Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best gym in Douglas, Cork

Options
  • 19-04-2017 10:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭

Hey,
    Recently moved from the Northside of the city to Douglas and need to move gyms as it's too much hassle going through the city to use my old gym.
    There are 3 main gyms, Dennehys, Nemo Rangers and Dan Sweeney. Do any people have any experience using any of them? Dennehys looks like the most modern but have heard it's fairly busy. Not sure about the other two.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭livedadream

Ive used all three actually, Dennehys is grand its a straight up gym, loads of classes and cardio equipment and a good weight lifting section- traffic is a ball though...

Nemo i found to be lacking, its a weird layout or something not busy though so if you like its grand, George and Cian are solid though for PT's.

Dan Sweeney for me is the best, his people know their stuff, classes are exceptional (i do spinning classes there, jesus Katie kills but its soo good!) and the equipment is second to none, no cardio equipment though so make sure you dont want a threadmil if you are going.

they've just opened a cafe upstairs as well so will have to see how what changes the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

I think Dennehys is decent value, I've a corporate offer at work so it works out cheaper for me but would recommend the membership that includes classes - in particular the Yoga & Pilates classes are quite good, haven't actually tried any other ones tbh.

It's in a decent location, never any issues with parking & it's handy having tesco or the Topaz nearby if you need to grab something after a workout. It does get busy, but that's the case with most gyms at given times, that said, I tend to go later on at night and they're open until 11 which is quite handy.

Fitnessworx in Tramore Rd would be my recommendation, great equipment (and plenty of it!) and a good vibe in there as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭siblers

D'Agger wrote: »
    I think Dennehys is decent value, I've a corporate offer at work so it works out cheaper for me but would recommend the membership that includes classes - in particular the Yoga & Pilates classes are quite good, haven't actually tried any other ones tbh.

It's in a decent location, never any issues with parking & it's handy having tesco or the Topaz nearby if you need to grab something after a workout. It does get busy, but that's the case with most gyms at given times, that said, I tend to go later on at night and they're open until 11 which is quite handy.

I'd probably be aiming to go later at night (after half 9) does it be very busy around then? I don't mind it being busy as such, It's just a balls when weights/benches aren't free.
    Dan Sweeney for me is the best, his people know their stuff, classes are exceptional (i do spinning classes there, jesus Katie kills but its soo good!) and the equipment is second to none, no cardio equipment though so make sure you dont want a threadmil if you are going.
    I was looking up their gym but I couldn't find much information about their equipment, I know someone going there for PT so will have to ask how she finds it.
    Fitnessworx in Tramore Rd would be my recommendation, great equipment (and plenty of it!) and a good vibe in there as well.
    Not heard of there, will look it up

• Registered Users Posts: 24,585 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Best thing to do is go in and have a look around at a time you'd be going. See if they have a day pass or just say you're interested in joining and just wanted to check it out

• Advertisement

I know Dan Sweeneys let you train to try the place out,
    Dennehys as well.

Dennehys allows a one time free pass you can sign up via their site - it is quiet after half 9, few people around but you should be able to get what you need done with relative ease, that's my experience anyway.

I don't know Dan Sweeneys but the site doesn't seem all that interactive, I like the look of the place from what I did see though.

I went to Dennehys last night using a guest pass, went in at around 9:45pm and it was chaos. Never seen so many people in a gym, by around 10:10 there was only around 6 or 7 people in there. There's some decent equipment there but there's no floor space. Trying to find somewhere to use dumbells/barbells standing up was pretty difficult (even when it quietened down) and everything is on top of each other. Don't think I'll go back.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,585 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

What kind of training you looking to do?

Someone mentioned Fitnessworx amd I've heard that's good for weight training.

siblers wrote: »
    I went to Dennehys last night using a guest pass, went in at around 9:45pm and it was chaos. Never seen so many people in a gym, by around 10:10 there was only around 6 or 7 people in there. There's some decent equipment there but there's no floor space. Trying to find somewhere to use dumbells/barbells standing up was pretty difficult (even when it quietened down) and everything is on top of each other. Don't think I'll go back.

Fair assessment - the best place to work with dumbells is by the rack at the entrance but even then, you'll have people walking across you. I'm happy to do a bit at home with dumbells & kettlebells, I mainly use the gym for bench, squats, deadlift etc. etc.

That said, it is chaotic there at times, I'm hoping it gets a bit quieter heading into summer

• Advertisement

I'd be doing weights, I don't really use machines or cardio equipment apart from rowing machine. I'm gonna try Nemo next week. Seem to have the equipment I need and everyone says its quiet there

siblers wrote: »
    I'd be doing weights, I don't really use machines or cardio equipment apart from rowing machine. I'm gonna try Nemo next week. Seem to have the equipment I need and everyone says its quiet there

Cian and George are sound as well... not my scene but worth a try if your looking for somewhere quieter

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭JesusRef

Some other places that would be a short spin from you.

Powerlifting - Cork Strength and Performance centre on the Monahan road
    Olympic lifts - Cork Weight lifting club Marina
    (both near Pairc Ui Caoimh)

Crossfit Return - Dosco industrial estate
    Crossfit Leeside - near the Kinsale road roundabout
    Oakgrove S&C - Mahon

Churchfit is a new place that looks like the coolest gym in the world - near sundays well so a bit of a spin

Can recommend Oakgrove having had classes there - good space & has everything you'd need for a good workout. I was there for classes twice per week and loved it, however - there are classes on there quite a bit so no idea what it's like for individual members using it, if it's blocked off etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭BadBannana

D'Agger wrote: »
    Can recommend Oakgrove having had classes there - good space & has everything you'd need for a good workout. I was there for classes twice per week and loved it, however - there are classes on there quite a bit so no idea what it's like for individual members using it, if it's blocked off etc.

Oakgrove has possibly one of the best set ups for weights outside of the places by the Marina. If there's classes on you're not allowed in and they're closed on Fridays but there's six or seven squat racks and a bunch of half racks plus about a tonne of plates and bars basically untouched when there's no classes on

Just to follow on from this. I ended up joining Resolution down in Nemo Rangers. Superb gym, very relaxed in there and very good equipment. Even when it's busy, it's never any hassle getting to use the equipment you need and there's never any rudeness etc. Noise levels are low in there too, I remember when I went into Dennehys and I may as well have walked into a night club, much different vibe in Resolution.

Advertisement