Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Rail website revamp

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,331 ✭✭✭cgcsb

My Tullamore-Dublin return has decreased from €33 to €22 so the €11 saving is to be welcomed of course.

Unfortunately I booked a ticket to travel on Monday Even but I was unable to travel, the website wouldn't let me change the dates so I just printed the ticket and I'll use it this weekend as it claims to be 'fully flexible' will post if I have any problems or have to explain to any staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

Fully flexible doesn't mean that you can travel on any day you want. You will be told to buy another ticket at the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Nomis21

cgcsb wrote: »
    My Tullamore-Dublin return has decreased from €33 to €22 so the €11 saving is to be welcomed of course.

Unfortunately I booked a ticket to travel on Monday Even but I was unable to travel, the website wouldn't let me change the dates so I just printed the ticket and I'll use it this weekend as it claims to be 'fully flexible' will post if I have any problems or have to explain to any staff.

I saw that fare as well. It seems that IR are trying to make it cheaper to buy online now as in the past it was actually sometimes more expensive online with service charges.

I think your fare would still be 33 Euro if you buy it at the station.

I'm also thinking that the idea is to make more stations like Clara, ticket machine or online only sales. I notice that in Clara they have set up more cameras and a monitor for the driver to check the platform. Question is what about free travel holders who need a free ticket?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Hilly Bill wrote: »
    Fully flexible doesn't mean that you can travel on any day you want. You will be told to buy another ticket at the weekend.

If "fully flexible" is just new wording for open return, it's daft.... EDIT: looking again... in fairness it says "Travel any time on day of travel".

• Registered Users Posts: 18,144 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Interestingly notice fares on the Limerick-Ballybrophy line have become extremely cheap.

I also note that the discount on child fares has been scrapped completely, which isn't a good thing. (Edit: Actually no, just on Ennis/Limerick to Heuston, strangely enough)

Why revamp the basic pricing of routes?

• Advertisement

monument wrote: »
    If "fully flexible" is just new wording for open return, it's daft.

Its not. It means if you missed your train that day, you can travel on a later one without the surcharge as you have paid the full fare.
    Semi flexible, you can travel on a service one before or after the one you booked for a surcharge.
    Non flexible, you must travel on the time you booked or otherwise you have to buy a new ticket.

Nomis21 wrote: »
    I saw that fare as well. It seems that IR are trying to make it cheaper to buy online now as in the past it was actually sometimes more expensive online with service charges.

I think your fare would still be 33 Euro if you buy it at the station.

I'm also thinking that the idea is to make more stations like Clara, ticket machine or online only sales. I notice that in Clara they have set up more cameras and a monitor for the driver to check the platform. Question is what about free travel holders who need a free ticket?

Ftp holders just get on the train if the booking office is closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

http://www.irishrail.ie/

What do we think? It was overdue a facelift.

New fare info: http://www.irishrail.ie/news/managemybooking

Low Fare: The cheapest option, customers will be able to travel on the service booked only to get the best fares. Customers can change name and seat selection online in advance.
    Semi Flexible: This offers some flexibility. Customers can switch to the train just before or after their booked service without any charge. In addition, they can change to other services online in advance, or cancel their booking entirely, by paying a 20% fee, a significant reduction from the current manual system.
    Fully Flexible: Customers can make time changes or cancellations online up to 90 minutes before departure for no charge. Customers can also switch to any other train on their route on the day of travel for no charge.
    CityGold / Premier Class: These services and ticket options will remain available on the Dublin/Cork and Dublin/Belfast routes available.
    Low Fare and Semi Flexible customers can also change to other trains not covered by their ticket type at the station on the same day of travel for a €15 surcharge.

Badly needed and a bit of an improvement,would be handy if they allowed you to book tickets in advance a few months down the line rather than 2 months.

It gets even more strange!

Limerick to Roscrea, adult fare is €2.99 each way, on all fares (Fully Flexible is the same price as No Flex)

Limerick to Roscrea, child fare varies between €3 and €3.99, Fully Flex is the cheapest at €3 and the non flexible fare is the most expensive at €3.99, making a child ticket more expensive than an adult ticket.

You really couldn't make it up with Iarnrod Eireann.

