Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travelling home from a marathon, how does one manage?

Options
  • 30-03-2017 11:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭

Hi I'm not doing one in the near future, but looking into future 'options'. Is it safe to travel 3 hours home in a train after a marathon and what 'precautions' should one take ?. I've ran a few marathons before but all were close to home. I was not in good shape that evening and can't really imagine travelling a long distance. How do others 'manage' ? Just a thought.
    Thanks
    S

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

On a train is probably one of the best ways to travel as it is the easiest to get up and walk around, being sat in a car/ bus/ plane would be less good.

It's certainly "safe", it just may be a bit uncomfortable. If you are going back the same day then you'll probably just flake out in the seat and then struggle to stand back up at the other end. If you are travelling back the next day then you'll have a bit of difficulty getting up and down any steps as well. All fine though, just don't expect to get anywhere quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

It's not is if a marathon is a death defying feat!

Sure you'll feel a bit uncomfortable but that's hardly going to kill you? How safe is it? Just as safe as sitting at home and probably safer than having a pint in a pub.

To keep moving around after a marathon is usually the last thing on anyone's mind but is actually recommended for recovery.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭ISOP

What precautions? I will be driving home to London after Manchester on Sunday, its not like I will be totally incapacitated!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

ISOP wrote: »
    What precautions? I will be driving home to London after Manchester on Sunday, its not like I will be totally incapacitated!

:eek:

The most travelling I've done after a marathon was a train from Limerick to Dublin. That were fine, because I wasn't required to be any more than half-conscious and could move about a bit.

Driving, though...

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

ISOP wrote: »

I'd just take frequent breaks - if you're going M6/M1 I'd plan for 2-3 stops and use the M6 toll so you're not stuck in traffic around Birmingham. Plenty of caffeine too and don't be afraid to check into a Travelodge for the night if you need to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 psalm69

A pair of compression socks a pint and then a kip on the train

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭echancrure

One of the problem with driving a long time after a marathon are cramps.

If that happens, just stop and walk around.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Sticking to the motorway network you'll be pretty much guaranteed a services at least every half hour. Use them if you need to. I drove back from two and a bit hours away after a marathon last year, was only a trail one though so whilst spending longer on my feet the legs were slightly less battered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭nhunter100

No biggie, drove down to Tralee in the wee hours did the 100k back in the car and drive home to Athlone soon after. As another poster said it's not a death defying feat.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

It's no problem, couple of years ago I flew on the first flight to Amsterdam and back that night after doing the Appeldorn marathon.

Take an inflammatory and do some stretching and you'll be grand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,837 ✭✭✭daheff

It's not is if a marathon is a death defying feat!

Ah that's a little bit dismissive of novice runners. I assume you have done quite a bit of training & run the distance a few times.

Not every marathoner is so fit.... For some it literally is death defying... For the odd unfortunate, they aren't quite so lucky.

Op, I'd imagine the main issue you'll experience is being tired, dehydrated sore & stiff. Have a good drink or two, massage your calves & stretch a bit. If you can afford it get a premium seat

• Registered Users Posts: 6,176 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Via a public house or two. In fairness there's not that much too it, you'll be fine after a coupe of hours

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

daheff wrote: »
    Ah that's a little bit dismissive of novice runners. I assume you have done quite a bit of training & run the distance a few times.

Not every marathoner is so fit.... For some it literally is death defying... For the odd unfortunate, they aren't quite so lucky.

Op, I'd imagine the main issue you'll experience is being tired, dehydrated sore & stiff. Have a good drink or two, massage your calves & stretch a bit. If you can afford it get a premium seat

I'm not being dismissive at all. A marathon is a distance that is completed by over a million of amateur runners every single year. It's challenging for sure and you better be well trained but it's not THAT big a deal.

As for getting home safely afterwards, if you're too tired to drive then don't drive. But travelling home by train does not carry any particular risks and no 'precautions' are required.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

After Rotterdam in a week's time it'll be a quick trip to the airport, flight to Dublin then followed by a couple of hours drive from Dublin airport. Having tired and heavy legs is about the worst you can expect, not really any "precautions" you can take to cure that... plenty of fluids and coffee as required will do it for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,160 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

The arrogance in this forum never ceases to amaze.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭nhunter100

The arrogance in this forum never ceases to amaze.

