Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Now Ye're Talking - to a Public Speaking Coach

Options
  • 15-05-2017 4:32pm
    Boards.ie Employee Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Boards.ie Employee

According to most studies, people's number one fear is public speaking. Number two is death. As quoted by Jerry Seinfeld, that means to the average person, if you go to a funeral, you would rather be in the coffin than giving the eulogy.

Our guest this week is a public speaking coach and expert who is here to answer all of your questions on how to deliver a well-crafted speech or presentation for work, school or special occasion.

They will give you tips and hints on how to overcome your fear of public speaking and how to find your comfort zone the next time you have to stand in front of a crowd and deliver a speech.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,817 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Any tips for when you get to the moment where your voice is quivering and you are convinced everyone has noticed? That's what gets me!

I'm fine when I'm 100% confident in what I'm talking about. Out of all the presentations I have given at college or on coaching courses I can only think of one time where I was convinced I knew more about what I was presenting on than the people I was presenting it to!

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭loup

I find it horrendous, I'm in bits beforehand, extreme anxiety, think I'm going to pass out and when I start talking I find I run out of air and go blank. How do you build up confidence?

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭collie0708

I have started a new role in work that involves a fair amount of presenting to senior management, is their any courses you would reccomend that would help me improve my confidence for this part of the role.

• Company Representative Posts: 22 Verified rep I'm a Public Speaking Coach, AMA

Mars Bar wrote: »
    Any tips for when you get to the moment where your voice is quivering and you are convinced everyone has noticed? That's what gets me!

I'm fine when I'm 100% confident in what I'm talking about. Out of all the presentations I have given at college or on coaching courses I can only think of one time where I was convinced I knew more about what I was presenting on than the people I was presenting it to!

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for your first posts.

Okay, so first of all, let me try to explain why the voice quivers (Outside of the usual reason of just nerves).

It's because your entire body is in a 'fight or flight' mode.
    Everything about standing in front of an audience with only their eyes and ears listening to you feels unnatural. You have probably already told yourself that you are going to look or sound nervous, so automatically, that's what happens. Self-fulfilling prophecy and all that!

So, when you are publically speaking, your body and muscles tense up causing your heart rate to increase drastically, which means your breathing has quickened and your vocal cords are not relaxed.
    When you are in that mode, you have a couple of options.
    First – just stop for a second, breathe, gather yourself, take a drink of water (ALWAYS have one near you) and focus on what word/part of your presentation or speech you are on.

What will help is having a bullet pointed outline with just key words in front of you (if you are not using PowerPoint) – highlighted with a marker so that if you find you are quickening up, losing control of your voice, you can pause, glance down, take a drink and being again.

Second – remember that you are speaking to humans. I have seen the ‘best’ nervous people just stop, make a remark such as “Excuse me, I’m actually a little nervous, if you haven’t already guessed it”, with a small smile, just to break the ice with the audience. When they see that the audience (or at least a couple of people in front of them), either smile back or nod back, it breaks the barriers down and it immediately relaxes them.

One of the big things with speaking in public, whether to 5 or 500 people is to remember that – they are people. They want to resonate with you, they understand that nerves can take over (which means voice quivering/hands shaking and fidgeting/forgetting your place) and 99% of the time if you acknowledge it before you even speak, the audience ‘forgives’ you and for you, you automatically feel a weight lifted.

I have some more on this – but rather than give a full novel in the first post, I’ll leave that there and add more in other posts.

• Company Representative Posts: 22 Verified rep I'm a Public Speaking Coach, AMA

loup wrote: »
    I find it horrendous, I'm in bits beforehand, extreme anxiety, think I'm going to pass out and when I start talking I find I run out of air and go blank. How do you build up confidence?

Well, as you’re aware, you’re not alone! Most people who rarely do it and then have to for either work or a special occasion have the exact same feelings around it.
    First – I work with clients on the two key areas.
    1.) Content – (For going blank, as you describe above)
    I make sure that the content, structure and layout has been designed so that all of the words flow/tie together so that if you lose your place, you can easily pick it up.
    This means that:
    -You have to have a good starting point that is comfortable to deliver and breaks the ice for you
    -The main body of your content is broken down into 3 main sections
    -The conclusion is strong so that you have a very defined end point.

Introduction – This means having a solid strong start such as a hard hitting fact, quote, question, statement, statistic, or even a joke so that you can immediately find your comfort zone and break down barriers with audience.

Main Body – Separating any talk, speech or presentation into 3 main parts helps so that your brain is trained to be on one particular section instead of a lengthy list of ‘what you need to get through’. It’s a simple technique that just allows you to follow an easy laid out plan, point for point that lets you know where you are at (should you blank and need to jump back in to where you were)

For Example – in a Best Man’s or Woman’s Speech, I recommend breaking it into ART

Acknowledgements – This is where you welcome and thank everyone (from the guests, venue coordinators, her auntie for making the cake etc.), so that no one is forgotten on the day.

Roast – A few light-hearted stories about the groom to show how well you know them, how their traits are still the same today as back then, their bride to be etc.

Toast – A well-meaning toast (sentimental or humorous, depending on what type of person you are) to give a ‘hearty’ send off to the groom with some words of advice or (warning) to the bride.

