Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Humans are the worst things on earth

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Living beings have basically one objective and that is to make more living beings so why should we stop breeding? Also I can safely say I've never met anyone evil so I don't really understand where you're coming from with this ridiculous thread.

It really isn't and as soon as a basic level of education is introduced the population quickly levels off. If anything the human imperative is the maximisation of pleasure and minimisation of pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,474 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Its just enough to read the comments of some articles or even here. If there was no government then there would be horrific murder everywhere, you can see this rage when you read the comments after articles when someone murders someone, you read he deserves torture and killing in the most horrible ways. If there was no police then there would be killings everywhere which tells you deep inside that everyone would kill you given the chance. It's the law that is stopping them.

Maybe, maybe not. I wouldn't take internet user comments as a yardstick for people's toughness. Most of us turn into assholes or drama queens to some degree when sitting in front of a keyboard. But we're all very nice and quiet in real life. It's a social phenomenon. We all assume the worst about everyone on the internet and we all say things we'd never say to anyone face to face.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

Its just enough to read the comments of some articles or even here. If there was no government then there would be horrific murder everywhere, you can see this rage when you read the comments after articles when someone murders someone, you read he deserves torture and killing in the most horrible ways. If there was no police then there would be killings everywhere which tells you deep inside that everyone would kill you given the chance. It's the law that is stopping them.

Probably for some. However I wonder who created the law?

Was it penguins?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Oh, the humanity!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

And on the bright side...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

b79fdccd20c7a47c9557e8b1b4383c77_cheer-up-meme-google-search-funny-memes-to-cheer-up-a-friend_501-375.jpeg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I try to be positive all my life then something happens or someone and destroys everything and you are back at zero.
    Mostly by choice. By focusing on the negative you take those steps back to "zero".
    Life is ****,
    Nope it's not.
    I feel so unlucky sometimes.
    There are quite literally billions of people alive as we speak who were born into far more "unlucky" circumstances than you.
    I was happy once then something happened and someone from my family died, I got past that then something else happens and this always keeps happening.
    OK.
    Like you look at the general population and see that they have great lives they have their perfect family and all other nice things
    Eh no they don't. Or are you saying the "general population" doesn't have family members dying, or being ill, or being disabled, or facing financial ruin, marriage and relationship breakups and all sorts of negative life experiences? Eh No. Again. It would be a tad self centred and wildly lacking in perspective to think only you have these experiences.
    while you look at your life and want to give up on it.
    How one looks at one's life is what makes the ultimate difference.
    Maybe I am just not lucky enough because I work and work but ****ty things keep happening outside of control.
    So just like pretty much everybody else? In the end life can be good, life can be bad and it can swing from one to the other(though rarely completely in either direction). That goes for everyone. However being born in a western liberal culture with a lot of social support and where the chances of you going to bed hungry tonight are low means you, we, all of us won the life lottery.

Your worldview colours your experiences and how you react to those experiences. They are not neutral or down to "luck". Change that worldview (therapy for example) and that worldview should change. I have personally found that the mantra "get over yourself" has worked wonders for me when I became - as I see it - self indulgent and wilfully lacking in perspective.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭Ozzy

Focus on understanding yourself better, if you want to help yourself. Use your mind to become aware of all your thoughts and feelings; try to develop and become proficient in mindfulness and vipassana meditation.

This society is built on an egoistic foundation, whereby many things that are fake, devoid of substance or meaning, are given precedence.

When you develop your understanding of the ego you can be more authentic with yourself and the people around you. Then what you say and what you feel will be harmonious, rather than the fractured discord that is there within the somnambulism of the illusion; this illusion being reinforced by all the societal power structures in place. You will operate from a place of love and selfless understanding rather than one of fear, selfishness and ignorance.

Or exercise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Drain Brain

bear1 wrote: »
    As for the rest, you can always top yourself.
    One less whinger around.

Ireland's attitude towards mental health is coming along swimmingly I see.

Wars, religion, kill, rape, steal, bully, destroy nature and animals, breed non stop. Population over 7 billion which is absolutely insane. Imagine 7 billion and still keep breeding. Do we do anything good in this world. When you meet people in this world you realise that most of them are evil and just want to hurt you in one way or another, I guess this is one reason that I don't want to interact with other as much and I am an introverted person as there is little positivity in this world from humans. There are a few good people but they are in the minority, also for some reason company managers seem to be genuine a**holes looking to put you down instead of telling you how can you improve yourself nicely, instead of accusing you and bullying you. No wonder suicide is at an all time high everywhere.

