Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

There's a rat in the kitchen what am I gonna do?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Do they have ferrets in India,get one.If not catch a cobra and let him loose in the house,he'll eat the rat(but might kill you too)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Option 1
    Make sure all edibles are safely locked away.
    The rat is there because there is food it can eat.

Option 2
    Learn to love rats.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Burn India down and leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

percy212 wrote: »
    Good advice. Should send them running quick smart.

Am trying to lure some pussy.....cats into my house.
    Graces7 wrote: »
    Poison. they go away and die a horrible death and sometimes stink the place out.. traps; you know they are dead then and it is fast.

I once had a large rat in the roof in one cottage. Used to come in through where i had pulled the rotten dresser out and steal food from the deaf cat.

I changed things round and left my young cat in that room... Around 2 am I was woken by thuds and screams....carefully opened the door with a prayer.... there was my young cat, shaking head to foot and on the bloodstained ground a huge, huge dead rat.

Took it outside on the shovel and took the cat to bed with me with a tin of tuna...

All the other rats? Ran off up the drive waving a white flag ..;)

witchie. face the rat situation! Get a trap and make sure all the food and dishes cannot be touched and get a lot of bleach.

OK?
    OK!

Ok! 😁

Boyfriend bought poison today and said he will stay awake all night and protect me. 😍
    73Cat wrote: »
    Yes, good advice :). I never used to like spiders but I found if I gave them a name and said hello to them that they didn't bother me as much. I don't mind them now.

Thats how I hog over my fear of geckos. "Howya Gary" solves all the fear.
    biko wrote: »
    Option 1
    Make sure all edibles are safely locked away.
    The rat is there because there is food it can eat.

Option 2
    Learn to love rats.

Option 1 is difficult when you just have open shelving in your kitchen.

Option 2 is impossible.

My solution to the situation would be to run, very far and very fast. Screaming while I do it.

I had hopes my newly adopted cat Marvin would protect me from rodents, but looking at him sleeping on his back with his mouth open and his already overfed tummy turned up to heaven, the thought strikes me that Marvin is nothing but a lazy opportunist who'd watch while I was eaten alive by rodents rather than move from a comfortable spot. Unless the rats are coated with chocolate, Marv aint moving.

• Advertisement

Witchie wrote: »
    Boyfriend bought poison today and said he will stay awake all night and protect me. 😍
    Or he's made a deal with the rat and is going to escape while you sleep, leaving you to the rat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭Glenster

ScumLord wrote: »
    Or he's made a deal with the rat and is going to escape while you sleep, leaving you to the rat.

Your boyfriend and the rat are having an affair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭Wildcard7

Candie wrote: »
    I had hopes my newly adopted cat Marvin would protect me from rodents, but looking at him sleeping on his back with his mouth open and his already overfed tummy turned up to heaven, the thought strikes me that Marvin is nothing but a lazy opportunist

I have not seen a "wild" mouse or rat up close until we got cats. Now I have to clean up a number of dead mice and rats every week, get to catch the odd half dead or completely alive one in the middle of the night (nothing wakes you up more efficiently than that) and have built up a very high resistance to gore of any kind. I have also learned a thing or two about little rodents physiology, in particular about the size of their stomachs.

If the cat is lucky enough to bring something exotic home (a frog, a bat, a mole, we even had a small rabbit recently) I'm not even mad anymore. Except birds, they're a mess.

Anyway, enjoy your lazy cat, there might come a time when you think back to his lazy days and miss them :-)

Wildcard7 wrote: »
    I have not seen a "wild" mouse or rat up close until we got cats. Now I have to clean up a number of dead mice and rats every week, get to catch the odd half dead or completely alive one in the middle of the night (nothing wakes you up more efficiently than that) and have built up a very high resistance to gore of any kind. I have also learned a thing or two about little rodents physiology, in particular about the size of their stomachs.

If the cat is lucky enough to bring something exotic home (a frog, a bat, a mole, we even had a small rabbit recently) I'm not even mad anymore. Except birds, they're a mess.

Anyway, enjoy your lazy cat, there might come a time when you think back to his lazy days and miss them :-)

He's an apartment cat, for two reasons. Firstly because there's a lot of activity outside and I'm close to a very busy highway, and secondly because if Marvin ever brought a rat or a mouse into this apartment, he'd very quickly find that I'd moved out. Without him.

