do the swing and I think I could incorporate this into my daily routines. In fact, my trick is to leave them close to my shoe cabinet so I do kettlebells when putting them on in the morning or taking them off when I come back home... It is all about routines for me :-)

The kettlebells are light: 10Kg, so I was thinking of doing many sets during the week, as opposed to a few to failure
    How often do you think I should do kettlebells?
    Does it make any difference to do 2 sets of 50 reps separated by 1m vs doing 1 set in the morning and another 1 at night?
    Should I get a heavier set and do fewer reps fewer days?

I know it is way too many questions... but any guidance would be great!

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

mikelata wrote: »
    Hi all,

I am a man that does Yoga twice a week, which I really like. I am close to my ideal weight

I would like to tone my muscles a bit and increase my muscle mass a bit, but I really don't like gyms or weight lifting...

My girlfriend has bought kettlebells. I learned to do the swing and I think I could incorporate this into my daily routines. In fact, my trick is to leave them close to my shoe cabinet so I do kettlebells when putting them on in the morning or taking them off when I come back home... It is all about routines for me :-)

The kettlebells are light: 10Kg, so I was thinking of doing many sets during the week, as opposed to a few to failure
    Does it make any difference to do 2 sets of 50 reps separated by 1m vs doing 1 set in the morning and another 1 at night?

Thanks
    start by doing push ups, pull ups, one arm rows with the kettlebell (heavier would be better as you progress), squats and lunges with the Bell and lots of core work - plenty of idea here.

most guys i work with start with a 16kg bell so work up to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭Aspiring

Hi all,

Thanks

Why do you not like lifting weights, but don't mind the kettlebells? Lifting weights, and even bodyweight exercises are great for putting on muscle mass. Kettlebells aren't going to be as effective, because of the high rep ranges involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Ranjo

I downloaded a Kettlebell app (Android) which has a good selection of workouts. If you're looking to put on muscle mass a 10kg will build some strength but don't expect to be getting all buff! I have a 14kg one from LIDL which I'd use 2 times per week.

Hi all,

Thanks
    BTW you're already doing weight lifting by lifting up into dog up every time you hit that pose as its essentially a push up

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭mikelata

Aspiring wrote: »
    Why do you not like lifting weights, but don't mind the kettlebells? Lifting weights, and even bodyweight exercises are great for putting on muscle mass. Kettlebells aren't going to be as effective, because of the high rep ranges involved.

I tried doing weights before but I get bored very quickly so I get unmotivated and stop doing it. But I found that this little trick of doing kettlebells each time I take off my shoes when coming back home in the evening works for me. I know it might not make sense but that way it does not feel like a session and more like a 5m routine...

• Advertisement

Transform wrote: »
    BTW you're already doing weight lifting by lifting up into dog up every time you hit that pose as its essentially a push up

you are right. I psychologically find Yoga more entertaining though

And yes, I will have to increase the weight

Thanks!

Ranjo wrote: »
    I downloaded a Kettlebell app (Android) which has a good selection of workouts. If you're looking to put on muscle mass a 10kg will build some strength but don't expect to be getting all buff! I have a 14kg one from LIDL which I'd use 2 times per week.

Yes, I might have to use more weight. Does LIDL have them all the time or only occasionally?

Thanks

Only occasionally but I do notice they are still listed under some mega sale (cheaper than I paid for it)

http://www.lidl.ie/en/Offers.htm?id=1094

you are right. I psychologically find Yoga more entertaining though

And yes, I will have to increase the weight

Thanks!

You may not have to if you got a chin up bar that would cover upper back pulling movements which is chronically under trained in those that do yoga often. Plus most i coach that come from yoga background generally have very weak core

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭will56

Humane Burpee :D
    http://danjohn.net/2017/03/humane-burpee/
    15 Swings

5 Goblet Squats

5 Push Ups

15 Swings

4 Goblet Squats

4 Push Ups

15 Swings

3 Goblet Squats

3 Push Ups

15 Swings

2 Goblet Squats

2 Push Ups

15 Swings

1 Goblet Squat

1 Push Up

That comes out to 75 swings, 15 Goblet Squats and 15 Push Ups.

• Advertisement

Ranjo wrote: »
    Only occasionally but I do notice they are still listed under some mega sale (cheaper than I paid for it)

http://www.lidl.ie/en/Offers.htm?id=1094

I got it!

I did today a few sets and I felt unusually dizzy. The same thing happened to me 2 y ago when I tried to do aerobic HIIT. Basically, cycles of sprinting like crazy + rests

It seems that when I put my body into stress I have an oxygenation problem, maybe the rapid muscle contraction affects my blood vessels. Not sure...

I will try to ensure I am hydrated and I have had some carbs in case low blood sugar is a problem...

Has anyone experienced this before?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 32 IronSteve

The Turkish Get Up is one of the most challenging KB exercises, try that.

And look up Pavel Tsatsouline for different KB challenges and training

Has anyone experienced this before?
    Just ease into it. Let your body get used to the new movements and increase over time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭bonzo_k

You can add lots of body weight exercises into your yoga practice, assuming you practice a flow style, such as ashtanga or vinyasa yoga. For instance, you can add tuck planches, tuck planche push ups, L Sits, V Sits, handstands, handstand press ups, decline pike press ups, straddle to handstand, pike to handstand, pistol squats, hollow hold, the list is endless. I use all of these exercises as part of my practice, and it really makes in more interesting. Just use your imagination !

As transform said many yoga practitioners have very weak cores and yoga doesn't have much in the way of pulling exercises. I do aerial rope practice for the pulling stuff and ensure I include lots of core stuff in my yoga practice.

will56 wrote: »
    Humane Burpee :D
    http://danjohn.net/2017/03/humane-burpee/
    15 Swings

5 Goblet Squats

5 Push Ups

15 Swings

4 Goblet Squats

4 Push Ups

15 Swings

3 Goblet Squats

3 Push Ups

15 Swings

2 Goblet Squats

2 Push Ups

15 Swings

1 Goblet Squat

1 Push Up

That comes out to 75 swings, 15 Goblet Squats and 15 Push Ups.

That's a bunch of sh1t thrown together.
    That's not a thought out program especially for someone that already does yoga where they're doing a feck ton of push ups already.

Go get help properly op

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7 Boarder81

I use an interval timer on my phone with 40 secs on, 20 secs off x 3 sets as follows:

Double Handed Swing
    Single Hand Alternating Swing
    Squat Overhead Press
    Press Ups (On Kettle Bells)
    Alternating Plank Row
    Farmers Walk

Its quick (18minutes) and you can adjust weights/interval to suit your fitness.

Advertisement