Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Now TV

• 03-05-2017 9:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

I realise its only just launched in Ireland but was wondering if anyone knows anything about it? Is it live TV or catch up?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

There's a couple of threads round Boards on it. It offers both live TV and catch up (Sky Box Sets). Think of it as a (very) cut down version of Sky offered over Broadband instead of satellite. You won't find any Irish or U.K. terrestrials on it though, aside from Channel 4's on demand content. Most of the Sky branded channels are there, along with content from Viacom, Discovey, and National Geographic. The Irish service has most of the same content as the UK service, with the obvious exception of ITV Encore and the less obvious exception of all of the kids stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Occono

Sorry to self-promote but there's info in the thread I made here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057731435 Probably would be a lot of repetition.

It's basically a cut-down version of Sky that's online-based and it's contractless just like Netflix. It has the "Boxsets" (catch-up, on-demand shows) and live TV, as well as sports and movie passes. I've been waiting for them to introduce it here for years now and they're charging double the UK price so I guess I will continue waiting forever until they stop that (no PS4 or Chromecast support here like in the UK yet either).

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭newleaf

My experience of Now TV - signed up for 14-day trial, but they only way I can use it as far as I can see is on iPad and PC. For now not suitable for Chromebook/box/bit. When I tried to cast it to screen from iPad it wasn't compatible with airplay. When I tried to play from laptop to TV using HDMI it froze.
    Also won't work on a UK NowTV box I tried (I haven't a UK account).
    Decided to get Irish version of box with one of the Entertainment passes, to try it for longer, but when I tried to buy it online it wouldn't work though I tried with different cards and browsers.
    Teething problems I think! They don't seem to be advertising it widely yet, maybe this is why.
    Customer support hit and miss.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Pyro66

I hope that newleaf is wrong about UK Now TV boxes not working in Ireland because I've just ordered one on eBay. It's due to arrive mid next week. If he is right, I hope that this is something that Now TV / Sky sort out quickly - i.e. just some setting to be changed at the server end. I'll let you know how I get on.

There is a parallel here with the Amazon Fire TV stick and Amazon Prime Video. Last Christmas (2016), I got a present on a Fire TV stick and also an annual Amazon Prime subscription, but when I tried to use them, neither worked properly here in Ireland. The Prime content was being Geo IP blocked. I ended up changing to the trimmed down Primevideo (which does work here and is cheaper than Prime), but only to find that the fire TV stick wouldn't run Primevideo (at least not here).

Around March 2017 (so about three months later), Amazon changed something at their end (or maybe in the Fire TV stick firmware?) and it's worked OK since. It took a few months though. So maybe Now TV / Sky will make a similar change to UK Now TV boxes and allow them to work in Ireland??

Incidentally, the Now TV (non promotional pricing) is a bit of a rip off. For a one day sports pass, it's €10 here vs £7 in the UK. Between the cost and hardware not working, it's no wonder that people become frustrated or feel that they are being taken advantage of and use dodgy boxes!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

Pyro66 wrote: »
    I hope that newleaf is wrong about UK Now TV boxes not working in Ireland because I've just ordered one on eBay. It's due to arrive mid next week. If he is right, I hope that this is something that Now TV / Sky sort out quickly - i.e. just some setting to be changed at the server end. I'll let you know how I get on.

There is a parallel here with the Amazon Fire TV stick and Amazon Prime Video. Last Christmas (2016), I got a present on a Fire TV stick and also an annual Amazon Prime subscription, but when I tried to use them, neither worked properly here in Ireland. The Prime content was being Geo IP blocked. I ended up changing to the trimmed down Primevideo (which does work here and is cheaper than Prime), but only to find that the fire TV stick wouldn't run Primevideo (at least not here).

Around March 2017 (so about three months later), Amazon changed something at their end (or maybe in the Fire TV stick firmware?) and it's worked OK since. It took a few months though. So maybe Now TV / Sky will make a similar change to UK Now TV boxes and allow them to work in Ireland??

