Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who's working class? Rather!

Options
  • 03-04-2017 10:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭

Have I got News for You reference aside I find this an ineresting one and a side discussion in a recent thread I though deserves it's own thread.

What do you see and working class and middle class?

For me it's not money it's education and profession. Middle class people tend to fall into the traditional professions like Lawyers, Doctors etc. I also think that it's shifted drastically over the last few years, a degree now for example can be a requirement for a skilled working class job, previously a degree almost always put you in a middle class profession.

This isn't a dig or a reason to get one's nose out of joint. I think it's an interesting topic of conversation. Working class and proud of it, to the point fo being a bit of an inverted snob.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭marketty

If more working class people realised that they are in fact working class, things would be a lot better in this country. A lot of people are of the belief that the working class don't work, and that the degree educated average earners are automatically middle class. This perception of themselves as upwardly mobile young go getters just plays into the hands of politicians and others who want us all to believe that the poor are lazy scum and the cause of all the countries problems

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,335 ✭✭✭bladespin

This is Ireland, there is no class system here, or rather we would all be considered working class (apart from people's imagination), income brackets would be a better grouping.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

bladespin wrote: »
    This is Ireland, there is no class system here, or rather we would all be considered working class (apart from people's imagination), income brackets would be a better grouping.

I completely disagree here. Income is not really related to where you fit in. I'm way happier in Kilbarrack than I would be in Sandymount for example.

I completely disagree here. Income is not really related to where you fit in. I'm way happier in Kilbarrack than I would be in Sandymount for example.

I wasn't suggesting that tbh sorry, just that if you 'want' to generalize groups then that might be a better way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭Glenster

Working Class - Paid Weekly

Middle Class - Paid Monthly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

I am working.
    And I am class. Pure class.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭mikemac2

A farmer is a landowner and a labourer

Find a class for that ha :pac:

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

Maybe in their imagination, but we all know ;)

• Advertisement

mikemac2 wrote: »
    A farmer is a landowner and a labourer

Find a class for that ha :pac:

Landed gentry?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Who is this Rather that is working class?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Glenster wrote: »
    Working Class - Paid Weekly

Middle Class - Paid Monthly

so.. the Paid Fortnightly are the Working Middle?

biko wrote: »
    Who is this Rather that is working class?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Working class people don't work from what I gather.

Take it easy!

Omackeral wrote: »
    Working class people don't work from what I gather.

Take it easy!

That's one of my issues with the old class system is this is not someone who is working class. An overiding facet of the 'working class' IMO is the work ethic.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

What do you see and working class and middle class?

The criterion that Permabear quoted are a good measure of the different classes that could be applied to any society, not just British or Irish society, as they take into account some of the factors that influence class, social mobility, and equity of opportunity. They consider social, cultural and economic factors, but I would add three more to that list to suggest that political, geographical and technological factors also influence social class, social mobility (upwards as well as downgraded), and equity of opportunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Ok now this is an interesting one - I'd never have linked the 'acceptability' or 'likelihood' of choosing certain names for one's kids with socioeconomic class. If your view is a widely held one and has correlations, that's pretty fascinating. Even more so since you've chosen Gaeilge names - can you think of any names as Gaeilge which you would associate with lower socioeconomic classes or is choosing names in the native language something restricted to the middle / upper classes? And if so, how did this come about, where did such a division originate?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

That's one of my issues with the old class system is this is not someone who is working class. An overiding facet of the 'working class' IMO is the work ethic.

Working class people I knew growing up worked harder than anyone I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭Irish Praetorian

I don't think he's shouting 'rather' I think he's saying 'Bravo!', which sort of makes more sense.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

Also if your kids are called Nollaig and Grannia and you refuse to shop at Lidl you're probably in the same bracket.

Anyone else not care about whether they're considered working/middle/upper class? Once I've enough money to come and go as I please I'm happy, don't care if the neighbours think they're better than me. Go back a few generations and we're all descended from a mixture of people who in their time would have been considered lower, middle, upper class etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

I'd probably be what you could call "middle class" with a straight face, only for latte gives me terrible trapped wind. So I am destined to wander the corridors of polite society in a sort of ghostly torment, collar up and scarf on at six in the evening, moaning in grief for a grandeur faded. And if I mangle any more metaphors the Universe will kick me in the ear, so I shall stop now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

Anyone else not care about whether they're considered working/middle/upper class? Once I've enough money to come and go as I please I'm happy, don't care if the neighbours think they're better than me. Go back a few generations and we're all descended from a mixture of people who in their time would have been considered lower, middle, upper class etc...

o/

I couldn't care less.

I come from a very working class background but would now be considered middle class and would be in regular company of all of the classes. I don't change depending on who I am speaking to. I don't hide where I'm from. I don't care that some of the working classes think I'm a snob and some of the middle and upper classes probably think I'm a knacker. Couldn't give a fiddlers.

I leave my very nice house in my very nice car and I drive down to see my parents in the old council house that I grew up in and where my boyracer mobile lives in the winter. I shop in lidl/aldi/dunnes/supervalu (but never tesco :mad:). I go to fancy restaurants where everyone has perfect pearly whites and I go my old local where some of the punters haven't had teeth in their head in years and I fit in in both. (although I probably would swear less in the fancy restaurants to be fair ;))

Oh and I have an Irish name and like them too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭Glenster

As far as I'm concerned gradations of class only apply to people in towns/cities.

Boggers are not any of the seven/three classes. They are boggers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

Glenster wrote: »
    Boggers are not any of the seven/three classes. They are boggers.
    so all culchies belong to the bogger class.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

bladespin wrote: »

There is one interesting divide that seems to have most people in one of two camps, as far as I can see broadly along socio-economic/education lines in the time-honoured tradition of the the Hoi-Polloi vs. the Rawthah More Refained people. To wit, the latter are inclined to view Government as something to be engaged with and participated in, whereas the former group are more inclined to view it as something that lives "up there" somewhere and does things to them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Working class have their name on their shirt. Middle class have their name on their desk and upper class have their name on the building.

Advertisement