Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If you don't like a game-do you leave it unfinished?

Options
  • 10-05-2017 10:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭

So far this year I have bought 2 games that I have put serious time into but can't see myself finishing them as I just flat out dislike them at this stage. Games in questions are FF15 and Mass Effect Andromeda.

At what point (if any do you put down your controller and say"enough is enough"? In a time where 70 quid is a considerable amount of wages to be parting with is it worth grinning and bearing to get through some of the duds you might pick up?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭MrSzyslak

So far this year I have bought 2 games that I have put serious time into but can't see myself finishing them as I just flat out dislike them at this stage. Games in questions are FF15 and Mass Effect Andromeda.

At what point (if any do you put down your controller and say"enough is enough"? In a time where 70 quid is a considerable amount of wages to be parting with is it worth grinning and bearing to get through some of the duds you might pick up?

Cut your losses and trade it in. Life's too short :-)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

How far into them are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭DeadlyByDesign

How far into them are you?

Final Fantasy I couldn't stomach anymore of Chapter 13. ME:A I just found out about some sort of Ghost technology and about to go to Meridian (settled 2 planets, altogether 23 hours played I think)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭pm1977x

I can't find the time to finish the games I like nevermind wasting hours on a game I don't enjoy, trade them in and cut your losses!

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭froggy1985

I wouldn't say I don't like the games I don't revisit but with less and less time for gaming (young daughter and busy job) I find myself paying full price for games on launch, playing a few hours here and there, and then leaving it long enough that I have forgotten the story, maps, objectives controls etc. and trying to relearn it without early game tutorials just seems like effort.

Bought Dark Souls 3, and Horizon ZD and played a few hours of both and then left them a few weeks without playing. Picking up where I left off is daunting and I feel like I'd have a bad experience of the games so will probably just start over again when I have time.

That said, I MADE time to complete both Bloodborne and Uncharted 4 so maybe I just didn't like the other games enough!

• Advertisement

Trading in isn't applicable to me most times as I have pretty much gone totally digital

froggy1985 wrote: »
    I wouldn't say I don't like the games I don't revisit but with less and less time for gaming (young daughter and busy job) I find myself paying full price for games on launch, playing a few hours here and there, and then leaving it long enough that I have forgotten the story, maps, objectives controls etc. and trying to relearn it without early game tutorials just seems like effort.

Bought Dark Souls 3, and Horizon ZD and played a few hours of both and then left them a few weeks without playing. Picking up where I left off is daunting and I feel like I'd have a bad experience of the games so will probably just start over again when I have time.

That said, I MADE time to complete both Bloodborne and Uncharted 4 so maybe I just didn't like the other games enough!

Bloodborne is in my uncompleted pile. Not because I don'tlike it, because it kicks my ass. Bloodborne is the video game equivalent of an abusive relationship-no matter how many times its abuses you, you keep coming back because you love him so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭froggy1985

Bloodborne is in my uncompleted pile. Not because I don'tlike it, because it kicks my ass. Bloodborne is the video game equivalent of an abusive relationship-no matter how many times its abuses you, you keep coming back because you love him so much.

I think that's the reason I couldn't leave it uncompleted!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

I don't buy at launch so I usually wait until the game has come down to a price where if I don't enjoy it, I'm not too badly out of pocket. There are a few games I never finished - distracted by other things was usually the cause - but one of the few ones where I actively said 'f?ck this ****' was MGS4 - what a chronic load of poo. Mind you, I hadn't spent much money on it so it wasn't too big a hit. The way I look at it, if you're not having fun why bother trying to grind through it - it'll suck the life out of gaming for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

In answer to OP's question.

Yes, of course. There are too many good games out there to be wasting my time playing something I don't like.

I don't really understand the question or how it could be otherwise.

To OP, would you sit through a film if the first 10 or 20 mins bored the hell out of you or it wasn't your cup of tea or was just plain sh1t ?

These days before you drop full price on games the onus should be on you to do some sort of research.
    There have never been as many resources available to gamers so as to make informed decisions.
    Boards.ie, review sites, youtube reviews, people streaming the actual gameplay, demos !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,322 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

films are a different matter as they are only going to take roughly 2 hours of your time whereas as some game can literally take 100's

the demise of the demo for games is sorely missed as you could usually get a feel of the game before committing to a purchase and trying to get into a beta is literally a lottery

SeantheMan wrote: »
    In answer to OP's question.

Yes, of course. There are too many good games out there to be wasting my time playing something I don't like.

I don't really understand the question or how it could be otherwise.

