Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New €50 Notes out - Tuesday 4th of April

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,776 ✭✭✭SeanW

topper75 wrote: »
    Should Britain ever have been on euro notes though?

Yes, for two reasons:
    • Trivial reason: The Euro architects intended the UK to join the Euro eventually. That's why you never see Euro note serial numbers starting with "A". The letter A was reserved for the Bank of England when the UK joined the Euro.
    • Substantial reason: Up until now, the Euro notes printed the land map of Europe, including non-Eurozone countries such as those in Eastern Europe, and non-EU countries such as Russia, Iceland, Norway, Switzerland and so on. I haven't see the new 50s yet, but if its true that Britain has been removed while other non-Eurozone, non-EU states are still represented, then:
      1. The note designs were redrafted after June of last year.
      2. The EU/ECB is behaving like puerile, sore losers.

Though I think it's OK to point out that when you get the new bills, you can follow them (and your other cash) over at EBT:
    banner1.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

SeanW wrote: »
    Yes, for two reasons:
    • Trivial reason: The Euro architects intended the UK to join the Euro eventually. That's why you never see Euro note serial numbers starting with "A". The letter A was reserved for the Bank of England when the UK joined the Euro.
    • Substantial reason: Up until now, the Euro notes printed the land map of Europe, including non-Eurozone countries such as those in Eastern Europe, and non-EU countries such as Russia, Iceland, Norway, Switzerland and so on. I haven't see the new 50s yet, but if its true that Britain has been removed while other non-Eurozone, non-EU states are still represented, then:
      1. The note designs were redrafted after June of last year.
      2. The EU/ECB is behaving like puerile, sore losers.

Though I think it's OK to point out that when you get the new bills, you can follow them (and your other cash) over at EBT:
    banner1.jpg
    The map is unchanged, as it's a map of Europe, not the Euro zone nor the EU.

And the reserved serial number prefix for the UK is J. A was for the printing works.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Beyondgone

I thought the 20 was already changed, or are they going through them all again?

When the girl in the deli "tests" your tenner to see if it's bogey, you know they have taken in loads of bogey tenners and her manager is gone whingey. So they must be faking off loads of euros. Tenners, twenties and fifties. No one seems bothered faking the €30 note for some reason. It ought to be the template for all the others.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,776 ✭✭✭SeanW

The map is unchanged, as it's a map of Europe, not the Euro zone nor the EU.

And the reserved serial number prefix for the UK is J. A was for the printing works.
    As I expected, I had been responding to claims starting with dan1895 above that the UK had been taken of the Euro note maps of Europe.

I take a dim of the European Union these days, but logically such a change would be too pathetic and childish, even for them. Not to mention difficult as it would most likely take more than 1 year to design a new template and print all new notes from it.

As for the country code, fair cop. A was to be the Printer Code for the 2002 series notes printed by the Bank of England printing works while J was to be the country/serial code for the United Kingdom.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Beyondgone wrote: »
    When the girl in the deli "tests" your tenner to see if it's bogey, you know they have taken in loads of bogey tenners and her manager is gone whingey. So they must be faking off loads of euros. Tenners, twenties and fifties. No one seems bothered faking the €30 note for some reason. It ought to be the template for all the others.

I used to work with cash. It's good to get in the habit of checking every note you receive.

But with regards to my comment you responded to. The 20 euro note was only changed a couple of years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,843 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Beyondgone wrote: »
    No one seems bothered faking the €30 note for some reason. It ought to be the template for all the others.
    Terrible things.
    when someone asks for change for one I never know whether to give them a pair of fifteens or five sixes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Commotion Ocean

I withdrew some money from the ATM to put into my post office savings account, I got it all in fresh, new fifties, the only problem with the new bastard notes is that they stick together like the clasp on a Jew's purse, meaning you could be handing over two at a time without knowing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭fatknacker

dan1895 wrote: »
    Britain has been removed from the map of Europe on the back.

The EU's equivalent of deleting an ex's number from your phone and moving on.

#DoinJustFineWidoutU

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

At this point I'd like to clarify that I was joking but the way the world has gone I understand why some would have believed the removal of Britain from the notes to be true.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

I withdrew some money from the ATM to put into my post office savings account, I got it all in fresh, new fifties, the only problem with the new bastard notes is that they stick together like the clasp on a Jew's purse, meaning you could be handing over two at a time without knowing it.

Rich **** with more than 1 fifty...

• Advertisement
Advertisement