Not that I think Marv chasing anything around is ever going to be an issue. Lazy git. :P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Buy the Rat a Hat.....

Then maybe have a Chat......

You could mention or not.....a Cat.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭farmchoice

Oh please, I live in Belfast (a well known utopia of cleanliness and hygiene) and I had a rat in my kitchen. We laid out four trays of rat bait to kill the little fvcker and he ate all of them. Scarfed the lot down and still lived. We ended up calling him "Ratsputin".

Anyway, yeah. You could try bait, you could try hitting it with a big stick. Fact is, they usually find a way in regardless. Good luck!

i have some bad news for you you dont have one rat you have a lot of rats. one rat didn't eat your 4 trays of poison a good few did and then died and more are still there.

you should probably sort this out as rats do spread disease and you can get weil's disease off them easily enough.

it might be time to give rentokil a call.

farmchoice wrote: »
    i have some bad news for you you dont have one rat you have a lot of rats. one rat didn't eat your 4 trays of poison a good few did and then died and more are still there..
    I'd imagine living in India you just have to come to terms with the fact that you're more than likely being watched by a rat at this and every moment and that there's probably more rats living in every town and city than there is people, and in India that's a lot of rats.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,274 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭Lt Dan

Well more specifically he was in the bathroom and bedroom but since the walls don't go all the way to the ceilings in Indian houses he was more than likely in the kitchen and living room too.

So advice please. Do I leave India and go somewhere a little less filthy or do I suck it up and stay?

Any tips on trying to keep the feckers out when there are holes in your roof and walls?

Leave India

What on earth possessed you to go there in the first place?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

India / boyfriend loop.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Make friends with it before it grows up.

article-2133818-12B998B1000005DC-672_636x585.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

Cat!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Jack the Stripper

snowflaker wrote: »
    Cat!!!

Cats are a waste of time, the modern cat living in the semi d would ****te bricks at a rat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

Cats are a waste of time, the modern cat living in the semi d would ****te bricks at a rat.

Not mine. The male cat is a little killer! Kept bringing me presents til I put a bell on him!

So I survived the night by getting drunk and riding til I conked into a comatosesque sleep. We put poison out but none was touched....yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

farmchoice wrote: »
    i have some bad news for you you dont have one rat you have a lot of rats. one rat didn't eat your 4 trays of poison a good few did and then died and more are still there.

you should probably sort this out as rats do spread disease and you can get weil's disease off them easily enough.

it might be time to give rentokil a call.

One of my family in Canada; they had a serious rat infestation, as in a horde running u the stairs.. spent a small fortune on poison, then when the y got the experts in they were told that in fact by feeding the rats they were attracting them more and more. So the news was spreading; go there for food...

One house I rented, a mouse ran across my pillow one night! The landlord was very impressed that we sorted it, my pets and I. I finally rescued the mouse from the terrier who was tormenting it, and put it outside, telling it to spread the news that WE HAVE CATS AND A DOG!

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Lauren3142

kill him with a green bucket its what i did

best thread ever :L

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Lauren3142

There was another rat i put poision down for it worked but he died in the walls and the stench of him for weeks was actually inhumane

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

Glenster wrote: »
    Your boyfriend and the rat are having an affair.

A love rat.

Don't kill it whatever you do..they're sacred in India..or is that pigs? ..or cows?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭jiltloop

Watch this documentary http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0382932/ and enjoy tasty meals everyday afterwards with your new personal chef.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

Lauren3142 wrote: »
    There was another rat i put poision down for it worked but he died in the walls and the stench of him for weeks was actually inhumane

It's a smell that cannot be unsmelt.

I dont know why I keep reading this thread. Rats freak me out. Reading this thread is like personal immolation.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,518 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Recommendations for Cruel treatment are not allowed on this thread so understand carefully what I am saying.

Balance the rat on the head of a Golf Club and move him 300 yards away. Do you understand? You use the golf club to transport the rat a distance of about 300 yards from where you currently are.

Golf club, rat, 300 yards, problem gone. Is that understood? No cruel treatment here. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

Our neighbours farm used to and probably still does have plenty of rats, and we had plenty of cats. Dead rat on our doorstep was a regular occurrence.

Never use poison to kill a rat, not pleasant way to die and will more then likely die somewhere you can't get to and smell the place up.

Well he is gone and so is the poison....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

Well he is gone and so is the poison....

Not only a rat but a thieving rat!

Advertisement