Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Largest Non-Nuclear Bomb in world dropped on Afghanistan

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 903 ✭✭✭MysticMonk

voz es wrote: »
    I wonder why they spray bombs, not many who see them are going to be commenting on their colour.

So they don't balls up and load up the wrong object.

As far as i know most munitions are colour coded,armour piercing,high explosive etc etc. You don't want to fire HE at a tank

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

josip wrote: »
    Sorry, I'm not being clear.
    I think it's $300m they've spent on 15 bombs and the additional cost per bomb is $16m? Let's say $20m to include the cost of storage and delivery.

In my simplistic view of the world, their 1 big explosion so far has cost them $300m.
    If they drop another one, then each explosion will have cost $150m.
    The more they drop the closer they get to their additional unit cost of $20m per bomb.
    Which is why I think 'they' become better value the more you drop.

suppose i can kinda get what you're saying when you put it that way alright!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

It was a fairly precision strike for such a large weapon going by the video,
    Wonder if they will release a wider view to see how far the explosion went into the cave network

• Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Carlos Orange

So now that we hear there weren't mass casualties of civilians and it wasn't as big as Hiroshima and was actually pretty small overall, we start complaining about the cost per terrorist killed?

Were there supposed to be mass civilian casualties or something? One of the articles I read said local civilians were warned of the bombing ahead of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,055 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Gatling wrote: »
    It was a fairly precision strike for such a large weapon going by the video,
    Wonder if they will release a wider view to see how far the explosion went into the cave network
    Precision. :D
    Anyone remember similar huge bombs called "daisy cutters" that were going to take out Bin Laden?
    In the end it took an informer and a big fat reward to track him down to Pakistan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

Depp wrote: »
    Also the reason this base was chosen is its one of the main manafacturing centres for roadside ieds used by is in iraq & afghanistan. Felt safe to stockpile resources/bombmaking experts there as to 99% of other attacks and the cave complex would have been nigh on impenetrable

It makes sense, imo.

OP how are you feeling or thinking in light of the latest information?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,104 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Supposed location of the bombing per Twitter. Matches pretty well to the video.

click

psinno wrote: »
    Were there supposed to be mass civilian casualties or something? One of the articles I read said local civilians were warned of the bombing ahead of time.

Go back to the first couple of pages of this thread. You'd swear those mountains were downtown Kabul.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

Go back to the first couple of pages of this thread. You'd swear those mountains were downtown Kabul.

You would swear it was here article-2215793-156EDA2C000005DC-987_964x650.jpg To be honest it was a wasted effort and ISIS did a subside attack in Kabul today.

Precision. :D
    Anyone remember similar huge bombs called "daisy cutters" that were going to take out Bin Laden.

Daisy cutters aren't huge mainly used to clear tress ,

But they got bin laden in the end didn't they

Ah well.

Didn't russia use precision weapons in Syria and managed to hit Iran instead

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

The youtube comments section is always good for a laugh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭Autonomous Cowherd

Anyone wondering if I have fallen for the Eros of the mega bomb, uh no, read my earlier explanations of my response to it. No Easter conversions...

Didn't russia use precision weapons in Syria and managed to hit Iran instead
    According to US "officials" .... and the dutiful media loved it. :)
    But they got bin laden in the end didn't they
    yeah, all it cost was a suitcase stuffed with dollars, I wonder how much all those daisy cutters cost US taxpayers?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

It makes sense, imo.

OP how are you feeling or thinking in light of the latest information?

yeah, all it cost was a suitcase stuffed with dollars, I wonder how much all those daisy cutters cost US taxpayers?

And they can't even look after their own poor and needy people. Let's try out this mega bomb and see what happens...

It was actually a protracted surveillance operation which identified his personal courier from info gathered together from various interrogations, finding the courier, following him to bin ladens compound, then staking out the compound till confirmation of his presence there could be found. No-one grassed bin laden for a bag of cash. In all likelihood it cost far more than the 16 million pricetag of this bomb.

C9T2jgkXYAA93cp.jpg

Largest non-nuclear bomb in the world, but classified as a small nuke apparently

Not posting this to call out Digital Solitude but feel its important to clarify that all of these claims have proven to be gigantic exaggerations or just flat out lies.
    Again not calling out anyone just the info, which is false. Outside of a mile from the blast other than a slight possibility of shattered glass or knocking stuff over the worst you can expect is hearing a loud bang and for any ear bleeding you would need to be well within a mile.

