Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky Ireland won't fix Sky HD error due to external insulation

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

368100 wrote: »
    The difference is the holes for the dish have a long term purpose.....i didn't spend money having a nice finish on my walls to have random holes drilled which won't serve any real purpose

Personally it's no big deal. I'll just get filler over the weekend to plug the holes that were left and paint over it. There is clear filler down the other end so should be able to paint over that too.

Point being when I read this thread about the bolts, I got out of my car and could see them straight away. Not like I have to go up squinting. There is just noticable bolt holes beside my front door. That the wall is a light colour probably shows them more obvious. And it defo looks he made a meal of the holes.

And for me I just hate that slack, shoddy workmanship. I'm not a tradesman personally but most of my family are, and I'm a dab hand at some stuff. And there is nothing more slack and rubbish than someone cutting corners or just leaving a mess.

Also not doubting anyone here posting about the chimney stuff, personally my last two dishes were on side walls, one before on chimney and the current one on chimney. I've never had a problem with wind, this week has been pretty horrendous where I am wind wise and no issues. I might have a gawk over the weekend how he put in, but can't see any bands or it just being strapped on. It's an old style chimney that is quite wide so really can only imagine he would have bolted it or masonry screwed it.

Have found this informative and interesting that there are clearly "protocols" that can just differ from installer to installer.

Probably wouldn't get too upset over the bolting. Sure, it's weird. But they are an outsourcing company with god knows what qualification requirements. House I'm in has been getting work done with windows and gutters etc. and people I've had out just happy using ladders like they have for centuries :D I know when I do ladder work I have cinder blocks I chock into the ladder on windy days, or actually just anytime I'm up. Can appreciate though if they have had incidents that they bolt the ladders. Not like every home they go to will have someone to come out and hold it, or have the environment where a chock will be enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

TheDoc wrote: »
    What you mean they can't install on the chimney? Mine is definitely on the chimney, and I've had them on chimneys before, not to mention the hundreds you see on chimneys around the country.

Current chimney is an old style concrete block, old style terrace houses. Unless he was a numpty should be no issues with stability.

I can assure you 100%, absolutely that they shouldn't be installing on a chimney. Not if it's on a flat roof it's merely implied they shouldn't be doing it, but if it's on a pitched roof they 100% can't do it. Now that's not to say they won't - but the problem with that is the next guy might clean up after himself grand - but might stick to the policies in place.

So look at it this way, the guy did you a huge favour, or he didn't you decide.

Advertisement