I don't mean to sound patronising, OP, but your tone here seems quite despondent and negative. Maybe you should have a chat with someone you trust or maybe chat to your doctor about your feelings in case something else underlies this that you might be able to get help with.

Life is really hard for most of us at times and sometimes it can outlast our ability to cope with it, but the bad times end and the good times are all the sweeter for it, if you let them be.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

bear1 wrote: »
    You're interacting with this forum so you've been a tad hypocritical.
    As for the rest, you can always top yourself.
    One less whinger around.

This is a pretty disgusting ****ing comment given the suicide epidemic in the country. Way out of line considering what the OP posted and how they feel. GTFO.....

• Registered Users Posts: 15,764 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I agree life is never easy and it can be a right bitch at times but it is also what you make it. Yes there are things that we have no control over and sad things will happen we will lose family and friends but thats why you should spend as much time as we can with the people close to us to value and appreciate them while they are here as none of us know when our time will come or anyone near us either. Then when the inevitable does happen at least we have good memory's to remember them by and it is also a part of life. We have to sometime have things like this unfortunately happen so we appreciate what really matters and let it makes us stronger and grow as a person.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Ireland's attitude towards mental health is coming along swimmingly I see.
    ChikiChiki wrote: »
    This is a pretty disgusting ****ing comment given the suicide epidemic in the country. Way out of line considering what the OP posted and how they feel. GTFO.....

Yep, I was stupid to have written that comment.
    Apologies to all and the OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Post deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Most people are pretty decent imo. Id say humans on average are a bit selfish, and will do whats best for them . But if they can help somebody, as long as its not a big burden on them, then they usually will. not that bad is it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

Wars, religion, kill, rape, steal, bully, destroy nature and animals, breed non stop. Population over 7 billion which is absolutely insane. Imagine 7 billion and still keep breeding. Do we do anything good in this world. When you meet people in this world you realise that most of them are evil and just want to hurt you in one way or another, I guess this is one reason that I don't want to interact with other as much and I am an introverted person as there is little positivity in this world from humans. There are a few good people but they are in the minority, also for some reason company managers seem to be genuine a**holes looking to put you down instead of telling you how can you improve yourself nicely, instead of accusing you and bullying you. No wonder suicide is at an all time high everywhere.

Its true you know. That's why I like books. You're still interacting with a person when interacting with a book but you' re getting what should be the best of them, and no 'attitude' re: you and your failings. Bit bland, however, but can be just the ticket.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

We are a direct by product of nature on this planet. We share many behaviours like greed, aggression with other living creatures. That humans fight isn't unusual, every living thing fights, what's unusual about humans is that we cooperate so much. In comparison to other living things we're fairly nice, not only to each other but often to other animals. But yeah, we do fight, we are often cruel, but like I said, that's our animal nature.

Humans are a blip, there's been natural disasters on this planet that make all the damage we've ever done look like chump change. Us damaging the planet is unenlightened animal behaviour that we've only really started (in the grand scheme of things) applying rational solutions to. It's going to take some time to change.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

Many people are evil assho's, thats true. But the majority are grand, just hard working folk who worry about their kids, put out their bins on time and tut to themselves when they see people littering.

There are worse things in this world, OP. Like cancer, ebola and the tsetse fly. Try to see the good, and just fake it until you make it. You will be surprised how effective this philosophy is.

Hang in there, OP.... :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭222233

I find people generally pleasant and warm, I try to remind myself that those who aren't so pleasant probably have a thousand battles I could never understand weighing them down. No one is born "evil" and no one is born wanting to "hurt" other people, conditioning and development will do that. We aren't the worst ever, we just exist in a really complicated era. Animals are much better then people though, definitely.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭Bredabe

I know how you feel, I really really do, I dont get why ppl are like that and why making fun or belittling others is so entertaining to others. Ive often thought that about suicide myself.

Really grinds my gears when I say "I dont want to work/interact with ppl" Im told its just my RECENT bad experiences that are colouring my outlook( I assume they assume my non recent experiences have been just peachy) In my family of origin at least 3 members are hermitic by nature.

Not sure what I can say to you to help you see the light a bit, I keep in mind what my eldest says about the ppl who bullied her in school because of her learning issues, "Damned if im going to commit suicide and give them reason to say, I always knew she was odd"

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Wibbs put it excellently in his post. Life can be pretty crap at times but it's what you do with it that counts.

There is a trite saying often stated: When life hands you lemons, make lemonade.

It's a cliché but it's also true. At the very end of 2011, I found out my mum was terminally ill with a terrible disease. It was a shock. A few months later i lost my job. I decided to try working for myself as that way i could try to cope with what was happening to me. I needed a laptop for that work and as luck would have it, within a month of me starting to work for myself, my laptop died a death! I had to spend money i didn't really have on a new laptop. Then two months later my TV died. I felt life was really kicking me in the teeth. I couldn't replace the TV for six months as i couldn't justify the spending based on what i was earning with my new business.

Did i give in? Not a hope. I reached out to people i knew and looked for business. People responded and gave me work here and there to keep me going, to pay the bills, keep my kid fed. They could have turned me away but didn't and I'm grateful for that. One year later, i had over 100k of business on the books for the next twelve months and life was improving. Then my mum died...

I found a job in Ireland and moved back here with my family. I became a manager and let me tell you, i support my team, backing them to the hilt. If they fail, i take that responsibility. If they succeed, i praise them and tell my senior managers how well they did. When my managers praise me for a job well done, i let them know that it was my team and not me. I constantly help people in my team go for promotions, new jobs in the company. Why? Because i had a crap manager once too. I know what it's like to suffer at the hands of a manager.

If you want things to change, you have to be the change you want. Only you can do that. Stop waiting for other people to make that change and playing the victim, the downtrodden. Life can be great if you want it to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭222233

It may be a bit controversial to say but I tend to notice that people with a negative outlook on life or people who tend to be very gloomy (I don't mean people who are depressed), tend to pick out the worst in others thus coming to the conclusion everything is S**t. I agree with r3nu4l, the change has to come from you.

r3nu4l wrote: »
    Only you can do that. Stop waiting for other people to make that change and playing the victim, the downtrodden. Life can be great if you want it to be.

To be fair to people suffering from depression, it's not as easy as just deciding to be proactive in making positive changes. Sometimes medical intervention is necessary until a person is in a position to think about changes clearly and enact them.

Congrats on your success after such a bleak time. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭Bredabe

Remember that its ok to not be ok,

So many ppl have told me how they overcame obstacles in their lives using this or that technique/idea/mantra. I think these things work when you are ready and not before. When I was actively depressed, family were always at me to get out of bed, shower and go to work as "I would feel better", how that was supposed to help when work was the place making me depressed and forcing me to go was just making my symptoms worse, not sure.

I eventually saw an alternative health practitioner and she helped me see the next right step for me(but ppl have to be in the right mindset for it), often times we have to figure in the cumulative effects of things like bad experiences/relationships/systematic difficulties, before the next step can be seen.

Be kind to yourself, clean your life of influences(as much as you can at the time) that are bringing you down. Mind you, the world will not end if you do and noone will thank you if you dont.

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

Humans are not from Earth originally according to some theories. We were sent to this "punishment planet" centuries ago because of our inherent bad ways

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Candie wrote: »
    To be fair to people suffering from depression, it's not as easy as just deciding to be proactive in making positive changes. Sometimes medical intervention is necessary until a person is in a position to think about changes clearly and enact them.

Congrats on your success after such a bleak time. :)
    Unfortunately, I know all about depression, suicidal thoughts, medication and CBT. What i said still stands, if you want change, it has to come from within. It's change, accept the status quo*, or give up. The latter two just weren't an option for me.

*Not the band ;) i liked 'in the army now' :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭kravmaga

Were you put on a PIP by your boss by any chance? lol

Jaysus cheer up a bit will ya

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

I know it's easier said than done, but try not dwell on possible negative outcomes of anything, as it domino's into something not real i.e. something that has not happened yet.

Since our reality is determined by how we think (how we see life), then the main obstacle between us and the desire to be happy is one single fact: we are not happy because of how we think. Through evolution our minds are hardwired to focus on threats, and the more you ruminate on negative thoughts, the more power you give them. Try to be more optimistic in life; that doesn't mean ignoring the uglier 'things' that happen on this planet, it just means focusing on the positive as much as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

Humans are nothing short of animals really

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

imme wrote: »
    Humans are nothing short of animals really

We are animals.

Kingdom: Animalia
    Phylum: Chordata
    Class: Mammalia
    Order: Primates
    Suborder: Haplorhini