To OP, would you sit through a film if the first 10 or 20 mins bored the hell out of you or it wasn't your cup of tea or was just plain sh1t ?

These days before you drop full price on games the onus should be on you to do some sort of research.
    There have never been as many resources available to gamers so as to make informed decisions.
    Boards.ie, review sites, youtube reviews, people streaming the actual gameplay, demos !!

I don't think this is a fair comparison. The time it takes to watch a whole film is the time it takes to get the feel for a game. Comparing to a full 20 hour TV season would make more sense.

I tend to rush through single player games these days as I'm too acutely aware of how bored I get. I want to get the fullest experience before the mechanics get stale. I definitely drop games if it stops being fun. I think The Witcher 3 is the only game in a long, long time where I didn't feel it became a slog at some stage. Even the newest Doom, I forced myself through those final few missions. Usually I'd just drop a game at that point.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Actually the same two games I gave up on too.

FFXV just irritated me as every time I jump out of the car...."Enemies above us!!" and cue 5 minutes fighting 20+ soldiers...only to run 20 meters away and....."Enemies above us!". That and the sheer cluster***k that was the map and UI in general.

Andromeda just bored me, so many tiny snippets of interesting gameplay or story wrapped around by hours of driving around a bland barren plain of a planet, shooting up small camps to...do...stuff..or something!

I have so many unplayed games on Steam or on console I have come to the point I either play something I want to play or dont bother: too many games and not enough time to spend finishing something "just because...."

Skerries wrote: »
    films are a different matter as they are only going to take roughly 2 hours of your time whereas as some game can literally take 100's

the demise of the demo for games is sorely missed as you could usually get a feel of the game before committing to a purchase and trying to get into a beta is literally a lottery

Plus the price point of a film vs a AAA game

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

After parting with my hard earned wages for some full priced games (€60+) and being completely dissatisfied with them, I now only purchase games from cdkeys or wait for a steam sale which offers a huge discount. This way if I pay €10 or €20 on a game and it's crap, it's not such a huge loss.

If a game is no good, I don't finish it. If a game is fantastic, I may also not finish it due to a new release or the likes.

My backlog is pretty much my entire steam library :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭Corvo

A few years back, before I grew a bit wiser, I would have been a sucker for buying a game on launch and losing a wedge trading it in. Never happens anymore really, I pick it up cheap now and would have done a fair bit of extensive research on it. Prey is one I have my eyes on it, so I'll be keeping a close eye on reviews and a lot of Youtube videos.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

I don't finish the majority of games I buy to be honest. My time is too precious and limited to be spending it on things I'm not enjoying. The majority of games just aren't that good and might put on a decent show for the first couple of hours before losing their lustre or becoming repetitive.

There's some threshold where I'm not having enough fun to be bothered booting it up again, so I just let it go and move on to something else. I'd say I finish maybe half a dozen games a year, and probably start and then abandon at least double that amount. No regrets.

That said, I deliberately don't buy games on launch unless I'm especially excited about them or confident that I'll get my money's worth. I think the only launch titles I bought in the last 12 months were Battlefield 1 and Mass Effect Andromeda, and I regretted neither. Usually things that pique my interest go on a wishlist and get picked up in a sale later so I've less to lose if I don't really care for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Corvo wrote: »
    A few years back, before I grew a bit wiser, I would have been a sucker for buying a game on launch and losing a wedge trading it in. Never happens anymore really, I pick it up cheap now and would have done a fair bit of extensive research on it. Prey is one I have my eyes on it, so I'll be keeping a close eye on reviews and a lot of Youtube videos.

Elite Dangerous is one I think of. €60 on release, spent most of my time trying to stop the damn space craft within reach of my destination, the rest of the time was spent on docking/undocking. My god what an awful experience (I understand that people love this game, I just sucked at it).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Elite Dangerous is one I think of. €60 on release, spent most of my time trying to stop the damn space craft within reach of my destination, the rest of the time was spent on docking/undocking. My god what an awful experience (I understand that people love this game, I just sucked at it).

This really annoyed me until I eventually got the hang of it. But yeah stopping where you want to is a pain.

This is what got me back into Nintendo games. I found I was forgetting why I was enjoyed games in the first place.

This industry trend of games pretty much Ubisoft are just time wasters and are dreadful to play. Ghost Recon being the latest of it.

I try to play games that are actually fun and grab your attention and feel accomplishment in finishing them. No stupid, collect 90 medals for 10 gamerscore.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    This is what got me back into Nintendo games. I found I was forgetting why I was enjoyed games in the first place.

