Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Men wearing babies ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

I'm with you op. Nothing enrages me more than see a man be a good dad.

He might have been a terrible dad , the sling wasnt proof of either

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Because the mom carries it the other 23 hours of the day in the sling.

When I had my first I enthusiastically got a pushchair. He hated it until he was able to sit, so I had a velcro baby for about six months.
    My second is a month now, the carrier is still in the wardrobe because pushing her around is her heroin.

Also some people like having two hands free and don't want to eat like an acrobat balancing food in an awkward position with one hand that someone else already cut into pieces for you.

I'm not gay myself, and no idea who this guy is, but jaysus he makes a carrying a baby look as sexy as having a holstered Smith and Wesson beneath his jacket.

dacb2e41cdb7b2f528b0f934d98b12db.jpg

He's a fine looking man but the sling a baby just dont sit right I think

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

My friend and her husband have one, it's like a back-to-front backpack or something with padded straps. I think they tried a sling but couldn't get it quite right.
    Keeps your arms free for actually doing anything and takes the weight off. Seems pretty handy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

I'm not gay myself, and no idea who this guy is, but jaysus he makes a carrying a baby look as sexy as having a holstered Smith and Wesson beneath his jacket.

Hello Baby daddy!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Rather see a guy carrying a baby like that and keeping it quiet than having the little bugger screams his or her longues out in a buggy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

Try sitting in the pub having a pint with one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

aujopimur wrote: »
    Try sitting in the pub having a pint with one.

Start them off on Corona or something tasty. Head straight for the Guinness and you're gonna have a bad time.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

My husband used a sling when my 20 yr old was a baby and it wasn't a new thing then either. Having a sling is handy because it leaves your hands free to do other stuff, it also means you don't have the hassle of a pram and its better for the baby. But yeah, men taking care of their children, disgraceful and emasculating right?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,502 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

When babies I used one with both my kids and the eldest is 14 now so it's not a new thing at all.

It's just very convenient in situations where a buggy isn't practical.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

I carried the little ones around in a manduca when they were tiny. Convenient, hands free, helps with bonding and you don't you had them with you and forgetfully leave them somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,436 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I've been to Australia and never saw any kangaroos carry a baby in a sling so I think the OP is talking rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Would it not get in the way ordering pints at the bar?:confused:

jester77 wrote: »
    I carried the little ones around in a manduca when they were tiny. Convenient, hands free, helps with bonding and you don't you had them with you and forgetfully leave them somewhere.

How much less do you think ye might have bonded without the manduca ?
    Mine still know who I am even though I didn't sling them around me !
    Do people actually have problems bonding with their children ?

Would it not get in the way ordering pints at the bar?:confused:

Could get one with a cup holder maybe or tuck a bottle between child and sling . Give them alcohol awareness kind of

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

My husband and my brothers all prefer sling or carrier to pushing a buggy. It's way easier. Especially in the woods, on the beach etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

Does nothing for me. It would do nothing for me if he had just rescued the baby from a burning building either. And I'm not gay, either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

Does nothing for me. It would do nothing for me if he had just rescued the baby from a burning building either. And I'm not gay, either.

Nor me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Tried it once and found it uncomfortable probably because my kids were big babies.

My unconscious mean thought is also I associate with Benetton Dad: cargo panted; sipping a machiatto, in touch with his inner child and hoping the yummy mothers notice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 910 ✭✭✭BlinkingLights

I'm a bloke, i don't have kids, but I think it's great to see guys doing that.

A proud and happy dad and baby getting tons of affection and time to bond and will hopefully turn out way more balanced and secure as a result.

I don't see how anyone could possibly have any issue with it! It's not posing or anything else, it's just being a dad.

Some people are still obviously living in the 1800s or maybe the 1950s where men were expected to basically work down coal mines, be canon fodder and take absolutely no interest in their kids or display any emotion whatsoever.

I know men had more economic and social freedoms in some ways than women, but they were also shut out of a lot of the emotional side of life and many probably ended up fairly damaged - the old men who don't communicate much and just smoke a pipe types and probably haven't had a hug since 1947.

It's great to see dads being dads and to see all that old nonsense consigned to the dustbin of historical stupidity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭I love Sean nos

I'm looking forward to showing off my new sex trophy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    I've noticed it more recently, I think it's cool. I did it a few times with my little lad but never found it comfortable for either of us so mostly stuck with a buggy or just carried him.

Always preferred a buggy as well. More comfortable and easier to stash all the baby stuff.

I have relatives with babies and it's not that glamorous I can assure you!
    There's the whole smelly nappies, feeding, having food thrown at you, smeared into your face, all your clothes completely wrecked, running the washing machine and dryer 24/7, baby deciding to have a 'let's see how loud I can yell' game, having your iPhone dropped into the toilet to see if it floats, endlessly having to run after and ensure they don't injure themselves until they're more capable of looking after themselves era.

They're great, but they're a lot of work!

Most parents don't tend to walk around looking like they've just stepped out of a Hollywood make-up truck, unless they're a celeb who has 3 nannies and several PAs running after him/her and their baby.

From what I've seen it's more the flustered look with the food smeared all over them and half a banana mashed into their hair.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Small kids tend not to appreciate being thrown over the shoulder and carried around like a sack of coal.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Pete Moss

On first glance, I thought this was actually from some crime-fighting movie involving a suave detective and his new partner, Detective Baby.
    Detective Baby
    "First they fight crime, then they nap"
    In cinemas June 2017.

Pete Moss wrote: »
    On first glance, I thought this was actually from some crime-fighting movie involving a suave detective and his new partner, Detective Baby.
    Detective Baby
    "First they fight crime, then they nap"
    In cinemas June 2017.

The baby is also learning the same Zoolander-inspired 'blue steel' facial expression.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement