Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phone for my mother

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Imessage isn't mms or sms. Its like an apple only version of WhatsApp or similar.

If you want to send free messages or photos over wifi use whatsapp or email.

Its just simplier

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭leex

My own mother went through a similar upgrade a while ago and is getting on fine now. Make sure all updates are either turned off or switched to wifi only.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭from_atozinc

beauf wrote: »
    Imessage isn't mms or sms. Its like an apple only version of WhatsApp or similar.

If you want to send free messages or photos over wifi use whatsapp or email.

Its just simplier

mmmm, will leave it a while, will leave her get used to the phone first and then introduce whats app

leex wrote: »
    My own mother went through a similar upgrade a while ago and is getting on fine now. Make sure all updates are either turned off or switched to wifi only.

thanks.

im not really familiar with Android phones.
    Can anyone tell me the easiest way to turn off automatic updates on Android?

Considering you can get almost unlimited data/calls for €20. If you want to avoid bill shock. That is the way I would go.

It allows you to use smart phone as it was designed.

Personally I have all updates turned off except on WiFi. But there always something unexpected that gobbles up data. On windows phone I could turn off data on one onscreen toggle. On Android is scattered all over the place across apps, system and the data toggle itself. Often an update will turn data back on for itself.

• Advertisement

beauf wrote: »
    Considering you can get almost unlimited data/calls for €20. If you want to avoid bill shock. That is the way I would go.

It allows you to use smart phone as it was designed.

Personally I have all updates turned off except on WiFi. But there always something unexpected that gobbles up data. On windows phone I could turn off data on one onscreen toggle. On Android is scattered all over the place across apps, system and the data toggle itself. Often an update will turn data back on for itself.

but can you get these unlimited data etc on pay as you go phones. I know nothing about how this operates really.

yeah, its annoying that you cant just turn things off with 1 tap.

I said almost.

http://www.48months.ie/

No way your mother will get though that 20 plan.

or even this one.
    http://www.three.ie/eShop/phone-plans/prepay/
    You have €20 worth of credit for calls.

Same with these
    https://meteor.ie/pay-as-you-go/simplicity/#15GB

Advertisement