Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is your favourite Airport?

Options
  • 03-05-2017 7:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭

In the world, that is.
    I have to say Singapore hands down for convenience, efficiency, and facilities.

Other mentions would be BKK (I just like the design). HKG. MUC was good too.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,162 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Cringe as this sounds I've always felt an excitement flying through Dublin, mainly for nostalgic reasons.
    I love traveling to/from Heathrow, so many variety of aircraft and from all corners of the globe, it truly fascinates me, plus I love T5 and T2!
    But my favourite is probably Knock as catching a flight there means home time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Dublin - it's a sh1thole, but it means I'm home!

Aside from that, Copenhagen and Oslo, would rank highly. And Westray......anywhere where the guy who checks you in is also part of the fire crew (when he's not running the post office) is fine with me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,141 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

There is nice character and ease to Shannon airport, but sizeable too, just clean up the baggage collection area and it'd be great.

Cork airport is nice too, efficient, not too big but not tiny either.

Dublin is grand, although the security can be a nightmare and passport control can be annoying if you've public transport to catch.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,864 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

I've always liked Gatwick. I've only flown from the South Terminal with EI and FR, but its always held memories of good trips and rampages.

Plus, over the years I've worked out every back way out of the terminal that I think there is... I'm not sure if the staff know them all! Onto the Sussex Border Path and into the lakeside park.... down onto the public footpath trails and all the way down to the Beehive terminal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭lufties

JCX BXC wrote: »
    There is nice character and ease to Shannon airport, but sizeable too, just clean up the baggage collection area and it'd be great.

Cork airport is nice too, efficient, not too big but not tiny either.

Dublin is grand, although the security can be a nightmare and passport control can be annoying if you've public transport to catch.

Shannon is nice and handy true enough, that feeling of being home.

When I lived in hong Kong I had a HK resident ID, coming and going through passport control was super easy, never stuck in queues.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭RunRoryRun

Heathrow purely for The Perfectionist Cafe duck topped burger. Rarely find better airport food and takes the sting out of day trips.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭Brego888

search?q=Donegal+Airport&client=ms-android-oneplus&prmd=imnv&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiNosKHx9TTAhVlJ8AKHYthAm8Q_AUICSgB&biw=360&bih=560#imgrc=0dfpIZ4kNuGRMM:

Donegal Airport. Stunning.

RunRoryRun wrote: »
    Heathrow purely for The Perfectionist Cafe duck topped burger. Rarely find better airport food and takes the sting out of day trips.....

Is that in T2?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭cml387

Shannon. No doubt about it.
    Arrive, go down stairs, cross road, get in car, go home.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,162 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

I've always liked Gatwick. I've only flown from the South Terminal with EI and FR, but its always held memories of good trips and rampages.

Plus, over the years I've worked out every back way out of the terminal that I think there is... I'm not sure if the staff know them all! Onto the Sussex Border Path and into the lakeside park.... down onto the public footpath trails and all the way down to the Beehive terminal.

I'd be very familiar with LGW, and I dont think I know half of those exits you mention!!! I have noticed there are a ridiculous amount of secret stairways and exits from the south terminal!

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭RunRoryRun

lufties wrote:
    Is that in T2?

It is - just beside Yo Sushi upstairs near the Aer Lingus lounge....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

I like LHR

Oslo airport was cool too.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭NutmegGirl

Denver airport is good, newish, easy to get around, quite good selection of shops and restaurants
    Duty free bad but that seems to be same in most US airports
    Only one international flight landing so you speed through immigration and they're vaguely pleasant which is unusual for US
    And the toilets double up as tornado shelters which I was v amused by the first time I saw it

RunRoryRun wrote: »
    lufties wrote:
    Is that in T2?

It is - just beside Yo Sushi upstairs near the Aer Lingus lounge....

I used to eat in yo sushi when flying from lhr, quick and easy albeit a bit of a rip off.

cml387 wrote: »
    Shannon. No doubt about it.
    Arrive, go down stairs, cross road, get in car, go home.

The flight frequency is a disaster though, Ryanair to lgw return is consistently up around the 400 euro. Then there's fra once a week. Its better than nothing but jeez it could be much better. Its kinda got a weird downtrodden vibe around there, I can't put my finger on it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Terminal 2 ain't all that bad to be fair. Once they sort out the lack of male toilets!

San Jose airport in the US is nice too. Never too manic.

I know it's quite different now but back in the day when Aer Lingus flew to it and it wasn't as busy an airport, London City airport was lovely.

A +1 to Dulles too. Definitely the best of the large US hubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Koh Samui Intl. Hands down. Open plan, palm trees, and a girl comes around with free iced pineapple juice if your flight is delayed.

Samui-Airport_1366w.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Verona because it had some pretty good offers on booze in the duty free. I think I got 4 bottles of spirits for 50 there cant remember the exact price but very good value.

faceman wrote: »
    Terminal 2 ain't all that bad to be fair. Once they sort out the lack of male toilets!

San Jose airport in the US is nice too. Never too manic.

I know it's quite different now but back in the day when Aer Lingus flew to it and it wasn't as busy an airport, London City airport was lovely.

A +1 to Dulles too. Definitely the best of the large US hubs.

A mate of mine works there, always posting amazing overviews on Instagram.

• Advertisement

endacl wrote: »
    Koh Samui Intl. Hands down. Open plan, palm trees, and a girl comes around with free iced pineapple juice if your flight is delayed.

Samui-Airport_1366w.jpg

I was gonna give it a mention, pity the island itself is such a let down. Flew into coolangatta in oz years ago, a surf beach right across the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭Buckmickley

endacl wrote: »

Yeah it's lovely,I was just going to post it only I saw yours
    Koa on the big island Hawaii is similar
    Simple,open air with a thatched roof,30c breeze blowing in all the time

• Registered Users Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Looking at my log10 software shows that i have flown/operated into 73 airports in the last number of years, and that doesn't include the ones that i used for personal travel. So at this stage I hate them all :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

I'd say DUB T2, decent food options, airy & spacey, clean, etc.

SIN is incredible, there's so much to do and such a massive hub. Butterfly garden, cinema, great range of shops and restaurants. New T2 in LHR is great too, have had a few long-ish layovers there.

Was down under and very impressed with MEL and CHC, but they were on a holiday in between hundreds of business trips, so that might have helped :)

Always found US airports to be very similar - BOS, JFK, EWR, SFO, ORD - all just long wings of Hudson News stores where a bag of M&Ms are $8.

Absolutely despise AUH. Cramped, busy, serious lack of toilets.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭beechwood55

Nice airport. Stunning views.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Probably Heathrow for the sheer scale (I'm aware there are much larger airports), but the variety of aircraft you see at Heathrow is stunning.

Vilnius is also a lovely little airport, the building is fantastic, and a real throwback to the Soviet era.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

LHR and Cork for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Coil Kilcrea

Singapore hands down for me, where to my mind they designed it for people not airplanes. Fast, spotless, easy to navigate and very well designed.

San Diego and Austin in the US, though they've done a very good job on the international terminal in Atlanta.

T5 has always worked well for me.
    T2 Dublin can be a bit soulless and T1 constantly improving so I can't complain.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Donegal, nice relaxed atmosphere, great scenery and I can show up 20 minutes before departure and still board without breaking sweat :D

Large airport, probably Singapore with mentions to BKK and Ho Chi Minh. Denpasar in Bali is also interesting, similar to how someone described Koh Samui where it's open to outside

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

DUB has improved lots over the years. Always very happy to fly home into DUB. Great views as you land also.

I spend a lot of time in AMS and the renovations have been really good there.

New portion of IAD is very smart

Advertisement