Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Man gets €20k for jambon embarrassment

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

At the end it seems the store didn't bother to engage until court proceedings were issued. Think that's why Judge awarded something which is ridiculous. :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I'm usually disgusted at sizeable compensation claims for trivial even ridiculous matters however in this instance I think the shop deserved it. They ignored 6 letters from the guys solicitor and so screw them. If they had the decency to reply even to deny the incident then I think there would have been a very different result.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

People make claims
    Solicitors get hired
    Judges award compo
    The gravy train continues.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,152 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

Yawns wrote: »
    At the end it seems the store didn't bother to engage until court proceedings were issued. Think that's why Judge awarded something which is ridiculous. :/

Yup. Betcha they're taking customer complaints seriously now. Whether justified or not.

Also, you don't f%#} with a man's jambon. Some things in life must be respected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

I presume another man walked out with the free jambon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,868 ✭✭✭gifted

I read this as "jamrag" ....now that would be embarrassing lol lol

• Registered Users Posts: 73,394 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I'm usually disgusted at sizeable compensation claims for trivial even ridiculous matters however in this instance I think the shop deserved it. They ignored 6 letters from the guys solicitor and so screw them. If they had the decency to reply even to deny the incident then I think there would have been a very different result.

Can't see why jambon man should get the 20k though.
    If the shop did something wrong in not responding, is there not another way the judge can deal with that?
    All this does is encourage scams and makes retailers war on scobes robbing stuff harder.

People make claims
    Solicitors get hired
    Judges award compo
    The gravy train continues.
    That sounds like The Field :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Doesn't take much these days for someone to be able to jambon the compensation bandwagon.

• Advertisement

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Can't see why jambon man should get the 20k though.
    If the shop did something wrong in not responding, is there not another way the judge can deal with that?
    All this does is encourage scams and makes retailers war on scobes robbing stuff harder.

You have to remember that the judge was possibly a member of the legal profession before being appointed a judge, he knows what it's like to have legal letters ignored and he punished them for it. I think he was right. It doesn't encourage fraudulent claims but may encourage businesses to settle silly little matters like it before they reach court stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,394 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Is there not a way to punish the shop without a payout to jambon man?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭rgace

The judge is part of the legal system gravy train.

He wants to encourage other small business owners to hire solicitors who will send over-priced legal letters in response to the six over-priced legal letters.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭please helpThank YOU

Jambon embarrassment Man get 20000 euros well done .JOLLY GOOD FELLOW.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭whatawaster81

Accusing the poor man of eating a jambon. The shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,478 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

From Fortunestown Lane...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

I don't agree with the payout either. Punish the shop for letting it get to that stage sure. Make them pay legal costs, possibly a small compensation to the guy of what 500 euro maybe. Charity would be better. 20k tho? No way.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,197 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

You have to remember that the judge was possibly a member of the legal profession before being appointed a judge, he knows what it's like to have legal letters ignored and he punished them for it. I think he was right. It doesn't encourage fraudulent claims but may encourage businesses to settle silly little matters like it before they reach court stage.

What legal requirement is there to respond to random letters from a solicitor? Is a letter from a solicitor a legal document? If the shop felt the mans claims were frivolous why should they waste their time responding to what they may have felt was correspondence from some ambulance chaser?

Unless I am wrong the shop responded immediately to contact from the court, is that not how it should be?

Doesn't take much these days for someone to be able to jambon the compensation bandwagon.
    It's called slander Pete, you can't come running out of a shop accusing someone of stealing when they paid for the item. €20k is a bit much though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

Imagine how much he could have gotten if it was a roll.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

What legal requirement is there to respond to random letters from a solicitor? Is a letter from a solicitor a legal document? If the shop felt the mans claims were frivolous why should they waste their time responding to what they may have felt was correspondence from some ambulance chaser?

Unless I am wrong the shop responded immediately to contact from the court, is that not how it should be?

The jambon man and his solicitor should both be fined for starting a frivolous case.

