Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Donedeal advertising rate increased by 120% from €5 to €11

Options
  • 12-05-2017 3:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭

Have I got it wrong,or are donedeal trying to get rid of customers or ???????
    Does anyone know what the story is?
    www.donedeal.ie advertising rate increased by 120% from €5 to €11 for a car advertisement.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Zero competition and a captive market. Its like the way we 'Google things' when in fact you are searching. DoneDeal have no competition in the country when it comes to second hand car dealing. Dealers use Carzone, average Joe uses DoneDeal. I wouldn't mind but there overheads are practically nil but I suppose the new owners want RoI quick.

There is however a market here, I feel, for a more car enthusiasts centric classified like Pistonheads in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭porridge365

I wasn't aware until I searched just now that Donedeal.ie,Daft.ie,Adverts.ie and Boards.ie are all owned by the same company.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,127 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

PrettyBoy wrote: »
    Still coming up as €5 for me on the site? Has the increase happened yet?

It says €11 if you go look at the motor car advertising rates. Can't link to it they've it on a wonky webpage.

Carzone is from €5 and it's a bit more prestige.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Adverts are doing free ads for the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

COMPANY IN MAKING MONEY SHOCKER!

• Advertisement

Just checked again on donedeal.ie at the bottom right of the home page under pricing,cars & motor.Basic ad fee €11.I have sent an email to donedeal help desk and am awaiting a reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,429 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

It says €11 if you go look at the motor car advertising rates. Can't link to it they've it on a wonky webpage.

Carzone is from €5 and it's a bit more prestige.

Prestige doesn't sell your car though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Allinall

€11 is great value.

Back in the day you would pay £15 for three lines in the herald.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

It will weed out the Arthur Dailys tho, and general scam / sham ads that frequent the place. I think it will be for the best and will make it a better site for genuine sellers / buyers.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

First the insurance market, now donedeal... is nothing sacred?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Still a decent price for the amount of eyes that ads get. If it means even more serious buyers and less of the timewasters you get on adverts and the likes, ok by me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Agricola wrote: »
    Still a decent price for the amount of eyes that ads get. If it means even more serious buyers and less of the timewasters you get on adverts and the likes, ok by me.

If only they fixed the major flaw of the site - pictures to look at through microscope...

grogi wrote: »
    If only they fixed the major flaw of the site - pictures to look at through microscope...

That is a very real issue. Tiny, tiny pictures, like something from a website in 1998. They really need an option for 'high quality' images. Especially seen as a small picture of a car hides so, so many flaws that are perfectly obvious when you arrive in person to look at it.

(don't get me wrong, i realise bigger pictures still hide flaws)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Agricola wrote: »

Done deal is free for buyers, it's sellers that have to pay therefore it'll have zero impact on timewasters unless of course it's the type of timewasters who advertise their car to test the water or ask about double what it's worth.

Social media particularily Facebook will eventually kill done deal and the likes, raising add prices will only serve to accelerate this. It's already happening in the younger generations.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭E36Ross

Mine still says €5?

When I go to place a new add, Seems that there must be new changes shortly?

€11 to place an add, €5 to bump it.

I actually wouldn't mind paying €10 IF they made it possible to host larger pictures AND it was possible to include up to 15 pics.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

The reason why donedeal got so popular in the first place was because of the cheap price to advertise your car which was originally €3 and the convenient way it could be done by phone.

€11 is steep for an advert that is essentially not a whole lot different/better than the one you could put up for €3 back in the day, as another other poster mentioned the photos are still small and low res and hide a lot of details/flaws on a car. Maybe the advert is listed longer? even so there isn't a massive benefit to that if your car is way down the list after a week.

I believe the spotlight adverts are even more expensive again €20 I think.

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    The reason why donedeal got so popular in the first place was because of the cheap price to advertise your car which was originally €3 and the convenient way it could be done by phone.

What's even more ironic is that the infrastructure costs are constantly going down...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 993 ✭✭✭737max

In UK and Germany the majority of online adverts for cars are on gumtree or kleinanzeigen.ebay.de; both are free but they'll complain if you are using an adblocker because that is how their model finances itself.

If ebay turn their attention to Ireland and start promoting gumtree then donedeal's market will dry up overnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭jelutong

It makes getting rid of unused 3 phone credit easier. Does the increase apply across the board I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Theres one very popular site here in Switzerland where you can sell cars and its about 3chf, which is one of the most reasonable services here :o

Or you can use one of the more "prestigous" ones and pay 60chf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Mezcita wrote: »
    COMPANY RAKING IN MONEY!
    FYP

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

I just this minute put a car up on DD and was charged €5 (via Paypal).
    Despite this the "pricing" section does show the Car Ad cost at €11 :confused:.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,429 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Maybe they're "just testin de water"?

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Maybe they're "just testin de water"?

Probably the fee depends on the asking price...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭millington

Pretty sure I paid €11 a few weeks ago for an ad so don't think it's that new

millington wrote: »
    Pretty sure I paid €11 a few weeks ago for an ad so don't think it's that new

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=103175109

Hi,
    so I have emailed donedeal twice now last Friday and last Monday , asking for them to explain why they have increased the price so much and also why is it that they appear to be charging different prices to different customers?.I have not received any reply (strange?).I intend to email a third time to see if I can get them to explain.I think that it would help if other people emailed in also.Their email address is hello@donedeal.ie.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

grogi wrote: »
    What's even more ironic is that the infrastructure costs are constantly going down...

Maybe I'm wrong but was it ever free? Or am I wrong.

I know when it went from 2 to 5 euro, people had the same reaction and then got over it pretty quickly as there is no alternative.

If they have decided to increase the price then thats their own business,but the didn't announce a price increase and also appear to have different prices for different customers with no explanation.BTW Caliden, there are plenty of alternatives.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

I placed a car ad today for €5.

Advertisement