Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Chat. (MOD NOTE post# 3949 and post#5279)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Fils

Ever since I was a kid they have been banging on about the sea levels rising.

Since that time.........I haven't seen the sea levels rise an inch or any islands disappear or any towns and cities washed away.

Familiarise yourself with ice caps, particularly Antarctic and Greenland. The disillusionment of sea levels not rising is incorrect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Bog Trotter99

Fils wrote: »
    Familiarise yourself with ice caps, particularly Antarctic and Greenland. The disillusionment of sea levels not rising is incorrect.

Well without getting into an argument of something we cant see back then. You sow me not melted ice caps but the permanently drowned coastal villages, the disappeared underwater islands, the coastlines permanently under water.

Whether ice has disappeared from regions or moved elsewhere or whatever. You would think after 50 years of banging on about it we would now see 'permanent' effects of it wouldn't you? After all it was always going to happen in 10 - 20 - 30 - 50 - and now 100 years.:)

I know we have wild storms and weather and all the other stuff, but that has gone on in the Earth's history ever since.

Why do you think there is such emphasis on the 2030 climate bill date? We are tethering on a fine line with climate.

Why do you think there is such emphasis on the 2030 climate bill date? We are tethering on a fine line with climate.

As I said I am not looking for an argument but show me some on the stuff which was alleged to happen in the past 50 years and probably longer.

Regards 2030 half that stuff will never happen by then. Some of it physically and technologically can't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Richard308

As I said I am not looking for an argument but show me some on the stuff which was alleged to happen in the past 50 years and probably longer.

Regards 2030 half that stuff will never happen by then. Some of it physically and technologically can't.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/trevornace/2017/09/09/new-study-finds-8-islands-swallowed-by-rising-sea-level/?sh=188b39c05283

• Advertisement

Richard308 wrote: »

That's ok and I take your point and do not dispute what is there.

But some points to my post......... A rise of just a few inches is not what is and has been forecast ever since I was young and possibly before. Even upto about 20 years ago I remember being told that it was going to rise by at least one meter within 10 years. I even devised a business idea around such which is why I remember the details.

Also the devastating effects of this sea rise has up to yet been non existent and not what was forecast.

These so called tiny islands.......coral and sand banks in the sea are always popping up and disappearing. So my point is it isn't the Isle of whatever under six feet of water with people hanging on to old innertubes is it........as was forecast over the years.

There has been lots of these environmental disasters forecast because of mans activity since I was a kid. So far none of them have come true.

I can even remember for about 5 years they were banging on about a new huge ice age of catastrophic proportions in the late 1970's early 1980's. We were going to be under hundreds of meters of ice. This was replaced by a new sex disease which made the scientists forget about ice and got people worried on something else for a few years until another scientist found a hole in the ozone layer which gave us just a few years to live.

Again all this scientific evidence by scientists with the latest technology and satellite info.

Still waiting.

In 1978 old Dr Spock aka Leonard Nimoy narrated this terrifying warning for us all to cuddle up close because it's going to get cold out there in the new ice age coming soon to a new glacier near you...............according to scientists and the latest technology.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tAYXQPWdC0

In1981 they had swung full circle. Just a few years later !!!! Less than three in fact. Maybe because we weren't concerned enough about scraping meters of ice from our windscreens in the morning and they then scared us to death with glorious hot weather and global warming and going for a paddle in the sea in Roscommon and other places.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zHAbYOXjzk

You see my point I hope. We have yet to see anything that they have predicted.

These scientists.......they aren't kind of consistent are they? Not to mention exact. And as for NASA who have been left in the dust by one man who lands his rockets with pin point accuracy, something they can't do but they do claim they can measure and predict our fate.

Are you in denial of the ice caps melting?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,138 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I am not disagreeing with what you say Mellor except buildings. Some buildings which are old have appeared to claim copyright on pics. So the architect may be long dead.
    As I said architectural copyright applies to the design, not the image of the building. There are specific aspects of law that put the image in the public domain. Old buildings makes no difference.
    I can personally guarantee you that architects do not see a penny of royalty when their building is imagery is in the background of a photo or film. Any skyline shot would feature designs from 100s of architects.

