Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BBQ what fuel do you use???

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Kamado ceramic grill with pure lump charcoal.
    Anything else is just for amateurs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,774 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

Gas BBQ's are created from the devil's farts.

You know natural gas is odourless, right?

The smell is added as a safety feature.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

The devils farts are obviously odorless, You can be sucking in his poo particles all day and not even know it until you get horribly sick. That's just the kind of bollox the devil is. i

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

A few ould shtickeens laying around or a broken up pallet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 505 ✭✭✭Koptain Liverpool

It's not, it's grilling.

Typically what Irish people term BBQ is actually grilling. Regardless of charcoal or gas. I got schooled on that when i moved to the US.
    BBQ is cooking slabs of meat at a low temperature for hours.
    Grilling is throwing a steak or burgers over hot coals or gas and cooking quickly.

On topic, I like to use apple or peach wood when BBQing.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Go and live in the US so.:p

In Ireland BBQ is cooking meat on a BBQ outside.

Grilling is when you cook things under the grill in the oven.

Look at what Americans term a 'grilled cheese sandwich'.
    It's a fried cheese sandwich ffs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

"Created FROM the devil's farts"
    It's a form of fractional distillation. I won't bore you with the details.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 889 ✭✭✭Murrisk

Gas, I wouldn't even consider buying a charcoal BBQ. You might find the time and muster up the effort to use it once a summer. Whereas with gas it's a year round if you wish (especially if you set it up under some cover) and can easily be done multiple times a week in good weather and on a whim with basically no effort.

The food also tastes delicious and no comparison to grilling in a oven like a few charcoal snobs are trying to claim.

Charcoal snobs. FFS.

Charcoal BBQ tastes much better. Fair enough you like the handiness of the gas BBQ but it's at the expense of flavour. Who would want year-round gas-cooked BBQ food? It's a summer thing and is supposed to be a leisurely activity.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

"Created FROM the devil's farts"
    It's a form of fractional distillation. I won't bore you with the details.

You're a gas man.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

5134qSZdk0L.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭él statutorio

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Go and live in the US so.:p

In Ireland BBQ is cooking meat on a BBQ outside.

Grilling is when you cook things under the grill in the oven.

Look at what Americans term a 'grilled cheese sandwich'.
    It's a fried cheese sandwich ffs.

I do live in the US....

What we call grilling, Americans call broiling.

Not sure where you've been getting grilled cheese sambos but any ones I've had here are just like a cheese toastie (but not as good as the cheese here is ****e).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Guill

Pkiernan wrote: »
    Kamado ceramic grill with pure lump charcoal.
    Anything else is just for amateurs.

Is it a Green Egg you use or something similar? I am in the market at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,571 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

I suppose it should come as no surprise really that barbecueing has its version of beer or coffee hipsters/snobs.

osarusan wrote: »
    I suppose it should come as no surprise really that barbecueing has its version of beer or coffee hipsters/snobs.

I take it you're a Budweiser and Maxwell House type of guy?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,162 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Charcoal in a kettle grill. Will be investing in a proper barrell BBQ at some stage but suspect it'll be a case of waiting for Lidl / Aldi to have them in on special!

Sleepy wrote: »
    Charcoal in a kettle grill. Will be investing in a proper barrell BBQ at some stage but suspect it'll be a case of waiting for Lidl / Aldi to have them in on special!

I picked up one of these the other day. Couldn't resist at that price.

https://www.homestoreandmore.ie/barbeques/mastercook-bbq-smoker/invt/069904

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭MrMorooka

Calibos wrote: »
    Recipe for a perfect BBQ Burger.

Jesus. I'll just order some takeaway, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

I use a gas bbq with lava rocks.is this ok or some sort of black magic against bbq code of etiquette?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,774 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

I use a gas bbq with lava rocks.is this ok or some sort of black magic against bbq code of etiquette?

Probably depends which side your family ended up on after the gas barbecue reformation.

Personally I think if you didn't start the fire with flint your a new age hipster and is everything wrong with the world of bbqing

• Registered Users Posts: 7,805 ✭✭✭Calibos

MrMorooka wrote: »
    Jesus. I'll just order some takeaway, thanks.

Ironically that wall of text was describing how to make a simple burger and BBQ from lighting the BBQ, preparation of burger and dressings and cooking of burgers to sitting down to eat in about 35minutes...in total. That you dont need to do all that mince your own Artisan butcher mince and 101 seasonings malarkey thats likely to put people off making their own burgers and settling for some big Als.