Incidentally, the Now TV (non promotional pricing) is a bit of a rip off. For a one day sports pass, it's €10 here vs £7 in the UK. Between the cost and hardware not working, it's no wonder that people become frustrated or feel that they are being taken advantage of and use dodgy boxes!

Set up a UK account. Just needs a UK postal address, pick one at random. Buy passes on eBay, happy days! No vpn currently needed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭In the old days

I don't think it is possible to amend your uk nowtv account anymore with a pass from ebay from an irish IP address. The site now seems to redirect traffic from nowtv.com to nowtv.com/ie with a 'whoops something went wrong banner' in my passes :(

'Whoops something went wrong' - seeing this message too often on the Irish NowTv site ... worryingly it's now happening when I try to cancel my 14-day trial.

'I hope that newleaf is wrong about UK Now TV boxes not working in Ireland because I've just ordered one on eBay. It's due to arrive mid next week. If he is right, I hope that this is something that Now TV / Sky sort out quickly - i.e. just some setting to be changed at the server end. I'll let you know how I get on'

Yesterday tried my UK box again and it did a software update ... nice new interface ... I was hopeful but still couldn't sign in with my Irish account.
    And I still can't buy the Irish box online. Now TV Ireland - Dysfunctional website, can't buy box, can't cancel 14-day trial - 'Whoops something went wrong'... did anyone test this before bringing it to market?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

newleaf wrote: »
    'Whoops something went wrong' - seeing this message too often on the Irish NowTv site ... worryingly it's now happening when I try to cancel my 14-day trial.

I can still get in to my uk account without a vpn. Google now TV help and use the link and it will let you in that way to an existing account.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,214 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Is the now tv uk channel list for the entertainment pass better than what's been launched in Ireland?

I have the option of using mother in law's address in the UK if needed to set up an account.

Will a box sourced in the UK even work using an Irish IP with a UK account?

- https://help.nowtv.com/article/can-i-watch-now-tv-abroad

great

Will an Irish entertainment pass work with a UK purchased box?

i.e when I get this box - can I activate it with an Irish account/pass?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,214 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Pyro66 wrote: »

I just bought one on argos this morning - 4 month kid's pass

thought I was getting a great deal - now possibly looks a dud

lawred2 wrote: »
    I just bought one on argos this morning - 4 month kid's pass

thought I was getting a great deal - now possibly looks a dud

Yeah the Kid's Pass Now TV UK has isn't available in Ireland so I'm not sure that'll work.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,281 ✭✭✭dunworth1

just looking now and i can buy the now tv box on the irish site for €25

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Dave..M

Interestingly if you wander around their help section there is a how to apply voucher section and the price of the Entertainment voucher listed there is 9.99 as opposed the complete gouging 15 quid price they decided to go with. At some stage they obviously decided to go with a more reasonable price but their base tendencies to gouge Paddy got the better of them.

https://help.nowtv.com/ie/article/how-to-apply-or-enter-voucher-code

• Registered Users Posts: 14 CaptainD

Has anybody else experienced this since Thursday? With my uk account and Entertainment pass, the watch live still works perfectly but the catch-up/box sets are now "not available to your region" with the same message as itv encore. Very frustrating after they have taken the months subscription.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 auris12

CaptainD wrote: »
    Has anybody else experienced this since Thursday? With my uk account and Entertainment pass, the watch live still works perfectly but the catch-up/box sets are now "not available to your region" with the same message as itv encore. Very frustrating after they have taken the months subscription.

Yes i've been getting the same message since Wednesday...they've taken my subscription too...no good to me now.

Is it safe to assume this is due to 15.99 NowTV Ireland being officially launched this week? In my case I won't be switching over to the Irish version and they will be just losing my business outright.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 auris12

CaptainD wrote: »
    Is it safe to assume this is due to 15.99 NowTV Ireland being officially launched this week? In my case I won't be switching over to the Irish version and they will be just losing my business outright.