Conclusion – The last thing you say is the first thing they remember. Having a defined end point for wrapping things up is great – again for the brain to have a goal, with a strong finish, so that you can feel you have direction with your content.

2.) Delivery – (Again, as you mention above, finding your confidence)

I work with individuals in finding their own unique style of delivery so they know what works best for them and don’t try to mimic other people’s styles that won’t feel natural.

Most people don’t have any idea of their individual style.
    Some great speakers are soft toned in their voice, do not raise their volume too loudly, but grab in people’s attention by their facial expressions or body gestures.
    Others are more animated with a booming voice or great emphasis placed on key words.

**The single most important thing to build confidence is recognising what works best for you and building on that.

Again, another example –
    Bill Clinton is one of the highest paid public speakers in the world. His tone is soft, his gestures are composed and relaxed, he doesn’t feel the need to over emphasise points with a booming voice or use big gestures, yet he gets his point across and has his audience listening attentively.
    Tony Robbins is a motivational speaker who speaks in the exact opposite manner. He uses the entire stage in front of him with animated expressions, power and strength of voice and high energy. Again, he has a huge following who adore his style and technique.

Both speakers are successful in their delivery, but each employ a different tactic.
    Lesson – there is no ‘right or wrong’ way.

The most confident speakers are ones that look as though they are most comfortable – no matter what their style is.

Unfortunately, I generally find people just throw themselves into it as if they are acting or trying too hard to put on a ‘confident’ performance.

Once they find out HOW they can use their natural style of movement, vocal tones, hand and arm gestures etc. that fit their personality, they naturally start to gravitate towards a comfort zone that they use every single time they have to deliver a talk.

• Advertisement

collie0708 wrote: »
    I have started a new role in work that involves a fair amount of presenting to senior management, is their any courses you would reccomend that would help me improve my confidence for this part of the role.

The most important thing about deciding the right course for you is finding one that will give you a lot of practice in different areas of public speaking.

You may have to deliver one particular type of business presentation for work, (depending on your industry), but the best courses for getting confidence in presenting them will let you deliver different types of presentations.

For example –
    Informative Presenting (Facts and Figures) is different to Persuasive Presenting (Sales and Marketing), but being able to master both of them is important as you want to feel confident in delivering both presentations at different stages of your career.

The same goes for Impromptu/Speaking off the cuff training (which helps when you have to answer questions on the spot by managers during a presentation) and Demonstration Presentations (which helps when you might have to train a new person in).

Realistically, the best course will give you all of the above areas to practice and get comfortable with.

I’m unable to recommend one course over another one as I run these type of courses through my organisation and can’t promote mine on here, for obvious reasons :)

Just make sure that you find one that gives you a wide range of presenting and practice – and a coach that can help you identify what works best for you to keep developing your skills!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

I enjoy public speaking.......am I weird?

On a more serious note.....what would be your 3 top tips, and what is something you think experienced public speakers should know but don't?

.....and what do you think is an "ideal" number of PP slides? Personally, I think less is more when it comes to PP, but others may differ.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

What do you think of Toastmasters?

Do you think the focus should be about the delivery or the subject being spoken about?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

How do you deal with hecklers in very small situations. eg addressing a panel of four, where one starts trying to pull your pitch apart. Not necessarily talking about them pointing out a valid flaw but when they ask a question and you address it but they keep prying for more or just pick something else. Essentially just asking how to get control back of the situation where you can steer the conversation to safety.

Any tips for ruining somebody else's presentation? (Could serve as a guide for what not to do.. or a guide of how to make sure you get a raise before a coworker :))

How do you make sure you don't come across as cocky even if you are very well prepared, are pitching something which is actually very good, have answers to all the questions, yet are coming up against a group of people who aren't yet converted.

Jawgap wrote: »
    I enjoy public speaking.......am I weird?

On a more serious note.....what would be your 3 top tips, and what is something you think experienced public speakers should know but don't?

.....and what do you think is an "ideal" number of PP slides? Personally, I think less is more when it comes to PP, but others may differ.

Ha! No, not weird at all. Depends though on your audience – whether they think you’re just speaking because you like the sound of your own voice or you actually have something worthwhile to say J

Top 3 Tips (syncs in with your other question about experienced public speakers)

1.) As I said in an earlier post – Know your own style! Don’t mimic others! Find what feels comfortable. Use your hands if that’s how you normally speak to describe things. Use your space in front of you with your feet if you feel you need to take a few steps to help the brain flow.

If you DON'T do these things (ie. Don’t use your hands/keep them at your side when you deliver a speech, but you normally use them in everyday conversation); you will end up fidgeting with your fingers, click a pen or do something else distracting that will increase your nerves and irritate your audience.

2.) Get your content right and in order. Unless you are an absolute master of off-the-cuff speaking or a brilliant standup comedian, put some structure together that lets your content and words flow smoothly in a direction.
    Don’t wing it, thinking ‘Oh, I’ll remember to say that’ Chances are – you won’t! Even the best entertainers/comedians have their material prepared.
    One of my favourite quotes is from Mark Twain
    “There are always three speeches.
    The one you practiced, the one you gave and the one you wish you gave” Sums up a lot of people after they deliver a talk.

3.) Practice, yes – but don’t over practice it where you come across as though you’ve memorised it word for word. Not only will it sound boring and not very interesting to your audience, if you lose your place, you will panic and mentally try to remember exactly where on your page you were and it will take you longer to get back on track.
    Keep a list of bulleted key words only near you and then if you forget your place, jump down to that one word that will jog your memory to bring you back.

Remember, 2 seconds of silence in a speech can feel like 2 hours for you when your brain is scrambling to think of the next thing to say – then heart rate increases, voice shakes, hands clench etc.

The best public speakers only have to remember one word or phrase that will help them talk around their subject, rather than rattle off a scripted piece, line for line.

PP Slides – Depends on how long your presentation is. I like to work with clients who have about 6-8 comfortably for a 15 minute talk.
    Images are very powerful and unfortunately, speakers don’t put enough in (I do understand that sometimes you can’t due to company policy and they need you to put more wording/text in for presenting to managers etc.)

The best PP slides are created by the likes of Prezi or similar. They are illustrated quite well and tend to ‘tell the story’ of the presentation, even if the content does not seem as though it would make for an interesting PowerPoint.

• Advertisement

What do you think of Toastmasters?

Do you think the focus should be about the delivery or the subject being spoken about?

Toastmasters can be good IF you get in to the right chapter. Some are stuffy and full of older retired men who just want to hear the sound of their voice each week (if you want to get much practice in, you won’t).
    Other chapters are great, full of individuals who encourage newer, more nervous people to stand up and join in. It really is dependent.

Subject vs Delivery -
    While I think the subject and content is important, the delivery is a little more so. If you think back on certain speakers you have listened to before (in a classroom, presentation, or at a wedding etc.), what do you remember about their subject? Only a little, right?

The human brain absorbs about 10% MAXIMUM of what we hear in a typical talk, speech or presentation setting.
    (That’s why the order in which you put things is important as well as how you weave them throughout any presentation).

The rest is made up of HOW it is delivered.
    You will remember the speaker more than anything – how comfortable were they? Did they seem at ease/interested in what they were talking about? Were they humorous? Were they passionate? Were they merely calm, collect and controlled?

If they are all of the above things, then it won’t matter what the subject is (obviously once it’s relevant to the audience), the audience will automatically relax, listen intently and remember the full 10% of what was said.

If the speaker is fidgeting, rocking back and forth, shuffling a piece of paper in front of them - then that's what the audience will remember and the content may have been the most interesting material ever, but unfortunately, it won't be remembered! Just the bumbling presenter.

Then, there's the very few that get it just right, every single time! Both subject and delivery.

One of my favourite speakers ever is Sir Ken Robinson – He gave a TED Talk back in 2006 on 'How Schools Kill Creativity'.
    It could have been just another academic piece on how the structure of schooling leaves a lot to be desired, BUT he designed his talk in such an interesting manner that both the content and his delivery was incredibly well received. He held everyone's attention for the full 20 minutes (not an easy feat for many people)

If you have a spare 20 minutes - or even the slightest bit of interest as much as I do to listen to speakers :p .... his link is below.
    https://www.ted.com/talks/ken_robinson_says_schools_kill_creativity

How do you deal with hecklers in very small situations. eg addressing a panel of four, where one starts trying to pull your pitch apart. Not necessarily talking about them pointing out a valid flaw but when they ask a question and you address it but they keep prying for more or just pick something else. Essentially just asking how to get control back of the situation where you can steer the conversation to safety.

Any tips for ruining somebody else's presentation? (Could serve as a guide for what not to do.. or a guide of how to make sure you get a raise before a coworker :))

Ah now, you probably know I’m not going to recommend how to ruin somebody else’s presentation – that would just be downright mean.:rolleyes:

With regards to hecklers, I think you have to understand why they are heckling in the first place.

Hecklers that keep going long after is necessary are either ‘wannabe important' people or just bullies.

They need to constantly be heard to sound more intelligent and important than everyone else in the room.
    They are attention-seeking in order to be noticed amongst their peers or superiors.

I am always amazed that this type of heckler still exists among senior management/board members. Even at that level, they still need to outshine everyone else with inane, probing questions to just show off.

As you said, I’m not talking about those that pick out something of interest that they genuinely want more information on – I’m talking about those that keep at you, over and over.
    I genuinely pity them every time I spot them in an audience.
    (Bear this in mind the next time it happens to you - it's not, it's them! )

Now, how do you deal with them?

Well, like most situations it’s dependent. You’re hardly going to reply back like Jimmy Carr if you’re in a business meeting presenting to managers or supervisors.

Let the others in the group help you out:

Let's say a manager is hell bent on asking more and more questions. Generally, the others in that small group are on tight time schedules and won’t want to stay any longer on your presentation than you do; however they do need to probe and ask further questions, with quick answers.

When you get one who is constantly at you, you have to take the lead with the group, RATHER than with them.

When asked another question by that particular heckler, you turn your head to the rest of the group and mention words like ‘As I said previously..’ to draw their attention to the fact that you are going over the same ground.

It is important that you steer away from the heckler and focus your eyes on the rest of the group only - do not interact with the heckler if at all possible, they just want to keep you there, on the spot.

One of the group usually gets it and they will vocalise on your behalf to move things along.

Remember, you have to be very comfortable in doing this and NOT address the heckler directly. (The attention is off them then).