That doesn’t mean that the image of buildings are never copyrighted. French law is different, so images of buildings like the Louvre, Notre Dame and the Pompidou Centre are copyrighted.
    A exception is the Eiffel Tower, which is public domain. But the light installation is more recent and protected - so night time photos are copyrighted.
    Taking pics is ok I have never said other but even your storage facilities are subject to rules and regs. It even says so on EU based website privacy laws and businesses have to have secure storage. So my point is what happens to the pics when they are loaded to your pc is?????
    Loading on to a PC is storing and still private use.
    Universal world accepted law/rule whatever it is of model release that is used everywhere. For instance on location in Sahara desert. I think you would still need a model release signed even though you are based in Ireland but the pics are taken there in desert.

If it’s for private use, you don’t need a release.
    If it’s commercial, obviously you do. There is no world law. If the company is based in Ireland, then Irish law would apply to the usage. Plus others along the way if required.

Here is one for the mess of photography laws.

What if your trail cam or security cam catches someone, a person, uninvited in an uncompromising situation on your property, say relieving themselves with their bits on show.

Work that one out.

Well, they probably broken 2 or 3 laws by doing that. Trespassing, public indecency, vandalism. Probably in their interest to not make a fuss.

I have never said or implied such a thing. But on your point....why they have melted is not so clear cut.

My point is all the predictions of impending doom in my lifetime on several different environmental themes that scientists claim to have expert knowledge on...........Simply havent come true in any shape or form that they have claimed.

Instead of being under meters of water or even ice now as they predicted back whenever, we are still here with dry feet and they keep pushing the zero hour of disaster further and further into the future....... But we must act now!!!

It's beginning to sound a bit dodgy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭yubabill

I have never said or implied such a thing. But on your point....why they have melted is not so clear cut.

My point is all the predictions of impending doom in my lifetime on several different environmental themes that scientists claim to have expert knowledge on...........Simply havent come true in any shape or form that they have claimed.

Instead of being under meters of water or even ice now as they predicted back whenever, we are still here with dry feet and they keep pushing the zero hour of disaster further and further into the future....... But we must act now!!!

It's beginning to sound a bit dodgy.

Weren't we supposed to have a new Ice Age, at least that's what the experts were predicting when I was a kid?

FWIW, Greenland's mass balance is right bang on the median for this time of year, as it has been for a long time. (The Danish Met Office keeps a sober track of it, one of the few left).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,955 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Yeah...Last time I looked The Maldives are still there...
    But according to the president thereof president Mohamed Nasheed addressed other world leaders at the UN General Assembly Summit on Climate Change in August 2009 ...They were sinking and disappearing. When in fact they are actually expanding going by the latest surveys.

Note this article is now 3 years ago.And we had Miss Thunaburg whining the same BS 2 years ago in the UN.

https://onenewsnow.com/science-tech/2018/09/22/30-yrs-later-global-warming-still-hasnt-sunk-maldives
    Now of course like with all cults when the leaders predictions of whatever haven't come true the Green cult pushes its dire predictions out further to 2030,or poosibly 2050 of impending doom and salvation . Conviently ignoring that they have been doom mongering since 1964, and not ONE of their doom laden prophesies have come to pass.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Since a kid I can remember the following ends of the world as near as I can remember in order.

Pollution killing all life...........It is worse now and we are still here.

Nuclear war turning the world into a radioactive oven............We can hope never but keep Joe away from buttons.

Ice age..................still hasn't happened.

Over population.................Nearly doubled now and less people starving.

Burning rainforest......................Hardly any left compared to when they first banged on about it.

Global warming.............At least 40 years old now and nothing happened but was going to happen in 10.

Nuclear winter...............Can't make their feckin minds up whether its cold or hot after a war.

AID's...........Well that one worried everybody but we are still here except for poor Freddie.

Mad cow disease..................Yep she still has it.

Ozone layer.................Now you see it, now you dont. Over 30 years old and still coming and going.

Global warming again...................Still nothing.

Yup very much when you have a conman and a phoney like Al Gore assuring us of this happening by 2015,along with 150 dollars barrels of oil,25 dollar loaves of bread,and us growing grapes in Kerry, while paddling our [well-fed], gondolas thru the flooded streets of Dublin.:pac::rolleyes:
    And the crowning smash of this huxter is him buying TWO beachfront properties despite his doomsday predictions.

