Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€300M Investment into Waterford City

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,764 ✭✭✭Bards

JimWinters wrote: »
    Agreed, and John Deasy’s performance is why I didn’t vote FG. Based your logic JC might deserve a vote now because of his performance on the North Quays & getting govt funding for Waterford...

Yes, and he knows if he fails to perform he will be shown the door... Next

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭tbayers

At the end of the day he has more balls than the majority on here because he actually went for office and was successful on a few occasions. I didn't vote for him this time around as I thought there were better candidates.

But credit where credit is due, he is entitled to it in respect to the North Quays. Especially when the people involved name check him and others.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭Dunmoreroader

https://kclr96fm.com/e110-million-funding-for-north-quays-is-hugely-important-for-south-kilkenny-says-deputy-phelan/

Great to see 'South Kilkenny's North Quays' getting such huge investment and apparently the wider Southeast will benefit too. Not sure if Waterford will get anything out of it as it doesn't get mentioned until the bottom of paragraph 6.
    Still, mustn't begrudge our neighbour's good fortune.:rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭smellyoldboot

hardybuck wrote: »
    Could you give an example of another profession where an individual would receive summary dismissal for attending an event in your personal time, when the organisers didn't follow the public health guidelines properly?

For the record I think Cummins had displayed naivety and poor judgement, but genuinely interested to see how your suggestion might play out in the real world.

Worth noting that as an elected official he will have 3-4 years in the Seanad to try and rectify his mistakes and then try and secure enough votes from people in Waterford to get into the Dàil, or from around the country for the Seanad. He might even look to get back on the Council.

Worth noting also that he lost the FG whip he is effectively excluded from the party now.

There's plenty of examples really if you think about it where actions/events that may seem innocuous to a regular citizen would be serious misconduct depending on the specific role.

I/you could attend a political rally for an extreme right/left wing political party but for most company executives that would be career suicide.

A Chief Justice was advised to resign for attending that very same event given the specific responsibilities of his role and how his behaviour reflected on that.

John Boy decided to lie low for a few weeks and crawl back out then when he thought he could capitalise on good news.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Ah come on now, we have enough of the inter-county politics going one without getting hysterical.

One of the six paragraphs is 10 words long, and the first 4 are editorial while paragraphs 5 and 6 are entirely quotes and both paragraphs mention Waterford. The actual point, in fairness, is that the development is obviously good for Waterford, South Kilkenny, and the region as a whole.

So, yea...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Muttley79

https://kclr96fm.com/e110-million-funding-for-north-quays-is-hugely-important-for-south-kilkenny-says-deputy-phelan/

Great to see 'South Kilkenny's North Quays' getting such huge investment and apparently the wider Southeast will benefit too. Not sure if Waterford will get anything out of it as it doesn't get mentioned until the bottom of paragraph 6.
    Still, mustn't begrudge our neighbour's good fortune.:rolleyes:

There exactly is the problem with this region.not until Kilkenny Carlow Wexford and Waterford all start pulling together as a region then we can benefit massively together but Kilkenny and the likes constantly try and get one over on waterford.they would rather send their kids to university to Dublin cork Limerick than ever get a Waterford university over the line and we all benefit together.look how much Kerry, Tipperary and Clare benefit from being in between cork Limerick and Galway.hopefully this project makes the other counties in the south east see some sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Dum_Dum

Muttley79 wrote: »
    There exactly is the problem with this region.not until Kilkenny Carlow Wexford and Waterford all start pulling together as a region then we can benefit massively together but Kilkenny and the likes constantly try and get one over on waterford.they would rather send their kids to university to Dublin cork Limerick than ever get a Waterford university over the line and we all benefit together.look how much Kerry, Tipperary and Clare benefit from being in between cork Limerick and Galway.hopefully this project makes the other counties in the south east see some sense.

The state of the old N9 and that ridiculous 'shopping centre' they built on the county boundary tells you everything you need to know about Kilkenny politicans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Actually I'd flip that reaction on it's head and quote this and he's not wrong
    Once you go from Mullinavat down, most people do their business and many go to school or college in the Waterford area. With the development of the North Quays, it means not everyone now will have to cross the river to receive many of those services, but also it’s about creating a bigger attraction in Waterford for tourism, visitors and business into the future” he explained. “That’s crucially important for South Kilkenny as well, so many people in South Kilkenny work there and have family connections, indeed themselves or their children have been educated in third level in Waterford too. So this is a massive development for the whole region, including South Kilkenny.”

So it's a tacit acknowledgment that the only game in South Kilkenny is Waterford and every day people drive past that empty block just up the road which has failed everyone in South Kilkenny (even if it was plonked there to try and fail Waterford!).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,764 ✭✭✭Bards

mayordenis wrote: »
    Ah come on now, we have enough of the inter-county politics going one without getting hysterical.

One of the six paragraphs is 10 words long, and the first 4 are editorial while paragraphs 5 and 6 are entirely quotes and both paragraphs mention Waterford. The actual point, in fairness, is that the development is obviously good for Waterford, South Kilkenny, and the region as a whole.

So, yea...
    ... And when the NQ is completed Waterford will no longer be overlooked or thought of as an "also ran" when it comes to recognising the 5 cities of the Republic.... We will become a destination and be classified as the New cool kid... The 2020s will be our decade

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Bards wrote: »
    ... And when the NQ is completed Waterford will no longer be overlooked or thought of as an "also ran" when it comes to recognising the 5 cities of the Republic.... We will become a destination and be classified as the New cool kid... The 2020s will be our decade

We can live in hope ...... but I would not bet my house shed on it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭imacman

Bards wrote: »

Cant see that happening , also touting the NQ as the solution to all of Waterfords problems is naïve.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,167 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Look the Government have made a decision on this now. There's going to be a lot of money spent on this and other capital investment projects around the country next year.

We can't take this for granted. Last time we had a recession the country couldn't borrow money and this time the conditions are different and we can and are to pay for projects like this.

We can be hopeful of a vaccine next year. We can look forward to a lot of investment in the economy next year. While I have reservations about this project, I will look forward to seeing what they can do now they have the mandate to get the job done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭BBM77

We can live in hope ...... but I would not bet my house shed on it!
    imacman wrote: »
    Cant see that happening , also touting the NQ as the solution to all of Waterfords problems is naïve.

For god sake lads! Waterford has pulled of the largest state urban renewal investment ever and the largest single private sector investment in Ireland ever. How could Waterford not be considered as one of the five main cities in the country and the next decade looking very bright for Waterford after that? Snap out of your glumness and look at the reality.

Sometimes I think if a Chuck Feeney type turned up in Waterford with a billion dollars there'd a chorus of people saying he was actually broke and it's all an elaborate con.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

BBM77 wrote: »
    For god sake lads! Waterford has pulled of the largest state urban renewal investment ever and the largest single private sector investment in Ireland ever. How could Waterford not be considered as one of the five main cities in the country and the next decade looking very bright for Waterford after that? Snap out of your glumness and look at the reality.

'One swallow does not a Summer make' ......... there is no indication that the attitude to Waterford has changed, only that a large project has been funded - finally.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

'One swallow does not a Summer make' ......... there is no indication that the attitude to Waterford has changed, only that a large project has been funded - finally.

People won’t believe it will happen until they see swarms of yellow jackets and dozens of tower cranes all over the site....!

One step closer but corona virus 🦠 might play a big ‘roll’ yet.....some of the proposed building could be used as hand sanitizer manufacturers if things went ‘pair’ shaped....?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,071 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Asdfgh2020 wrote:
    People won’t believe it will happen until they see swarms of yellow jackets and dozens of tower cranes all over the site....!

Understandable, but it's all systems go, as far as I can see, I'm sure it 'll be impressive to watch coming together

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Gardner

I could go back to my post a few months back and quote it and I will still say this won't go ahead.

