Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should the M28 Cork-Ringaskiddy motorway be built? [project approved]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,533 ✭✭✭kub

I noticed a newly installed speed limit of 30 kph at the start of the slip road into Mount Oval earlier today.
    I wonder are the residents there getting fed up of their park being driven through by people like me, I was thinking back of the all the noise the NIMBY crowd were making about this slip road and the fear of losing it.

I am wondering now is there a change of heart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

kub wrote: »
    I noticed a newly installed speed limit of 30 kph at the start of the slip road into Mount Oval earlier today.
    I wonder are the residents there getting fed up of their park being driven through by people like me, I was thinking back of the all the noise the NIMBY crowd were making about this slip road and the fear of losing it.

I am wondering now is there a change of heart.

Must be fairly recent, i was in mount oval last Sunday week and seen nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Just drove thru there a little while ago and never noticed it. I may have been going too fast coming off the N28 though to see it :-)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

There's a fairly large section in de paper today about the Life Sciences industry in Cork.

To absolutely no one's surprise, an article on how critical the N28 is to this industry is featured

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/business/life-sciences-moves-to-enhance-traffic-flow-for-vital-sector-890168.html

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Baldilocks

Finally the Examiner gives a small bit of coverage to someone other than the NIMBY's

• Advertisement

This area is a blackspot for crashes, but of course the NIMBY's don't care once the M28 doesn't pass through their neck of the woods (pun inrtended) to this point.

https://twitter.com/EoinBearla/status/1074266796058927105

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭danny004

This area is a blackspot for crashes, but of course the NIMBY's don't care once the M28 doesn't pass through their neck of the woods (pun inrtended) to this point.

To be fair objectors cant exactly worry about cause and effect 10km downstream from where they live or poor driving habits on the current road which caused todays accident no more than this thread has correctly rubbished the M28 steering groups claims of the dangers of chemical carrying trucks travelling at 120km.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Pointless argument really. There was a fatality on the airport road the other night also which was one of the proposed routes. Maybe that should be made the motorway route because of that. Silly also of course.

danny004 wrote: »
    To be fair objectors cant exactly worry about cause and effect 10km downstream from where they live or poor driving habits on the current road which caused todays accident no more than this thread has correctly rubbished the M28 steering groups claims of the dangers of chemical carrying trucks travelling at 120km.

Indeed you are correct, but if it was not for their opposition and appealing the decision to The High Court, then work could have started at this stage on that road which i believe cannot come soon enough.

As for Chemical carrying trucks traveling at 120 Km, well the speed limit on the M28 will be 100kph, either way I do not think trucks are allowed to drive at that speed, their maximum is 100, i am sure Cork Trucker will confirm that.

Indeed you are correct, but if it was not for their opposition and appealing the decision to The High Court, then work could have started at this stage on that road which i believe cannot come soon enough.

As for Chemical carrying trucks traveling at 120 Km, well the speed limit on the M28 will be 100kph, either way I do not think trucks are allowed to drive at that speed, their maximum is 100, i am sure Cork Trucker will confirm that.

All trucks are governed, my one goes no more than 85km/h and that is flat out on a motorway.

The carrs hill area is a well known accident blackspot, whoever said trucks can do 120km/h is smoking something funny unless they have solid evidence that the limiter was tampered with, in that case yes they can do that speed but it is a criminal offence.

• Advertisement

Ludo wrote: »
    Pointless argument really. There was a fatality on the airport road the other night also which was one of the proposed routes. Maybe that should be made the motorway route because of that. Silly also of course.

And how often do you hear of accidents on the N27? no where near what occurs on carrs hill. The only ones who wanted the N28 incorporated into the M28 route were the NIMBY's. Now using that route is utter insanity, but sure i'll leave that to the experts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭cantalach

And how often to you hear of accidents on the N27? no where near what occurs on carrs hill. The only ones who wanted the N28 incorporated into the M28 route were the NIMBY's. Now using that route is utter insanity, but sure i'll leave that to the experts.

Nothing illustrated the nimbyism better than their advocating of the N27 over the N28. The same people who questioned what would happen if a HGV had a brake failure coming down Carr's Hill saw no such issues with the Airport Hill.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

The N27 is a higher standard than the N28 and carries less traffic

The N27 has been flagged for upgrade by TII but it's not as high priority as the N28

cantalach wrote: »
    Nothing illustrated the nimbyism better than their advocating of the N27 over the N28. The same people who questioned what would happen if a HGV had a brake failure coming down Carr's Hill saw no such issues with the Airport Hill.

What's not good for the goose is good for the gander in their eyes. If a HGV came down the N27 and lost its brakes there would be mayhem at the Kinsale Road Roundabout, i remember a HGV did hit the Bull McCabes bar years ago alright but the driver never put on the handbrake when exiting the vehicle.

marno21 wrote: »
    The N27 is a higher standard than the N28 and carries less traffic

The N27 has been flagged for upgrade by TII but it's not as high priority as the N28

What is the proposal for the N27? HQDC?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Toyota wont be selling Diesel cars from 2019 so that means there should be less noxious gasses in the Rochestown Road area when the motorway is built.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭BelfastVanMan

mikeym wrote: »
    Toyota wont be selling Diesel cars from 2019 so that means there should be less noxious gasses in the Rochestown Road area when the motorway is built.

Do many people drive Diesel Toyotas there?

Mostly Diesel Toyotas are Taxi's

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭BelfastVanMan

Mostly Diesel Toyotas are Taxi's

Ahh, I see.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 68,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Most popular brand in Ireland until recently and probably sold more than 50% diesel

The Greens have a lot to answer for effectively pushing the population to buy diesel en-masse when other countries knew the health risks. Can't see how anyone with even minor respiratory issues can countenance voting for them again

• Advertisement

L1011 wrote: »
    Most popular brand in Ireland until recently and probably sold more than 50% diesel

The Greens have a lot to answer for effectively pushing the population to buy diesel en-masse when other countries knew the health risks. Can't see how anyone with even minor respiratory issues can countenance voting for them again

The amount of people with Diesel's doing short trips is crazy, i'd love to know what information the Green Party had to lead them up this path, clearly it was the wrong one.

From July 2019 Bus Eireann will no longer be buying diesel only buses, so along the M28 when it is eventually built i suspect emissions will decline or at least be stable when you consider that Toyota are not going to be building diesels any longer, this combined with the Euro 6 emissions regulations mean that what trucks emit is actually quite low with say something much older, and the vast majority of hauliers have modern fleets anyway.

The steering group are clutching at straws, lets just hope the Judge sees through them in February.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Scoondal

Are rich people in Douglas still trying to prevent the economic development of Cork ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭cjpm

L1011 wrote: »

The Greens have a lot to answer for effectively pushing the population to buy diesel en-masse when other countries knew the health risks. Can't see how anyone with A BRAIN can countenance voting for THOSE FCUKERS

Fixed that there for you ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭cjpm

Scoondal wrote: »
    Are rich people in Douglas still trying to prevent the economic development of Cork ?

The rich people in Douglas (incl Mehole Martin and Buttimer) only care about the rich people in Douglas. Fcuk the greater good

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Golfer50

Nothing like a few baseless, I’ll informed comments to start the new year off. Congrats.

Well if it was not for the NIMBY crowd in the first instance, the M20 would be well on its way now.

Therefore I can understand posters frustrations at this late stage.

Golfer50 wrote: »
    Nothing like a few baseless, I’ll informed comments to start the new year off. Congrats.

Happy New Year to you as well Golfer.

Well if it was not for the NIMBY crowd in the first instance, the M20 would be well on its way now.

Therefore I can understand posters frustrations at this late stage.

Fingers crossed the judge blows it out next month.

How long they can drag it on for, Supreme court/ECJ god only knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Golfer50

And a Happy New Year to you Cork Trucker. May all continue to drive safely on the N28 for many years to come . . . and especially below 60kph on the section from Bloomfield to south of the Rochestown Road please :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Kevwoody

Golfer50 wrote:
    And a Happy New Year to you Cork Trucker. May all continue to drive safely on the N28 for many years to come . . . and especially below 60kph on the section from Bloomfield to south of the Rochestown Road please

Safely, and N28 in the same sentence??

Are you having a laugh?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement