Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Clamping on private property

Options
  • 26-04-2017 1:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 13

I am sorry for creating my own thread for this but each circumstance is different and I feel mine is different from the ones I have seen here, different that they were property owners enquiring.

So to make short but detailed enough.

Today I parked at a car park that was free for the past 2 or 3 years. It used to belong to a supermarket. Had no idea who owned it afterwards, but it was free to enter (no barrier, no signage not to park there).

I got a new (used) car recently. My logbook just arrived today, but since I hadn't paid the tax yet, I stayed away from public car parks, just to avoid a fine for tax. I went to this car park, haven't parked there for at least 3 months.

So I park it there and go away for about 20 mins. When coming back I see a fella with a chain going to my car. I ran over to find out what was going on. They told me I parked at restricted area and showed me the sign. Which in all fairness was there. Somehow I'd completely missed it. I apologised and asked the lady if she would let me go. She was like a broyer and said "No! I'm the owner. You're too late. You must pay €50". They had their car behind mine blocking the exit. So I paid the lady. They moved their car.

I asked her for the receipt. She gave me, I swear to god, an exercise-book lined A4 page. The receipt said that I paid them €50. No date, no reg number. After I cooled down, I realised perhaps I could do something about this.

I went to the council, and they told me to go the the Gards, they said the receipt was an absolute joke. The gards told me that because it was a private property there is nothing they can do.

But what baffles me is that the sign they have up there does not specify the amount you must pay. And besides I wasn't clamped. Why should I have to pay an unclamping fee when I wasn't clamped.

I know I did wrong, but honest I didn't notice it. There were other people saying the same too. We were all used to it for the past 3 years, we just didn't cop it.

I think she should have let me go since I wasn't clamped. The council, the gards even the traffic warden said it is wrong. But I am not gonna go to solicitor over 50 euro. What do you think?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

You're an idiot for paying.

Should have just screamed blue murder they let you out.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 daithyboy

Thanks for insulting me.

Well, I was never in a situation like that. I thought they were going to clamp me anyway.

In hindsight, if they were I should have let them, then pay and then let them take it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭corglass

As this is a civil matter the guards won't help.

You should not have paid, but as you did so consensually then you're chance to contest is has passed.

Move on. Send the council an email seeking they get landowner to clearly set out parking rules and fees if you really want to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 646 ✭✭✭hungry hypno toad

I think you need to check for signs before parking in future. Consider this a valuable lesson learnt. Hope this helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 646 ✭✭✭hungry hypno toad

OP, what is a 'broyer'?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭SteM

The revenue might be interested in this operation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭bmwguy

SteM wrote: »
    The revenue might be interested in this operation.

That's your best bet. See if you can get a picture of the sign and post it up here. See what people think.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,396 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I could have 20 cars for sale outside my house and revenue wouldn't chase it up. I can't see them doing much over €50

We are all anti-clamper and anti-profiteering of course, but if you parked on my land your car wouldn't be there when you came back. It has to be pointed out that parking on someone else's property without permission is taking the p1ss - and enough people must be doing it to say they were ready for you,

OP, what is a 'broyer'?

'"Broyer'" is my spelling of the phonetic approximation of local slang word for somebody angry. Just swap it for "like a dog".

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

colm_mcm wrote: »
    I could have 20 cars for sale outside my house and revenue wouldn't chase it up. I can't see them doing much over €50

We are all anti-clamper and anti-profiteering of course, but if you parked on my land your car wouldn't be there when you came back. It has to be pointed out that parking on someone else's property without permission is taking the p1ss - and enough people must be doing it to say they were ready for you,

Good luck explaining that in court. Two wrongs don't make it right.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭relax carry on

I could have 20 cars for sale outside my house and revenue wouldn't chase it up,

Revenue wouldn't care or have anything to do with the clamping as it's nothing to do with them but something as blatant as having 20 cars for sale outside your house would attract their attention and result in a compulsory IT registration at the very least if not already registered.

bmwguy wrote: »
    That's your best bet. See if you can get a picture of the sign and post it up here. See what people think.

The site isn't showing a picture button upload. Can you upload pictures here?

"Someone stopped you, insisted you pay them, and you did.

You were mad to pay."

Not someone. The owner. There is no question that they were phoneys.

Edit: I mean to say that they are not phoneys, so it isn't like someone pretending to be owner.

....... wrote: »

Only if they have a knife... Or a chain...

If I am in their private property and they threaten to clamp your car?

Dude, please don't be a hero. If you have nothing constructive to say instead of trolling please take your leave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭bmwguy

daithyboy wrote: »
    The site isn't showing a picture button upload. Can you upload pictures here?

When you hit post reply there is an.option to attach files but I see you are a new user so I think you need to have a certain number of posts or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭pajo1981

Am I missing something? Private property, with sign stating parkers will be clamped with €50 release fee. What's is unusual about this? Why was op mad to pay to have his car released?

• Advertisement

Except they didn't wave a chain at him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭pajo1981

I don't see how that makes a difference. He parked in front of a sign that said don't park here, release fee €50. If he didn't pay it the owner was under no obligation to move their car and unblock him.

pajo1981 wrote: »
    I don't see how that makes a difference. He parked in front of a sign that said don't park here, release fee €50. If he didn't pay it the owner was under no obligation to move their car and unblock him.

It is actually illegal to limit someone else's ability to manage his property.

So if I drive into a multi storey car park and don't want to pay on the way out, they have no legal right to stop me leaving without paying?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

Car park owner should not be clamping.

That said, the fee is a €50 release fee.

As the above had said, you shouldn't have paid as you weren't clamped yet.

Not everyone has full clarity of mind when they're in stressfull situation, so i reckon you just paid out of shock?

So if I drive into a multi storey car park and don't want to pay on the way out, they have no legal right to stop me leaving without paying?

Yes. It is a civil dispute and the owner of the car-park could bring you to civil court.

Unfortunately you will get very little aid from the state in that matter and it is simply much more convenient simply to pay. "It is private land" you will hear, which is bull-**** - if you got robbed on private land they would come.

grogi wrote: »
    Yes.

I'll try that and see how I get on. Could potentially save a fortune on monthly parking.

• Advertisement

I'll try that and see how I get on. Could potentially save a fortune on monthly parking.

Let us know how it goes :D

You still owe them the money, and you should not force your way out by making any property damage. Be very careful about personal abuse as well...

Advertisement