Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kimchi

Options
  • 11-04-2017 5:13am

Feckin delicious! I finally got around to eating it recently and now I add it to the side of loads of dishes. Thought it was unhealthy so was gonna cut back and then today, read up and found out it's like a superfood.

Any fans of this mad cabbage from Korea?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

It's alright. Stupid but I really struggle mentally with it being a 'fermented' cabbage. Whenever I have it I'm like this tastes nice but it was....fermented....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

Had it once on chips in a place in dublin called Bread and Bones. I was a bit wary as well of tge fermented bit but it was very yum. Haven't seen it anywhere in Ireland since but then I haven't been to any Japanese restaurants either.

I've been eating many different cuisines this week so will keep an eye of for it. Though I think greek is on the cards for lunch today.

Edit: heh, Korean restaurants even. Said it right there in the OP. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

There's a restaurant called 'Kimchi' on Parnell Street. They have both kimchi and fresh kimchi.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

I really like it but not sure it needs a thread, it's only cabbage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

There's a restaurant called 'Kimchi' on Parnell Street. They have both kimchi and fresh kimchi.

That's some selection they have.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

Absolutely love it, but it's a bit hard to get. Asian shops have it in tins, but it's not the bet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Kim Jong Un?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

I really like it but not sure it needs a thread, it's only cabbage

Don't be a sauerkraut about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭gitane007

Was out in Nolan's in Clontarf there the other week, ye can get jars of it there made by some crowd in Cork. Looks alright too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,523 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

gitane007 wrote: »
    Was out in Nolan's in Clontarf there the other week, ye can get jars of it there made by some crowd in Cork. Looks alright too.

Yeah, saw some jars of it in the "artisan" section of Supervalu.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭Glenster

Used to be a spot in the epicurean food hall on liffey street that used to do a decent bimibap with kimchi.

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

OP how could you think that cabbage was unhealthy?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,585 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Used to love it and eat it regularly until (through my own fault really) it gave me a truly awful case of stomach poisoning.

Can't stand even the smell of it since.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,887 ✭✭✭gifted

It's a pure nightmare trying to get a Kimchi patch doll....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

It's alright. Stupid but I really struggle mentally with it being a 'fermented' cabbage. Whenever I have it I'm like this tastes nice but it was....fermented....

Never tried the cabbage - but I've really gotten to like the taste of fermented milk (Kefir) I've been making gallons of the stuff and gulp down a big glass or two every day.
    Supposedly it will make me live forever, if I add the cabbage I'd probably get x-ray vision or something like that:D
    Who knew bacteria shíte was so tasty!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,523 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Perhaps run ins with the deep fried variety?

Dunno. I just figured they made it with some unhealthy stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Dunno. I just figured they made it with some unhealthy stuff.

Diesel?

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Narkydonkey Whattado

Do you experience the same struggles when you drink wine, Canis Lupus? How about beer? Yogurt? Pu-erh tea? Buttermilk? Cheese? ;) They've all been fermented as well!

I'm absolutely mad about fermenting stuff. At any given time there is something fermenting in my kitchen. Usually cucumbers, courgettes, cabbage, cauliflower, tomatoes - any vegetable, really. I've never made any wine or beer, but I often make ginger ale and kombucha. I also make my own sourdough starter, which I use to bake sourdough bread.

There's something magical about the process of fermenting food. It's super easy, takes only about 7 days, and the way the taste and smell of the food changes from one day to another is just incredible.

If you like kimchi enough to start a thread about it, OP, you should make your own pickles - you're gonna love it!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

I get kimchi in the Asian supermarket. I love the stuff, but haven't tried making it yet.
    It's on the to do list.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Feckin delicious! I finally got around to eating it recently and now I add it to the side of loads of dishes. Thought it was unhealthy so was gonna cut back and then today, read up and found out it's like a superfood.

Aye, is is pretty nice stuff. I dunno about the superfood part, most of that is marketing BS. But it does taste nice, no doubt about it. Pretty handy dish to cook for one, which is a plus.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 106 ✭✭Luggnuts

Whoever you are...I love you.

This acrid spicy pickled cabbage is the stuff of GODS. Most Koreans are actually physically addicted to it. It is awesome. I get jars and chill them and then eat it while watching telly and I rub it all around my gums. It is probably the healthiest food on earth.

But you do realise that fermented means that it kills all the bad bacteria in your gut?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭please helpThank YOU

Kim Jong Un?
    :):D

Had it once on chips in a place in dublin called Bread and Bones. I was a bit wary as well of tge fermented bit but it was very yum. Haven't seen it anywhere in Ireland since but then I haven't been to any Japanese restaurants either.

I've been eating many different cuisines this week so will keep an eye of for it. Though I think greek is on the cards for lunch today.

Edit: heh, Korean restaurants even. Said it right there in the OP. :rolleyes:

You can get it in the Chinese supermarkets in and around Capel Street. Get the probiotic stuff in jars or tubs....you will never EVER get the flu again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,300 ✭✭✭Quandary

Luggnuts wrote: »
    Whoever you are...I love you.

This acrid spicy pickled cabbage is the stuff of GODS. Most Koreans are actually physically addicted to it. It is awesome. I get jars and chill them and then eat it while watching telly and I rub it all around my gums. It is probably the healthiest food on earth.

Nice save...

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭Academic

When I was a graduate student, I knew a fellow student who was married to a Korean woman; they lived a couple of apartments away from me. They made their own Kimchi; buried it in the ground outside their apartment in a glass jar.

I’ve never forgotten the stench when they dug it up and opened it. Permanently put me off the stuff.

Some things you just can’t forget …

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

Academic wrote: »
    When I was a graduate student, I knew a fellow student who was married to a Korean woman; they lived a couple of apartments away from me. They made their own Kimchi; buried it in the ground outside their apartment in a glass jar.

I’ve never forgotten the stench when they dug it up and opened it. Permanently put me off the stuff.

Some things you just can’t forget …

Yeah, that wasn't kimchi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Beyondgone

Is it not just Asian sauerkraut? I love sauerkraut.. superfood..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

Its the new hummous or something.

Advertisement