Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carers support grant

Options
  • 15-05-2017 11:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭

Hello,

I was caring for my wife, who has severe mental illness, for the past couple of years, receiving Carers Allowance. She was hospitalised in Feb this year, and they cut off my Carers after 13 weeks of her being hospitalised, as per their rules. She was released from hospital, and is still quite unwell, and is now homeless, refusing to engage with me or family or friends. Anyways, I just wanted to know would I be eligible for the respite grant this year? I know my carers allowance was cut off end of April, and they pay the grant first week of June, but would I receive anything given that I was a carer for the majority of the past year? I did receive the grant for the past 2 years.

Thanks.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭infogiver

I'm afraid not.
    If your not in receipt of CA at the moment and not currently caring for her then your not eligible.
    I do hope your wife and yourself find some peace soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Carmel66

Hi, I'm a full time carer for the last 7 months, during this time I worked for 5 weeks over 15 hrs would I still be entitled to the support Grant.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

I'd imagine you would get it. It seems to be that if you are in receipt of a carers payment on the date they pay the support grant you will get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭ann0

hi there ive just received a letter saying i am entitled to the respite grant for 2016/17.i applied for it on my daughters disability allowance it took 7 weeks.i also have an application in for carers allowance which i originally received until my daughter was 16 in 2014.i reapplied but got refused it went through 2 appeals and an ombudsman.i have a bit of hope now that i will get the carers allowance as i now have the respite.i never knew you could claim the respite grant under the disability allowance.i was rooting around the net 1 day and found out that you can claim it.i am now just waiting to hear from the carers section which could take months

Advertisement