Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do pensions have a future? SPOILER: doom & gloom!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Merowig

I know that currently state and public service pensions are funded by taxation. Private pensions are paid from some kind of stock market magic... The main thing being that the money contributed to pension funds is not guaranteed. It's not locked away somewhere to wait for me, it goes to bulk up in a money-gym!

will result in a smaller workforce, smaller tax base, more pensioners drawing state pensions, smaller economies resulting in less stock market magic(?) and surplus of property.

You do not need to have your pension fund invested in shares. You can usually advise them to hold bonds or to hold even cash.
    The stock market magic has the highest returns historically though. Cash will be impacted by inflation...
    Furthermore you do not need to limit yourself to Irish stocks. My funds are invested globally.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭troyzer

76544567 wrote: »
    Can they? Could they also do this in the same with a bank account?

Nate

Well they have already do e it with pensions. And you couldn't stop them at all.  Just had to sit and watch.  Your pension should be cast iron safe from anybody dipping into it.
    What we have seen is that the government had no problem at all going into everyone es private pensions and helping themselves.
    Next time it will be worse.
    And they were asked to take steps to prevent this happening to pensions in future.  What do you think they did .... Ignored it.
    I probably wouldn't care so much if they swapped cash for bonds to those who were sufficiently far enough away from retirement for it not to matter.

Advertisement