A tranche of money has been attributed to the project. There is very little substance to that tranche. Nothing has gone to tender yet for an evaluation attributable to that tranche. What happens when they get to the next % milestone of Civil/Structural design and the Government send out those packages and they come back well above the initial tranche? Who going to pay for that? It certainly won't be the Falcon.

This is a political stunt and they will blame rising construction costs and the unknowns associated with substructure/superstructure conditions and design. Does anyone think the government or Falcon will stump up an extra 20-60million if required?

When this is built will you go over the bridge to shout at it?

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Muttley79

Gardner wrote: »
    I could go back to my post a few months back and quote it and I will still say this won't go ahead.

A tranche of money has been attributed to the project. There is very little substance to that tranche. Nothing has gone to tender yet for an evaluation attributable to that tranche. What happens when they get to the next % milestone of Civil/Structural design and the Government send out those packages and they come back well above the initial tranche? Who going to pay for that? It certainly won't be the Falcon.

This is a political stunt and they will blame rising construction costs and the unknowns associated with substructure/superstructure conditions and design. Does anyone think the government or Falcon will stump up an extra 20-60million if required?

As a private company investing in the hundreds of millions I'm sure this project has gone through rigorous detail with planning, engineering and surveying in the total cost of this.this is not public taxpayers money that our government just squanders away e.g children's hospital dublin.this is private investment.you seem like a glass half empty person.this project will go ahead as the government will get back it's investment tenfold.fingers crossed this is the start of a great city and region thriving once again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭kuang1

Surely he'll take up residence under the bridge?

Won't need too as it will never be built

As a private company investing in the hundreds of millions I'm sure this project has gone through rigorous detail with planning, engineering and surveying in the total cost of this.this is not public taxpayers money that our government just squanders away e.g children's hospital dublin.this is private investment.you seem like a glass half empty person.this project will go ahead as the government will get back it's investment tenfold.fingers crossed this is the start of a great city and region thriving once again

The problem is they haven't gone through a "rigorous detail" of engineering and surveying. It's still very much in it's infancy. Planning doesn't require this rigorous detail hence my post above and the potential blow outs. Comparing this to the children's hospital in terms of funding and cost blow outs is a new level of stupid for boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭JohnC.

It'll be like that scene from Father Ted. On opening day, as people stream in to the shops, certain people will be standing outside holding placards saying "It'll never open" and "It can't happen here" instead of "Careful now" and "Down with that sort of thing".

• Registered Users Posts: 29,071 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

JohnC. wrote: »
    It'll be like that scene from Father Ted. On opening day, as people stream in to the shops, certain people will be standing outside holding placards saying "It'll never open" and "It can't happen here" instead of "Careful now" and "Down with that sort of thing".

that sounds like a bit of craic, we should do this

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

Will there a website for people expressing an interest moving to Waterford to live in the North Quay or will it crash from tot much interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭gw80

vriesmays wrote: »
    Will there a website for people expressing an interest moving to Waterford to live in the North Quay or will it crash from tot much interest.

There will a website for the north quay(s), it's called.
    Www.go suck a lemon.com.
    You are welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,167 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Cost overruns are the norm in the construction sector. Research indicates that large capital projects on average take 20% longer to finish and cost 80% more to complete than envisaged. It's just that when it happens in the private sector you don't hear anything about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Micky Bluenips

Gardner wrote: »
    The problem is they haven't gone through a "rigorous detail" of engineering and surveying. It's still very much in it's infancy. Planning doesn't require this rigorous detail hence my post above and the potential blow outs. Comparing this to the children's hospital in terms of funding and cost blow outs is a new level of stupid for boards.ie

I was giving you benefit of doubt but then seen you thanked vriesmay. Jaysus when he's backing you up, your in trouble. Maybe the quiet fella is in your gang as well.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭smellyoldboot

Let's not forget we are still in the stages of our excitement being based off what someone said they are "going to do". Manys the road to the poorhouse that's been laid on broken promises. Let's wait until something actually gets done before lavishing praise on would be saviours or criticism on seeming naysayers.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement