Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Foreign neighbours with Irish flag in back garden

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 109 ✭✭Dublin Pintman

Good for them. Eastern Euros haven't been conditioned into thinking that pride in one's people and nation is 'racism'.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭A Little Pony

Its a great thing, it means they have respect for the respective country they are in and not hiding among themselves and not integrating.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Gravelly wrote: »
    Why would you never put up a flag? Not asking to be contrary or critical, just wondering. I probably would be the same, just put one up for big matches, is it due to it being associated with republicanism, or do we just lack an appreciation for a healthy level of nationalism? I notice when I travel to other countries, many are big into flying their flag - especially the British, and, mostly outside big cities, in America. I've noticed eastern Europeans tend to be very proud of their flag also.

In America it's usually a sign of a Trump supporter so not a good thing.

Like it or not flags have a certain connotation. I think it'll be a long time before ours is not considered a blatant sign of fervent nationalism.

Fair play to them I say. Sounds like they're integrating well. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Gravelly wrote: »
    Why would you never put up a flag? Not asking to be contrary or critical, just wondering. I probably would be the same, just put one up for big matches, is it due to it being associated with republicanism, or do we just lack an appreciation for a healthy level of nationalism? I notice when I travel to other countries, many are big into flying their flag - especially the British, and, mostly outside big cities, in America. I've noticed eastern Europeans tend to be very proud of their flag also.

Nothing to do with it being relation to nationalism. I just dont think flying a flag is something do be done at someones house.
    Just think flags belong at official buildings, government offices, schools, sporting events etc.

In movies i always find it strange when you see american houses with a flag outside.

• Advertisement

but what if my house is a postcolonial-insecurities safe space and my neighbour flies the tricolour?? can I sue?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Leilak wrote: »
    Just wondering how unusual is this ? As far as I know they are Latvian family and since Paddys day they have put Irish Flag on 30 ft flag pole in back garden. Any thoughts :)
    Aren't you the nosey neighbour?
    So what if they are foreign. If they want to fly the Irish flag, fair play and good stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

but what if my house is a postcolonial-insecurities safe space and my neighbour flies the tricolour?? can I sue?

You can ask him to take it down or have a march. Thats about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Parchment wrote: »
    Really nice people and Latvia is gorgeous.

Known a few Latvians and Estonians through the years, all dead sound (only Lithuanian was a cleaner where I used to work a few years back, also sound). They're fairly similar to Irish people, along with the Polish might be something to do with living next door to a historically huge power and bully of a nation.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,787 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

pilly wrote: »
    Like it or not flags have a certain connotation. I think it'll be a long time before ours is not considered a blatant sign of fervent nationalism.
    Flegs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

I had a tri colour but someone drew a penis on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

Clearly not assimilated

As they have yet to develop a sense of self loathing and/or west Brit tendencies. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,310 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Good for them, just the kind of people we want to see coming here.

People who come here to work and pay taxes, integrate and contribute to the country.

Although the other thread about the tricolour is a bit of an eyeopener, thankfully in real life I never come across losers like on that thread who have no respect for our flag and what it stands for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

If they have Irish nationality then the thread title should be "Irish neighbours with Irish flag in back garden".

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭northknife

Whooaooa Whooaoao Whooaooa

Chuchote wrote: »
    Camouflage

Things are never quite the way they seem.....

Oh sorry wrong thread..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,221 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Parchment wrote: »
    Really nice people and Latvia is gorgeous.

Does make you wonder doesn't it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Flegs.

That video really sums it up doesn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Hanwellian

Look at that guy who was arrested for terrorism activities in Waterford, he had dual nationality, he who shouts the loudest and all that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭...And Justice

Hanwellian wrote: »
    Loo at that guy who was arrest for terrorism activities in Waterford, he had dual nationality, he who shouts the loudest and all that!

He was just having a snack when they caught him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Beyondgone

The LLS has a great bit on people who are delighted to be here. The New Irish.

Flying the flag one and all.

It's great. So many new faces, delighted to be on the auld sod. The auld sod isn't 100% convinced it's great, but sure what's new?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

pilly wrote: »
    In America it's usually a sign of a Trump supporter so not a good thing.

No-one in America put up the stars and stripes before Trump went into politics, then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I've been watching Great American Railways Journeys on BBC two and it's striking just how many properties have a flag in the front garden. I'd suspect you'd get a few "looks" if you moved in and didn't put one up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

No-one in America put up the stars and stripes before Trump went into politics, then?

No one in America put up stars and stripes in the 1960s, at least not anywhere I lived in various parts of California. I think this nationalist flag-waving came in during the Bush era.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Reagan era, Shirley?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

Chuchote wrote: »
    No one in America put up stars and stripes in the 1960s, at least not anywhere I lived in various parts of California. I think this nationalist flag-waving came in during the Bush era.

Can't speak for California. But in Oklahoma, Texas and Missouri they definitely did in the 60s. The 3 states my parents lived in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Can't speak for California. But in Oklahoma, Texas and Missouri they definitely did in the 60s. The 3 states my parents lived in.

Ah well… :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,842 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

seamus wrote: »
    Bit creepy, but maybe it's considered somewhat normal in Latvia?

How is it creepy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭Tommy Kelly

I'm Latvian myself and I also have a Pole in my Garden holding an Ireland flag.

His name is Marius.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Leilak wrote: »
    Just wondering how unusual is this ? As far as I know they are Latvian family and since Paddys day they have put Irish Flag on 30 ft flag pole in back garden. Any thoughts :)

I think east Europeans in particular are very embracing of Ireland, it's culture and identity. They seem to make a link between their own national struggles and ours.
    I doubt if they'd moved to Germany or England would you see the same...

• Advertisement

Simona1986 wrote: »
    It's unfortunate that any pride in being Irish in Ireland can easily be confused with or associated with Republican views and the associated criminal and terrorist ongoings.

Big fúcking yawn to that one. So, just how many pieces of clothing do you have with the Butcher's Apron sewed into them somewhere? And how many products do you buy in your local supermarket with the same flag on them, just as it flew over the British concentration camps in South Africa and Kenya, Long Kesh, Ballykelly, Castlereagh and other torture centres of the Six Counties, and so much else?

How entertaining, too, that Lord Sutch, the arch flag-waving defender here of the British Empire, thanked your post.

Advertisement