Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

In full time employment wanting to go back to college

Options
  • 02-05-2017 2:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I'm currently in full time employment, and I would like some advice on how I should go about going back to college.

I hold a Level 6 fetac/qqi cert, therefore I should be accepted in to 2nd year of the course in CIT.

My problem is funding, if I leave my full time job to go to college full time where should I look for financial assistance? I'm completely confused with all the information I have looked up so far.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,237 ✭✭✭✭endacl

If you leave your job to go to college you won't get any funding beyond subsidised fees.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Kar95

endacl wrote: »
    If you leave your job to go to college you won't get any funding beyond subsidised fees.

And where would I get subsidised fees from?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,237 ✭✭✭✭endacl

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

I left my fulltime job to go back to college a few years ago.

1. Start saving now, and keep up a part time job while in college. If you have not undertaken a level 7 or 8 course before you will be entitled to subsidised fees. You get these by applying to SUSI. Just be warned you needs tonnes of documents and info when applying. If you are under 25 i think and still living at home you will be treated as a dependant and your parents incomes will be assessed.

2, I hate this option is even possible but people have taken advantage of it . Quit your job now. Become a waster on the dole for a year and once you are over 9 months on the dole you can apply for the BTEA back to education allowance which will basically give you your dole money for going to college.

I personally chose option 1 and completed a level 8 engineering degree. I did not want to waste a year of my life just to get BTEA

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭mrmeindl

What course are you thinking of doing? Are you living in cork?

You either save the money for the living costs of not working and possibly the €3K fees and somehow live off the savings for the year or 3 remaining in the course

OR

Get fired now, be unemployed for 9 months and then get €193 a week to go to college and you might get SUSI to pay the fees.

Unless there's a part time option for what you want to study - then you work as usual and go to class in the evenings.

• Advertisement
Advertisement