Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gym in south Dublin (Dublin 18-ish)

Options
  • 24-04-2017 3:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭

Hi all,

I have been going to gym for a while but stopped completely for last 6 months. I always took it easy in the gym and never pushed myself much.

Now I'm looking to get back into it but before I do I would like to do 6-8 week proper course with diet and instructor, 3 days a week.

Who would you recommend? I called RAW last week but they sounded a bit like Time Share way back when in US. Sort of a cult and legend rather than a gym.

p.s. I would like to stay within reasonable budget - eg. 20-25 per week.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Ben Dunne in Sandyford has 20 a month membership.

If you want to see an instructor 3 times a week it will be expensive no matter where you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭deadlybuzzman

You're not going to get a gym membership AND a worthwhile trainer and diet plan for 100 quid a month.
    If that's your budget I'd see if it's possible to get just an instructional session or two with a good trainer to make sure you're form is right when training.
    As for gyms, southside strength is great. When I'm in Dublin that's where I go and your first session is free

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭spr1nt3r

Ben Dunne in Sandyford has 20 a month membership.

If you want to see an instructor 3 times a week it will be expensive no matter where you go.

I have been keeping an eye on Ben Dunne as I'll be ending up there sooner or later. They sometimes do 18 months for 12 months price which is quite good.

Mind you going to Ben Dunne is a bit like suicide mission most of the time. They have at most 3 people who usually have to cover reception, tidy up weights and clean up at the same time. You could be breaking your bag with $Hite posture and nobody would say a thing. Maybe that's just me but I find it weird, even after few years in similar gyms.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭caviardreams

spr1nt3r wrote: »
    I have been keeping an eye on Ben Dunne as I'll be ending up there sooner or later. They sometimes do 18 months for 12 months price which is quite good.

Mind you going to Ben Dunne is a bit like suicide mission most of the time. They have at most 3 people who usually have to cover reception, tidy up weights and clean up at the same time. You could be breaking your bag with $Hite posture and nobody would say a thing. Maybe that's just me but I find it weird, even after few years in similar gyms.

So for €20 a month you also expect to be coached on your form? I don't think you can expect that of any gym at that price point. Really you are just paying for the facilities in that context - a bit like execution only investment, you can't expect any financial advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

spr1nt3r wrote: »
    You could be breaking your bag with $Hite posture and nobody would say a thing.

They are providing you with facilities, not trainers. What you do there is your own business.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

20 a month for a gym is cheap. wherever you go you will have to pay €30-40 a class to get coaching.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭spr1nt3r

20 a month for a gym is cheap. wherever you go you will have to pay €30-40 a class to get coaching.

True that, coaching is expensive, around €30 a session. Classes are free though.

I heard rumors on gyms that do 3 sessions per week, 10 people groups doing same or similar things in terms of weight lifting and not costing an arm and a leg. Maybe I missed something...

Advertisement