Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri (Martin McDonagh)

Options
  • 24-03-2017 12:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 55,465 ✭✭✭✭

Funniest trailer I've seen in a while. This looks like it'll be great fun. :)
    THREE BILLBOARDS OUTSIDE EBBING, MISSOURI is a darkly comic drama from Academy Award winner Martin McDonagh (IN BRUGES). After months have passed without a culprit in her daughter’s murder case, Mildred Hayes (Academy Award winner Frances McDormand) makes a bold move, painting three signs leading into her town with a controversial message directed at William Willoughby (Academy Award nominee Woody Harrelson), the town's revered chief of police. When his second-in-command Officer Dixon (Sam Rockwell), an immature mother’s boy with a penchant for violence, gets involved, the battle between Mildred and Ebbing's law enforcement is only exacerbated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 832 ✭✭✭HamsterFace

Mr E wrote: »
    Funniest trailer I've seen in a while. This looks like it'll be great fun. :)

Hopefully! I hope it's better than Seven Psychopaths which had great scenes but just didn't work for me.

God I love In Bruges, it's sublime, I hope another of his can come close to it

• Registered Users Posts: 32,210 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Looks terrific....also saw Peter Dinklage and John Hawkes in that trailer I think?

• Registered Users Posts: 85,378 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I expect Frances McDormand to feature in all awards with this role, great actress

gmisk wrote: »
    Looks terrific....also saw Peter Dinklage and John Hawkes in that trailer I think?

Pretty sure I saw them too. That's quite a cast McDonagh's got for the movie.

Good trailer, and I love the trope-breaking final few seconds of it.

I'll be there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Ya know, I wonder what would Margie Gunderson think if she heard that kind of potty mouth?

Didn't even notice that was McDormand, this could be a lot of fun and looks like she's nailed it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

That looks awesome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Saw a trailer for this at the weekend, stars Frances McDormand, Woody Harrelson and Sam Rockwell and is directed by Martin McDonagh, he of In Bruges and Seven Psychopaths.

Loved SP but didn't like IB at all, this one looks very interesting and McDormand is tipped as being an Oscar contender for her performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Saw the redband trailer, looks brilliant. Very funny scenes stemming from tragedy.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Merged.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,833 ✭✭✭s8n

when is this released ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

s8n wrote: »
    when is this released ?

Mid-January

• Registered Users Posts: 5,986 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

I'm really looking forward to this. Have need following it for a while. Big fan of Martin McDonagh (Like John McDonagh but wasn't gone on "Calvery". Apart from Brendan Gleeson the rest of the characters were very one-dimensional).

Amazing cast.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,582 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

This just received 6 Golden Globe nominations including Best Director for McDonagh.

Am a big fan.
    He's such a dark satirical writer, it's great to see him continuing to get the recognition and praise he deserves.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

This just received 6 Golden Globe nominations including Best Director for McDonagh.

Am a big fan.
    He's such a dark satirical writer, it's great to see him continuing to get the recognition and praise he deserves.

I definitely think Frances Mcdormand will be in the running for a Best Actress Oscar, along with Sally Hawkins and our own Saoirse Ronan. All have been picking up Critic awards and none have shot ahead.

Sam Rockwell could battle it out with William Dafoe on the best supporting actor award, again both have been picking up the awards in America for their roles.

I think it's the best chance for awards for the film. I think best original screenplay will probably more then likely go for Get Out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭MfMan

Am preparing myself to be underwhelmed by this. Just from the trailer, McDormand looks to be 'playing to the gallery' a bit, and McDonagh/Coen Bros/Tarantino are starting to become parodies of themselves when let off the leash.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,019 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

MfMan wrote: »
    Am preparing myself to be underwhelmed by this. Just from the trailer, McDormand looks to be 'playing to the gallery' a bit, and McDonagh/Coen Bros/Tarantino are starting to become parodies of themselves when let off the leash.

It's a bit early to be lumping McDonagh in with the other two there as "becoming a parody of himself", this is only his third feature film :)

• Registered Users Posts: 85,378 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

4 SAG nominations too

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭MfMan

Fysh wrote: »
    It's a bit early to be lumping McDonagh in with the other two there as "becoming a parody of himself", this is only his third feature film :)

Aye, but he's clearly (too) influenced by the others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

I wouldn't put it down to being a parody of themselves, just having a distinct style that makes it very, very clear who made the movie being watched - it was really popular in the 1960s and 70s in particular, but the same could still easily be said of others like David Lynch and Martin Scorcese (whose Wolf of Wall Street might be the closest example of being a parody of oneself of any of the directors named).

Tarantino's movies have gone a bit parody-ish though, but more going for parody than being a parody of themselves - personally I think his films have suffered for it, though I did like Django a lot when it was in the cinema.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,019 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

MfMan wrote: »
    Aye, but he's clearly (too) influenced by the others.

Before the release of the third feature film in someone's career is still too early to make any statements about trends in their career. You've only got two data points to work with, anything else is nowt but speculation.

I mean, I hope In Bruges is more indicative of the kind of films he'll make in future than Seven Psychopaths, but right now there's no way to tell. The trailer for Three Billboards has me hopeful, particularly since a few other films I was hoping to catch at the cinema around now aren't screening near me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

I loved it but I also loved In Bruges and massively underrated Seven Psychopaths, but can see some coming out of it just hating it cause it's quite a bleak film that doesn't give you the answers you want, also it's been massively hyped by the critics so that rubs a lot of people up the wrong way :pac:. Also McDonagh brother's work does split opinion massively on here, remember when Calvary just got such hate on here.

Anyway, it's darkly funny (the first 50 minutes or so) then it turns into one of more bleaker films I've seen in 2017. Rockwell for sure delivers a career best performance, and loved how you think his character is one thing but turns out to be something else. I know some will find it hard to root for a guy
    Who's a racist, also beats the innocent Caleb Landry Jones and his GF to a pulp
    but Rockwell does just that. I think it's between him and William Dafoe for Best Supporting Actor. Frances McDormand delivers a fantastic turn (when doesn't she) and probably greatest turn here, once again she's not always likeable but she makes you care. And she's kickass especially in the scene
    With the potential rapist and murderer of her daugther
    . Out of the Actresses been nominated so far that I've seen, she's definitely the best one.

Out of the other supporting roles, Woody Harrelson is fantastic
    His death, hits the gut the most. For been in it for only 55 minutes, he leaves his mark
    and I did love the little role of Samara Weaving who plays McDormand's ex husband's younger girlfriend (she delivers the most laughs). I thought John Hawkes was slightly wasted as the ex husband, also Lucas Hedges who wasn't given near the part he was in Manchester By the Sea. Poor Abbie Cornish (Her star turn in Somersault seems so far away now and she sadly is wasted in Wife and Girlfriend roles) is one again wasted in a Martin McDonagh film, not as bad in Seven Psychopaths as she's given one scene to leave an impression.

The Ending will leave some angry
    You think you get the answer of who killed McDormand's Daughter but it gets taken away from you. I Don't think that matters this film is more about Grief then anything
    and film isn't anywhere rewatchable as In Bruges, so I could see myself buying this on DVD and watching it every now and again over the years. But definitely seen this winning at least two Oscars. 8/10

• Registered Users Posts: 12,476 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Looper007 wrote: »
    I loved it but I also loved In Bruges and massively underrated Seven Psychopaths, but can see some coming out of it just hating it cause it's quite a bleak film that doesn't give you the answers you want, also it's been massively hyped by the critics so that rubs a lot of people up the wrong way :pac:. Also McDonagh brother's work does split opinion massively on here, remember when Calvary just got such hate on here.

Anyway, it's darkly funny (the first 50 minutes or so) then it turns into one of more bleaker films I've seen in 2017. Rockwell for sure delivers a career best performance, and loved how you think his character is one thing but turns out to be something else. I know some will find it hard to root for a guy
    Who's a racist, also beats the innocent Caleb Landry Jones and his GF to a pulp
    but Rockwell does just that. I think it's between him and William Dafoe for Best Supporting Actor. Frances McDormand delivers a fantastic turn (when doesn't she) and probably greatest turn here, once again she's not always likeable but she makes you care. And she's kickass especially in the scene
    With the potential rapist and murderer of her daugther
    . Out of the Actresses been nominated so far that I've seen, she's definitely the best one.

Out of the other supporting roles, Woody Harrelson is fantastic
    His death, hits the gut the most. For been in it for only 55 minutes, he leaves his mark
    and I did love the little role of Samara Weaving who plays McDormand's ex husband's younger girlfriend (she delivers the most laughs). I thought John Hawkes was slightly wasted as the ex husband, also Lucas Hedges who wasn't given near the part he was in Manchester By the Sea. Poor Abbie Cornish (Her star turn in Somersault seems so far away now and she sadly is wasted in Wife and Girlfriend roles) is one again wasted in a Martin McDonagh film, not as bad in Seven Psychopaths as she's given one scene to leave an impression.

The Ending will leave some angry
    You think you get the answer of who killed McDormand's Daughter but it gets taken away from you. I Don't think that matters this film is more about Grief then anything
    and film isn't anywhere rewatchable as In Bruges, so I could see myself buying this on DVD and watching it every now and again over the years. But definitely seen this winning at least two Oscars. 8/10

Spot on review really enjoyed it a bit of a “No country for old men” vibe about it, Woody and Sam turn in great performances as does Frances and I feel that like In Bruges I will be thinking about it for the next couple of days. Another fine movie from Martin McDonagh and I look forward to his next movie I just hope we don’t have to wait another 5 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Enjoyable, wouldn't have it down for best picture or director. Maybe for some of the performances. Rockwell was brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

Just watched it.. its very very dark and funny but I loved it

• Registered Users Posts: 30 1world1people

SOME SMALL SPOLIERS AHEAD.Feel a bit let down by the ark of storytelling and the 'unpredictable' relationships that develope amongst characters. Cant see why Peter Dinklage was in it at all other than the uncomfortable midgit lines, they worked in In Bruges, but not here.

Git the impression from recent Tarantino films that there is a need to shock the audience by turning s comic scene into something horrific, and i see something similar here. MCDOnagh seems to put s shock event in and build the story arounf it rather than let the story and characters move forward naturally, Stylish, good acting , some great scenes but it seems a bit juxtoposed, wonder did it suffer in editing.

• Registered Users Posts: 67,103 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

SOME SMALL SPOLIERS AHEAD.Feel a bit let down by the ark of storytelling and the 'unpredictable' relationships that develope amongst characters. Cant see why Peter Dinklage was in it at all other than the uncomfortable midgit lines, they worked in In Bruges, but not here.

Git the impression from recent Tarantino films that there is a need to shock the audience by turning s comic scene into something horrific, and i see something similar here. MCDOnagh seems to put s shock event in and build the story arounf it rather than let the story and characters move forward naturally, Stylish, good acting , some great scenes but it seems a bit juxtoposed, wonder did it suffer in editing.

That is precisely what I like about this kind of story telling. It doesn't conform to rules of story arcs and the predictable. Because life isn't like that.
    The shocking scene really makes you think imo.

Very enjoyable, believable film for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 1world1people

That is precisely what I like about this kind of story telling. It doesn't conform to rules of story arcs and the predictable. Because life isn't like that.
    The shocking scene really makes you think imo.

Very enjoyable, believable film for me.

I like that kind of movie making too, more than a to z story telling, but this did not have that feel for me. This film has a series of disturbing events that defy logical explanation based on the characters as they are preernted, i cant help but feel its about 40 mins short of what it should be. Closer to Seven Phsychopaths than In bruges for me.Maybe repeat viewing will endear it more, the themes are dark and complicated and deserve perculation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

Was a good movie and worth checking out but I thought the ending kind of sucked to be honest.

Advertisement