Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weight loss help

Options
  • 04-05-2017 1:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭

Hi guys,

I am just looking for a bit of advice.

I have quite a lot of weight to lose. 74lbs to get me to a healthy weight for my height. I have tried slimming world before a couple of years ago, I lost 1.5 stone but quit because I didn't i didn't like the plan they use.

My portion control and tendency for treats are my down fall. My other half is a builder and he eats quite a bit. So I've found myself making massive dinners for him and eating the same portion size which is unacceptable obviously as I don't burn it of like he does.

I also work 2 days a week, on these days I am very good, for example I weigh my porridge, fruit and yougurt for brekkie. Have a salad for lunch. It's when I am home that's the problem. I don't eat breakfast when I am off, get no exercise other then walking the dog or walking to do the food shop.

I eat pretty much all that's around me. Massive sandwiches for lunch and then the massive dinner at night and then snacking on crap.

I don't even know where to begin with meal planning or shopping lists to get me on a better track.

Can anyone help to nudge me in the right direction, a few ideas on what I can do to get me started.

I also tend to cook things from scratch e.g. Sauces are all home made not shop bought jars, I cook my own oven chips.

Also what are people's thoughts on portion control plates? Changing a large dinner plate for a smaller one?

Thank you and sorry for the long post!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,554 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Start off with portion control. Smaller plates help - it's a bit of a hack but it works both mentally and because you're less inclined to pile the food onto a smaller plate.

Reduce the amount or snacks you have access to. If it's not there, you won't eat it.

Keep a food diary and have it with you as much as possible. If you're going to eat something, log it before you eat it. That pause might make you question whether you actually want it.

Of course there are ways to short circuit all that and still eat the same because the key ingredient in all this is actually wanting to make the change. Plenty of people have started threads on wanting to lose weight only to start another one telling a similar story a few weeks/months later because they didn't want to change enough the first time around.

Plenty of other posters will be able to offer advice as well. Just be prepared to exercise some discipline yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭bladespin

Food diary - weight everything you're eating, write it down along with the calories that's in there - My Fitness Pal is great for this, I use it myself.

Once you see the numbers you can easily adjust - often with out too much of a shock to the system.

Don't go mad cutting calories at the start, find your ideal intake and try to stay at that for a couple of weeks, then reduce it a little and see what kind of drop that brings, if you find you're not loosing, drop it a little more. That way you're allowed to still enjoy food rather than suffering a diet.
    IME a big problem was going straight for the ultra restrictive diet then getting very frustrated if the results weren't coming, patience is key and remember it's a long game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭RoisinClare6

Thanks for the input guys, have a food diary now and hoping to pick us a scales tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭marialouise

Another vote for weighing and logging your food. MyFitnessPal really opened my eyes to what I was eating, and I lost a lot of weight using it.

Another thing about portion control.... I have always had a large appetite and my solution to curbing this was having HUGE portions of low calorie foods like vegetables and lean meats or fish, and then cutting back on foods which don't offer much nutrition for their calories (junk food). I also lowered my carbohydrate intake but mostly by cutting out sugary foods and loads of bread/pasta, I still eat them but things like oats, sweet potato, etc., and in reasonable portions.

So breakfast might be 2 eggs and a huge bowl of spinach, tomato, onion, mushrooms, but no bread. I eat about 4 more times during the day and it might be a chicken fillet with a HUGE portion of salad (various leaves, peppers, half an avocado, a chili dish with lean beef and loooooads of vegetables and not too much rice, or fat free greek yoghurt with dark chocolate, nuts (weighed) or fruit.

So once you learn about the nutrition in some foods, you can feel more in control. I still eat a huge dinner AND eat again before bed, but I'll do things like have almond milk in my tea (takes a bit of getting used to but having 10 cups of tea a day with milk it helps me reduce the calories) and I'll have ONE square of 85% chocolate with tea if I want something sweet. I used to have suuuch a sweet tooth and needed a "treat" multiple times a day - it's not a treat anymore then! But I've managed to curb all my cravings and really find biscuits and chocolate too sugary, even things like fruit seem really sweet now. You don't have to deprive yourself! Eat well every day and continue to cook from scratch and use MFP to build a treat into your calories. That's what I did and it just became a lifestyle, not some sort of diet. You sound like you're on the right track already by willing to change and understanding what needs to change, you just have to do it now. Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Excited!

Hi guys,

I am just looking for a bit of advice.

I have quite a lot of weight to lose. 74lbs to get me to a healthy weight for my height. I have tried slimming world before a couple of years ago, I lost 1.5 stone but quit because I didn't i didn't like the plan they use.

My portion control and tendency for treats are my down fall. My other half is a builder and he eats quite a bit. So I've found myself making massive dinners for him and eating the same portion size which is unacceptable obviously as I don't burn it of like he does.

I also work 2 days a week, on these days I am very good, for example I weigh my porridge, fruit and yougurt for brekkie. Have a salad for lunch. It's when I am home that's the problem. I don't eat breakfast when I am off, get no exercise other then walking the dog or walking to do the food shop.

I eat pretty much all that's around me. Massive sandwiches for lunch and then the massive dinner at night and then snacking on crap.

I don't even know where to begin with meal planning or shopping lists to get me on a better track.

Can anyone help to nudge me in the right direction, a few ideas on what I can do to get me started.

I also tend to cook things from scratch e.g. Sauces are all home made not shop bought jars, I cook my own oven chips.

Also what are people's thoughts on portion control plates? Changing a large dinner plate for a smaller one?

Thank you and sorry for the long post!

Hi Roisinclare6

Well done on taking first steps and getting committed to getting healthier.

I am in the same boat, I have 60lbs to loose to be at my ideal weight, but have a shorter term goal of 30lbs for the next 3 months.

I've got a good idea of nutrition and I've had a good few injuries over the last year (knee, groin, foot,back) so exercise was one step forward, two steps back for a long time. I also have reflux and diastis recti (abs muscles split (due to two babies and gall bladder surgery within 18 mths)) so can't do all exercises,so I've done a month of personal training to strengthen and basically learn exercises that I can do without injury or problems, it has been fantastic and I've learned so much while really enjoying it.

My big problem is I'm currently at home full time looking after my young kids and an elderly grandparent that lives with me. I get 2x30 slots a week to myself for exercise. I do 2xnight classes a week and I'm a bit wrecked from it all!! I find it really hard to stay on track at home, my other half eats the healthy meals I cook as well as extras and naughty stuff after, which really doesn't help my motivation. When I'm out and about I find it so much easier but that doesn't happen too often.

I also tried slimming world and while it did work I didn't like the system,I hated all the artificial sweeteners in alot of recipes and low fat /sugar foods encouraged. I am at real risk of diabetes as have had gestational diabetes, so really need to get this under control. The one thing I really did like about slimming world was the motivation if other people and not feeling like you were on your own, or when you were having a low moment they helped get you out of it, or share your little achievements. This helps me alot.

I've just downloaded my fitness pal also, it looks great

So after all that dribble my question is......would you like to be weight loss buddies? To encourage each other through the hard times and share joys of each pound list, swap menu/fitness tips and just help with motivation in general.

If you would like to, please sent me a message and we can swap details and start supporting each other. But if it's not your thing honestly that is no problem at all, it's not for everyone and I wish you all the best in your journey ☺

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭mathie

Another vote for weighing and logging your food. MyFitnessPal really opened my eyes to what I was eating, and I lost a lot of weight using it.

Another thing about portion control.... I have always had a large appetite and my solution to curbing this was having HUGE portions of low calorie foods like vegetables and lean meats or fish, and then cutting back on foods which don't offer much nutrition for their calories (junk food). I also lowered my carbohydrate intake but mostly by cutting out sugary foods and loads of bread/pasta, I still eat them but things like oats, sweet potato, etc., and in reasonable portions.

So breakfast might be 2 eggs and a huge bowl of spinach, tomato, onion, mushrooms, but no bread. I eat about 4 more times during the day and it might be a chicken fillet with a HUGE portion of salad (various leaves, peppers, half an avocado, a chili dish with lean beef and loooooads of vegetables and not too much rice, or fat free greek yoghurt with dark chocolate, nuts (weighed) or fruit.

So once you learn about the nutrition in some foods, you can feel more in control. I still eat a huge dinner AND eat again before bed, but I'll do things like have almond milk in my tea (takes a bit of getting used to but having 10 cups of tea a day with milk it helps me reduce the calories) and I'll have ONE square of 85% chocolate with tea if I want something sweet. I used to have suuuch a sweet tooth and needed a "treat" multiple times a day - it's not a treat anymore then! But I've managed to curb all my cravings and really find biscuits and chocolate too sugary, even things like fruit seem really sweet now. You don't have to deprive yourself! Eat well every day and continue to cook from scratch and use MFP to build a treat into your calories. That's what I did and it just became a lifestyle, not some sort of diet. You sound like you're on the right track already by willing to change and understanding what needs to change, you just have to do it now. Best of luck!

If I could thank this post more I would.
    Excellent advice.

I went from eating at least a packet of biscuits a day, two chocolate bars and a lot more rubbish to eating none of it at all.
    Now the idea of having a biscuit does nothing for me.

But it's a slow process to get there.
    Don't cut them out cold turkey ... learn to substitute with healthier options or just gradually cut back. It takes a bit of discipline but believe me it gets easier.
    To the point where it's not in any way difficult anymore.

