Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working at an post

Options
  • 27-03-2017 10:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭

So I have an aptitude test for an post this week ,can anyone tell me how things go after the test ,is it a temporary contract with full time work for duration of contract (if selected) or do they 'ring you when they need you ' I have no idea how it goes as I have a full time job (not secure as an post would be ) and wondering if I 'got in' would it be worth my while doing the test and baring the casual position which the test is for ,and indeed leaving my current job
    I have read somewhere before this is the norm for them ,they hire you if successful on a casual basis but do not know if it is week here and there or constant work for a peroid of a few months .
    many thanks in advance for anyone who advises me on this .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭daphil

pat k wrote: »
    So I have an aptitude test for an post this week ,can anyone tell me how things go after the test ,is it a temporary contract with full time work for duration of contract (if selected) or do they 'ring you when they need you ' I have no idea how it goes as I have a full time job (not secure as an post would be ) and wondering if I 'got in' would it be worth my while doing the test and baring the casual position which the test is for ,and indeed leaving my current job
    I have read somewhere before this is the norm for them ,they hire you if successful on a casual basis but do not know if it is week here and there or constant work for a peroid of a few months .

It would almost certainly be a "'ring you when they want you" job.
    There are more cutbacks coming down the line in An Post, not just the Post Offices as they try to get more contract and casual workers in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭mossie

pat k wrote: »

It would almost certainly be a week (or less) here and there covering holidays, sick leave etc. You might have a few months constant work during the summer but would be back to occasional work then.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Reezer

Hi Patk any advice I'm now in a similar situation as you were before. Are you workin for Anpost now? I wonder if you can help me . i'm currently in a private sector full time employment but the job is not as secure as An post or the state/semi-state jobs would be.Where I work is very far, Very costly for me cost me a huge fortune to get to work, I spend a long hours commuting every day, I have a smaller mortgage though and a second child on the way. As crazy as it might sound leaving a full time job for a temporary job , I have been trying to get on state jobs for security, longevity, working locally will certainly enhance my finances big time , improve my well being and enable me to spend time with my kids.However, the government jobs are proving to be very elusive. An opportunity is set to arise I'm in the panel for the temporary Mail Operative locally I'm going through Garda vetting so as we speak and might be called soon although what I really want is full time permanent mail Operative position. The QUESTION HOW DIFFICULT IS IT TO SECURE A FULL PERMANENT JOB once I have one foot inside? HOW DOES IT WORK ONCE INSIDE AND POSSIBLE ADVICES?

Reezer wrote: »
    Hi Patk any advice I'm now in a similar situation as you were before. Are you workin for Anpost now? I wonder if you can help me . i'm currently in a private sector full time employment but the job is not as secure as An post or the state/semi-state jobs would be.Where I work is very far, Very costly for me cost me a huge fortune to get to work, I spend a long hours commuting every day, I have a smaller mortgage though and a second child on the way. As crazy as it might sound leaving a full time job for a temporary job , I have been trying to get on state jobs for security, longevity, working locally will certainly enhance my finances big time , improve my well being and enable me to spend time with my kids.However, the government jobs are proving to be very elusive. An opportunity is set to arise I'm in the panel for the temporary Mail Operative locally I'm going through Garda vetting so as we speak and might be called soon although what I really want is full time permanent mail Operative position. The QUESTION HOW DIFFICULT IS IT TO SECURE A FULL PERMANENT JOB once I have one foot inside? HOW DOES IT WORK ONCE INSIDE AND POSSIBLE ADVICES?

In our office, there are 7 planned redundancies, a similar number planned for the cross city office. There are supposed to be 400/450 redundancies nationwide. If anyone gets in, it will be on "yellow pack" wages and it's hard to see anyone being appointed on a permanent basis.

@daphil Thank you for your reply, I need to digest all these views so all inputs are welcome . I spend €300/€400 travelling each month to work,I live in the country side and work in Dublin docks side/ terminals , I leave my house at 6:15am and I get back home at 7:15pm earliest , when I get home my daughter is ready to go to bed and I'm tired, come Friday I'm knackered from travelling personally that kind of travelling over the years will have a negative impact on anyones health.It's a question of securing a secure job for longevity in the long run, also saving time and money by eliminating commuting expenses,on the other hand I am on the government /state for other jobs panel in my local county council but weather those are going to come to fruition is another story as they tend to be very elusive.Where I live there isn't much work going, except Dublin City Centre which is the jobs hub of the country. I dnt wanna lose out on a potential opportunity to work locally coz apperantlty if I decline any offer my name would be removed from the panel. So the idea is to get on through the offer set to arise and hope to secure permancy once inside. So @daphil what you do if you were in my position? What are the yellow wages and when are the redundancies scheduled to take place? What would you do if you were in my position and what possible advice would you give me? Thank you for all this by the way.

• Advertisement

An Post is NOT a secure job for anyone starting. As I said redundancies are on the way and while some "contract" workers might be taken on, they are unlikely to be made permanent.
    Not sure what the "yellow pack" wages are, but I doubt you could support a family on them.
    A tough call to make, but An Post is under severe pressure, is changing rapidly and no-one can forecast what it will be like in a couple of years time.
    I have been in An Post for over 30 years so my conditions would be different.

daphil wrote: »
    An Post is NOT a secure job for anyone starting. As I said redundancies are on the way and while some "contract" workers might be taken on, they are unlikely to be made permanent.
    Not sure what the "yellow pack" wages are, but I doubt you could support a family on them.
    A tough call to make, but An Post is under severe pressure, is changing rapidly and no-one can forecast what it will be like in a couple of years time.
    I have been in An Post for over 30 years so my conditions would be different.

@daphil thanks as a lot for the input

• Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭mossy50

if ur working in dublin surely you should be posting in the dublin section

• Registered Users Posts: 2 RockJammer

so did you have any luck getting a job in An post?

Advertisement