Time

You can also allude to time if it’s in the middle of the presentation. When answering a question,
    ‘So, let me briefly explain this point to you, as I know I want to have enough time to get through everything else here in this presentation’.
    Again, the rest of the group are generally thankful that you are NOT time wasting, trying to be concise and make your point clearly without stretching it out.

If you call out the time issue, the heckler usually doesn't want to be the 'baddie' taking up everyone's time.

It is all in how you handle the rest of the group sometimes rather than the person in question.
    Get them on your side and they will help steer the other person on from you.

By the way, sorry guys that the font is coming up so large - I put all of these answers on a word doc so that I could work offline on them and when I copy/paste it obviously comes up larger.

How do you make sure you don't come across as cocky even if you are very well prepared, are pitching something which is actually very good, have answers to all the questions, yet are coming up against a group of people who aren't yet converted.

Yes, agreed that it’s hard to find the balance, but many do.

Presenters that have an air of ‘quiet confidence’ about them, without appearing too sure of themselves, are usually the ones that get buy-in from their audience.

These are the ones who are able to address a group (if, as you say, they are pitching a new product or idea to) with a starting point such as ‘While we don’t claim to know everything about this, we are quietly confident that you will see the benefits of xyz..’

Or something to that effect, in a very calm, relaxed manner – instead of hyped up with overly dramatic gestures and statements.

You will usually notice on something like Dragon’s Den that the pitches that get funded are by ‘likeable’ entrepreneurs who know their figures and product inside and out, but don’t claim outrageous things such as ‘This is going to be the absolute best….’ Or don’t over use jargon/buzz words such as ‘Innovative, exciting, disruptive’

(That last word, disruptive, is the latest one to describe the startup scene and I cannot stand it – everything you hear these days at tech events is ‘This is so disruptive’ or We’re going to disrupt the AI industry with this innovative blah, blah, blah’)

The point is that overly-used phrases just tune audiences out and this can make a speaker appear egotistical and arrogant.

Assuming that the product is actually very good, as you say, then the audience is there to see how likeable you are in presenting it. There’s still some nuggets of truth to the ‘People buy people first’ saying.

The best way to do that is to use your words honestly, be genuine and clear on what you know and what you don’t know.

If you are trying to convert a group of people who are not buying in to the idea/product, put yourself in their shoes. Do they hear these types of pitches constantly?

If so, starting with the words such as:
    ‘Look, I know that you hear these type of presentations on a regular basis and that you are inundated with these kind of pitches, but I’ll do my best to keep you interested and not bore you to death’ (with a small smile, in a light hearted manner).

Or a quick witted quote/saying about what you are going to present in order to break the ice.

This means that you show them that you understand their position/you can relate to them and with that, you are establishing a good rapport with them because you are not insulting them or trying to force them to love what you put in front of them.
    It’s about connecting with them on that human level where you are both on the same platform. Remember though, YOU have to be the one to put both sides on the same level. Again, you have to find your comfort zone quickly in doing this by starting off your presentation or pitch with something relatable for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭loup

Thanks very informative, any advice on what to do if you feel you just want to run out?! What's the quickest way to calm yourself and refocus?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭nibtrix

Any advice on presenting over the phone or video conferencing where you can't see the other attendees? More and more meetings are going "digital", and I find it difficult to present when there is no feedback from people in the room. It's hard to even know if people are listening, or whether they are working away on something else while on mute!

loup wrote: »
    Thanks very informative, any advice on what to do if you feel you just want to run out?! What's the quickest way to calm yourself and refocus?

Quickest way to calm down and not run out in front of a group is to actually stop.
    Sometimes if you keep going, you end up speaking gibberish and nothing of any sense comes out of your mouth.

At that point, you just speed up to race towards the end, whilst staring blankly ahead and feeling as if you are in the middle of a breakdown. It is not healthy for anyone to feel like this and you shouldn’t just keep going just for the sake of it!!

Above anything else, you will remember that horrible feeling and the next time you are asked to present, it will conjure up all of those negative feelings again and you will just rinse and repeat.

So, the very best thing to do is just stop. Take a mighty deep breath.
    Look at the audience, tell them something such as ‘Sorry, excuse me, I’m a little lost/forgotten what comes next/nervous/want to catch my breath… whatever feels comfortable to say to them’, then take a drink of water.

As I said in the first post, ALWAYS have water nearby.

ALWAYS tell your audience that you are feeling a little nervous – they are on your side. It actually makes you feel good to say the words, it lifts you of that pressure you’re feeling to keep going and helps get the breathing down.

You need to do this for yourself – then when you have taken about 3-5 seconds (yes, that’s all you need, even though it will feel longer), you can compose yourself and start again.

For the long term preparation:

A little trick when preparing slides/notes for a presentation or speech is to put a little coloured dot at the end of a slide or word on the paper. It’s a reminder for you to slow down and breath.

No one else knows it’s there, but you. It should act as a marker for you to pause (which is hugely effective in its own right for excellent public speaking) and take a second before moving on to the next piece.

This will get your vocal flow, rhythm and pace under control and let your voice settle so that you concentrate on the words and not ‘how horrible it is to be speaking in public’.

