Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€ 170,000 to invest in a business or investment

Options
  • 05-05-2017 5:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi All , Anyone any ideas where to invest € 170,000 ie , in a business or an investment account , Cheers

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Hi All , Anyone any ideas where to invest € 170,000 ie , in a business or an investment account , Cheers

Almost certainly, keep it in the bank.

Or Vegas, put the whole lot on black.

Seriously though, if you think you've given anything like enough information for people to be able to give you realistic advice. The right answer is almost certainly keep it in the bank.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

In my own opinion, seek out a financial adviser. I wouldn't throw that sort of money at any old business, start up or well established for that matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 frankie1007

Cheers thanks ill do that

• Registered Users Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

What are you hoping to get out of it? A % return per year, a % of the business, a hands on role etc?

Hi , Thanks for the reply , I was hoping for a yearly return , but not sure what to do ,
    Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭wordofwarning

How long do you want to lock it up for? Are you a high income earner?

If you want to lock it up for 4 years plus and you are a high income earner. The EIIS scheme might be attractive to you. It is tax saving scheme, but carries some risk.

Cheers , no not a high earner, but could tie it up for 4 years , ill check it out , Thanks

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Would you consider a low to medium risk investment fund with the likes of BOI, AIB or the likes?

You might be better off posting in the Investments & Markets forum (or asking a mod to move this post).

You will probably be asked what you're hoping to achieve (income/capital appreciation) and what sort of risk your prepared to accept (higher risk usually equals greater potential return but bigger chance of losing it all).

cheers , Thanks for your thoughts , will try

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭mrawkward

Thanks ill have a look at it , Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

open a Davy account and diversify the €170k over 10-20 different positions and industries over a period of time (do not rush this). There are some really good Irish stocks at moment, example Glanbia, Kerry, CRH, Ryanair, Kingspan, etc.. and balance these with some mutual funds and bonds. Day to day some will be up and others will be down but over time and if you make wise decisions you should see growth. By doing all this yourself you will become very educated and knowledgeable in the market and over time you will be able good risk/reward decisions.

(PS: this is what I do and my returns are quite good)

With the ISEQ having risen by 50% over the past 18 months or so and prices now at post crash highs plus Brexit looming etc...equities are a brave move right now, imo. Trading costs and account fees etc all add up. My returns were rather poor compared to the commercial only investment property portfolio I now hold, by a factor of three!!

Thanks guys you are being very helpful , Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 27 lightoffshore

I'm presuming you don't need the money for 5 plus years.

Choose a % split of stocks and bonds and invest via mutual funds or etfs instead of trying to pick individual stocks. It's a mugs game. Take a long term view.

Whatever you do, don't use Davy etc. Their fees are an absolute disgrace. They actually charge you more if you choose your own stocks/fundss (execution account), and take a minimum annually no matter what. Ireland in particular has no good brokers.

As you have a sizeable sum you could consider using Interactive Brokers. Super low transaction fees and access to the lowest expense funds in the world (vanguard in particular). Fill out a W8-BEN to avoid being taxed in the US (as you're not a resident there).

IMO the worst place you can leave your money as an investment, is a bank. No return with today's interest rates. We're back to inflation now so you're losing money on an annual basis.

That said, stocks seem very over valued, particularly if trumpy doesn't get the tax reforms through, so waiting a while to drop money in might be no harm. Overall if you invest in total in chunks, over time, and leave it there for 10 years plus you should do well

Very good advice , Thank you for that , Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

I sent you a PM frankie1007.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭Niallof9

Hi my friend yes please email me and your details at princejohnwugami@iwilltakecareofyourmoney.ng and i will talk you through some options.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭dublinbando

If I was you I would buy an apartment in Dublin and lease it out for €1,000+ per month, then deposit this into a high interest savings account or invest in stocks and bonds.

Your yield from the rental income alone would be ~8% while property prices are rising and then reinvesting the rental income in a savings account could get you another 3% interest on that.

Not sure what kind of return you could expect on stocks and bonds but I think a savings account with 3% interest has a limit like 50k or something so you could then move to stocks and bonds after maxing out the savings?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7 Boarder81

I'd looked into Linked Finance. You can contribute (or part contribute) to a Business requiring a loan which in turn can generate a much higher return (8-10%) depending on the business

Cheers thanks for your thoughts

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭danko82

very interesting discussion.

