Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trouble for Emirates- Profit Collapse

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 993 ✭✭✭737max

Open Up wrote: »
    His point is he doesn't want to spend that long on an airplane. Unless I'm mistaken...
    That is an awful expensive plane to be delaying for a couple of hours between source and destination and an awful lot of fuel burnt descending and ascending back to cruise height just because a passenger doesn't like to spend that long on a plane.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Open Up

737max wrote: »
    That is an awful expensive plane to be delaying for a couple of hours between source and destination and an awful lot of fuel burnt descending and ascending back to cruise height just because a passenger doesn't like to spend that long on a plane.

Haha I don't know if you're taking the piss now or not?! A connecting flight we're talking about here? If you fly Emirates DUB-SYD you connect in Dubai, and change planes?

Haha I don't know if you're taking the piss nor or not?! A connecting flight we're talking about here? If you fly Emirates DUB-SYD you connect in Dubai, and change planes?

Dubai is precisely convenient to nowhere. Do a great circle map calculation for anywhere developed in the world with large populations; all the routes swing up around the 'stans before hitting Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭Noxegon

The halfway point between Dublin and Singapore is not anywhere near Arabia

When you add up the flight times it's close enough. The shortest connection I can do is via Heathrow, which works out at:

DUB-LHR = ~1hr
    LHR-SIN = ~12.5hrs

Compared against:

DUB-DXB = ~7hrs
    DXB-SIN = ~7hrs

Reverse trips slightly longer in both cases.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

Dubai is precisely convenient to nowhere. Do a great circle map calculation for anywhere developed in the world with large populations; all the routes swing up around the 'stans before hitting Europe.

Ok... If Noxegen wants to fly to Singapore and does not want to spend 10 hours or whatever on a plane. What options does be have?

• Advertisement

Noxegon wrote: »
    When you add up the flight times it's close enough. The shortest connection I can do is via Heathrow, which works out at:

DUB-LHR = ~1hr
    LHR-SIN = ~12.5hrs

Compared against:

DUB-DXB = ~7hrs
    DXB-SIN = ~7hrs

Reverse trips slightly longer in both cases.

You value your time less than the airlines(excepting the ME3) value the opportunity cost of their aircraft. these are aircraft with list prices running in to 9 digits.

Ok... If Noxegen wants to fly to Singapore and does not want to spend 10 hours or whatever on a plane. What options does be have?
    The choice will be made soon enough by the Airlines in the way the airlines dictate how what he has for his inflight meal and how much carry-on luggage he can drag around.

The choice will be made soon enough by the Airlines in the way the airlines dictate how what he has for his inflight meal and how much carry-on luggage he can drag around.

This is going way off on a tangent. The point is someone can choose to fly to whatever destination they want, how they want. I can fly to Singapore via Alaska if I want with 20 stops on the way. Are you just looking at this from the airline's perspective or something? I really don't understand. As a passenger, if I don't like long flights, I don't have to take a long flight. I can, however, take several short flights that have the same result. Yes it takes longer overall. But sacrifices have to be made to satisfy my needs. That is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭pepe the prawn

Growler!!! wrote: »
    The Burj Dubai was renamed Burj Khalifa. The Burj Al Arab is further south along the coast.

There were 17 A380's parked up the last time I was there. They need to convert the remaining 380 orders into A350 orders for any hope to survive. It gets Airbus and EK out of trouble. Or get 787's as the Boeing guys already have the rating!

Is the 777/787 a common type rating?

Think he means the 787 already has the ETOPS rating.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

If we going to debate the EK business model of creating a worldwide connection hub from scratch then lets all try to do so politely, using facts rather than emotions. Remember that anothers personal choice is just that, it doesnt mean that it is wrong just because you dont prefer it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

Yes, or atleast that was the plan... a friend of the family left FR for the 777 with BA several years ago so he could fly the 787 once they received them. He told me it was a common rating hence the move to the 777.

However I follow several BA pilots on twitter and am yet to see anyone flying both. So being rated and actually doing it in practice are not quite the same. (i.e. EI don't cross fleet between the A320 and A330, but LX do ect)

Yes, or atleast that was the plan... a friend of the family left FR for the 777 with BA several years ago so he could fly the 787 once they received them. He told me it was a common rating hence the move to the 777.