Train your brain to slow your voice and gestures down and then it won’t feel like an out of body experience that you just want to run away from.

The best way for this is to practice the words of your presentation/speech out loud in a VERY SLOW manner - so slow that your heart rate is normal and hasn't sped up at all.
    Enunciate and pronunicate each and every single syllable and word in the slowest of voices.
    Keep doing this until you visualise your audience in front of you and you can feel just how comfortable you are when delivering your piece.

nibtrix wrote: »
    Any advice on presenting over the phone or video conferencing where you can't see the other attendees? More and more meetings are going "digital", and I find it difficult to present when there is no feedback from people in the room. It's hard to even know if people are listening, or whether they are working away on something else while on mute!

I agree with you – this can be a tricky one as there is no visual and you can feel as though you are speaking in to a black hole and not sure if you’re being heard.

Other than outright asking the other participants if they can hear you/are listening, it’s hard to approach this without sounding like a school teacher checking on their students for signs of life.

For me, I would break up the points you want to make into sections. I am assuming that you have a time slot or similar to put your points across.

Before speaking, I would let everyone know:
    - How many points you are going to be putting to them

- That after each important or relevant point (I know they all are, but this is a great way for them to think that everything is), you are going to see if they have any questions about what you just put forward.

You can do this without sounding ‘preachy’, such as ‘So, everyone, I want to make sure that I cover all points that are relevant to you (relevant is a great word to get interest) and so, when I break it into each part, I am going to ask for either feedback or a question on it so that I know that everyone’s happy that I can move on to the next part.’ Or similar, you get the drift.

You don’t want to sound as though you’re checking in on them for comprehension, but you want to put it to them that it’s for their benefit that you make sure you’re not leaving anyone behind. Always present it as a plus or positive for them.

Again, as I have been saying throughout the thread, the control and onus is on you taking the bull by the horns and letting people know what’s going to happen when you present your information.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Why do you think it is that so many people struggle with public speaking?

Do you think it's a fear of rejection by their peers or a lack of confidence in their ability to appear knowledgeable on the subject matter?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭lycan238

I recently joined toastmasters (well last September) and so far I have given 3 speeches. I know this was referred to in one of the earlier posts but I am a member of a very good club who are very helpful. I wish to ask your opinion on the following parts of a speech, preparation for a speech and good and bad habits to have when giving a speech.

1. Start of with a strong statement or a question
    2. Rule of 3: Tell listeners what you are going to tell them, tell them, remind them what you have told them.
    3. If making points in a speech try to use combinations of 3's wherever possible (optimum number of items for maximum retention of information by listeners)
    4. Make sure speeches are light hearted and not always serious where possible.
    5. At the end of a speech after you conclude try not to keep speaking make that the ending.

My question to you is however. How is the best way to go about giving a speech where you have notes in front of you with a lot of quotes and references in it where you have to read them out to ensure maximum accuracy. I have to give a ten minute speech next month with 6 such instances in it. I am used to giving speeches without notes.

I do concur with the opinion that have water near by and certainly do take breaks when speaking especially for a longer period.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,232 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

i hate making small talk...
    All my life ive struggled making chat with people i dont really know. Its those uncomfortable silences, i feel it , im aware of them, but i CANT fill them.....
    But if im in a group of 2 or 3 others , i can usually contribute a bit to a conversation.
    But one on one , Im lost.
    Any hints?

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

Why do you think it is that so many people struggle with public speaking?

Do you think it's a fear of rejection by their peers or a lack of confidence in their ability to appear knowledgeable on the subject matter?

There are a number of different reasons why people struggle so much with public speaking. I’m going to take Ireland as an example here, because it’s important to note the differences between this type of culture and others with public speaking (such as the U.S. where it doesn’t appear to be as big of an issue).
    Let me give you some background on me and that might explain my reasoning for Irish/European’s struggles in this area.
    I grew up in the U.S. from the age of 10 (originally from Dublin). We had speech delivery class 3 times a week, the same as if you were going to History, Maths, Geography etc. It was part of the norm with the curriculum, so from a young age, everyone had to do it.
    When you go through years of doing it in front of your peers, particularly in your teens, you become accustomed to standing up and delivering a variety of different speeches and talks in personal, professional, academic situations.
    I also have to say that we had an excellent speech coach at our school who arranged a number of different initiatives and programs around public speaking.
    In Ireland and a lot of European countries, it is not part of the education system, not even in 3rd level or college, where presentations are now fact becoming integrated with end of term exams and marked accordingly. (But without proper coaching or training given in the build up to them, surprisingly).
    So, because individuals don’t have the practice in before reaching the ‘working world’, it feels unnatural and scary to do it at an older age.
    I beat my head against the wall for nearly 3 years trying to get public speaking part of the education system and curriculum here in Ireland – I ended up giving up, unfortunately as I was getting nowhere. I firmly believe that if it was consistently done with people from a young age, that there would be no fear of it.

Culturally, I also think that it is in us to not ‘be outspoken or a show off’, yet confident public speaking is neither of those things.
    Our frame of mind around having competence in communicating outside of social settings needs to change also. I do believe this should come from our education system (which thankfully is beginning to change), but needs more consistent teaching in this area.
    I think all students should have the ability to deliver presentations persuasively, informatively, demonstratively, personally and so on in order to compete with others who have no fear of it.