Have you thought about to buy a house and rent it?
    a rent in the same house you live , Up to 14k should be without taxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

danko82 wrote: »
    very interesting discussion.

Have you thought about to buy a house and rent it?
    a rent in the same house you live , Up to 14k should be without taxes.

Why is buying a house and renting it out is the default investment advice in this country? We really do need to get beyond only thinking about property as the only thing one should be pumping their money into.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

BailMeOut wrote: »
    Why is buying a house and renting it out is the default investment advice in this country? We really do need to get beyond only thinking about property as the only thing one should be pumping their money into.

I'd tend to agree given the current rent situation. Like the housing bubble for the early 2000s, it can't continue and at some point has to give. That said, getting new houses built is currently on the go slow, so you're still ahead of the game. Had I the money, I'd be making such an investment now as the timing is closing to get on the 'pyramid' in my eyes. I'd also be lining up a sundry avenue e.g. I'd be buying a house near a hospital, business park or university so you always have tenants. I'll never forget my time in UCD as the financial crisis hit rock bottom, two houses outside the gate probably went for a combined total of €300k or so. By now I'd wager you would have got 5 times back out of them with a straight sell, or you'd be comfortably supported on the combined rent from students.

Alternatively, I'd be mirroring similar enterprises in on the continent and setting up clever smaller units in a single house for rent.

I have never been able to make any financial sense out of investing in residential property as a long term imnvestment. The taxation regime is unfair and penalises where it should encourage the provision of such in a market starved of supply. Most small investors are getting out, if they can afford it!! The law and legal process favours the tenant to such an extreme degree that they can do whatever they like, pay or not pay at will, wreck your property and you get to carry all losses. You are liable to pay for legal and letting fees, repairs, service charges and property tax on rental units etc etc. Of course there are good tenants but with minimal returns (rarely more than 5% gross before tax) it is up there with investing in holiday rentals in Bulgaria, Turkey and the like. As a nation, we do appear to have a very unhealthy need to own property despite the well publicised poor investment returns that are available. I blame Cromwell.

Im looking at coming back to Ireland to start doing real estate projects there instead of overseas as everything my research is pointing to is telling me the market is going to continue upwards.
    While I don't know much about the landlord situation in terms of taxes and so on and that isn't my game, the capital appreciation on house prices I believe is going to keep going.

The fundamental of demand outweighing supply is the overriding factor - the thing is NAMA put most of the Irish developers out of business, even if they were able to service the loans, they were still denied the ability to do this. It was like a blanket demonization of developers across the board - while some were bad, some were also good. Whats left is almost nobody building new houses and servicing the demand, and probably a deep distrust of the banks from any entrepreneurs who have the cahones to get into development. So this is why rents are climbing in my opinion, and I don't see it as a bubble because the banks aren't over lending like before and creating a kind of fake market place by lending to people who can't afford the repayments and much more reasonable LTV rates that aren't I suppose bubble creating.

I'm not sure 170K is enough though to take advantage of the current price boom as perhaps you can't get anything in the right spot for that unless your going to take on a mortgage with it

the point is to use part of your money as a deposit and then to have a positive cash flow between mortgage and rent..

this what I was thinking

let's say:

250k = 230k apt/house + 20k taxies/expenses?
    25k deposit plus 225k mortgate 20 years= 1300 month

so now to have a positive cash flow, I need to have a net rent over 1300. is that possible?

danko82 wrote: »
    the point is to use part of your money as a deposit and then to have a positive cash flow between mortgage and rent..

this what I was thinking

let's say:

250k = 230k apt/house + 20k taxies/expenses?
    25k deposit plus 225k mortgate 20 years= 1300 month

so now to have a positive cash flow, I need to have a net rent over 1300. is that possible?

You will need to take into account tax on that rental income. You can only offset a percentage of the mortgage interest.

• Advertisement

Graham wrote: »
    You will need to take into account tax on that rental income. You can only offset a percentage of the mortgage interest.

not if I live in that house as well, right? up to 14k..

If I don't live in that house, how much are the taxes for a rental income? 40% 50%?

Advertisement