Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Power outages New York, Los Angeles, and San Francisco

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 646 ✭✭✭hungry hypno toad

I'd a brown out the other day, I wasn't expecting it at all, I thought it was just a fart, I thought I was safe. Had to have a shower to clean up the mess.

You need to check out adult nappies. I'm told they are a life saver.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,728 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

They voted to either repeal or replace some of the 8th amendment at the citizens assembly, then the power went out...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

People stuck in elevators? Surely there's some fail safe that if power cuts out theres enoght backup power that the lift can drop back to the previous floor and let people out.. Or is that too much logic for one day.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

TallGlass wrote: »
    People stuck in elevators? Surely there's some fail safe that if power cuts out theres enoght backup power that the lift can drop back to the previous floor and let people out.. Or is that too much logic for one day.

You'd think so, for fire safety at least?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

You'd think so, for fire safety at least?

A sign saying "In case of fire do not use the elevators " is much cheaper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

my3cents wrote: »
    A sign saying "In case of fire do not use the elevators " is much cheaper.

Unless they're already using the elevator when the fire breaks out or is first noticed or I suppose, at the point the power cuts out. Although I'm not sure it would happen like that!

TallGlass wrote: »
    No one will install such a system in US lifts, anything that allows "untrained" users to operate equipment using safety overrides, leave the building owners open to being sued if anything was to go wrong. Ambulance chasers would have a field day if a lift got stuck in a power cut and the users used the override to go to the next floor and something went wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

No one will install such a system in US lifts, anything that allows "untrained" users to operate equipment using safety overrides, leave the building owners open to being sued if anything was to go wrong. Ambulance chasers would have a field day if a lift got stuck in a power cut and the users used the override to go to the next floor and something went wrong.

But there wouldn't be a need for anyone to override anything.

The lift will do it by itself.

The lifts computer notices a power cut, switches the lift over to a mode which, either gose to the floor below or above and opens the doors. It then won't do anything else until if senses normal power has returned.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Enron used to engineer these. Divert power from California to somewhere like New Mexico then re-import it back into another part California.

The power shortages they caused meant they could charge top dollar for the energy they diverted.

Of course it put a lot more power on the long distance links.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Beyondgone

Enron used to engineer these. Divert power from California to somewhere like New Mexico then re-import it back into another part California.

The power shortages they caused meant they could charge top dollar for the energy they diverted.

Of course it put a lot more power on the long distance links.

Sadly, Tower 7 collapsed under its own weight and all those shenanigans got consigned to Davey jones locker. No paper, no proof. On the back of that, and in the spirit of Enron, I'm gonna say "prove that Capt'n Midnight" and ask for links.

• Advertisement

Enron had a history of manipulating the supply such that there was even a film made about their antics, google it as I can't be bothered!

Enron had a history of manipulating the supply such that there was even a film made about their antics, google it as I can't be bothered!

Hearsay.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,269 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

Even Leeroy? I know they say he is bad bad but he's probably just misunderstood/QUOTE]

Yeah, but Leroy wore Trroosers, where's your donald?

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Beyondgone wrote: »
    Hearsay.
    Oh no, it's real. Great podcast I've come across recently called The Dollop (well researched historical stories from US history one friend tells another - both guys are comedians, so it's very entertaining at the same time). Enron literally set up a marketplace where people could sell their leftover bandwidth to other people who needed bandwidth. That makes as little sense as it sounds, the lads were literally making sh*t up as they went! :pac:

47:00 is where they start talking about the electricity, but I really recommend the whole podcast (and the episode 'Tylenol Man' which is just one of the most ridiculous stories of a person you'd ever hear). Brief summary - Enron intentionally overloaded some power lines while refusing to use others to cause all of those 'rolling blackouts' that were on the news in the early 2000s in the US (I remember it most because of speculation if the internet, mobile phones, iPods etc were a sign humanity was using too much electricity)... their reason for this was "because we wanted to - it makes the eyes pop".

Another thing they would do to avoid price caps California had in place on electricity costs (Enron's exact words): "our traders would be able to buy electricity for $250 in California, and then we would sell it to Arizona for $1,200, and then resell it to California for five times that" - end result, $10 worth of electricity is now $600 for absolutely no reason, with Enron upping the costs further when they deliberately book the lines to cause potential blackouts and price gauge.

Can't stress how much people should listen to that podcast to get an idea of just how scummy and brazen Enron and large companies alike can be with this stuff. It is funny at the same time, though!

Billy86 wrote: »
    Oh no, it's real. Great podcast I've come across recently called The Dollop (well researched historical stories from US history one friend tells another - both guys are comedians, so it's very entertaining at the same time). Enron literally set up a marketplace where people could sell their leftover bandwidth to other people who needed bandwidth. That makes as little sense as it sounds, the lads were literally making sh*t up as they went! :pac:

47:00 is where they start talking about the electricity, but I really recommend the whole podcast (and the episode 'Tylenol Man' which is just one of the most ridiculous stories of a person you'd ever hear). Brief summary - Enron intentionally overloaded some power lines while refusing to use others to cause all of those 'rolling blackouts' that were on the news in the early 2000s in the US (I remember it most because of speculation if the internet, mobile phones, iPods etc were a sign humanity was using too much electricity)... their reason for this was "because we wanted to - it makes the eyes pop".

Another thing they would do to avoid price caps California had in place on electricity costs (Enron's exact words): "our traders would be able to buy electricity for $250 in California, and then we would sell it to Arizona for $1,200, and then resell it to California for five times that" - end result, $10 worth of electricity is now $600 for absolutely no reason, with Enron upping the costs further when they deliberately book the lines to cause potential blackouts and price gauge.

Can't stress how much people should listen to that podcast to get an idea of just how scummy and brazen Enron and large companies alike can be with this stuff. It is funny at the same time, though!

Sadly, Tower 7 collapsed because no airplanes hit it. So all that ^. while true, is just hearsay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Sadly, Tower 7 collapsed because no airplanes hit it. So all that ^. while true, is just hearsay.

You do know what hearsay is, right? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,269 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

Wasn't he the Guy who killed the other guys in that documentary called "Debt Wish"

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

No idea. I'm presuming it's a technical term related to getting off the hook?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,069 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Who could ever forget!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring

People who believe 9/11 was not a false flag event. I would tell them watch this video.

It's the video that convinced me of a 9/11 cover up You see stuff in this video that proves the Pentagon attack was staged.

If John Kennedy killing was a conspiracy? We got a secret agenda at play for 60 year's at least, look nobody else besides Oswald was found guilty!

• Advertisement

People who believe 9/11 was not a false flag event. I would tell them watch this video.

It's the video that convinced me of a 9/11 cover up You see stuff in this video that proves the Pentagon attack was staged.

If John Kennedy killing was a conspiracy? We got a secret agenda at play for 60 year's at least, look nobody else besides Oswald was found guilty!

Cheery, I'm with you. Honestly I am. But sadly, there's only one response to your post that will fly, and that's "CT ===>"
    Because X-Factor and did you see the price of rent these days?? :eek:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

If John Kennedy killing was a conspiracy?
    Just in case there is any confusion.

Yes, the CIA shot Kennedy.

But they didn't kill him.

Advertisement