Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying house in East Wall? Advice?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,880 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

mherlihy wrote: »
    Hi there,

I'm bought a 2 bed terraced house on Caledon Road at the end of 2015. I'm a single female in my early 30s. Prior to moving to East Wall I had always rented on the south side - in Ranelagh & Sandymount respectively.

I absolutely love living in East Wall & could not recommend it more highly. I'm from down the country originally but have also lived in the UK for almost 10 years for college/work. This northside/southside divide in Dublin is a bit ridiculous I feel. Before I moved to Dublin all I knew of the city was Grafton Street & everyone I spoke to told me to steer clear of the Northside.

Having now lived in East Wall on my own for almost 18 months I can honestly say that its a great place to live. I work pretty long hours & i walk/cycle home every evening whatever the season & never worry re safety. My neighbours are fantastic (to the point of washing my windows & changing the flat tyre on my car!), there's a real sense of community here and I've not seen one ounce of trouble. The location is so handy & to echo what some other people on here have said, with all the development thats going on nearby & in the area, I feel it is a good investment as well as a home.

When I started looking for a house, I briedly considered Stoneybatter - until I quickly realised how overpriced it is. East Wall has a lot of housing stock that is very similar to "trendier" areas like Stoneybatter but the prices are still affordable and in a great location - near town, the luas & the port tunnel. I think the more affordable prices are partly due to the fact that a lot of people still turn their noses up at this area - I know a lot of people who wouldnt buy here. I understand that it may not have had a great reputation in the past, but I see no reason why someone would choose not to live here now.

Best of luck & I look forward to welcoming you to Caledon Road should you take the plunge to buy! 😊

Wow! You registered on boards.ie especially to write that. You are so thoughtful. All the much vaunted east wall friendliness has rubbed off on you!

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Alicano

Hey OP. Just wondering how you got on or what happened in the end? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭superman28

For me EastWall is a bit of a hidden gem (and for me the only part of central Dublin where there is still a bit of value left in the Property market).

As mentioned, Its an up and coming place.. I agree it is like Ringsend used to be or Stoneybatter.. I walked through here for 4 years on my way to and from work. It has a nice community feel about the place.

Just look at all the development in Dublin, from the New Central Bank down towards the Point Village Shopping Centre (currently empty apart from a cinema).. This whole area is being redeveloped and will be shortly full of young professionals all looking for a place to live.

And those little terraced houses have a little garden and plenty of parking.. so what more do you want..

There are a few empty Nama Office blocks around East Wall,, these will also soon be full I'm sure,,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭yer man!

Yeah there hints of a new gym going in over LIDL and the large office block beside island key is being fitted out at the moment. It's a grand area but the one thing I dislike is the rubbish all over the place, it really upsets me as it's such a simple thing that just drags an area down a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭sheepo

yer man! wrote: »
    Yeah there hints of a new gym going in over LIDL and the large office block beside island key is being fitted out at the moment. It's a grand area but the one thing I dislike is the rubbish all over the place, it really upsets me as it's such a simple thing that just drags an area down a bit.

I actually rang DCC about a load of rubbish dumped on East Road recently and they had it cleared up in a few hours fair play to them. It obviously could have been in their sights already but I was still impressed. It looked like there was a lot of documents and stuff in the pile so hopefully a few fines get dished out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭yer man!

Yeah to be fair it is cleaned up quickly. Just really annoys me when I see people walking down the street on East road and throwing rubbish on the ground. Usually it's kids but I've seen a lot of older adults doing it too. Someone discarded an entire mattress on the footpath a few months ago. I'm sure when the office block is finished and Facebook have moved in the place will be cleaned a bit more regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭KerryConnor

We moved to East Wall 9 years ago and it's definitely not rough and dangerous. That sort of snobbery is annoying! The only real issue we've had is about 5 years ago someone tried to steal our car and a neighbour scared them off and rang the Guards. But nothing other than that. I wouldn't walk home from town alone at night but then I wouldn't have done that when we lived in Dublin 8 either. It's about as strong a local community as you can get. Very good community centre, the Sean O'Casey with lots going on.

The location is the big thing for me though. City center is 25 mins walk, IFSC 15 mins. The coastal cycle path to Sutton starts on East Wall road which I love. We have spent a lot of time in Fairview park since having kids and it's a great city park. You would have some characters hanging around sometimes but I would expect that from any city park.

Good luck with your decision!

mayanna wrote: »
    I'm currently househunting. Looking for a two bed with some sort of backyard. Recently I came across a house on Caledon Road and fell in love with it. I really liked the area and the realtor said its a real community with neighbours looking out for each other which is what im looking for! Currently I'm renting in Ranelagh. Im aware that the areas drastically differ but will never afford to buy here. Anyone I talk to is really against East Wall saying its really rough and dangerous. Im female and buying on my own and haven't decided if ill rent the second room. Im not originally from Dublin and feel they're being over dramatic. Is East Wall really that bad?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 dutch.irish

Hi,

I am getting a 2 bed mid terrace house in Caledon Court, East Road, East Wall and it's around 310k. I wanted to know if it is safe to buy the house? My plan is to live there for few years and then give the house to a family on rent as I will be moving to my home country. I am mainly concerned with safety as I found the place dark and not well maintained when i went to visit and also its looked like a industrial zone, may be that particular road was like that but I do want to know about the safety aspect of walking alone at night or my wife late commute by bus. I am looking in EW due to my restricted budget and my need to rent in future otherwise I would have bought a bit far from city to be more safer. We are from India.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

It's not worth that price

I wanted to know if it is safe to buy the house?

I am looking in EW due to my restricted budget and my need to rent in future otherwise I would have bought a bit far from city to be more safer.

Safety wouldn't really be the primary concern I'd see here. As a city centre location there's always a small risk, but generally I don't think it's an unsafe area. I'd love to live in East Wall - it's a great area for professionals working in the IFSC, walking distance to town, and the older terraces are a well established community.

That said, it does sound a little misaligned with your needs. You're paying a huge premium for a city centre location, but you say you're on a restricted budget. I'm not sure paying so much for location is an efficient use of your funds. A couple of reasons:

1. The value of the area is greatly inflated by the stream of businesses flowing into the IFSC - something which is now threatened by the future of working from home. Working from home is highly accessible to people in financial and tech roles, which also happen to be two of the major industries in the area.
    2. You specifically want to rent to a family in the future. There are plenty of families living in East Wall, but most people I know want to live in the city centre when they're in their 20s starting their career and then tend to want to move further out as their income improves and their priorities move towards starting a family.

If you're locked into a sale I wouldn't want to deter you, but if you're still looking around I do think you could benefit by looking around a bit farther from the city.

I'd be very interested as to how you ended up choosing East Wall on a restricted budget - perhaps it was due to work location?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Jizique

Hi,

I am getting a 2 bed mid terrace house in Caledon Court, East Road, East Wall and it's around 310k. I wanted to know if it is safe to buy the house? My plan is to live there for few years and then give the house to a family on rent as I will be moving to my home country. I am mainly concerned with safety as I found the place dark and not well maintained when i went to visit and also its looked like a industrial zone, may be that particular road was like that but I do want to know about the safety aspect of walking alone at night or my wife late commute by bus. I am looking in EW due to my restricted budget and my need to rent in future otherwise I would have bought a bit far from city to be more safer. We are from India.

I think you are nuts...
    If you return to India, you may never see any rent; what will you do when your tenant decides not to pay? Also, there are tax issues with non-residents.
    There may well be issues of an Indian family living in East Wall - it is a close knit local working class community with some of the challenges that brings

Safety wouldn't really be the primary concern I'd see here. As a city centre location there's always a small risk, but generally I don't think it's an unsafe area. I'd love to live in East Wall - it's a great area for professionals working in the IFSC, walking distance to town, and the older terraces are a well established community.

That said, it does sound a little misaligned with your needs. You're paying a huge premium for a city centre location, but you say you're on a restricted budget. I'm not sure paying so much for location is an efficient use of your funds. A couple of reasons:

1. The value of the area is greatly inflated by the stream of businesses flowing into the IFSC - something which is now threatened by the future of working from home. Working from home is highly accessible to people in financial and tech roles, which also happen to be two of the major industries in the area.
    2. You specifically want to rent to a family in the future. There are plenty of families living in East Wall, but most people I know want to live in the city centre when they're in their 20s starting their career and then tend to want to move further out as their income improves and their priorities move towards starting a family.

If you're locked into a sale I wouldn't want to deter you, but if you're still looking around I do think you could benefit by looking around a bit farther from the city.

I'd be very interested as to how you ended up choosing East Wall on a restricted budget - perhaps it was due to work location?

Hi, thanks it was due to my long term need to rent it out as I will be eventually moving out to my home country.

Jizique wrote: »
    I think you are nuts...
    If you return to India, you may never see any rent; what will you do when your tenant decides not to pay? Also, there are tax issues with non-residents.
    There may well be issues of an Indian family living in East Wall - it is a close knit local working class community with some of the challenges that brings

Hi, yeah that's why I had put the question. Thanks.

Advertisement