Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gluten free fad.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭irish_stevo815

This whole Gluten Free thing must be some kind of fashion statement, it's ridiculous. I work in a hotel and regularly get people looking for Gluten free sandwiches and such. That's grand, but when I explain that the chips that accompany the sandwich are cooked with non gluten free products, I often get the response of "That's fine, I'll eat them anyway".....it just baffles me sometimes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭learn_more

My elderly mum went gluten free and she lost a significant amount of weight and looking much better for it. I don't know why she decided to go gluten free, she wasn't diagnosed as gluten intolerant afaia. A few years previous she was given a strict healthy diet by her doc following a galstones op and lost weight but lost much more by just going gluten free. The only problem I see is that I understand that the gluten free food you get in supermarkets isn't very healthy in itself and it's much better to make your own or pay through the nose for it in health food stores. She does make her own guten free bread from time to time though. I don't think my mum is ever going to become a nutritional nazi at her age but I think this one simple adjustment has benefited her general health quite a bit so I wouldn't be too quick to knock it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭Mr.Wemmick

This whole Gluten Free thing must be some kind of fashion statement, it's ridiculous. I work in a hotel and regularly get people looking for Gluten free sandwiches and such. That's grand, but when I explain that the chips that accompany the sandwich are cooked with non gluten free products, I often get the response of "That's fine, I'll eat them anyway".....it just baffles me sometimes

Because some people can have a little gluten once in a while in small quantities without feeling sick, while others can not. I know a semi pro cyclist who was told by his doctor that a measured amount of gluten 1 x week is okay and he hasn't had any problems since. I don't have an allowance of gluten as the way I see it if I accidentally, once in a while, eat gluten by cross contamination, I'll be okay.

I suppose you could compare it to a nut allergy: some have severe allergies and could go into shock and die, while others would just get tummy sick if they ate nuts. Allergies effects are not repeated in exactly the same way for everyone

learn_more wrote: »
    My elderly mum went gluten free and she lost a significant amount of weight and looking much better for it. I don't know why she decided to go gluten free, she wasn't diagnosed as gluten intolerant afaia. A few years previous she was given a strict healthy diet by her doc following a galstones op and lost weight but lost much more by just going gluten free. The only problem I see is that I understand that the gluten free food you get in supermarkets isn't very healthy in itself and it's much better to make your own or pay through the nose for it in health food stores. She does make her own guten free bread from time to time though. I don't think my mum is ever going to become a nutritional nazi at her age but I think this one simple adjustment has benefited her general health quite a bit so I wouldn't be too quick to knock it.

Bingo, there you have it. No diagnosis, it was linked to weight loss and looking better. Which is, fundamentally the reason behind the fad. It's not about health, it's using a claimed condition to hide a version of the Atkins Diet.

Incidentally, she should follow her doc, and not necessarily equate losing weight and losing more weight with healthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Mr.Wemmick wrote: »
    When you are coeliac and can not eat gluten at all, it is bloody painful to listen to the disbelief and watch the rolled eyes. It's also dangerous in that the disregard can spread and affect people working in cafes/restaurants, and when they flippantly tell you: yep, no worries, it's gluten free when in fact it isn't, and you find out a few hours later when you feel so sick you can't move.

The GF food fad doesn't bother me, but the people who constantly moan and disregard the GF food fad do.

We usually have to ask several times if the food is gluten free in restaurants/hotels as our daughter is ultra sensitive and will be violently ill if she has anything containing gluten (even a small
    amount). We always tell them she's coeliac and it's not a gimmick thing and that our other daughter can have food containing gluten. Thankfully we have only had one mishap when eating out where she got something which either contained gluten or it had become cross contaminated (we will know within an hour as she becomes very flushed and red in her face and then will vomit within another hour or two)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