I also think that we talk a lot about the ‘fear’ of public speaking to the point that if anyone actually says that they don’t mind it, they are looked at as if they are abnormal (or weird as Jawgap put it yesterday). :(
    We have basically told ourselves that it is such a horrible experience and we have made such a big deal about it, that we now only associate it with negative, rather than something we just all should be able to do comfortably.

lycan238 wrote: »
    I recently joined toastmasters (well last September) and so far I have given 3 speeches. I know this was referred to in one of the earlier posts but I am a member of a very good club who are very helpful. I wish to ask your opinion on the following parts of a speech, preparation for a speech and good and bad habits to have when giving a speech.

1. Start of with a strong statement or a question
    2. Rule of 3: Tell listeners what you are going to tell them, tell them, remind them what you have told them.
    3. If making points in a speech try to use combinations of 3's wherever possible (optimum number of items for maximum retention of information by listeners)
    4. Make sure speeches are light hearted and not always serious where possible.
    5. At the end of a speech after you conclude try not to keep speaking make that the ending.

Delighted to hear that you are in a very interactive Toastmasters.
    With that said, 3 speeches from September, in my opinion, Is not a huge amount, perhaps though that is the way the chapter works. I generally have the smaller groups I work with presenting every single week to get them in the flow of it (even up to 5 minutes after 3 weeks of a course).

With regard to your 5 points – I agree with all of them and would also add to

1.) Strong statement or question in the beginning – I also encourage people to tell an anecdote or story or even paint a picture or a scenario of what they are going to talk about. There are two reasons for this:
    A) If a speaker is nervous and tells a story or anecdote to illustrate their point, it can feel less formal and breaks the ice where they feel as though they are speaking WITH their audience instead of AT them (like being in a more relaxed environment and getting a reaction)
    B) Audiences LOVE to be told stories or hear the words ‘For Example’ as it means they can create an image or picture of what they are being told and can absorb it better.
    If any of you had a chance to watch Ken Robinson’s talk (even the first 3-4 minutes), he does this beautifully throughout and it works!

2.) Rule of 3 – 100% agree and you’ll find most coaches in this area would be the same. It helps both audience and speaker break it down.
    Imagine you are part of an audience and the speaker says something such as, “So, I really only want to go through 3 main points with you.” Immediately, it tells the audience that the speaker has nicely broken down their presentation in bite size format for them to absorb (and won’t stretch it out unnecessarily) and also that the speaker is confident in their direction and has a grasp on what they are saying. This builds confidence in the speaker from the very start with the audience.
    For the speaker, they get to mentally break down a lengthy list of what they have to get through.
    Making it easier to stay within one part and just focus on that before moving on to the next one. It’s a psychological thing of breaking it into manageable parts for the brain to process.

3.) Points of 3 – as above
    4.) Agreed that you can weave in lighthearted pieces to certain speeches (not so much on a Monday morning presentation on the company financial situation to a board of senior managers).
    Again, I go back to Ken Robinson’s talk on schools and how he could have made it more serious with statistics on the worst outcomes for schools not embracing creativity within certain children.
    Instead, his examples and weaving of stories throughout had the same impact and his objective was achieved in getting his audience to rethink the current education system.

5.) Conclusion – I always encourage speakers to use their conclusion with statements such as,
    ‘So, I just want to wrap up now and leave you with one final piece of information…..’
    ‘If you only take two things away with you, let it be these…’
    ‘Let me finish now on this point…..’
    Then leave it there! If the speaker continues on (most times it’s just waffle), they only end up irritating the audience who thought they were finishing up.

My question to you is however. How is the best way to go about giving a speech where you have notes in front of you with a lot of quotes and references in it where you have to read them out to ensure maximum accuracy. I have to give a ten minute speech next month with 6 such instances in it. I am used to giving speeches without notes.

I’m not sure I fully understand your question – are you asking me how to deliver a speech with notes, as opposed to without?
    What are the 6 such instances in your 10 minute speech that you have?

Delighted to hear that you are in a very interactive Toastmasters.
    With that said, 3 speeches from September, in my opinion, Is not a huge amount, perhaps though that is the way the chapter works. I generally have the smaller groups I work with presenting every single week to get them in the flow of it (even up to 5 minutes after 3 weeks of a course).

With regard to your 5 points – I agree with all of them and would also add to

1.) Strong statement or question in the beginning – I also encourage people to tell an anecdote or story or even paint a picture or a scenario of what they are going to talk about. There are two reasons for this:
    A) If a speaker is nervous and tells a story or anecdote to illustrate their point, it can feel less formal and breaks the ice where they feel as though they are speaking WITH their audience instead of AT them (like being in a more relaxed environment and getting a reaction)
    B) Audiences LOVE to be told stories or hear the words ‘For Example’ as it means they can create an image or picture of what they are being told and can absorb it better.
    If any of you had a chance to watch Ken Robinson’s talk (even the first 3-4 minutes), he does this beautifully throughout and it works!

