Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Undercharged

Options
  • 17-04-2017 5:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭

I bought a pair of headphones at the weekend and a big retailer only charged me 90c instead of 90euro. However i saw today the balance of the money was taken in another transaction. Can retailers do this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭freeze4real

yes they can

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭talkingpj

yes they can

How can they take a make a second transaction without my consent.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

OP thread moved to consumer issues, should get the advice you need here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

Did you buy them online or in a shop? I'm guessing you paid by card?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

talkingpj wrote: »
    I bought a pair of headphones at the weekend and a big retailer only charged me 90c instead of 90euro. However i saw today the balance of the money was taken in another transaction. Can retailers do this?

Were you aware of the mistake in the price at the time of paying for it at the till?

Did they enter the amount manually or scan the item and the wrong price came up?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

If you presented your card in payment of 90 Euro, is that not the authorisation they need?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

How can they take a make a second transaction without my consent.

You presumably gave your card or card details to pay the €90, that's consent in any court of law.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭nhunter100

talkingpj wrote:

You got your 90 euro headphones for 90 euro, what's the problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

How can a retailer re-use card details?

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Probably best to talk to your bank.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭ssmith6287

chuckles30 wrote: »

because you gave the retailer your card details to purchase goods... what is the problem here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Do people realise OP authorised one transaction, however the shop carried out two.

No matter how big the error, that can't be right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Do people realise OP authorised one transaction, however the shop carried out two.

He authorised 90€
    I'm sure they'll give back the 90c

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭Homer

Are you asking is it legal for them to make two transactions on your card or trying to weasel out of paying for what you got?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Meh, he gave so few details that it's impossible to judge. We don't even know if it was online or instore. He/she obviously isn't that bothered about it, no point everyone else trying to speculate.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Was it an in store transaction or an online one??

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭bbari

Would OP have any issue if the same store had over charged and refunded (without asking) in the second transaction ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

Of course we do but come on, it's 90 cent extra he got charged. It's hardly going to break the bank and I am sure they'd refund if he really wants that.

He got his product for the price he consented to pay....really not seeing the big problem here.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Treepole

I'd imagine his concern is the fact that store could just charge an amount to his card in a separate transaction without any interaction on his part.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,176 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Of course we do but come on, it's 90 cent extra he got charged. It's hardly going to break the bank and I am sure they'd refund if he really wants that.

OP says they took the balance of the money - he wasn't overcharged, but charged twice (first charge 90, second charge €89.10) and presumably is wondering whether it's above board that his card details were reused without his consent. I took his question to be a query about the legality/security/ethics of taking payment to rectify the mistake, but not taking steps to let him know they had done so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

ssmith6287 wrote: »
    because you gave the retailer your card details to purchase goods... what is the problem here?

If I go into a shop and put my card in the machine & enter my pin, my understanding is that the retailer cannot re-use those details for further transactions. Am I missing something here?

Even when I've returned items, I have to enter my pin to process a refund.

Same goes for online shopping - I don't believe they can come back and charge a second transaction to the same card. **

If it is the case that anyone can come back and charge additional transactions, sure fraud would be widespread.

**I know there are two obvious exceptions - car hire and hotels - but in those cases I know I've provided pre-approval for charges

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

If I go into a shop and put my card in the machine & enter my pin, my understanding is that the retailer cannot re-use those details for further transactions. Am I missing something here?

Same goes for online shopping - I don't believe they can come back and charge a second transaction to the same card. **

If it is the case that anyone can come back and charge additional transactions, sure fraud would be widespread.

**I know there are two obvious exceptions - car hire and hotels - but in those cases I know I've provided pre-approval for charges

Or another way of looking at it is you were offered an item for 90 euro. You accepted the offer and then gave consent to charge your card 90 euro. This is what has occured.

Who says it has to be done in a single transaction?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Car hire companies can charge your card, after the event, if there are additional costs due to damage etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭AlanG

Once they have your card number they can process the charge - many US cards still don't have chip and pin. The PIN is really to protect the store from clone cards, lots of retailers still take credit card payments over the phone with no PIN. If they charged you incorrectly without a PIN you would easily get the bank to take your side if you raise a dispute. In this case they have used your details as they are legally allowed to do. You can raise a dispute but you will be wasting your time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭xabi

Car hire companies can charge your card, after the event, if there are additional costs due to damage etc.

Thats different as you give pre-approval to charge after the event, same with Hotels, covers damage, speeding tickets, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

xabi wrote: »
    Thats different as you give pre-approval to charge after the event, same with Hotels, covers damage, speeding tickets, etc.

And has the OP looked at the T&Cs when he made his transaction??

This is a non-issue.

xabi wrote: »

How is it different? Op agreed to pay €90, paid that. Strange when he/she was only charged 90cent they didn't point it out to the till operator TBH, obviously op was aware of the mistake when they were keeping an eye on their balance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭ssmith6287

when you pay for something on a card 2 receipts are printed. 1 for customer, 1 for retailer or seller. the retailers will have your full card number. As far as I know and im no expert but for auditing purposes do retailers need to keep these on file for a number of years. the only issue I would have in your shoes is if the price paid wasn't on the receipt you were given eg. you pay 90c, the receipt from the store (not eft) shows you paid 90c and then they take the remaining balance. If you were to return the item the retailer could possibly argue that you only paid 90 cent

ssmith6287 wrote: »
    If you were to return the item the retailer could possibly argue that you only paid 90 cent

No they couldnt because it's on his bank statement, op can just bring that with him/her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Treepole wrote: »
    I'd imagine his concern is the fact that store could just charge an amount to his card in a separate transaction without any interaction on his part.
    I think everyone understood this, and are just doing the usual stupid game you see in this forum, feigning ignorance/confusion -while I guess in most cases if their friend or colleague asked them the same question in real life there is no way in hell they would answer in the same manner. It's getting tiresome at this stage.

OP asked a question
    Can retailers do this?
    seems they can, but I am interested to know in what cases and is there any way you could prevent it. Many seem to presume the OP is a scammer and treating him with disdain, I am curious to know what happens if the shop scams you, has headphones on display for say €20, you buy for €20 and later you see another payment taken and the shop claims the price tag was €50 all along.

Advertisement