I am Coeliac. I was very ill 20 years ago and losing a lot of weight, I was iron/nutrient deficient and lacked the energy to stand up. The GP sent me to the hospital for tests. I was tested for everything and my condition totally puzzled the medical staff. Thankfully after having seen several different doctors I finally was sent to one brilliant doctor who tested me for Coeliac disease and discovered that's what I was suffering from. I had never heard of Coeliac disease before and was in shock, how was I going to manage such a diet. At that time there was nothing in the supermarkets and I had to order my food/cereal/flour etc., from the chemist. After a few months on the diet I gained weight and my energy levels improved. I have had so many cameras down my throat over the years, it really is not funny at all. I am so thankful there is so much GF food available now as it makes me feel almost normal. I would hate to be a chef trying to keep up with different diets. A couple of my friends decided to go gluten-free though they are not Coeliac. After a couple of months trying to keep gluten-free, they had to give up because it is such a tricky diet and you have to keep up to date regarding what is GF and what is no longer GF, it changes continually depending on the ingredients or the process the food goes through in the factory, i.e. cross-contamination. It is a minefield and Coeliacs have to be on their guard all the time. What makes me angry is when restaurant staff cast their eyes to heaven when I ask for gluten free. I swear I will swing for the next one that does it to me. Some may be on a faddy diet but the rest of us, the Coeliacs, are in danger of being extremely ill if we eat gluten, it actually causes damage to the gut and the searing pain from that is not something faddies know anything about. So I just ask that we be respected.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Bingo, there you have it. No diagnosis, it was linked to weight loss and looking better. Which is, fundamentally the reason behind the fad. It's not about health, it's using a claimed condition to hide a version of the Atkins Diet.

Incidentally, she should follow her doc, and not necessarily equate losing weight and losing more weight with healthy.

I wasn't in any way advocating a gluten free diet over a healthy diet as a means to losing weight , I just though I would provide some anecdotal evidence where it worked to improve the health of a person who found it very difficulty to change the habits of a lifetime by making one more or less simple adjustment.

I totally agree with your advice re doctors orders but on a pragmatic level she did loose a lot of weight as a result of going gluten free and I think that's a good thing.

When I seen my mums weight go out of control about 15 years ago I gave her so much advice, stop frying with vegetable oil, lay off the scones and jam, give up the disgusting apple pies she buys for 2 euro in Dunnes, loaded with sugar. It all went in one ear and out the other.

She's 81 now, I think anything she can do, that is easy to do, like gluten free, she should go for it. She is never ever going to follow long term the diet her doc gave her. It's totally alien to her. She lasted 6 months on it before going back to her old habits before going on the gluten free.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,805 ✭✭✭Calibos

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    What makes me angry is when restaurant staff cast their eyes to heaven when I ask for gluten free. I swear I will swing for the next one that does it to me. Some may be on a faddy diet but the rest of us, the Coeliacs, are in danger of being extremely ill if we eat gluten, it actually causes damage to the gut and the searing pain from that is not something faddies know anything about. So I just ask that we be respected.

How about you see it from the staffs side and kill two birds with one stone and open with, "Hi I'm an actual genuine Celiac and not one of those Gluten Free Fadist gob****es. Can I order the Gluten Free XXX and could you please inform the chef that the order is for a genuine celiac and not a gob****e to ensure he doesn't take any shortcuts."

Gets the wait staff onside with you by making fun of your common 'enemy' before they make any faces and also ensures Chef knows that he/she is preparing food for a genuine celiac.

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    What makes me angry is when restaurant staff cast their eyes to heaven when I ask for gluten free. I swear I will swing for the next one that does it to me. Some may be on a faddy diet but the rest of us, the Coeliacs, are in danger of being extremely ill if we eat gluten, it actually causes damage to the gut and the searing pain from that is not something faddies know anything about. So I just ask that we be respected.

Most dishes in restaurants are pre-prepared. It would be a logistical nightmare to have a gluten free version of every meal. It would also be completely random as to when a customer would order a gluten free version. You see the problem - it would cost a lot just to cater for a tiny proportion of customers.

Having worked in restaurants for years I would sack anyone who threw their eyes up to heaven due to any kind of customer request. Your not talking about star graded restaurants here , are you?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

I wasn't in any way advocating a gluten free diet over a healthy diet as a means to losing weight , I just though I would provide some anecdotal evidence where it worked to improve the health of a person who found it very difficulty to change the habits of a lifetime by making one more or less simple adjustment.

I totally agree with your advice re doctors orders but on a pragmatic level she did loose a lot of weight as a result of going gluten free and I think that's a good thing.