Iranian media Reported it too but what would they know

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,852 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

ilkhanid wrote: »
    The USA spends a fair bit of money on "heart-and-minds" activities.
    "30 % (of American and international assistance) has been spent on projects related to governance and development and humanitarian assistance.
    These projects include programs to strengthen the local justice system of courts and prisons, expand power generation and transmission, build roads and railways, provide basic education, literacy, and technical ,vocational education and ttraining that aims to deliver basic education to communities that the government cannot reach, and administer ..health services that aim to pride primary care and hospital services".
    http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2015/06/18/415353782/afghan-schools-is-the-success-story-exaggerated
    You can't win hearts and minds by throwing money at a wall. If it drives up prices and doesn't trickle down the it may even be counter productive.

The U.S. has spent more than $100 billion on rebuilding in Afghanistan, and of that, $769 million has gone to the Afghan education system, which means the education funding has been less than 1 percent of the overall U.S. aid. All those numbers are dwarfed by the sums the U.S. military spent fighting the war in Afghanistan.

http://america.aljazeera.com/watch/shows/compass/articles/2015/6/17/john-sopko-sigar.html
    What impact does it have in the minds of Afghans when the United States said it would build a health clinic but then the health clinic doesn’t materialize?

It leaves a bitter taste in their mouths. Particularly if the contractor who did the job is somehow connected with a local warlord or a local government official, which we find in many cases.

$113.1 Bn spent, education got less than 0.8%. Very little got to Clinics and Schools schools and even then lots of fraud.

https://www.sigar.mil/pdf/quarterlyreports/2017-01-30qr-section3-economic.pdf
    As of December 19, 2016, Afghanistan’s Attorney General’s Offce (AGO) has
    not acted on the 114 Kabul Bank-related cases currently referred to it. ... $987 million stolen
    from Kabul Bank,
    USAID had disbursed approximately $883 million for
    education programs in Afghanistan, as of December 31, 2016
    The World Bank reported that only about half of all registered schools
    in Afghanistan have proper buildings, and only 55% of teachers me
    An Independent Joint Anti-Corruption
    Monitoring and Evaluation Committee
    assessment found that despite some successes, EQUIP has failed to meet its overall
    goals since it began in 2004. The program
    suffers from poor planning, weak monitoring, and ineffective coordination among
    implementers that has caused 30–40% of
    funds to be misused, schools to be poorly
    constructed, and students to be inadequately educated.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 106 ✭✭Luggnuts

Do these things arouse you somehow?

Luggnuts wrote: »
    Do these things arouse you somehow?
    Trump to Putin: ".... mine is bigger than yours! ..."

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭9or10

My single contribution is that I'm sickened by the name.

Even the fcukin BBC is using the acronym.

At least they didn't use one of those heinous barrel-bombs that that monster Assad is accused of dropping.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

Didn't know Irish people became such pacifists

9or10 wrote: »
    My single contribution is that I'm sickened by the name.

Even the fcukin BBC is using the acronym.

the acronym actually stands for Massive Ordnance Air Blast, the mother of all bombs thing is a nickname and not an official designation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭9or10

Depp wrote: »
    the acronym actually stands for Massive Ordnance Air Blast, the mother of all bombs thing is a nickname and not an official designation

Thanks. Then my work is done.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 172 ✭✭Dubh Linn

IS have now said that there are no casualties on their side, which imo is like saying the sky is purple.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 242 ✭✭PREG1967

Dubh Linn wrote: »
    IS have now said that there are no casualties on their side, which imo is like saying the sky is purple.
    the irish invented the car bomb, we called it buma
    http://www.historyireland.com/20th-century-contemporary-history/car-bombs/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 172 ✭✭Dubh Linn

Yes but how can there be no IS casualties? Was the only casualty in this strike the ground and the sand and rocks?

Dropping a $300 million bomb on a shack isn't going to change the trend that Afghan farmers are winning this war. The US should just get out and join the ignominious list of empires that tried to conquer Afghanistan and were defeated.

• Advertisement

Luggnuts wrote: »
    Dropping a $300 million* bomb on a shack* isn't going to change the trend that Afghan farmers are winning this war. The US should just get out and join the ignominious list of empires that tried to conquer Afghanistan and were defeated.

*16 million. *Cave network that housed a highly productive ied building location.

Advertisement