Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android OS upgradability

Options
13»

Comments

cal60 wrote: »
    You must've won the lotto ? :D

Nope. Buy outright for €600-700. Sell for €350. Only an outlay of a few hundred euro per year.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Bradz213

The updates for Android are fine but Ive made the mistake of updating to 7.0 with the HTC 10. It will be the last time I make a major version update with Android. Absolutely killed the phone

Bradz213 wrote: »
    The updates for Android are fine but Ive made the mistake of updating to 7.0 with the HTC 10. It will be the last time I make a major version update with Android. Absolutely killed the phone

Was fine for me. 7.1 will improve things, whenever that gets pushed out.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Bradz213

Literally have gone from having 65-70% battery at the end of the working day to 20% if im lucky. Fully wiped/reset to no avail.

Literally have gone from having 65-70% battery at the end of the working day to 20% if im lucky. Fully wiped/reset to no avail.

Same problem a lot of S7 users are having, I think. Dunno when the update will get pushed to the 10, with the U11 released next week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Would you not download the MM update and downgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭cal60

Would you not download the MM update and downgrade.

Basil3 seems to be convinced that Android devices are OK to use even if they are on an older version. Does anybody have any definite information or link to establish whether older version devices get any security updates or is it a case that updates for say Marshmallow devices cease once the 7.0 Nougat update for that device is released ?

Basil3 seems to be convinced that Android devices are OK to use even if they are on an older version. Does anybody have any definite information or link to establish whether older version devices get any security updates or is it a case that updates for say Marshmallow devices cease once the 7.0 Nougat update for that device is released ?

What do you mean by 'OK to use'? Anything older than Lollipop might give you issues with app compatibility, but other than that you're fine using older versions.

Have you ever heard of a security issue crippling older Android devices? Do you realise only a tiny tiny percentage of all Android devices would be on the latest security patches?

Regarding security patches, some devices get updates after the Android updates have ceased. My Nexus 9 doesn't receive Android updates any more, but will still get the security patches coming through.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭T-Bird

Don't need a smart phone for any of that. We were tracable with standard mobile phones. Smart Advertisement Displays can have camera's which'll profile you (Age Range / Race / Gender) and present an ad that it thinks will get your attention.

Yes you are correct regarding the smart advertising I was admittedly a bit tongue in cheek about that one.

But I still stick to my argument re the upgrades. The new technology is more and more being used to track everything you do. This is all for marketing reasons. And is also a reason why most of these companies inform you that they have changed their ts & cs.

With today's technology you are being tracked, all gmails are being read as well as anything on their cloud drives. It's a program that's reading the info so the info is not going anywhere. But they are using that info to then send you information that may be relevant to you.

Essentially Google are giving the software away for free I their phones and I guess this is why so many manufacturers are using it. But they are getting valuable information from it themselves. They started out as a search engine but have now evolved into so much more. Advertising has evolved so much in such a short time and it is through their platform where a vast majority of the information will come from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

Patww79 wrote: »

I know where you are coming from and I take your point - like yourself I have nothing to hide either - my web surfing is fairly innocuous. However would you be happy if your browsing history was permanently listed down the side of each webpage you open so that anybody you might show the page to can see it - in effect the ads which appear can essentially be a proxy for your web history. For example I have looked up online backup and the next thing I start getting ads relating to same , I looked up an article to do with arthritis in the knee - next thing I am getting picture of knee-bones showing up in the ads . Nothing terribly embarrassing but a creepy feeling nevertheless and a loss of privacy.

Ultimately though it is a trade-off , Google provides great products for free and you agree to your web experience being "tailored". If you don't want the ads/tailoring - don't use the products . Not sure that opting out of tailored ads within your Google account is enough - cookies will still end up giving you a tailored experience

• Registered Users Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭T-Bird

Patww79 wrote: »
    I'm more than happy for it to read everything. I'm not up to anything that I need to hide and if the ads I get are stuff I'd be interested in, then all the better. I'm all in, location trackers and all.

That's cool and there is no problem with that. I'm not arguing against it. At the end of the day we are only a statistic being added and profiled. I said in a previous post I fully embrace the latest technology. I think it's great what all these gadgets can do and I'm a sucker for them and have the latest phone and watch and think it's fantastic what they are all doing.

It's the world we live in today and that's the price we have to pay off we want to be in it and to continue with the upgrades etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

..Wait till the ads on billboards change as you walk past them..... To match your browsing history.

Basil3 wrote: »
    What do you mean by 'OK to use'? Anything older than Lollipop might give you issues with app compatibility, but other than that you're fine using older versions.

Have you ever heard of a security issue crippling older Android devices? Do you realise only a tiny tiny percentage of all Android devices would be on the latest security patches?..................

By OK to use I was really thinking of security- I agree that devices will of course continue to function as normal for a considerable time e.g I have an Xperia J which still operates as a functional phone.

It is without doubt the case that the majority of android devices are not on the latest version but is not this one of the oft-quoted problems with Android fragmentation. Unless of course you are saying that security updates are really not all that important ?

The main security issue you want to avoid is your details being hacked, your google accounts and then ultimately your bank details.

If you don't think that's an issue then you don't really need the security updates.

By OK to use I was really thinking of security- I agree that devices will of course continue to function as normal for a considerable time e.g I have an Xperia J which still operates as a functional phone.

It is without doubt the case that the majority of android devices are not on the latest version but is not this one of the oft-quoted problems with Android fragmentation. Unless of course you are saying that security updates are really not all that important ?

Yes, I'm saying it's not all that important.

beauf wrote: »
    The main security issue you want to avoid is your details being hacked, your google accounts and then ultimately your bank details.

If you don't think that's an issue then you don't really need the security updates.

I wonder when people's details have been hacked due to not being on the latest security patches? I'm not saying security updates aren't important, but the reality is almost two-thirds of android users are on a version older than marshmallow.

Wheres the fun in that...

T-Bird wrote: »
    Yes you are correct regarding the smart advertising I was admittedly a bit tongue in cheek about that one.

But I still stick to my argument re the upgrades. The new technology is more and more being used to track everything you do. This is all for marketing reasons. And is also a reason why most of these companies inform you that they have changed their ts & cs.

With today's technology you are being tracked, all gmails are being read as well as anything on their cloud drives. It's a program that's reading the info so the info is not going anywhere. But they are using that info to then send you information that may be relevant to you.

Essentially Google are giving the software away for free I their phones and I guess this is why so many manufacturers are using it. But they are getting valuable information from it themselves. They started out as a search engine but have now evolved into so much more. Advertising has evolved so much in such a short time and it is through their platform where a vast majority of the information will come from.

Now adding your CC to the mix.

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/05/24/google_closing_the_loop_comingling/

• Advertisement

Advertisement