However I follow several BA pilots on twitter and am yet to see anyone flying both. So being rated and actually doing it in practice are not quite the same. (i.e. EI don't cross fleet between the A320 and A330, but LX do ect)

That's interesting. Never knew that. Would appear there is still some conversion and familiarisation training involved though, which would make sense given the cockpits are quite different.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Growler!!!

Yes, same rating. Had a look around the BA 787 sim in Heathrow with the Boeing instructor. Very similar, I'm sure there would be a short conversion course though. But seeing as the 77F is a different beast altogether (mix of body and wings from two versions and handles completely differently) than the pax version and it's only an online CBT conversion here!

It would make sense for EK to be looking at the 787 or 350 for the lower load factor routes. Or maybe absorb Flydubai under the EK umbrella as has been rumoured (crewmoured!!).

I'm not bothered about the opportunity cost of a 777. I'm a customer, not an airline representative. As for valuing my time, I do wonder just how much use the three/four hours saved by going non stop are likely to be. I'm generally in jet lagged stupor by the time I get to Singapore regardless :)

I don't like flying over eight hours in a stretch when I don't have to as I get extremely cramped in the cheap seats. For me the ability to stretch and move around tends to outweigh the advantage of travelling nonstop.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭J.pilkington

Noxegon wrote: »
    I'm not bothered about the opportunity cost of a 777. I'm a customer, not an airline representative. As for valuing my time, I do wonder just how much use the three/four hours saved by going non stop are likely to be. I'm generally in jet lagged stupor by the time I get to Singapore regardless :)

I don't like flying over eight hours in a stretch when I don't have to as I get extremely cramped in the cheap seats. For me the ability to stretch and move around tends to outweigh the advantage of travelling nonstop.

I am not a fan of flying emirates / etihad to east Asia unless you are stopping off in Abu Dhabi / Dubai as its a case of the hassle of boarding a large plane, take a long flight, disembark large plane, sit around with thousands of other grumpy zombies in a packed terminal who are all tired then the hassle of boarding another large plane for another long flight. I prefer the short hop on a small plane then 1 single long flight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭1123heavy

Cost is what it ultimately comes down to for the vast majority of passengers. I personally know a few people who often travel to Australia, they have been commenting recently on how expensive the tickets have become with Emirates and so are seeking alternative means of travel.

With all the cost saving measures they've introduced (baggage allowances, upgrade rules etc), increasing of ticket fares, constant eroding of terms and conditions of their employees, pilots and cabin crew working to their max hours (I suspected this was pprune nonsense until I spoke to an emirates pilot myself) so delievering maximum productivity on the minimal staff numbers, decreasing fuel prices etc ... one has to wonder where it is all going wrong for them with all those things in their favour.

One person put it as a "LCC airline charging luxury airline services". That's probably a bit extreme, but the mighty do seem to have fallen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,956 ✭✭✭Blut2

HEL/Finnair is a great option for connections to Northern Asia. Its a great little airport.
    1123heavy wrote: »
    One person put it as a "LCC airline charging luxury airline services". That's probably a bit extreme, but the mighty do seem to have fallen.

To be fair I'd still rather travel Emirates long-haul than any US carrier. And than most European carriers. Standards are slipping, but they're still significantly higher than a lot of legacy carriers.

They're going to have to change that order of A380s anyway I think, thats the first big move they can make moving forward that will help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭1123heavy

Blut2 wrote: »

They're going to have to change that order of A380s anyway I think, thats the first big move they can make moving forward that will help.

That is correct, however in that part of the world, admitting to making a mistake and getting something wrong is not commonplace. Hubris is the best way to describe it!

1123heavy wrote: »
    Cost is what it ultimately comes down to for the vast majority of passengers. I personally know a few people who often travel to Australia, they have been commenting recently on how expensive the tickets have become with Emirates and so are seeking alternative means of travel.

The only airline I've found cheaper for my Singapore runs is Turkish.

I just checked dates for my next trip – the cheapest non-middle-east airline (Lufthansa) is very nearly double what I'm paying.

• Advertisement
Advertisement