Although, a fully flexible fare of €5.98 return from Limerick to Roscrea is quite good.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 le_baz

Anyone notice that the Railcard/Taxsaver option is gone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,380 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

le_baz wrote: »

I notice with BE that all taxsaver tickets must be purchassed through employer is IE the same now and have rail cards being rolled into taxsaver

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 4,161 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

I notice with BE that all taxsaver tickets must be purchassed through employer is IE the same now and have rail cards being rolled into taxsaver

Taxsaver must be purchased by the employer, its the law.

Annual tickets are still available for purchase, sold by the taxsaver office all the same

• Registered Users Posts: 4,759 ✭✭✭cython

le_baz wrote: »
    Taxsaver must be purchased by the employer, its the law.

Annual tickets are still available for purchase, sold by the taxsaver office all the same

I suspect the poster was referring to the option to purchase intercity tickets (for their own use) at a discounted rate as used to be available for holders of annual taxsaver tickets ;) Haven't looked to see myself if it is there or gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,331 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Hilly Bill wrote: »

I'll just explain to a member of staff that the website did not function correctly, and I was unable to change the dates.

I'll just explain to a member of staff that the website did not function correctly, and I was unable to change the dates.

Check the price of a station ticket against the online ticket and then make your decision.

You will still have to buy a new ticket.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Thebe

http://www.irishrail.ie/

What do we think? It was overdue a facelift.

Home page is nice and clear, fast on phone :)
    Departure board is two clicks though and no change to layout :rolleyes:
    Timetable and prices also nice and clear but missing ticket office prices and missing monthly tickets etc :(
    Prices, some prices dearer than usual :mad:
    Manual seat choice, layout improved but no idea what blue seats are and why some seats cannot be picked :rolleyes:
    Guest account handy but might not be needed if forgot password actually works now :)
    Payment, no PayPal after all these years, wtf :eek:
    Ticket collection, only at machine, no print or barcode scan tut tut :mad:
    Confirmation, new pin number buried at end of email and layout a joke :mad:
    Manage booking useful :)

Overall: Some improvements but not much :mad:

Barcode scan available in the next phase plus buying ticket on train. Booking office prices shown in same way as previous site. Confirmation number in the process of been changed to top of page.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

Just looking through some of the changes and it is a step in the right direction.

However some of the fares are a little unclear. Maybe someone here can clear them up. Tickets for the Cork commuter service are now available to buy online.
    Midleton to Cork is €4:55 through the main ticketing page but if you go to the cork commuter fare page it shows the cash fare as €6:25 and the leap fare as €4:77??

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Is anyone having an issue logging into an account while paying?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 le_baz

cython wrote: »
    I suspect the poster was referring to the option to purchase intercity tickets (for their own use) at a discounted rate as used to be available for holders of annual taxsaver tickets ;) Haven't looked to see myself if it is there or gone.

I had a bit of a twitter go at them. That ticket type is now removed.

Cached site
    http://web.archive.org/web/20161211040930/http://www.irishrail.ie/fares-and-tickets/tickets-explained

Taxsaver Loyalty
    Who is eligible for this ticket?

Annual taxsaver ticket holders
    What are the conditions of travel?
    Current Annual Taxsaver ticket holders can now avail of discounted fares of up to 30% on peak time travel fares online by selecting the 'Railcard/ Taxsaver Loyalty' ticket option.

For more information go to the Taxsaver website.

Where can I buy this ticket?

Online: Yes
    Ticket Machines: No
    Ticket Offices: No

• Registered Users Posts: 4,409 ✭✭✭robbiezero

When I select Dublin City (Luas or Bus to Heuston) to Thurles, It tells me booking originated in Northern Ireland.
    When I leave out the Luas part of the journey and just select Heuston to Thurles it works fine.

That happening for anyone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,692 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

robbiezero wrote: »
    When I select Dublin City (Luas or Bus to Heuston) to Thurles, It tells me booking originated in Northern Ireland.
    When I leave out the Luas part of the journey and just select Heuston to Thurles it works fine.

That happening for anyone else?

Just tired and works fine for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Nearly a year on and still no option for barcode scanning/phone tickets, and prices all over the place. Cork to Dublin is €17 single and Cork to Belfast is €19?!

Also, as pointed out previously, a journey like Limerick to Roscrea (1.5 hrs) is €2.99 for all the fare types. Cork to Killarney, the very same journey time/distance, is €15 at least, for the flex fare. How is this fair or logical?

Advertisement