This industry trend of games pretty much Ubisoft are just time wasters and are dreadful to play. Ghost Recon being the latest of it.

I try to play games that are actually fun and grab your attention and feel accomplishment in finishing them. No stupid, collect 90 medals for 10 gamerscore.

I've never played games like that and I have zero interest in trophies or collectibles so it's never been an issue for me. I'll play the story and when I finish it usually that's me done with the game.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Last game I didn't like was that new sniper game that came out a week or two ago, it was a real chore too play it, unlikable main character, so I traded it in for titan fall 2 , much better game.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

This is one of the reasons I seldom pay full price for a title anymore.
    The last full price, non Nintendo game I bought was The Last Guardian!
    I just can't make time unless it's exceptional, at least for my jaded eyes and I find making time around work and family time very difficult.
    I now have a vast collection of consoles (50+) and games but no chance of playing through even the best of them.
    That said, there's a lot for taking one game and devoting your available time to it, particularly if you enjoyed your brief initial time.
    The Dark Souls games are great for this, as the rewards for dedicated play are manifold.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,865 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I usually end up in the sunken time fallacy. 'I don't like this game but sunk 20 hours into it but if I give up that's 20 hours wasted'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I used to grin and just perservere, but now I just don't have time for it when there are so many other good games to play. Last game I gave up on was Homefront: Revolution, played about 90 minutes and realised it was invoking the same entertainment value within me as hoovering the apartment.

Sometimes I'm also content to just wait it out if there are issues with the game - bought Space Hulk: Deathwing at launch last year but heard it was buggy so made the decision to wait, still haven't played it but waiting will hopefully mean a good to possibly great experience verious a mediocre one when I finally get around to it.

I very rarely buy full price titles anymore save for choices that are bullet-proof in terms of what I'll get out of them, eg Fallout 4, Battlefield 1, etc. It's easier to just allow them to just drop in price and allow any potential associated bugs be ironed out.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Two games recently got a lot of my time and I didn't finish them - both for different reasons.

Planetscape: Torment got about 25 hours out of my but I just lost the will to continue with all the reading you have to do. Storyline didn't keep me interested enough to continue the slog.

MGS:V - Phantom Pain: Played 110 hours and thoroughly enjoyed the first 70 or 80 hours but then found when I had more or less gotten all the weapons I needed and the missions started repeating ad nauseum in the same locations over and over I just let myself drift into another game and haven't gone back. When the main missions you had to complete were old missions but with difficulty modifiers (no guns, no alerts, etc.) that was the final straw for me. That's pure padding no matter how you look at it. And I hate padding.

I finished ME:Andromeda recently despite not enjoying it much. I don't know why I stuck at it. Maybe there was just about enough in the combat to make it worth playing but I definitely got bored of the story and quests 15 hours in. Ended up finishing it just because I knew I was nearly finished the main storyline. I rushed through the last few missions. Extremely disappointing stuff for reasons well documented.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭Moist Bread

yes

Two games recently got a lot of my time and I didn't finish them - both for different reasons.

Planetscape: Torment got about 25 hours out of my but I just lost the will to continue with all the reading you have to do. Storyline didn't keep me interested enough to continue the slog.

MGS:V - Phantom Pain: Played 110 hours and thoroughly enjoyed the first 70 or 80 hours but then found when I had more or less gotten all the weapons I needed and the missions started repeating ad nauseum in the same locations over and over I just let myself drift into another game and haven't gone back. When the main missions you had to complete were old missions but with difficulty modifiers (no guns, no alerts, etc.) that was the final straw for me. That's pure padding no matter how you look at it. And I hate padding.

I finished ME:Andromeda recently despite not enjoying it much. I don't know why I stuck at it. Maybe there was just about enough in the combat to make it worth playing but I definitely got bored of the story and quests 15 hours in. Ended up finishing it just because I knew I was nearly finished the main storyline. I rushed through the last few missions. Extremely disappointing stuff for reasons well documented.

Without spoilers can you tell me if I NEED to colonize and settle the planets it gives us? As far as I can discern this is something I can com back to after the main quest line?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I never used to leave games unfinished, but with less time for gaming nowadays, i tend to be more ruthless with games. If they really don't hold my attention for whatever reason, i drop them. There are so many on my list at the moment, that it's not worth playing a game you don't enjoy just to finish it.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Without spoilers can you tell me if I NEED to colonize and settle the planets it gives us? As far as I can discern this is something I can com back to after the main quest line?

I don't think so but I'm not sure. I colonised the lot before moving on to deal with the baddie so I don't know if colonisation triggers missions further down the line.

Advertisement