What arrogance are you referring to?

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Jakey Rolling

I'd recommend travelling home the same day - you are likely to be much more sore and stiff the day or 2 after, can make it hard to get in and out of cars or up the steps to a plane (from experience!)

100412.2526@compuserve.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Spirogyra

I don't think (from experience ) that running a marathon is 'death-defying' but I do remember feeling pretty bad afterwards, worse than during the run itself. I suppose just keep drinking water and other 'replacements'.

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭JohnDozer

To be honest I'm pretty sure it's not arrogance, but I can definitely see how it's coming across that way.

In my case, off limited enough experience, I've come home the same day on those occasions. It's much better to get home before everything seizes up properly I think. I couldn't imagine waking up the day after and trying to get moving to travel. At least if you're home you just have to get to the couch. Or the fridge. Or the fridge by the couch.

The next day is very tough once you sieze up. Have been hobbling around the day after a marathon and unable to make it up or down the stairs in the hotel or walk down the street properly. Then staggered my way to the start line of a half marathon and once the gun went all was relatively OK and I ran a decent enough time and felt like I could keep running all day, just couldn't change my pace at all from what I started running at.

Get moving the next day and keep going and it will make a massive difference to getting rid of the aches. It's just getting started which is tricky.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭positron

Interesting discussion. I was hoping to do DCM (which would be my first) and then fly 7 + 4 hours the very next day for short break and I was hoping to recover there. It's about 24 hours door to door, good bit of walking to change flights, and 3 hours driving at the other end. I think I better postpone that trip by a week or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

positron wrote: »
    Interesting discussion. I was hoping to do DCM (which would be my first) and then fly 7 + 4 hours the very next day for short break and I was hoping to recover there. It's about 24 hours door to door, good bit of walking to change flights, and 3 hours driving at the other end. I think I better postpone that trip by a week or so.

Ummm 7+4 hours flight...can we start a guessing game where you're going?

I reckon Maldives:cool:

Do many here have a drink after a marathon? :) It goes against 'a healthy plan', one needs to replace as much fluids as possible, not dehydrate the body further but....it might make the journey home more pleasant :) might not feel 'the pain' as much ? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭positron

sideswipe wrote: »
    I reckon Maldives:cool:

Excellent guess, you are very close. Kerala (India) actually, which is very close to Maldives. (Couldn't possibly drive 3 hours in Maldives :D well unless it means driving a boat I suppose..)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,001 ✭✭✭✭event

Spirogyra wrote: »
    Do many here have a drink after a marathon? :) It goes against 'a healthy plan', one needs to replace as much fluids as possible, not dehydrate the body further but....it might make the journey home more pleasant :) might not feel 'the pain' as much ? :)

I only run marathons so I can go on the drink after

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭ISOP

always have 4 or 5 pints of Guinness (or more) they tatse so much better

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭echancrure

Absolutely.
    Been off for 3 months; so glad there is bar at the end of the Connemara Ultra...
    And a bus back to the hotel...
    And pubs in Clifden...

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭PaulieYifter

positron wrote: »
    Excellent guess, you are very close. Kerala (India) actually, which is very close to Maldives. (Couldn't possibly drive 3 hours in Maldives :D well unless it means driving a boat I suppose..)

You could probably do with a boat in Kerala too - lovely spot.

My first objective after finishing a marathon is getting a beer!
    However after Longford last year I had to jump in the car straight after and drive to Dublin first.
    My flights after Boston this year were booked for that evening and I planned to party like the Wolf of Wall Street on board (unfortunately I'm out of the race now).

Obviously if you ended up in the medical tent after you'd need to take it easy...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭rom

Did my first marathon in Dublin. Had to get the Luas afterwards to get to the red cow. Took me an hour to walk to stop from the finish to the stop. Then had to drive home to Cork after food/shower with family.

It was easy to manage but I must say at 18 Miles plus that 3/4 hour travel rather than a nap for an hour plays with your mind. Since then I have always stayed very close to the finish line where I could shower, recovery drink, sleep for a bit and then get food etc. From races in the past I would normally be low in electrolytes so would cramp v badly.

• Advertisement

What is the best food after ?.

Advertisement