I'd say so. I'm definitely not paying for the Irish version...complete rip off!!!!!

Their twitter has confirmed so.

Terrible business move, block "existing" customers and hope they sign up to an Irish account with a 50% mark up. Not to mention make existing boxes redundant. Mine was bought in Dublin City Centre as well.

The other issue I have is they don't have console support and other 3rd party devices. So why the premium?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,752 ✭✭✭✭Encrypted Pigeon

I'm getting a 1301 code now when I try watch an on demand program, live feed is fine. I take it the good times are over.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 BritAbroad

I just posted in another thread but looks like this one has more info.

I've had a UK subscription for years as I lived in the UK until 6 months ago. This week it stopped working for me too, same 1301 error you've seen.

What a joke, when I've been paying for years and now they want double the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Dave..M

BritAbroad wrote: »
    I just posted in another thread but looks like this one has more info.

I've had a UK subscription for years as I lived in the UK until 6 months ago. This week it stopped working for me too, same 1301 error you've seen.

What a joke, when I've been paying for years and now they want double the price.

Yup, sux. Being a UK citizen you should contact Trading Standards, likely won't do much in the face of SKYs GFY attitude but might make you feel a little better :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7 BritAbroad

Dave..M wrote: »
    Yup, sux. Being a UK citizen you should contact Trading Standards, likely won't do much in the face of SKYs GFY attitude but might make you feel a little better :pac:

Ah, not sure I can be bothered to go that far. I did try my luck with their online chat, just to see what they had to say. Got my last month refunded as I cancelled, so if anyone else is in the same boat then give them some hassle too and you'll at least get money back.

I travel regularly between UK and ROI and want to use the service in both locations. I'm SOL with being able to do that on one account it seems. They told me I should subscribe in Ireland, but as the cost is literally double then there's 0 chance of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭murphthesmurf

Just to add, if you have an existing subscription they will continue to take it until you cancel. However, when you try and access Nowtv UK site to access your account it will auto redirect you to the Irish site. If you enter your login details there it will give you an error screen saying something has gone wrong on their end and to refresh your screen. This is misleading though, the error is that Nowtv Ireland will not recognise your account. After trying several times I could not get on UK site as it will just redirect everytime. Only way I got around it was to use support chat, they sent me a link which directed me to UK site where I could cancel. I can see a few people being caught out by this though as it does genuinely look like the website is down when you try and access account.

UK boxes will not work with an Irish account, the box tries to contact UK account servers etc which will not recognise your login details.
    I paid £10 for my Nowtv box a couple of years ago. They have painted it black now and want 25 euro for it !
    Does anyone know if UK box can be flashed/rooted at all to standard Roku firmware, then just instal the Irish Nowtv app? Probably not as Irish Nowtv seems to support next to nothing device wise. Sceptical people may say this is a way of forcing you to buy the Nowtv box which is a profitable item in Ireland unlike the UK where they are selling it for not much more than cost at £10 .
    We should be grateful that our Sky overlords are letting us peasants have Nowtv at all though and pay whatever they demand :(

Are there any other subscription services that will work here and let us watch the box sets that Sky have at a decent price? I have Netflix and Amazon Prime, but there have been some great programmes on Sky such as G.O.T. , Ray Donovan, Hannibal that you can't get elsewhere that I'm aware of. I don't watch Nowtv that often 90% Netflix.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Sky guard their exclusive deal with HBO very carefully, they won't let other pay-TV providers have Sky Atlantic even in SD as a linear channel.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,577 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Sorry for bumping an oldish thread, but I'm wondering if anyone else has had this issue? I signed up for the free trial yesterday, but have noticed individual episodes missing from series. I started watching Silicon Valley e.g, but episode 2 and 8 are missing from season 1.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,577 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Veep is another. Episode 1 of Season 1 isn't listed for me. Could someone else please check?

Advertisement