And as marialouise said load up on vegetables. They will keep the hunger at bay.
    Specifically non-starchy vegetables (veggies you could eat raw - not that you have to eat them raw though) and low-fructose fruits.

Best of luck.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12 Brother Luke

mathie wrote: »

If I could thank this post more I would.
    Excellent advice.

I went from eating at least a packet of biscuits a day, two chocolate bars and a lot more rubbish to eating none of it at all.
    Now the idea of having a biscuit does nothing for me.

But it's a slow process to get there.
    Don't cut them out cold turkey ... learn to substitute with healthier options or just gradually cut back. It takes a bit of discipline but believe me it gets easier.
    To the point where it's not in any way difficult anymore.

And as marialouise said load up on vegetables. They will keep the hunger at bay.
    Specifically non-starchy vegetables (veggies you could eat raw - not that you have to eat them raw though) and low-fructose fruits.

Best of luck.
    I agree. Load up on fruit and veg smoothies. That's what your body really craves. I had two smoothies today, one with orange and carrot, the other with orange and celery. Kept my appetite at bay. I maintained 2,000 calories for the day.
    Having a large appetite isn't a bad thing once you load up on high fibre/low calorie foods.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 mart_in

I have similar problem. Years of working 7 days per week, long hours... Negligence and fast foods.

I recently moved to a new apartment and decided to capitalise on the change... I started working out (mainly crosstrainer). Diet obviously. Working out is hard after years of doing nothing. So I decided to take some supplements as well. Fat burner (mostly for caffeine kick before workout) and protein shake instead of breakfast. Smaller plates instead of 1-2 big ones per day.

I lost 3kg in 2 weeks so far.

I agree. Load up on fruit and veg smoothies. That's what your body really craves. I had two smoothies today, one with orange and carrot, the other with orange and celery. Kept my appetite at bay. I maintained 2,000 calories for the day.
    Having a large appetite isn't a bad thing once you load up on high fibre/low calorie foods.

I hate smoothies and soups. I eat loads of veg but prefer to actually chew them, I don't enjoy liquid calories! My body craves real food :P
    mart_in wrote: »
    I have similar problem. Years of working 7 days per week, long hours... Negligence and fast foods.

I recently moved to a new apartment and decided to capitalise on the change... I started working out (mainly crosstrainer). Diet obviously. Working out is hard after years of doing nothing. So I decided to take some supplements as well. Fat burner (mostly for caffeine kick before workout) and protein shake instead of breakfast. Smaller plates instead of 1-2 big ones per day.

I lost 3kg in 2 weeks so far.

Well done on making changes, obviously moving a bit more and taking in a bit less food than before is good. I don't encourage "fat burners", if you want a caffeine kick have a coffee, I think they're rubbish. The protein shake is your breakfast, it's not instead of breakfast, it still has calories. And that's great that frequent smaller meals are working for you, maybe 2 meals a day is someone else's sweet spot (the OP for example), nutrition timing is further down the ladder of importance than calorie control. Well done though, keep it up!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 mart_in

Well, working long hours means I dring a lot of coffee... I mean A LOT! Usually 2-3 before 10AM... Meaning caffeine kick from fat burners are really appreciated :D

The thing is, sometimes we need some extra... help. If supplements can help me, why not? All standard ways, reducing intake of calories, of carbs etc + some supplementation when needed. Workout is obviously the most difficult. The body needs a routine. This is where that extra "help" is needed... just to get into the routine of getting up earlier to work out, to do something after work...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,554 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

mart_in wrote: »
    Well, working long hours means I dring a lot of coffee... I mean A LOT! Usually 2-3 before 10AM... Meaning caffeine kick from fat burners are really appreciated :D

The thing is, sometimes we need some extra... help. If supplements can help me, why not? All standard ways, reducing intake of calories, of carbs etc + some supplementation when needed. Workout is obviously the most difficult. The body needs a routine. This is where that extra "help" is needed... just to get into the routine of getting up earlier to work out, to do something after work...

If you're drinking a lot of caffeine, the levels of caffeine in fat burners will do little for you. It's more likely to be a placebo.

Yep some supplements can help, with regular structured training and strict nutrition. They're so far down the list of things you should be using to get results. But if it motivates you to go and workout then grand!

The-Pyramid-Of-Nutrition-Priorities.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Dixie Chick

I run a local unislim class and I can honestly say that the amount of pressure people put on themselves to be perfect in one fell swoop is their ultimate downfall.

I think if you started with cutting back on the portions a bit this week, then the next week solidify that. The week after work on smarter snacks, the week after solidify that. Within a month you then have sorted your portion sizing and are getting a handle on better snacks.

The days you are in work are clearly the routined eating days and maybe you need to set up a structure for yourself on those other days that keep you in line.

Bottom line, is that it is very doable and there are many ways to get there but I think the slow and steady changes are the most successdul. Best of luck to you !

Advertisement