When I seen my mums weight go out of control about 15 years ago I gave her so much advice, stop frying with vegetable oil, lay off the scones and jam, give up the disgusting apple pies she buys for 2 euro in Dunnes, loaded with sugar. It all went in one ear and out the other.

She's 81 now, I think anything she can do, that is easy to do, like gluten free, she should go for it. She is never ever going to follow long term the diet her doc gave her. It's totally alien to her. She lasted 6 months on it before going back to her old habits before going on the gluten free.

I'm glad to hear your mum is healthy and well, but I'd be cautious about concluding that it was the gluten that was her actual problem. Its sounds more like by living by (what is for her) an essentially arbitrary rule she's coincidentally eliminated an awful lot of convenience and snack foods that she'd otherwise have bought - you could just has easily say 'giving up all food with red on the packaging is so much healthier' and probably end up with much the same result.

My cousin was fairly recently diagnosed with coeliac after years of chronic pain and fatigue and she'd agree with the current gluten-free fad being a double-edged sword; on the one hand there are so many more products available, but on the other hand she's nearly been 'poisoned' in restaurants more than once because they don't know that there is a major difference between actual coeliacs and those who are fashionably gluten-free.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,099 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Your not talking about star graded restaurants here , are you?

The MIL, who is a coeliac, was in a Michelin star restaurant last year. She had her worst episode in the 15 years since being diagnosed. Absolutely floored for the night, literally. She couldn't get off the ground between the cramps and vomiting.

Some genius rolled her gluten free gnocchi in real flour (according to the head chief the next day).

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

That's what she said.

....to the prime Irish beef :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

I get the annoyance value of "these people are jumping on the bandwagon", but I don't quite understand the "you will die of it or else it's absolutely fine for you, so shut up already" approach.

There are various food intolerances in my family, some coming out worse in individual members than others (nope, my family has never been faddy, I'm afraid there's very real consequences of certain foodstuffs for some people). I got pretty lucky overall, but after years of general discomfort, cramps, stomach issues and all the rest of it, I cut out wheat, since it worked to some extent for two other family members and it's made a significant improvement. The concept of eating without pain and discomfort afterwards is, honestly, amazing. If it's normal to you to feel discomfort after eating, well, it's normal, it's just one of those things. To be suddenly absent of it is unusual and liberating.

I'm not coeliac, I won't end up in hospital if I eat wheat/gluten (I'm not 100% sure which it is, but it seems to be more wheat for me), but same as I will be in significant discomfort if I drink milk (and apparently spent my first year or so of life screaming due to it!), I will be if I eat it which frankly matters more to me than what some people might think of my "faddiness"! I buy gluten-free products and help to raise the demand for them that means that more products are available for those who must not eat it for fear of permanent damage to their guts. (I agree on gluten-free pizzas, btw, could use them for discus-throwing.)

I assume there are people who make a huge deal of it in every restaurant they are in and are generally annoying about it, but having a go at anyone who finds themselves better off without it is a tad counter-productive. Anyone remember trying to avoid gluten even six or seven years ago? Difficult, expensive and made for fairly boring meals. Now it's easier, cheaper and there's more variety. How is that a bad thing for people with coeliac disease?

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Jrop

Samaris . GF Fad lessens the seriousness of Coeliac disease. Coeliac disease is an auto immune disease which you can't switch on and off. I'm coeliac and I have lost count of the number of days and nights I have been in pain with severe diarrohea, sweating and in a lot of pain because I have accidentally eaten gluten.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 889 ✭✭✭Murrisk

Doctors are not dieticians. A lot of them still advocate following the food pyramid, FFS

Some people develop Coeliac disease later in life, but have often tested negative in earlier tests rising to confusion as to why certain gluten products make them feel bloated along with a general sense of feeling unwell. The chances are those people are just under that threshold and will in fact develop it later. A nutritionist once said that our problem can stem from wheat for breakfast, lunch and dinner.. years and years of depending on wheat/gluten alone in our diets can have an impact over time and people who are not yet intolerant should eat different whole food types and vary the diet so as to give our bodies the balance it needs.

Funny, a UK doctor told me coeliac disease is prevalent/ very common in Irish people. If so, and this is true, then why is the general public here in Ireland so ignorant about gluten intolerance and see it as a fad all the time :confused:

We are not ignorant about nut allergies.. or diary intolerances. If someone tells you they are allergic to eggs, it's just accepted, no question. I find it very odd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 889 ✭✭✭Murrisk

Yeah, allergies can and do intensify over time.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭twill

Some recent research on non-coeliac wheat intolerance. "The findings suggest that these individuals have a weakened intestinal barrier, which leads to a body-wide inflammatory immune response."

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

Jrop wrote: »
    Samaris . GF Fad lessens the seriousness of Coeliac disease. Coeliac disease is an auto immune disease which you can't switch on and off. I'm coeliac and I have lost count of the number of days and nights I have been in pain with severe diarrohea, sweating and in a lot of pain because I have accidentally eaten gluten.

Okay, there's an issue with people not taking "please make sure this is not made with gluten" seriously, I grant that one. Worked somewhere where I'd get that request from time to time and you can be damn sure I took it seriously! But same as with peanuts, that is absolutely the responsibility of the place you're in to take such requests seriously before they make someone seriously ill. It took some time to drill into popular conciousness that peanuts can kill some people. And still some parents object to their little darlings not having a peanut kitkat for break-time in school because of some mere possibility that it might seriously harm or even kill one of their schoolmates.

My situation is not nearly so serious as yours, I'll absolutely admit that ofc! I'm well aware that gluten for coeliac-sufferers will cause permanent damage over time. But I do have a mild issue with people who mock anyone who isn't coeliac not eating wheat or gluten. Even we fadlites may be doing it because we don't like suffering lethargy, cramps, mood-swings, sickness, diarrhoea, constipation and a constant feeling of nrghle after eating. It's nice to be able to enjoy food, and I never particularly have before.

Sometimes there is a sliding scale between "silly fad" and "permanent damage to intestines", and those on said scale should be able to choose how they cope with it, even if it means going gluten-free. Believe me, I wouldn't have if it wasn't helping. It's still an expensive and awkward business, for all it's improved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Arbie

There is a spectrum of sensitivity/intolerance to certain foods, including to wheat/gluten. Even if someone has tested negative for coeliac disease, they may have had a false negative result or they may have another similar condition. If someone feels sick after eating gluten-containing food then it's reasonable for them to want to avoid gluten. Any major dietary change like that should be done under guidance of a GP/dietitian.

If people are doing it for mild symptoms and are only halfheartedly dipping in and out of the gluten free menu then it does undermine people who genuinely need a gluten free diet.

The thing that irks me is "nutritionists" advising people to avoid gluten for weight loss. The only reason it would help you lose weight is you'd be avoiding high calorie foods like bread, pasta, cakes, etc. and not because of the absence of gluten. I was in a restaurant recently and the menu claimed that their gluten-free ice cream was perfect for anyone trying to lose weight... Bizarre.

Many people claim that gluten is unhealthy for everyone and that we would all be better off avoiding it. That is incorrect and irresponsible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭mickrock

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

So have you fallen for this wallet emptying guff and if you are a diagnosed Celiac how do you view this "health" fad.

I know a few coeliacs and they are delighted that gluten free products are more easily available (Tesco and Supervalu have excellent "free from" sections) and have gone down in price and restaurants and the like are more aware of coeliac disease.
    One of my friends has been coeliac her whole life and she is now in her forties, she had a tough time in her childhood as gluten free products weren't available and restaurants didn't really know that much about it and as for going to birthday parties, it just didn't happen, her parents couldn't risk it.
    Mr.Wemmick wrote: »
    We are not ignorant about nut allergies.. or diary intolerances. If someone tells you they are allergic to eggs, it's just accepted, no question. I find it very odd.

I've been allergic to eggs my whole life and trust me, it's not just accepted. I have people, including restaurant staff, asking me "are you sure?" as they've "never heard of that before".
    I think with all allergies, most people seem to think the allergy can't be that bad, especially if they've never heard of it.