...and thats still too much work for you? Enjoy your Big Als so. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,162 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I picked up one of these the other day. Couldn't resist at that price.

https://www.homestoreandmore.ie/barbeques/mastercook-bbq-smoker/invt/069904
    How's the quality IRL? It looks a bit on the flimsy side in the pics?

• Advertisement

Murrisk wrote: »
    Charcoal snobs. FFS.

Charcoal BBQ tastes much better. Fair enough you like the handiness of the gas BBQ but it's at the expense of flavour. Who would want year-round gas-cooked BBQ food? It's a summer thing and is supposed to be a leisurely activity.

Plenty of people I know fire up the BBQ to do a steak or burgers all year round on top of BBQing all summer regardless of weather. One person I know has a permenant BBQ area with a roof so that he can use it hail, rain or shine (something I plan to have in my own house too in future).

It's a leisurely activity but it's also a very nice way to cook food and with the ease of firing up a gas BBQ you can have that all year round.

Sleepy wrote: »
    How's the quality IRL? It looks a bit on the flimsy side in the pics?

Seems fine to me, I certainly wouldn't call it flimsy.
    I assembled it in the house and getting it out the back door and into the shed wasn't easy due to the weight of it.

I seen it in the shop last week and was really tempted at the original price of €260.
    I'll be using it for the first time on Sunday.

Plenty of people I know fire up the BBQ to do a steak or burgers all year round on top of BBQing all summer regardless of weather. One person I know has a permenant BBQ area with a roof so that he can use it hail, rain or shine (something I plan to have in my own house too in future).

It's a leisurely activity but it's also a very nice way to cook food and with the ease of firing up a gas BBQ you can have that all year round.

Why bother? It's just gas-cooked food and the appeal of eating outdoors in anything less than warm weather is lost on me.

Why bother? It's just gas-cooked food and the appeal of eating outdoors in anything less than warm weather is lost on me.

I rarely eat BBQ food outdoors anyway, kitchen table is far handier.

Why bother? Becuse it's BBQ meat which is delicious and in no way comparable to that cooked in a pan, in a grill or an oven.

Why bother? Becuse it's BBQ meat which is delicious and in no way comparable to that cooked in a pan, in a grill or an oven.

You're talking like nobody has eaten food from a gas BBQ. Food from a BBQ does not taste different from using a gas hob, grill, or oven. No different. So, fine, you get convenience but you miss out on the BBQ taste. What's the point?

Not eating BBQ food outdoors? There is nothing better than al fresco dining on a warm day.

So let me get this straight: you use a gas BBQ and eat the BBQ food indoors? Why do you bother with a BBQ at all when you've removed all the elements that make having one great?

You're talking like nobody has eaten food from a gas BBQ. Food from a BBQ does not taste different from using a gas hob, grill, or oven. No different. So, fine, you get convenience but you miss out on the BBQ taste. What's the point?

Not eating BBQ food outdoors? There is nothing better than al fresco dining on a warm day.

So let me get this straight: you use a gas BBQ and eat the BBQ food indoors? Why do you bother with a BBQ at all when you've removed all the elements that make having one great?

Well I completely disagree as would the vast majority of people I reckon (certainly everyone I know who has gas BBQs, which is everyone I know bar one person). There is no comparison between cooking food on a gas BBQ and cooking it with a Cooker. It's a totally different flavour, it's just lies and nothing more claiming it's the same.

As for eating outside, yes I do sometimes and I really enjoy it but other times I don't do it due needing a proper sized table, weather not great, I usually eat late so it's cold even on a nice day etc.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 229 ✭✭Sosurface

Pfft. Cooking on a gas "Bbq" is just using the cooker outside. In effect n*cker cooking. Ye're only codding yerselves thinking thats what bbq tastes like.

Calibos wrote: »
    Ironically that wall of text was describing how to make a simple burger and BBQ from lighting the BBQ, preparation of burger and dressings and cooking of burgers to sitting down to eat in about 35minutes...in total. That you dont need to do all that mince your own Artisan butcher mince and 101 seasonings malarkey thats likely to put people off making their own burgers and settling for some big Als.

...and thats still too much work for you? Enjoy your Big Als so. :D

Big Als? Making burgers is fantastically easy. Just because people don't want to read a wall of text doesn't mean they don't make their own burgers.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,057 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

One of my best purchases was an electric BARBQ starter, kinda like a kettle element, place it under the coals and away it goes, beautiful flames within 10 minutes.
    My favourite is South American style beef, get a slab 3-4 KGS of beef with a lot of fat on it, sear the outside of the slab over the flames, then slice it, cover it in rock salt and cook each slice, the result is amazing.

• Advertisement
Advertisement