Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rutland Street upper, summerhill

Options
2»

Comments

Depends on the house. If it was one family per room, then number 24 above has 6 rooms, including the basement one, so you do the maths.

If you (or anyone) ever get a chance, take a tour of 14 Henrietta street. The houses up that part were bigger, but they had over 100 in that one house according to one of the early census figures. Sometimes, there were two families to a room, with a curtain drawn across to separate them.

People had chamber pots under their bed and would empty them each morning to avoid having to traipse up and down the stairs at night in the cold and dark. My fiancee's nanny grew up on Henrietta Street and she had everyone enthralled with some of the stories, including the tour guide. She said sometimes the chamber pots would fill up or would have 'solid' waste in them and you had to empty them for health reasons.

Often, the wretched poor would sleep on the stairs in the tenements to get away from the cold. Quite often it would be a young pair of unsteady hands carrying a full pot down 4 flights of stairs, in the dark, with bodies lying across the steps....."Sure there was bound to be spillages".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭Thethunder

Few nice chippers in summerhill.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

Often, the wretched poor would sleep on the stairs in the tenements to get away from the cold...

Some tenement houses were open hall, or something like that, whereby their front hall-door would be permanently open to allow homeless sleep in the hallways and in the space under the stairs at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,457 ✭✭✭✭Kylta

I thought rutland st upper was turned into sean o casey ave. Only rutland st lower still exists today.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,251 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Kylta wrote: »
    I thought rutland st upper was turned into sean o casey ave. Only rutland st lower still exists today.
    Correct.

• Advertisement

Have lived in the north inner city for all my life, I was born in St Mary's Mansions, just around the corner from rutland st lwr, I lived in killarney st and I also lived in ballybough. The north inner city has changed drastically over the last couple of decades and contrary to popular belief its actually for the better. What people are witnessing in regards to anti-social behavior I believe will be a thing of the past. I can remember when the area was actually lawless. Now I believe you are watching the last pockets of anti-social behaviour, where there's money theres law. In regards to neighbours (I know its not a cliche) I've had some of the best of them some moved out and their still call you their neighbour. But like everywhere else their will always be bad neighbours (some actaully pure scumbags) but they were the minority.
    Will say this, there is anti-social behaviour in most places to a degree. But drugs gave the big drug dealers money and you wont find them living in these areas, they live were the well off live (hey they could be your next door neighbour). The inner city wont be plagued with anti-social behaviour in the future, there are loafs of builds going on around that area. If it was my opinion I would've bought in the area. Ive lived in town over 50years and never have been assaulted or robbed to any degree. ( well maybe I was robbed being overcharged for a pint in the local hotel)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭fatknacker

Of course many of the old buildings were probably bombed in 1941

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,118 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

fatknacker wrote: »
    Of course many of the old buildings were probably bombed in 1941

Not sure. The closest bomb to Upper Rutland Street was where that electrical wholesale shop is near O'Connell's. The occupants in number 582 were trapped in it when it collapsed, but no deaths there, as far as I know.
    Unfortunately lots of the North Inner City looked for years like it had been bombed.

spurious wrote: »
    Not sure. The closest bomb to Upper Rutland Street was where that electrical wholesale shop is near O'Connell's. The occupants in number 582 were trapped in it when it collapsed, but no deaths there, as far as I know.
    Unfortunately lots of the North Inner City looked for years like it had been bombed.

The north strand was bombed

Advertisement