Here's a simple answer to smash this nonsense apart...Can you buy and insure beach front properties,and will insurance companies underwrite long term developments in coastal areas of over 20 years duration? Yes /No??
    Insurance companies spend hundreds of thousands calculating risk on properties and projects,to save themselves and shareholders billions in loss if something happens. They will hardly insure your multi billion beach front condo project or sea town development if they belive it will be under water in 20 years from rising sea levels.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭tudderone

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Yup very much when you have a conman and a phoney like Al Gore assuring us of this happening by 2015,along with 150 dollars barrels of oil,25 dollar loaves of bread,and us growing grapes in Kerry, while paddling our [well-fed], gondolas thru the flooded streets of Dublin.:pac::rolleyes:
    And the crowning smash of this huxter is him buying TWO beachfront properties despite his doomsday predictions.

Here's a simple answer to smash this nonsense apart...Can you buy and insure beach front properties,and will insurance companies underwrite long term developments in coastal areas of over 20 years duration? Yes /No??
    Insurance companies spend hundreds of thousands calculating risk on properties and projects,to save themselves and shareholders billions in loss if something happens. They will hardly insure your multi billion beach front condo project or sea town development if they belive it will be under water in 20 years from rising sea levels.

Don't forget him heading around the world in his private jet plane, burning god-knows how many tons of jet fuel to tell the proles how to behave. As far as i can tell, nearly everything in life is now a con-job or rip-off, all these "Movements" (bowel movements most of them) are a scam. Black lives matter, all very laudable, until you see the wagon who set it up buying a whole string of very nice properties across America.

With any of these things, the first thing to ask yourself is, who is making money out of it ?

Actually my business idea from 2002 was to go around doing assessment on sea front properties at risk............Am I glad I didn't do that one.:rolleyes:

Since a kid I can remember the following ends of the world as near as I can remember in order.

Pollution killing all life...........It is worse now and we are still here.

Nuclear war turning the world into a radioactive oven............We can hope never but keep Joe away from buttons.

Ice age..................still hasn't happened.

Over population.................Nearly doubled now and less people starving.

Burning rainforest......................Hardly any left compared to when they first banged on about it.

Global warming.............At least 40 years old now and nothing happened but was going to happen in 10.

Nuclear winter...............Can't make their feckin minds up whether its cold or hot after a war.

AID's...........Well that one worried everybody but we are still here except for poor Freddie.

Mad cow disease..................Yep she still has it.

Ozone layer.................Now you see it, now you dont. Over 30 years old and still coming and going.

Global warming again...................Still nothing.

^THIS^

But you forgot...
    Acid rain...Dont forget to put on your full rubber gimp suit to go out in a shower of deadly flesh and bone melting sulphuric acid rain in any Irish shower...

Chernoybl turning vast swaths of Europe into an uninhabitable wasteland where all the mushrooms and wild game would be unedible for generations.
    30 years later German mushrooms and wild game ,despite the best efforts to stoke the hysteria,is healthier than ever to eat.Wild boar is tested maybe once in a purple moon anymore for radiation,because of its rooting habits common to swine.

Glaciers melting, not melting, possibly melting, and dooming us all.

Ozone hole in the Antarctic expanding to doom us all. Science is still out whether this is a natural or man-made phenomenon and whether pollution contributes anything to it.

Now its farting cows...Explain this one.Before Europeans settled the US continent there were an estimated half a billion Buffalo and Bison roaming,eating,farting and fertilizeing on the US continent.Thats 4times the size of the US national dairy herd... explain how our cattle herd is a problem?

:rolleyes: Michael Moore being attacked by his own, its delicious. The Chevy Volt being charged by leccy generated by 95% coal............yeah thats green.......................

Acid rain yeah I remember now.

In Ireland there was a news item a month or two back to stop people burning turf and wood.

So we just freeze.

But those people who burn such probably have the lowest carbon footprint or even a zero carbon footprint and they have to find other sources of heating so that a Dub or somebody in the EU can drive a big car and fly off to wherever a few times a year.

Who thinks these ideas up and when will they go back and finish infants school.

• Advertisement

In Ireland there was a news item a month or two back to stop people burning turf and wood.

So we just freeze.