The only damage to the jambon mans reputation happened once he hired a solicitor to go after the shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Seriously would these threads ever fcuking stop? The guy was defamed, it was a profitable business that decided to do it (by not training it's staff). The begrudary in this country really grinds you down after a while.

No I don't think there is any legal requirement but as they ignored 6 letters and you can be absolutely sure the solicitors informed them if they didn't respond they'd issue legal proceedings so to continue to ignore those letters was at their own peril and they paid a hefty price for it. If they had replied then I think the case would have been thrown out or would have at least resulted in a much small award.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Doctor Nick

Seriously would these threads ever fcuking stop? The guy was defamed, it was a profitable business that decided to do it (by not training it's staff). The begrudary in this country really grinds you down after a while.

Agreed. As they say sh!t sticks and this man has cleared his name and was justified in doing so, there are only a few other things worse than a thief. Maybe the business will think twice against falsely accusing somebody of theft.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭blue note

Are you serious? I do agree that the guy deserved an apology and probably a token gift or something - give him a bottle of wine or a box of chocolates or something to say sorry for our mistake. Then for ignoring the solicitor's letters and the hassle of it all the shop deserved to be punished and the man compensated for the original mistake and the hassle of chasing them for it. A thousand euro plus costs would have thought the shop a lesson and been a nice little windfall for the customer.

But how the hell did we get to twenty thousand euro?!? That's just insane. Where's your line for what you regard as begrudgery and what you regard as reasonable criticism of a ridiculous award? If they awarded him 50 or 100 thousand would it still just be begrudgery if people gave out about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

What does a "jambon" cost, 2 Euro? I honestly think one needs to have a specific mentality to kick up a storm over such an incident immediately; Frankly if it happened to me I would have pointed out I paid already but hey, not gonna lose it for a couple of Euro - here's the money once again and would have walked. Good to know it would have costed me 20 grands...there are people who live literally waiting to pounce on such opportunities, I had the misfortune of meeting a couple of them.

Then again, maybe the store manager was the power-trippin' type you sometimes find in retail, shouting accusations and such - in which case, I can understand the whole thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,571 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

blue note wrote: »
    Where's your line for what you regard as begrudgery and what you regard as reasonable criticism of a ridiculous award?
    In fairness, the post just before the one you quoted (and possibly very much the comment that prompted them to post at all) said that the man should be sued for starting a frivolous lawsuit.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

No I don't think there is any legal requirement but as they ignored 6 letters and you can be absolutely sure the solicitors informed them if they didn't respond they'd issue legal proceedings so to continue to ignore those letters was at their own peril and they paid a hefty price for it. If they had replied then I think the case would have been thrown out or would have at least resulted in a much small award.

But why would there even be an obligation on them to respond to the threat of legal proceedings? They have to respond to the court, but you don't need to respond to someone threatening to take you to court ... until they do.

If they had responded to the solicitors letters then it would only have been to tell them "see you in court", and that would hardly have helped them as it would be antagonising. The company just were not expecting anything to come of it, and the solicitor and jambon man got lucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,781 ✭✭✭Panrich

H3llR4iser wrote: »
    What does a "jambon" cost, 2 Euro? I honestly think one needs to have a specific mentality to kick up a storm over such an incident immediately; Frankly if it happened to me I would have pointed out I paid already but hey, not gonna lose it for a couple of Euro - here's the money once again and would have walked. Good to know it would have costed me 20 grands...there are people who live literally waiting to pounce on such opportunities, I had the misfortune of meeting a couple of them.

Then again, maybe the store manager was the power-trippin' type you sometimes find in retail, shouting accusations and such - in which case, I can understand the whole thing.

Whatever about the wrongs and rights about the way this ended up, I'd certainly be digging my heels in about paying again for something that I've already bought.

• Advertisement

Panrich wrote: »
    Whatever about the wrongs and rights about the way this ended up, I'd certainly be digging my heels in about paying again for something that I've already bought.

Which he did, and they looked at the CCTV footage, and then he left the shop not having paid anything more.

Advertisement