/

I have a number of food allergies and I have had a serious amount of hassle in restaurants down through the years, including an allergic reaction after eating something I was told was free of one of the things I'm allergic to.

erica74 wrote: »
    I've been allergic to eggs my whole life and trust me, it's not just accepted. I have people, including restaurant staff, asking me "are you sure?" as they've "never heard of that before".
    I think with all allergies, most people seem to think the allergy can't be that bad, especially if they've never heard of it.

/

I have a number of food allergies and I have had a serious amount of hassle in restaurants down through the years, including an allergic reaction after eating something I was told was free of one of the things I'm allergic to.

Okay, so now it is just safe to assume people are just thick.. as well as incapable of listening.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,561 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I don't think the GF 'fad' makes anyone in the food business take coeliac disease less seriously. I've seen friends and family deal with the "oh yeah, that's completely gluten free" and wind up spending a couple of days off work dealing with the repercussions of "definitely no gluten" for years. Some places didn't and still don't give a sh*t.

Most of the people I know who have to deal with it are (a) glad that there's more variety these days and (b) more places are less likely to take a chance with anything that's labelled as gluten free.

So while a lot more people think they have to avoid gluten, it's probably done more good than bad in the overall scheme of things. I don't really know why it bothers a lot of people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Calibos wrote: »
    How about you see it from the staffs side and kill two birds with one stone and open with, "Hi I'm an actual genuine Celiac and not one of those Gluten Free Fadist gob****es. Can I order the Gluten Free XXX and could you please inform the chef that the order is for a genuine celiac and not a gob****e to ensure he doesn't take any shortcuts."

Gets the wait staff onside with you by making fun of your common 'enemy' before they make any faces and also ensures Chef knows that he/she is preparing food for a genuine celiac.

You are saying that I should inform the staff that I AM actually Coeliac. OK, I take your point and will do that in future. Also, perhaps those customers avoiding gluten but who are not Coeliac, should also inform the staff that they are NOT Coeliac! Regarding seeing it from the staff's point of view....if you read my post again you will see that I said 'I would hate to be a chef trying to keep up with different diets'. So I do see it from the chef's point of view, but not the servers, or waiting staff who cast their eyes to heaven. Its not their job to prepare the food, just to advise me what is gluten free and from that information I can make an informed choice. I am always polite to the staff.
    Most dishes in restaurants are pre-prepared. It would be a logistical nightmare to have a gluten free version of every meal. It would also be completely random as to when a customer would order a gluten free version. You see the problem - it would cost a lot just to cater for a tiny proportion of customers.

Having worked in restaurants for years I would sack anyone who threw their eyes up to heaven due to any kind of customer request. Your not talking about star graded restaurants here , are you?

I have never asked for or expected a gluten free version of every meal. I just ask what gluten free options are available, and then I make my choice. I am talking about restaurants that have notices on their walls telling me that their menu is 'award winning' and stars don't really mean much to me as I don't know who awards the stars or why.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Jack the Stripper

They will still gorge in a kebab on a Saturday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,017 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Four pages in and so far none of the gluten intolerant posters have reported a post for making their tummy's all bloaty and icky.

Four pages in and so far none of the gluten intolerant posters have reported a post for making their tummy's all bloaty and icky.

Your own tummy must be in bad way to write that sh!te.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

I quite like the fact that free from ranges have increased in supermarkets as it is making it easier for people with genuine intolerance/coeliac get products that used to have to be ordered in. It also means there is a bit more thought going into making them taste nice.

My dad's friend is a coeliac & I remember him coming over & the effort it was for my mam to find things like bread or the like that he could have.

Also people dismiss intolerance a bit too quickly. I have a lactose intolerance (properly diagnosed by a doctor) & I can handle a small amount of dairy contained in things. It's taken a long time to figure out to what extent but I know I can't have pure milk or cream but if something is made with a little bit of butter, then I'll probably be ok. And in fact for a lot of intolerance, the advice from a medically trained dietitian I got was that completely eliminating the item from your diet can led to a higher level of intolerance as if you accidentally ingest some of it, your body won't have any idea how to deal with it. You should try to keep a small level in your diet but only an amount that won't cause problems. And obviously none if it's a full on allergy as opposed to an intolerance.

So next time you think someone is just following a fad coz they can handle a little bit of gluten in their diet, maybe remember that they may have an intolerance and probably know their body better than you.

Advertisement