But those people who burn such probably have the lowest carbon footprint or even a zero carbon footprint and they have to find other sources of heating so that a Dub or somebody in the EU can drive a big car and fly off to wherever a few times a year.

There is a family in my nieces school, always agitating for green issues. They were running some project to get the school to do this that and the other to heat and light the place, also they were trying to get Greta Thunberg to come over to Ireland and talk plop, didn't happen.

But the father of the family has a massive Merc saloon, mummy darling has an absolute whopper of a landrover discovery. They have been in trouble with the school for taking the kids out of school too much, as they like to get away to the sun on four, possibly five foreign holidays a year, last time i checked jets run on oil and use quite a bit of it. The whole green thing is horse feathers.

tudderone wrote: »
    Don't forget him heading around the world in his private jet plane, burning god-knows how many tons of jet fuel to tell the proles how to behave. As far as i can tell, nearly everything in life is now a con-job or rip-off, all these "Movements" (bowel movements most of them) are a scam. Black lives matter, all very laudable, until you see the wagon who set it up buying a whole string of very nice properties across America.

With any of these things, the first thing to ask yourself is, who is making money out of it?

Yup...Buying Large Mansions in White areas no less,in good Marxist hypocrisy too.:rolleyes:

Him and Mr Mullett, John Kerry with his 3 private jets and 2 private yachts, who moans that he has to travel with the peasants in 1st class,if and when he deigns it necessary to board such an unworthy mode of transport and is "climate ambassador at large" Trans he is an old buddy of Obbbie and sleepy Joe and they cant give him a post in Govt, so here's a well-paying sucker job to keep him out of harm's way. then this dick has the audacity to lecture to us about flying anywhere. while the rest of these sanctimonious prks jet into some G7 Davros meet up in some exotic location by private jets. Have they never heard of SKYPE or Zoom conference calls?

That's why I call these movements cults...They demand total obedience to the agenda and dogma, they tolerate no dissent and mercilessly punish or destroy those who do or leave their fold. Their leaders are excessively rich and don't live to the standards they set their members, who are usually extremely poor,and unable to reason or see outside a very narrow point of view of their beliefs or religion. They, when their predictions are wrong will excuse or ignore the facts and come up with a new date to assure of their predicted doom, usually far out in the future. Ask any Jehovahs Witness how many times the Rapture is supposed to have occurred in the 20th century,and watch their heads explode.:D

So we just freeze.

Remember this is coming from the same clown who;
    Polishes his specs with his face nappy on RTE this week.

Wanted us to plant cabbages in our window boxes so we would have something to eat in the pandemic.

Wanted rural communities to have a max of 100 cars and car share to go to work.

Was praising wood as a natural heating fuel and being carbon neutral,4 years ago and is now demonising it.

Thinks public transport and bicycling is the solution to everything.

And people voted for this absolute waste of precious oxygen?:eek:

Def...
    No Pubs Hospitality Entertainment or Travel

Remember this is coming from the same clown who;
    Polishes his specs with his face nappy on RTE this week.

Wanted us to plant cabbages in our window boxes so we would have something to eat in the pandemic.

Wanted rural communities to have a max of 100 cars and car share to go to work.

Was praising wood as a natural heating fuel and being carbon neutral,4 years ago and is now demonising it.

Thinks public transport and bicycling is the solution to everything.

And people voted for this absolute waste of precious oxygen?:eek:

I was watching just over a year ago, the labour party in the UK, having the worst election results since the 1930's. That party had been taken over by the extreme left, people who openly admitted they were marxist, or communist. After they got their backsides handed to them, the more rational people decided to get rid of them. Where did these communists go ? Yup, the Green party. They are now pushing for a "Progressive alliance", greenism and marxism all in one lump.

Just watching this flick now, Al Gore doesn't come out of it well at all, or most of these billionares like Richard Branson, Koch brothers etc. It is worth a watch.

Don't forget President Obama said that climate change is real, Man-made and dangerous - just a few years after, he bought an $11.75m mansion in the Hamptons right on the beach at sea level.

Sorry, still on climate - someone probably already posted this, but Obama's guy now criticises skewed climate science reports.

From Climate Discussion Nexus on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UpEoO21OjPo

• Advertisement

Perhaps Danny Healy Rae is correct about climate change or lack of it.

Advertisement