Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Last minute vs well in advance

Options
  • 24-04-2017 7:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭

when youre tasked with whatever, be it college assignments, chores, preparations etc. do you leave it all until the last minute or get it out of the way well in advance?

I am more of the former, though like to think I'm the latter. Sometimes a last minute buzz can get you more productive than ever in my experience. Some may work better that way.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

just-in-time production for me

I work better under pressure...didnt study for the leaving until Easter... don't leave for work until the last bus is about to arrive... don't start to meet deadlines until the night before they're due...etc

I'm due to go for dinner at 9pm and I probably won't get off the sofa and shower until 8.30, then leg it. I can't say it's a mindset that has ever done me any harm, in fact in some ways it's good to be able to put something stressful aside in your mind and forget about it until you need to deal with it.

Purely anecdotal, but I sometimes feel like those who are most meticulous at planning are often the most stressed-out people I know. You could set the time by my girlfriend's routine, but she stresses about absolutely everything. Different strokes.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,480 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Something like this most of the time...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

About 24 hours in advance, to have the last day spare for any unforeseen incidents.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

When I was in school and college I was definitely a last minute girl. There was a lot of Thursday nights in college where I was trying to print out an essay at 3am. But now, at work I'm a get in done with loads of time to spare. I hate leaving things to the last minute because there is no guarantee I won't be landed with something someone else has left to the last minute and now doesn't have time to do.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

I once did an accountancy exam (mercantile law) with six days study and passed.
    Before I opened the books I didn't know anything about the subject.
    The downside is I passed all the exam subjects but didn't get a high enough overall average and failed.
    Well in advance makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

More of a bury the head in the sand merchant

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

I wouldn't be overly meticulous in planning but I definitely like to have the outline of a plan to work against rather than leaving everything to the last minute.

If I leave things to the last minute I get very stressed out.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Last minute but usually late.

My motto is "why do today what you can put off till tomorrow"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

Well in advance. I have fear of catastrophe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Frigating

I have an essay due for Wednesday which I still need to begin typing yet I'm on boards. So there's my answer.

If I have to meet someone or if me doing something affects somebody else I'll usually have it done in advance, or at least, not at the very last minute. Otherwise I have zero motivation to do anything if I can justify doing it later. Usually I'm not late with things, just cutting it very close.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Seconds before the off, is usually my MO. I was always that Sunday night cram for Monday morning homework, if I did it at all.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Four Phucs Ache

Last minute all the way all my life.

My wife is the total opposite and even sets every fooking clock early by 5 mins.

Once I set them to the right time and she missed her parking spot in work, well holy fook I'd say Vodafone have that phonecall stickied.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

Grace under pressure.... the mark of a genius, or so they say

I'm such a weirdo I'd hand in my college assignments like a week before hand and I'd have to sign off on them and usually be one of the first. I have no idea why I'd do this only maybe one time leaving it till the day before writing 2,500 words, losing it all on the library PC and having to write it all over again. Such a disaster I could never let it happen again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Last minute. I work best under pressure

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭Neames

In work I like to get things done before the deadline, less grief. But I've been caught out before when submitting work early, I got rewarded with.....guess....more work. So now work gets submitted not late but on time.

Outside of work, I like order and punctuality, I'll avoid keeping people waiting....and those people that are always late just bug me no end.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I only do it when I have been reminded 5 times. Works wonders for your career ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

In work I get everything done as soon as it hits my desk, as my work load can multiply very quickly so I can screw myself by delaying. But in personal life, last minute for everything.

Have a final year project for a course I'm doing, everyone in the class been taking about how much work they are doing on it since Christmas. I literally started the main part of it last week, but I'll have it all done in time, no problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

I do everything immediately.

• Advertisement

I'm usually early to meet people, can't handle anyone who's late. I would overprep food in work just because. I can't handle tardiness. Can't handle waiting for phone calls either.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,094 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

I was about to start doing up a presentation for 10:30 tomorrow morning but I've to put on a wash now so I'll have something to wear for it.

I'll get up at 7 and put the dryer on... can do the prestantion while I wait for that.

I wish I wasn't serious. Will probably sleep in until 7:30 as that extra half an hour isn't completely necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭neonsofa

Purely anecdotal, but I sometimes feel like those who are most meticulous at planning are often the most stressed-out people I know. You could set the time by my girlfriend's routine, but she stresses about absolutely everything. Different strokes.

I leave things til the last minute and then stress out wishing I had planned things meticulously.
    I procrastinate until I've a deadline looming though. It's so stressful!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Definitely the last possible moment. It's not that I work best under pressure, I'm just lazy. There were exams in college and some final exams in high school that were passed with only studying last night. It helps if you pick sociology and history for your chosen subjects and not chemistry and German. I am not much better at work but I think it depends how much unrelated stress I am under. I am a lot more productive when there is less of other bs going on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Last minute all the time which can cause a considerable amount of stress but the quality of the work for me is always still good. For one 2500 word college assignment a few years back I finished work at 4, and did the assignment at my office desk for hand in that evening at 7.30pm. Ridiculous when I think back to it.

For my Leaving Cert it was all night before cramming.

Last minute for everything except going to work. I like 20-30 minutes at a cafe to start my day.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Last minute but usually late.

My motto is "why do today what you can put off till tomorrow"

"Never put off till tomorrow, the things you can put off till the day after tomorrow"

Mark Twain or Oscar Wilde or http://quoteinvestigator.com/2013/01/17/put-off/

"Never put off till tomorrow, the things you can put off till the day after tomorrow"

Mark Twain or Oscar Wilde or http://quoteinvestigator.com/2013/01/17/put-off/

Start today as you mean to go on.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,353 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I work best under pressure or, to be more exact, I only work under pressure.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Always well in advance. I was always the same and instilled it into my kids as well. Assignments, project work etc. always get them done as early as possible rather than risking a problem if completing them at the last minute.

Advertisement