2.) Rule of 3 – 100% agree and you’ll find most coaches in this area would be the same. It helps both audience and speaker break it down.
    Imagine you are part of an audience and the speaker says something such as, “So, I really only want to go through 3 main points with you.” Immediately, it tells the audience that the speaker has nicely broken down their presentation in bite size format for them to absorb (and won’t stretch it out unnecessarily) and also that the speaker is confident in their direction and has a grasp on what they are saying. This builds confidence in the speaker from the very start with the audience.
    For the speaker, they get to mentally break down a lengthy list of what they have to get through.
    Making it easier to stay within one part and just focus on that before moving on to the next one. It’s a psychological thing of breaking it into manageable parts for the brain to process.

3.) Points of 3 – as above
    4.) Agreed that you can weave in lighthearted pieces to certain speeches (not so much on a Monday morning presentation on the company financial situation to a board of senior managers).
    Again, I go back to Ken Robinson’s talk on schools and how he could have made it more serious with statistics on the worst outcomes for schools not embracing creativity within certain children.
    Instead, his examples and weaving of stories throughout had the same impact and his objective was achieved in getting his audience to rethink the current education system.

5.) Conclusion – I always encourage speakers to use their conclusion with statements such as,
    ‘So, I just want to wrap up now and leave you with one final piece of information…..’
    ‘If you only take two things away with you, let it be these…’
    ‘Let me finish now on this point…..’
    Then leave it there! If the speaker continues on (most times it’s just waffle), they only end up irritating the audience who thought they were finishing up.

Many thanks for your response. I shall now respond from the top for some clarification

Yes I agree 3 speeches since September is not a huge amount. We meet twice a month (once in December) and I have missed 2 meetings. I have also spent time on developing leadership skills through taking on meeting roles such as Failte Officer, Topicsmaster and indeed Toastmaster. I have planned to give my 4th speech on June 14th. I have also visited 2 other clubs and plan to visit these again later this year and an additional 2 more and perhaps give speeches and some or all of these in addition to my own club.

I have used the time to observe my colleagues and the speeches with the most impact start off with a strong statement or a question. The rule of 3 and point of 3 are a fantastic addition to any speech and make speeches easier to listen to.

With regard to my upcoming speech (not June 14th a different one on June 22nd) how would you advise I go about giving a speech with a lot of qoutes and definitions (6 in ten minutes)?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,321 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

On a scale of 1-10. How do you rate our public representatives for their oratory abilities? :rolleyes:

greenspurs wrote: »
    i hate making small talk...
    All my life ive struggled making chat with people i dont really know. Its those uncomfortable silences, i feel it , im aware of them, but i CANT fill them.....
    But if im in a group of 2 or 3 others , i can usually contribute a bit to a conversation.
    But one on one , Im lost.
    Any hints?

I’m really glad you asked this question – it’s one that doesn’t come up that often (in fact, rarely, as clients will tell me that they are usually fine one on one, but it’s when the numbers get bigger that they panic or struggle).

Whenever I have dealt with individuals who describe the same situation as you just have, it usually goes back to somewhere in childhood either with school or a social setting where they were forced to engage/interact with an adult in conversation, but they felt intimidated by them.

There may have been someone who made them feel as though they couldn’t make eye contact with them, relax in their company or talk to them without feeling pressure inside that has stuck with them.

(Please know that I’m not diagnosing here, trying to put you in a category or even suggesting that it is some deep seated psychological issue).

I am just explaining what I have witnessed as a coach in this area and perhaps looking at a possibility of why you find it so hard to speak about light topics one on one.

I am sure that you probably feel relaxed when the pressure is off you, because if there are 2-3 other individuals to chip in to conversation then the person’s focus is not entirely on you (and you can blend in without all of the attention on you).

Now, how do you deal with it.

Here's how I start to work with clients in this area:
    I usually have them sit in front of a mirror, speaking to themselves making eye contact to start off with.

I place a plain black cloth in the background so that there is no distraction. I ask the client to speak to their mirrored reflection for one solid minute without breaking contact with their own eye contact.

I then ask them to turn and speak directly to me without breaking eye contact. (This is a little bit more difficult, but sometimes ends up where the client is laughing – like a nervous laughter as it can feel silly and unnatural).
    Over the course of a session, I start to take away the plain black cloth and open windows/turn on the TV projector (for added visual and audio distraction) and ask the client to keep making eye contact with me while I ask random questions.

The point of the exercise is to get them focused solely on one on one contact with impromptu conversation and also to tune out distractions.
    I would recommend that you practice in front of a mirror (in the ways I mentioned above), while visualising others in front of you and in conversation. Let that be your starting point.
    Once you start to break down your own barriers with staring into your own eyes and speaking to yourself (sorry, I realise that sounds a little odd), then you can work on your pauses and silences.

After that, I strongly recommend group practice sessions to help you get up and practice how to speak off-the-cuff. When you are in an environment like that and are asked random topics to speak about, the more times you do it, the more you will find that your brain slows down before you begin speaking and you thoroughly think through what you are going to say.

That's when you will get comfortable with silences and 'gaps' as you put it.
    There is absolutely no need to fill every second with words.

I actually love it when I come across an individual who has the confidence to hold their silence, keep eye contact and not fill the gaps too quickly, just for the sake of not talking. This shows a quiet confidence in themselves.
    When you master that, you actually can hold more attention than those who speak constantly just to keep noise happening!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,232 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

I’m really glad you asked this question – it’s one that doesn’t come up that often (in fact, rarely, as clients will tell me that they are usually fine one on one, but it’s when the numbers get bigger that they panic or struggle).

Whenever I have dealt with individuals who describe the same situation as you just have, it usually goes back to somewhere in childhood either with school or a social setting where they were forced to engage/interact with an adult in conversation, but they felt intimidated by them.

There may have been someone who made them feel as though they couldn’t make eye contact with them, relax in their company or talk to them without feeling pressure inside that has stuck with them.

(Please know that I’m not diagnosing here, trying to put you in a category or even suggesting that it is some deep seated psychological issue).

I am just explaining what I have witnessed as a coach in this area and perhaps looking at a possibility of why you find it so hard to speak about light topics one on one.

I am sure that you probably feel relaxed when the pressure is off you, because if there are 2-3 other individuals to chip in to conversation then the person’s focus is not entirely on you (and you can blend in without all of the attention on you).

Now, how do you deal with it.

Here's how I start to work with clients in this area:
    I usually have them sit in front of a mirror, speaking to themselves making eye contact to start off with.

I place a plain black cloth in the background so that there is no distraction. I ask the client to speak to their mirrored reflection for one solid minute without breaking contact with their own eye contact.

I then ask them to turn and speak directly to me without breaking eye contact. (This is a little bit more difficult, but sometimes ends up where the client is laughing – like a nervous laughter as it can feel silly and unnatural).
    Over the course of a session, I start to take away the plain black cloth and open windows/turn on the TV projector (for added visual and audio distraction) and ask the client to keep making eye contact with me while I ask random questions.

The point of the exercise is to get them focused solely on one on one contact with impromptu conversation and also to tune out distractions.
    I would recommend that you practice in front of a mirror (in the ways I mentioned above), while visualising others in front of you and in conversation. Let that be your starting point.
    Once you start to break down your own barriers with staring into your own eyes and speaking to yourself (sorry, I realise that sounds a little odd), then you can work on your pauses and silences.

After that, I strongly recommend group practice sessions to help you get up and practice how to speak off-the-cuff. When you are in an environment like that and are asked random topics to speak about, the more times you do it, the more you will find that your brain slows down before you begin speaking and you thoroughly think through what you are going to say.

That's when you will get comfortable with silences and 'gaps' as you put it.
    There is absolutely no need to fill every second with words.

I actually love it when I come across an individual who has the confidence to hold their silence, keep eye contact and not fill the gaps too quickly, just for the sake of not talking. This shows a quiet confidence in themselves.
    When you master that, you actually can hold more attention than those who speak constantly just to keep noise happening!

Jeez , you nearly described me totally there !!!
    I do find it hard to make eye contact!! with nearly every/anyone i talk to....
    When they are talking to me, i would notice myself looking any where but their eyes..... I hate it but, i cant not do it ! .....
    Great tips, thank you !

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

Many thanks for your response. I shall now respond from the top for some clarification

Yes I agree 3 speeches since September is not a huge amount. We meet twice a month (once in December) and I have missed 2 meetings. I have also spent time on developing leadership skills through taking on meeting roles such as Failte Officer, Topicsmaster and indeed Toastmaster. I have planned to give my 4th speech on June 14th. I have also visited 2 other clubs and plan to visit these again later this year and an additional 2 more and perhaps give speeches and some or all of these in addition to my own club.

I have used the time to observe my colleagues and the speeches with the most impact start off with a strong statement or a question. The rule of 3 and point of 3 are a fantastic addition to any speech and make speeches easier to listen to.

With regard to my upcoming speech (not June 14th a different one on June 22nd) how would you advise I go about giving a speech with a lot of qoutes and definitions (6 in ten minutes)?

You’re very welcome.

For your upcoming speech using 6 written pieces that you have to read out – I would recommend the following (assuming that the rest of the speech is not written - just the 6 references are?)

1.) Write each of them out on a note card (in the order you are delivering them). I don’t recommend that you put them on an A4 paper, as it’s too long and bulky to read out if you don’t have any other notes.

2.) When writing each one out – highlight with a marker or underline the key words/adjectives/descriptive words that you want to make impact with. When you do this and are practicing out loud, you will find that the tone of your voice will slightly change as you emphasise them and you will slow down before you say them. You basically will have told your brain to slow your vocal cords down and articulate this section of your speech even more. This will resonate greatly with your audience.

3.) Before you speak your very first one, make reference to the fact that you are reading it out – but don’t be apologetic or feel that it’s a negative. Do it in a blithe manner such as: “Bear with me everyone, I actually have a very good quote here that I want to read out to you and I want to make sure that I do it justice by getting it absolutely right.”

By doing this, you let the audience know that you care enough to get your quote/reference right for them and you are taking the time to read it out correctly.

Make sure you know it quite well and change the pitch/tone of your voice slightly when you are reading it out (very slowly).

When you are finished with each note card, put it away from you where you can’t reach it again by accident (you would be surprised how easily speakers mix up their notes and go out of sync/order with them).

• Advertisement

Thanks for the response. The first occasion is a definition the keyword being participatory. One of the quotes I have will have been said earlier this year by someone in the audience on the day so accuracy is key. Yes I regularly change tone when speaking and use pauses and hand movements well during all of my speeches. Many thanks for your responses.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement