Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hacker gets two years

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

harsh? he got off pretty lightly imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Neon_Lights

gimli2112 wrote: »
    http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-39705068

2 years is probably harsh but then I think of that Christmas from a few years back that Lizard Squad took down the PSN and literally ruined Christmas.

Its pretty hard to quantify as the judge may have no idea of the individuals technical intelligence, they also can use it as an opportunity to recruit to GCHQ if the individual is skilled

• Closed Accounts Posts: 646 ✭✭✭hungry hypno toad

He did it for financial gain, no sympathy for a fairly light sentence. I assume the defence tried to use his autism as an excuse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Considering the misery he and the programme he sold on to others have caused people, companies and organisations, I think he got off quite lightly.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Daledge

Two years isn't harsh, there's potential for him to do a lot worse. Probably will eventually.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

F*ck him.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,734 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

LOL his name is Mudd :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭moonlighting

So he made quarter of a million. nice,
    Time for a career change for me. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

gaming websites including Minecraft, Xbox Live and the fantasy game Runescape
    It had 112,000 registered users, who in turn attacked 666,000 IP addresses globally.
    Wow, those numbers sure look awfully convenient.

666 because he's evil innit.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

He did it for financial gain, no sympathy for a fairly light sentence. I assume the defence tried to use his autism as an excuse.

I hope he got all that money confiscated. Even then he got away very lightly. He did it for profit and not just for ****s and giggles.

• Advertisement

I hope he got all that money confiscated. Even then he got away very lightly. He did it for profit and not just for ****s and giggles.

I believe they have proceeds of crime legislation in the UK to do just that.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

He's a scumbag and just as bad as lizard squad in my book, he should have gotten more for all the grief he caused.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,834 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

When i initially heard he had autism, i was sceptical about the sentencing, as i have a nephew who is autistic, and sometimes he just doesn't realise what he is doing is wrong. However, having read the article, and seeing that he got a substantial amount of money for creating the file, i have no sympathy. He knew what he was doing, and got paid for it. He'll be out in a few months with good behaviour because the "prison" won't be able to supply to his needs, he'll be considered a low risk re-offender, might get a PC ban for a while. With his intelligence (i'm guessing, i've no idea how hard it is to create stuff like this), he has the IT world at his fingertips, but he may just have shot himself in the foot for future employment, which will either lead to a sad, lonely life, or a return to cyber crime, except this time he'll probably be more careful about covering his steps.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

F*ck him.

oh they will, won't be any denial of service for him now

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

With his intelligence (i'm guessing, i've no idea how hard it is to create stuff like this), he has the IT world at his fingertips, but he may just have shot himself in the foot for future employment, which will either lead to a sad, lonely life, or a return to cyber crime, except this time he'll probably be more careful about covering his steps.
    He'll get a job with either a security firm, or a semi-state company that does security. If all else fails, he'll become employed by a shady setup that has use for his skills.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

harsh? he got off pretty lightly imo.

Lol at all the rage against him.

There's scum out there who have done a lot worse and have less sentences. He inconvenienced some gamers, boo hoo. 2 years is a ridiculous sentence, judge is just setting an example and therefore a lot harsher than needs to be.

He inconvenienced some gamers, boo hoo.
    Also Mudd also "targeted up to 70 schools and colleges, including the University of Cambridge, University of Essex and University of East Anglia, as well as local councils".

Also, it looks to be more like 5 years?;
    “Today, he was sentenced to 24 months imprisonment for his own DDoS attacks, nine months for running a titanium stressor service and 24 months for money laundering the proceeds made from the stressor service, all to run concurrently,” reads a press release issued by the Eastern Region Special Operations Unit (ERSOU), an anti-cybercrime unit that worked with the U.K.’s National Crime Agency to investigate Mudd.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,154 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

the_syco wrote: »
    Also Mudd also "targeted up to 70 schools and colleges, including the University of Cambridge, University of Essex and University of East Anglia, as well as local councils".

"all to run concurrently" means the sentences​ all run at the same time, so 24 months is the max length.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,502 ✭✭✭✭Varik

the_syco wrote: »

Concurrently mean at the same time, so it's only 2 years.

Hate when Judges do that, I know it's the UK but they do it here and I wish they were stopped from doing it.

The hate on the internet is strong for this guy to a point where you would swear he'd fiddled some kids, lets not forget he was what 16 at the time, ok made a fair bit of money but still a kid himself. I know when I was that age I did some pretty stupid stuff.

His crime is really one against a first world luxury in that gaming networks were attacked as a result of his software. Levels of out rage on this level should be reserved for proper criminals and not because we couldn't log on to gaming services for a few days.

• Advertisement

The hate on the internet is strong for this guy to a point where you would swear he'd fiddled some kids, lets not forget he was what 16 at the time, ok made a fair bit of money but still a kid himself. I know when I was that age I did some pretty stupid stuff.

His crime is really one against a first world luxury in that gaming networks were attacked as a result of his software. Levels of out rage on this level should be reserved for proper criminals and not because we couldn't log on to gaming services for a few days.

Tbh, the gaming networks wouldn't be the issue for me at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

We don't swear he fiddled kids. People who do way worse get even more lenient sentences. Doesn't mean this guy should too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

When i initially heard he had autism, i was sceptical about the sentencing.........

No idea how genuine his condition is, however it does seem that 'autism' is the affliction of choice for hackers. I certainly hope it is genuine, as I find the possibility that autism is being co-opted as a handy defence for hackers as highly distasteful.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

I hope when he's in prison they allow him internet access but fix it so every page he tries to load times out or redirects to cloudflare errors.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Levels of out rage on this level should be reserved for proper criminals

He is a proper criminal. Convicted and everything, he is literally a proper criminal.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

tbh if ye asked most kids today which was the more serious crime, fiddling them or bringing down the PSN network they'd probably choose the latter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

He made a lot of cash ruining people's free time and making life difficult for others.

Two years seems reasonable to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,834 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I know some people believe that it's a bit harsh, but even taking into account his age (16, not a child) and even taking into consideration that he has autism (but it doesn't state where on the spectrum he is, seems to be a fully functioning autistic to me if he's able to create code, hack and launder money), he still done something highly illegal, and it's more the potential damage and cost he could cause in the future is the reason for the sentence. A light sentence probably wouldn't have deterred him from doing it again. Now, he might think twice. And not only that, but it cost the companies millions to fix/prevent. You think that money won't affect the quality of games/services coming from these companies? They have to find it somewhere, and that'll mean cut corners surely.

I think the 'lol, gamerz first world problems' angle is a bit daft tbh. He was also targeting schools, colleges and other organisations that I'm sure weren't swimming in cash and caused them awful problems. He was also selling on his software to other people to do with what they please and I'm sure they caused a hell of a lot of hassle to others as well. I think the 2 year sentence is pretty lenient.

• Advertisement

Andrew76 wrote: »
    "all to run concurrently" means the sentences​ all run at the same time, so 24 months is the max length.
    Ah. Got mixed up with consecutive. My bad :/

Advertisement