Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

can a bar request purchase of certain item to use card?

Options
  • 07-05-2017 11:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭

Can a bar request that you buy a certain item, say a bag of nuts, to pay using card? And could this be enforced if no sign is displayed and no prior warning is given until after the other items have already been consumed?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Lau2976 wrote: »
    Can a bar request that you buy a certain item, say a bag of nuts, to pay using card? And could this be enforced if no sign is displayed and no prior warning is given until after the other items have already been consumed?

Thanks

Are you saying you have to buy nuts, or are you saying that the bar will not accept card payment below a certain threshold (say €10 minuimum) and you had to buy the nuts to reach that threshold?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,437 ✭✭✭TheChizler

davo10 wrote: »
    Are you saying you have to buy nuts, or are you saying that the bar will not accept card payment below a certain threshold (say €10 minuimum) and you had to buy the nuts to reach that threshold?
    Neither of which would be acceptable to the terminal issuer.

TheChizler wrote: »
    Neither of which would be acceptable to the terminal issuer.

Terminal issuers do like receiver fees though, has a issuer ever removed a card machine based on the minimum spend policy?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

There is no obligation to accept card payments. Cards aren't legal tender. Minimum amounts are common enough and banks don't object to this given the fees involved. They do kick up a fuss if a retailer sticks on additional charges for card payments.

Bottom line the retailer didn't have top accept the card and OP would still have to pay for what they ordered.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

Bottom line the retailer didn't have top accept the card and OP would still Jane to pay for what they ordered.

That's very unfair on Jane what if she only had some nuts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

jcd5971 wrote: »
    That's very unfair on Jane what if she only had some nuts.

then the bar would be selling at a loss due to transaction fee's. Hardly fair either .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

Skatedude wrote: »
    then the bar would be selling at a loss due to transaction fee's. Hardly fair either .
    I highly doubt the bar would be selling at a loss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

I read the op as saying that the customer was required to use a card to buy nuts, but only nuts (or something similar).

That's how it is phrased.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I read the op as saying that the customer was required to use a card to buy nuts, but only nuts (or something similar).

This.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

It appears to me that the op is being requested to purchase an additional item. Nuts were a suggestion. Confectionary is usually suggested in shops who are doing a low value sale through a card transaction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,941 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Thanks

But then what' are the "other items" referred to in the OP?

The whole question makes no sense to me, OP needs to clarify.

It clearly refers to some incident that happened, why can't they just tell us what happened and then ask the question?

Highly doubtful, what if customer had nut allergy? Bet this is to do with minimum spend, which is very common practice.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,226 ✭✭✭emo72

I'm lost. The op could certainly be phrased better.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

davo10 wrote: »
    Highly doubtful, what if customer had nut allergy? Bet this is to do with minimum spend, which is very common practice.

I'm guessing this was a minimum spend. 2 pints come to €9.40. "D'you fancy a bag of nuts to bring it to over a tenner?"

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    , why can't they just tell us what happened and then ask the question?
    You're in consumer issues now, land of the vague. The crosaire cryptic crossword is easier at times.

My guess is "other items have already been consumed" means they took a sip of their drinks.

For some reason people feel the need to sound like a cringeworthy garda.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭xabi

I tried to pay a garage using debit card for some items that came to 9 euro or so, was told minimum spend was 10, I begrudgingly took their advice to buy a scratch card to bring th total up. Won 20 quid on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Lau2976

Apologies if the post was unclear.

The bartender said that the purchase had to be a certain item, not a minimum charge. I'm aware of that charge and had already met it. The nuts were just an example

The bartender said that the purchase had to be a certain item, not a minimum charge. I'm aware of that charge and had already met it. The nuts were just an example

Was this requirement to buy the certain item part of promotion or dicount you were availing of? If not, and you have met the minimum spend, it makes no sense.

Why don't you just give us the full information leaving out the name of the bar, what did you have to buy and why did they say you had to buy it?. Drip feeding info just pisses everyone off.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,941 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

That hasn't made your question any clearer at all!

To me anyhow.

I purchased non alcoholic drinks at a bar. Went to pay for them, having well met the minimum €10 to pay on card and was told to use card I had to buy at least one pint of any alcoholic drink.

• Advertisement

I purchased non alcoholic drinks at a bar. Went to pay for them, having well met the minimum €10 to pay on card and was told to use card I had to buy at least one pint of any alcoholic drink.

Why didn't you just put that as your opening post?

That is a crap policy by the bar, it's not illegal because they don't have to accept card payments at all, but it's a crap policy.

It fairness I think the opening post is totally clear. It's just bizarre that the bar would do this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

I don't get minimum spend or additional fee policies.......the transaction fee is much less than the comparable cash lodgement or coin exchange fee in a bank so retailers should be encouraging card payments.....unless of course not all the takings are going through the books

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

It fairness I think the opening post is totally clear. It's just bizarre that the bar would do this.
    It is not clear at all, first they spoke of nuts, now its specifically 1 pint of alcohol, not halfs, not spirits (often more profitable)... If they did force you to buy nuts, rather than a min spend, then I would think it extremely odd. But snacks are usually a very high margin item in pubs, so I did consider it might be the case and that instead of asking for a 50cent surcharge they got their 50cent (or more) back by the sale of a pack of nuts or crisps. I say "or crisps" as many are allergic to nuts.

You might see newsagents etc exclude very low profit items from their limits, like cigarettes or lottery tickets.

I purchased non alcoholic drinks at a bar. Went to pay for them, having well met the minimum ?10 to pay on card and was told to use card I had to buy at least one pint of any alcoholic drink.
    I am still confused as to what was going on, and still feel you are holding back info. You say there was a 10 euro minimum spend, was this on a notice in the pub? what were the drinks you bought? how much were you over the 10 euro limit. How long were you in the pub? how many of you?

i.e. do you think there is anything unusual you were doing that you are purposely leaving out. e.g. I have seen teams of foreign students taking over large sections of a pub near me, many not drinking and others sipping soft drinks for hours.

Was their any signage about this "one point of alcoholic drink", as most soft drinks are more profitable for them I would have thought they would want you drinking them. And seems very odd to be forcing alcohol upon people, what if nobody in the group drank? or were all driving?
    368100 wrote: »
    I don't get minimum spend or additional fee policies.......the transaction fee is much less than the comparable cash lodgement or coin exchange fee in a bank so retailers should be encouraging card payments.
    several posters have been on before saying its not always the case, it can go either way, some are paying a lot more for CC transactions than others, and I guess CC and DD cards would be different. I guess the coin exchange fees can vary a lot too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

I don't get minimum spend or additional fee policies.......the transaction fee is much less than the comparable cash lodgement or coin exchange fee in a bank so retailers should be encouraging card payments.....unless of course not all the takings are going through the books

I dont think so as the retailer has to pay a transaction fee for EVERY card sale, There is only a single fee for cash or coin lodgement which will consist of probably hundreds of transactions.

So if you buy some thing for cash for under a tenner, then the profits can go to the company. But if you pay by card, then the transaction fee the bank charges can be more than the profit made so the bar or shop has made a loss on the sale.
    Companies have to pay a fixed minimum fee for taking a card sale, at some point the fee is more than the profit

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

I dont think so as the retailer has to pay a transaction fee for EVERY card sale, There is only a single fee for cash or coin lodgement which will consist of probably hundreds of transactions.

What's more they may be able to pay suppliers in cash and lower the transaction fee.

rubadub wrote: »
    I am still confused as to what was going on, and still feel you are holding back info. You say there was a 10 euro minimum spend, was this on a notice in the pub? what were the drinks you bought? how much were you over the 10 euro limit. How long were you in the pub? how many of you?

i.e. do you think there is anything unusual you were doing that you are purposely leaving out. e.g. I have seen teams of foreign students taking over large sections of a pub near me, many not drinking and others sipping soft drinks for hours.

Was their any signage about this "one point of alcoholic drink", as most soft drinks are more profitable for them I would have thought they would want you drinking them. And seems very odd to be forcing alcohol upon people, what if nobody in the group drank? or were all driving?

I haven't held back anything, there was four of us and we were there about an hour and a half, probably a bit less, others had gotten food, I was just drinking. I was paying for myself and someone else and spent around 30, so well over the 10 that as I already said I knew about. The minimum spend was posted, the other clause was not.

Although really don't see what any of that has to do with my original question, which imo is exactly the same as I posted originally. Also imo it's been answered, a business can put a clause on paying with card as they don't have to accept card payment. It's really not something that I'm that bothered about tbh, I paid with cash in the end, I was just curious as to whether this was allowed. It's not good business practice and I won't be going back as I don't drink alcohol and prefer dealing with card.

So if you buy some thing for cash for under a tenner, then the profits can go to the company. But if you pay by card, then the transaction fee the bank charges can be more than the profit made so the bar or shop has made a loss on the sale.
    Companies have to pay a fixed minimum fee for taking a card sale, at some point the fee is more than the profit

I think you'll find that bank charge an amount per €100 lodged and per €100 exchanged in the case of coin.

I think you'll find that bank charge an amount per €100 lodged and per €100 exchanged in the case of coin.
    About 0.5% when I used to be doing it. On par with contactless, depending on your merchant services agreement.

• Advertisement

About 0.5% when I used to be doing it. On par with contactless, depending on your merchant services agreement.

Exactly.. ..so with no cost saving when contactless is used.....where is the rationale in imposing a minimum spend or additional charges? I think some retailers are uninformed about the fees that their bank actually charge

Advertisement