Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How many condom machines are there out there that just don't work?

Options
  • 08-04-2017 7:29pm
    Site Banned Posts: 32

Anyone else ever put money into a condom machine, to realise it doesn't work. Since it happened me twice, there's probably a lot of machines out there like this, that everyone's too embarrassed to complain about. Recently went back to the last machine I remembered that did work, and the sell by date was 3 years old, which would've been around the last time I used it!

I worked in centra about a year ago, and this one dude went to buy condoms off me, and they wouldn't scan. A bit of a queue began to form as I had to awkwardly call for help. When the other cashier arrived, it even took him a while to computer code scanning thing. It's at times like this I know there's a God. It was then I said to myself "that's it; texco self check out for me!"

Reminds me of another awkward story I'd recently, as a dude returning a badly designed point tweezers (€6!!!), that had rather rounded tips! How are rounded tips supposed to grab a hair. The lady was quite reluctant, and after saying "so this is for plucking hairs" she then consulted ANOTHER lady, insisting that I'd need the packaging too... which you need to cut with a scissors to open! Managed to return it in the end! It was almost as if she was hoping I'd be too embarrassed to put up a fight!

Rant over!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Yeah in my youth I remember quite a few condom machine swallowing coins and that be that. Then just started going to the pharmacy , buying them there and strategically hide them in my wallet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

I've asked around OP. There are currently 102 condom/Wrigley's Extra machines with faults relating to the distribution of said condoms/Wrigley's Extra.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

Thinly veiled... I've got large denomination coins or something braggy like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭Alf Stewart.

I just buy mine in Tesco or even Aldi. (Rubber is rubber, right?)

No embarrassment from me whatsoever.

I just buy mine in Tesco or even Aldi.

No embarrassment from me whatsoever.

You can still get it up Alf?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭Alf Stewart.

Pac1Man wrote: »
    You can still get it up Alf?

Yup.

Ask yer ma if you don't believe me

Yup.

Ask yer ma if you don't believe me

Shame. What would Ailsa say?

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭pat k

Hey O.P
    Did you not see the sign on the machine ?? usually on the side of machine , regarding refunds ... it says ..... :):) for refund insert Baby ! LOL. :):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭Ted111

What would Ailsa say?

Flamin Galah! Struth, ya mongral.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I'd rather a broker condom machine, than a broken condom.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Is this a stealth brag thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,391 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Are people still embarrassed buying these things?

I thought we had moved on from the 90s?

• Site Banned Posts: 32 NeverTheLess

murpho999 wrote: »
    Are people still embarrassed buying these things?

I thought we had moved on from the 90s?
    People will always sense, or suspect other people's thoughts. The judgement...

Lisa: "Would you believe, he bought condoms the other day! Who could he be banging?
    Jim: "I wouldn't have thought he'd be................. ah, I'd say she's not hot whoever she is!"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭recyclebin

They have them locked in security cases in Tesco. The checkout girl seemed to be more embarrassed having to open the case to sell them :pac:

recyclebin wrote: »
    They have them locked in security cases in Tesco. The checkout girl seemed to be more embarrassed having to open the case to sell them :pac:
    that's not a great joke!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,033 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Just be hopeful that it's only the machine that doesn't work...

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭9or10

OP just use cling film its just as good and a roll will last ages. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

Its a valid point about them not working.
    Them ****ty spring loaded manual ones.
    Never ever put your money in.
    At least with the electronic ones you have a fair idea if its working.
    Although, sure even if you asked for your money back theyd let on they dont have the key its not their machine etc...

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,061 ✭✭✭✭beertons

I had about 30 of them at one stage, in hotels and pubs. They were a gold mine. A fiver for 3 Jon bon jovi's. You'd buy them for 70 cents. The reject button didn't work, money went straight into the coin box. Cha ching. And a lad lost money in it, he'd be too embarrassed to tell a barman and try get a refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Those yokes are for dirty sailors

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,198 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

I used to stock these years ago, the unreliability of the machines, and the ease of which they "broke" helped me through college!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭DivingDuck

I just realised I'm more of a snob than I ever imagined.

I've no problem buying food/tools/even clothes in Aldi, but the prospect of buying condoms there sent a cold shiver down my spine.

I've bought a few work jumpers in there over the years, and I notice they develop holes awfully fast. In a jumper, not the end of the world. In a condom...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,553 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

My condom machine story is being in a deserted pub with my then girlfriend, whose dad was the man behind the bar.

I went to the toilet and took the chance to buy some from the machine. Even as I was buying them, I thought the clinking of coins was fairly loud and reverberating a bit, but when I went back out my girlfriend was beetroot red and said she could hear the whole thing. Her dad was a bit deaf in fairness, and she said he showed no reaction whatsoever, then or afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,357 ✭✭✭corner of hells

DivingDuck wrote: »

I just realised I'm more of a snob than I ever imagined.

I've no problem buying food/tools/even clothes in Aldi, but the prospect of buying condoms there sent a cold shiver down my spine.

I've bought a few work jumpers in there over the years, and I notice they develop holes awfully fast. In a jumper, not the end of the world. In a condom...

You couldn't be using the same condom more than once ?

I get wearing the jumper more than once and it getting a hole in it , but not the condom .

osarusan wrote: »
    My condom machine story is being in a deserted pub with my then girlfriend, whose dad was the man behind the bar.

I went to the toilet and took the chance to buy some from the machine. Even as I was buying them, I thought the clinking of coins was fairly loud and reverberating a bit, but when I went back out my girlfriend was beetroot red and said she could hear the whole thing. Her dad was a bit deaf in fairness, and she said he showed no reaction whatsoever, then or afterwards.
    she heard the coins from outside? What? Or do you mean that she heard the cursing when you realised the condoms wouldn't come out?

I used to stock these years ago, the unreliability of the machines, and the ease of which they "broke" helped me through college!
    is it too late to get on that bandwagon?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,553 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

she heard the coins from outside? What? Or do you mean that she heard the cursing when you realised the condoms wouldn't come out?
    She heard the clink of coins, the first one...then a pause as I contemplated how loud it had been...then 2 clinks in quick succession as I said 'f**k it just buy them'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

DivingDuck wrote: »
    If you think buying condoms in Aldi is bad, you can also buy them in Dealz!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,123 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Live on the edge OP. Go commando and hope for the best.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

Shame. What would Ailsa say?

Boo!

Advertisement